• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Size (PS5) vs Silence (Xbox SeX) - which is more important to you?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

ethomaz

Banned
Every goddamn game, GOW , Death Stranding..etc all quiet?! Bruh, I'm pretty sure you have the X in your crib 🤣🤣🤣🤭🤭🤭🤭🙏🤜🤛
Yes it is quiet with all games I have... Death Stranding, Uncharted 4, GTS, DQXI, etc etc etc;

The Playstation 4 was anything but quiet. Not sure where you are getting that from...
From the PS4 that I play games every day.

Do these laptops have cold fusion?
You and the point are not in the same path lol

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Both silence and performance - people have been building ITX PCs with same/better specs for years without any compromises. Sure, without the optical drive that takes a lot of space, but at the same time limited with the cooling solutions available on the market, but X1X clearly shown that if you put a custom-made vapor chamber that fills all the available space in the case you can actually get the best of both worlds.

ethomaz

Banned
They're looking for excuses because they state clearly that the device works horizontal and vertical.
It will fit everywhere a ps4 xbone fits
Actually it didn't fit where my PS4 is no matter horizontal or vertical.
My Soundbar is less than 3cm above my PS4... anymore higher than that won't fit.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Personally? I don't care about either. All my consoles are hooked up in my media closet to the surround sound reciever. I don't see or hear any of them anyways.

ethomaz

Banned
Who you kidding, you wouldn't be caught dead with an Xbox to begin with
m7S5GEw.jpg

I won't buy a Xtower but it really doesn't fit where I put my console... so claim it can fit in any place a PS4 or XB1 fits is definitely false.

BTW most places you put a console didn't have more than 10cm in height because that is the standard in racks.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
sony probably didn't learn anything from the ps4. so ps5 will be loud. do you guys really expect them to make the same mistake?
also the problem with ps4 is not the size, i opened and the thermal paste was kinda dry, and the heat sink was blocked.
its really quiet and it has been like that for over a year

DESTROYA

"Unless Sony invented cold fusion to cool their system with magic, it's going to be bigger than people want.'

There is hardware on market that shows his claim is false.

BTW this laptop has a RTX 2080 inside lol
You can use that as reference too: https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17442776/msi-gs65-stealth-thin-gaming-laptop-review
If anything I know laptop tech and the MSI GS65 has a 80W Max Q GPU with much slower clocks than 215W desktop RTX 2080 and the desktop performs about 30%-40% better than the laptop variants .
Not a great comparison

ethomaz

Banned
If anything I know laptop tech and the MSI GS65 has a 80W Max Q GPU with much slower clocks than 215W desktop RTX 2080 and the desktop performs about 30%-40% better than the laptop variants .
Not a great comparison
Laptop RTX 2080 has clocks: -7% Boost, -9% Base... that is nowhere near 30-40%.

This MSI is probably using the cheap Max Q that has stupid performance.

images

You can find a lot of RTX 2080 laptop.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It would fit just fine.
Most racks are WAY taller than 10 cm
You saw the pic and that is your reply? It doesn't fit in my hack unless you want it to cover part of my TV lol
It doesn't fit where I put my PS4... it is physically impossible.

And I'm sure most racks with place to these devices didn't support Xtower too.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yep, it won't fit under the speaker but fine in front of it.
Something tells me that if the ps5 is of similar dimensions it will magically fit just fine :messenger_grinning_squinting:
It won't fit in front covering my TV... in both way you are thinking it won't fit.

I will take pics using a tennis box.

Edit - I used the subwoffer.

BleUdI5.jpg

oX1W1x5.jpg

I just realized I took the pictures without turn the light on or use night mode lol

Last edited:

intbal

Size, shape, noise. All irrelevant to me.
I just don't want to play any more 30fps games.
If it needs to be the size of a rottweiler, so be it. I can always set it on the floor.

CrisPy2019

Silence is much more important (if that means good cooling of course)

A big box can be inside a shelf or whatever. I also have subwoofers and big speakers so Im used to having big boxes.

Loud consoles destroy the immersion when playing silent passages without headphones. And if the fan has variable speeds all the time it gets annoying.

Your brain cannot ignore sounds that change. It can ignore sounds that are always the same.

And a big box might annoy you when you dont play but stare at your equipment. A loud console annoys you while you play.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Laptop RTX 2080 has clocks: -7% Boost, -9% Base... that is nowhere near 30-40%.
When we are talking 80W 2080 MQ over a 215W 2080 yes we are read your own graphs you posted

MVvHNjV.jpg

Those are laptop variants of the RTX 2080

2080 MQ 80W
2080 150W+ like the AW m51......about a 10%-15% boost over 2080MQ
2080 215W desktop........about a 10%-15 boost over full power laptop 2080

All variants have about 10%-15% performance gap between them, so yes a desktop 2080 should perform at least 30% better than the 2080MQ.

