• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Size (PS5) vs Silence (Xbox SeX) - which is more important to you?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Seeing a lot of people react to the new Xbox' size, saying 'it won't fit in my setup' and such. It made me wonder: What do you care more about?

Phil Spencer said yesterday that the Xbox SeX will be 'super silent'. Assuming that PS5 is regular console-sized and ignores the loudness of its internal fans, which do you find more important?

(Yes, there's the chance that somehow PS5 is smalll AND silent, or that it's big and silent like Xbox. For the sake of this thread we'll assume Microsoft isn't entirely incompetent)

Personally, I NEED silent hardware. It's the One X' best feature imo. Coming from a regular PS4, One X felt so nice for its silence alone. If it takes a bigger case to make that possible, that's fine with me. Better than a loud console ruining quiet moments in games.

AnotherOne

I'll take the x

luVl3tv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Even if it's only ~2tf less than the Xbox, you still can't cram that into a launch PS4-sized case without RRoD style heat problems. Just look at the venting on the devkits, the hardware generates a lot of heat.
Ok, so we don't actually know what the hardware is at all the. Just checking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS4 was fucking loud.

Mine was and isn't. Launch unit, still going strong and quiet. I pop the top and dust off the fan once every 2 years or so.

The PS3 Phat, now that sumbitch is what you call loud. Hairdryer loud. 360 too. Though I have a PS3 SS that is whisper quiet, so they improved it eventually.

Last edited:

nowhat

Unless Sony invented cold fusion to cool their system with magic, it's going to be bigger than people want.
We know fuck all of either console. Including thermal requirements and cooling solutions. And size (when it comes to PS5). And so on. Just a novel idea, but wouldn't this thread make more sense when we have at least some understanding of both consoles?

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I don't care about either. I only want it to work, be fast and have good graphics. Whether it is loud or silent, small or large makes little difference to me.

Yes! The simple and "Boring" design of the XS will probably keep a nice and cool temperature without fans going full throttle... Like my loud ass PS4 trying to take off into the skies. People need to understand that both the XS and PS5 will have beefy specs and will usually have an awkward design... Performance over design is 102% important. *In my opinion*

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Size does matter.
The lies with the motion of the ocean yeah if you are small you try to hit the walls so you wiggle around till she gets sea sick.

Honestly to me it has to be silent.
Dont care how big or ugly it is

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

-Arcadia-

Banned
I just want:

-A stable, lasting console
-For it to not sound like a rocket
-Great tech to last the decade it will probably be out

As such, while I do appreciate a small, attractive design, I’m willing to sacrifice that to some extent, for the very best device possible.

Likewise, although it seems like it’ll be a bit awkward horizontally, I quite like the design here. It’s the first ‘non-DVD player’ look for gaming in a while.

DESTROYA

Xbox XS looks about the size of a shoebox which isn’t exactly big, it’s just the dimensions are different.
Personally I would always take a more silent console but a lot of other factors go into buying one.
If everything is equal hardware wise then yes I’d take the more silent one every time.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My tolerance for noise is quite OK, so within certain limits I would probably prefer smaller formfactor over less noise, but I think the extra space has another, more important effect: Less prone to overheating. It is becaus of this factor, that I chose larger, yet more quite.

93xfan

Banned
I have one in my front right now... it is very quiet.
Launch model.

The only times I saw it starting to get loud is when you left some games in menu... few games do that too.

So it does get loud at times. Glad to see you admit that after saying there is no sound problem. Especially as my launch PS3, launch PS4 and PS4 Pro were all loud. Sony better learn from over a decade of complaints...

or maybe they don’t want to because they want to sell you the Slim down the line.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I kinda want the PS5 to be a bizarre looking console to watch some heads explode.

What if they are both ugly/huge?

• LOL

ethomaz

Banned
So it does get loud at times. Glad to see you admit that after saying there is no sound problem. Especially as my launch PS3, launch PS4 and PS4 Pro were all loud. Sony better learn from over a decade of complaints...

or maybe they don’t want to because they want to sell you the Slim down the line.
Rarely... just that specific case I told you... when you left some games in menu for after one minute or more (I think I have three or four games that do that).
In gameplay it is always quiet.
I never brought any other console except launch one... I'm for sure not the Slim or Pro target.

Last edited:

dolabla

I don't mind a bigger console (not too big though) if it's built to keep the system cool. Don't want another RROD or YLOD.

ethomaz

Banned
Unless Sony invented cold fusion to cool their system with magic, it's going to be bigger than people want.
So this doesn't existis? It is probably match (o maybe stronger than) any next-gen hardware... and it have a good screen yet.

back-left_4_6.png

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I don't care how big it is, as long as it's silent. Sony can't repeat their mistake with the Pro.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Don't care, I roll with a Surround Sound set up so I don't hear it.
A bit of both would be nice though ideal though
And for it not to overheat.
But I think that was a PS3/360 era thing.
I've never had to replace a PS4 yet, that's impressive.

Top tips for a quieter console:

• Remove any discs that are in there if you aren't using it. My X sounds like a fucking washing machine if I leave a disc in.
  • Vac out the vents, front and back, at least once a month to prevent dust smothering the components. Placing your hand over the front vents while vaccing out the back and visa versa, helps a lot.
  • Don't put them in enclosed spaces as the fans will run faster to keep the console cooled.

Nope... PS4 is very quiet.
I can't talk about X because I never had one (I can't talk about Pro or Slim too for the same reason).

No one believes you, please staph. We know your loyalty and love for Sony but you're telling us every game you play is whisper quiet and only in menus when jet engines kick in..that's some bs, especially launch PS4 has Boeing 747 engine installed for fly purposes..if need be 🤭

ethomaz

Banned
No one believes you, please staph. We know your loyalty and love for Sony but you're telling us every game you play is whisper quiet and only in menus when jet engines kick in..that's some bs, especially launch PS4 has Boeing 747 engine installed for fly purposes..if need be 🤭
So why did you reply to me?

It won't change... my PS4 continue very quiet... I can make a video to you like I did to the dude that said that PS4 menus were slow when playing games (lol).

Last edited:

DESTROYA

So this doesn't existis? It is probably match (o maybe stronger than) any next-gen hardware... and it have a good screen yet.

back-left_4_6.png
And cost 3 or 4 times more than next gen consoles .
Not sure how expensive Portuguese or Brazilian resellers sell what looks like Clevo or Tonfang chassis but building one with good specs can easily cost over 2 grand in the USA.
And as for this laptop being more powerful I doubt it unless every rumor we hear of RTX 2080 levels of performance for next gen consoles is wrong.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
And cost 3 or 4 times more than next gen consoles .
Not sure how expensive Portuguese resellers sell what looks like Clevo or Tonfang chassis but building one with good specs can easily cost over 2 grand in the USA.
And as for this laptop being more powerful I doubt it unless every rumor we hear of RTX 2080 levels of performance for next gen consoles is wrong.

"Unless Sony invented cold fusion to cool their system with magic, it's going to be bigger than people want.'

There is hardware on market that shows his claim is false.

BTW this laptop has a RTX 2080 inside lol
You can use that as reference too: https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17442776/msi-gs65-stealth-thin-gaming-laptop-review

Last edited:

StormCell

My PS4 Pro can be very loud.

If we are to consider XBSeX and PS5 to basically be about the same in capability, then I will choose silence over smaller form factor. A loud computer is one that is trying to cool itself, therefore it's hot. Heat is the enemy of hardware performance.

So why did you reply to me?

It won't change... my PS4 continue very quiet... I can make a video to you like I did to the dude that said that PS4 menus were slow when playing games (lol).
Every goddamn game, GOW , Death Stranding..etc all quiet?! Bruh, I'm pretty sure you have the X in your crib 🤣🤣🤣🤭🤭🤭🤭🙏🤜🤛

Top Bottom