RTX 2080 Max-Q vs RTX 2080 Laptop vs RTX 2080 Desktop – Official Specs

RTX 2080 Max-QRTX 2080 (Laptop) RTX 2080 (Desktop)
CUDA Cores294429442944
RTX-OPS37 T53 T60 T
Giga Rays/s578
Boost Clock (MHz)109515901800
Base Clock (MHz)73513801515
Thermal Design Power80-90 W150+ W225 W
Memory SpeedUp to 14 GbpsUp to 14 Gbps14 Gbps
Memory Config8 GB GDDR68 GB GDDR68 GB GDDR6
Memory Interface Width256-bit256-bit256-bit
Memory Bandwidt GB/sec448448448

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
After the one x silent. Size I'm not concerned about I have a full sized entertainment center. I chose function over minimal looks.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't really care. I have a relatively large PC sitting next to my TV. Actually one next to both TVs. Ages ago when my PC sat on a desk, I had a setup with shelves that could be moved around to accommodate something large. The thing isn't that big on its side. It looks smaller than a typical receiver. If the Xbox games didn't come to PC, all I would really care about are the games. I'd put the thing on the floor if I needed to.

nowhat

Top tips for a quieter console:
  • Remove any discs that are in there if you aren't using it. My X sounds like a fucking washing machine if I leave a disc in.
  • Vac out the vents, front and back, at least once a month to prevent dust smothering the components. Placing your hand over the front vents while vaccing out the back and visa versa, helps a lot.
  • Don't put them in enclosed spaces as the fans will run faster to keep the console cooled.
Solid tips, but especially if you have an launch PS4 or Pro, one more. Both can (not necessarily will, it's dumb luck basically) have a manufacturing (or assembly) flaw that really shouldn't exist - that the thermal paste is poorly applied (and it's not very high quality to begin with). Changing the thermal paste will void your warranty so the usual warnings apply, but really, if you've ever put a PC together you should have the required skills. There are several guides/YouTube videos available online for instructions.

....but as said, the usual warnings apply, I'm not responsible for people tinkering with their consoles.

Edit: oh one more, if you have a Slim or a Pro, the top comes off without any tools so you can easily clean some of the innards. This will not void your warranty - it does take a bit of force and I was quite certain I'm going to break the top cover first time I removed it, but it's really quite sturdy plastic (which also makes it a bit trickier to remove). Again, instructions can be found online.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Top tips for a quieter console:

• Remove any discs that are in there if you aren't using it. My X sounds like a fucking washing machine if I leave a disc in.
  • Vac out the vents, front and back, at least once a month to prevent dust smothering the components. Placing your hand over the front vents while vaccing out the back and visa versa, helps a lot.
  • Don't put them in enclosed spaces as the fans will run faster to keep the console cooled.

I’ve heard that the second point can damage fans? Although this is much less desirable for most people, it probably is better to open it up and blow it out with a can of compressed air.

It is possible to make a big console that doesn't like like a pile of shit, too. Not bulky, flatter etc.

That being said, I'd prefer a less powerful, smaller, sleeker console that is quiet. Otherwise, just get a tower pc?

I’ve heard that the second point can damage fans? Although this is much less desirable for most people, it probably is better to open it up and blow it out with a can of compressed air.

Vac it while it's turned off and don't vac the fans so hard that they're spinning their nuts off. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Compressed air is also an option

LordOfChaos

The trio of priorities, in this order

1) Performance. There's no replacement for displacement, and especially on the same architectures launching around the same date around the same price (if that's all true), wattage rules. Give me tonnes of thermal dissipation.

2) Silence. No distractions pls. Simple enough

3) Size. It matters, but I'll deal.

GHG

I legitimately read the title as: "size or silent sex?"

Yes I've been drinking...

Last edited:

12Dannu123

Not with the hardware they're going with.

Microsoft hardware design -----------------> Sony hardware.

Microsoft's hardware these days is top notch and the tech industry agrees. Sony's hardware has gone downhill and innovation at the company died with it.

I expect the PS5 to be the be smaller, but it'll be much much louder and also likely be at risk of overheating due to its size.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Microsoft hardware design -----------------> Sony hardware.

Microsoft's hardware these days is top notch and the tech industry agrees.

Except for the Surface Books that a glued shut making repairs near impossible. But yes, you're correct. Everything but those Surface Books is really good.

12Dannu123

Except for the Surface Books that a glued shut making repairs near impossible. But yes, you're correct. Everything but those Surface Books is really good.

That's nothing to do with crappy hardware and more to do with intentional design and engineering.

Codes 208

Just occurred to me, has it been confirmed whether or not the controller is battery operated or are they switching over to chargeable? As much as i love my eneloops, the switch pro controller has proven you can have a high quality wireless controller without the ds4’s level of shit battery life.

Just occurred to me, has it been confirmed whether or not the controller is battery operated or are they switching over to chargeable? As much as i love my eneloops, the switch pro controller has proven you can have a high quality wireless controller without the ds4’s level of shit battery life.

Nah, I prefer batteries. Even the best built-in battery dies eventually and then you need a new controller - worse, however, your usage time becomes shorter and shorter and it just keeps getting more annoying. With regular batteries, you just put in fresh ones and it's as new.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft changes that.

Fbh

Between the 2 I do prefer silence over size.
Though I often play with headphones so it being quiet isn't that important to me either.

What I want more than either of those things is durability and good build quality. A console that will last me the entire gen without giving me issues.

Codes 208

Nah, I prefer batteries. Even the best built-in battery dies eventually and then you need a new controller - worse, however, your usage time becomes shorter and shorter and it just keeps getting more annoying. With regular batteries, you just put in fresh ones and it's as new.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft changes that.
Ive had my switch pro controller for nearly three years and i honestly have yet to notice any changes in the battery life.

Xenon

My launch PS4 is not bad most of the time. But on a few games games it's pretty horrible. I'm more worried about the big hard clunk it does when I turn it on and off.

Norse

Wonder if ps5 looks like SX which is why MS showed theirs first. Now that would be crazy.

Twin towers on you TV stand 😲

Last edited:
Top Bottom