• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SLTTP: Final Fantasy 7 (ongoing playthrough; old game so spoilers aren't tagged)

Dice//

Banned
FF7logo.jpg

SLTTP?: This isn't my actual first time playing, so it's only "sorta late". I played the game for the first time when it was released, I was about 8-9 years old; then I did it again a few years after, but life got in the way. Anyways, I didn't really understand much of it or get much out of it. Now I'm a bit older and wiser and thought I'd take another shot at it. And I'm having fun with it! So I thought I'd share how it's going for what is one of the biggest RPG classics, like, ever... so yay!

Gameplay
  • The split between the Midgar segment feels a lot like FFX; it's more up close, linear, and deals with the one plot thread. But then you're introduced to the World Map and almost everything happens during the Gaian "World Tour"; you do a character episode for each party member, follow Sephy around and he's always just one step ahead, and deal with strange enemies while you're trying to figure out what's going on with dear little Aeris.

The battle system is wicked fast (WHAT HAPPENED FF8/9?! WHAT HAPPENED?), and I love the freedom with materia to let characters do whatever the f*** you want them to (I definitely prefer it to the freedom offered in FF12, but thass just me).

I also love that there's mini-games. Everywhere. And dungeons offered much more than a lot of todays RPGs do (WHAT HAPPENED TALES OF XILLIA? WHAT HA--). Hell, the Shinra building basically offered some cool new gimmick every floor and it's barely short of things to fight. On top of the espionage mission in toilet.

I'm still kinda early in the game [again], but I'll report back with more piddly remarks or grand insights.

RGk6x85.gif

Graphics
  • Eeeeeh. HMMM. Euuugh. Yeah. Coming off of 1997 where '96 had amazing sprite work and by '99 the series had much better 3D; it's super rough. The battle sprites look good though. And the Final Fantasy series has never had a problem with making some cool looking monsters and animating them to look absolutely brilliant.

The CG is still super rough, blocky, and just kinda strange to watch. But it does the job, and who doesn't love a cutscene?

However, the unsung hero in all this has to be the menu portraits for this game. They are PERFECT. Also a real big help since the graphics are...what they are. I thought they were what really help me picture the characters best
    menu-phs.png

However, FF13 wins for the sexiest and their 1-second animated portraits.

On a final graphical note: Anyone else miss pre-rendered backgrounds? I always thought they had a certain-something to them (and certainly better to explore those than FF13's corridor saga even despite the graphical leap it has). There's also an amazing level of detail that was sort of lost when everything went into full 3D in some games.
    5RmGPFV.gif

Music
  • With the exception of the main battle theme (it's good, just not good enough to listen to *every*single*battle*) I love this OST. I love that it's much more...melancholy? There aren't many particularly chipper town themes (like FFIV wearily/cheese-ily gave us). But themes like Oppressed People really set the mood. The main character themes are amazing (which, Mind Blown: Barret's theme is a more up-beat version of his town North Corel) and the boss theme is damn addictive [to also play in Theatrhythm].

Random Thoughts

= C'mon, Cloud and Aeris' hair look ridiculous even by JRPG standards. Shit, Zack's hair looks like its been glitched so bad it can even be rendered properly.
Zack-ffvii-field.png

= Yeah I called her Aeris > Aerith. I find the former rolls of the tongue a lot better (Aeris/'heiress'?) than the latter. And since I don't have a dub to worry about, I'm keeping Aeris.

= For Aeris being one of the last surviving member of her ancient species... Everyone sure treats her like shit (Shinra and Barret firing guns off right next to her; Hojo putting her in a glass tube with a possibly feral animal [Red], and everyone still having her fight giant monsters).
Like, get that girl her own pope-mobile or something.
Oh well, It doesn't matter, BECAUSE IT CATCHES UP WITH HER IN THE END DAMMIT. :mad:

= On that note. What the fuck Hojo? What was the plan to go Red and Aeris to conceive a long-living Ancient? He talks about breeding the two (hopefully separately), then he puts them in a tube together to 'study' them?????

= Anyone else in the SLUMS get absolutely pissed at how awesome Aeris' house is? Like seriously, there's probably bums and pizza rotting next to where they live, meanwhile Aeris and her mum have this massive and beautiful two story cottage, quilt blankets, waterfall(!), and a giant garden. I'm surprised they're not broken into more or have people MARVELLED by this "slum" paradise.

= On that note; I find the game incredibly atmospheric where it lacks in proper visuals. Wallstreet 'feels' cool; Aeris' house 'feels' relaxing, the night when you're captured by Shinra and blood stains a number of floors feels super creepy.
D2iOXuq.jpg

= Fuck it. Tifa > Aeris. You're gettin' flirted with, childhood friend (which usually means being a jerk to Aeris since the game really pushes that angle more). While I like that Cloud and Aeris just seem to 'dig each other' (they laugh together and cutesy shit like that)... till Crisis Core reminds us she just saw Zack and wanted that.... bah. Too bad Aeris didn't stick around for Cloud's breakdown, that would've been an episode of Dr. Phil worth watching.

= I miss the cursing in FF games. It sure brought Cid and Barret to life when they cursed at...realistically things you'd probably curse at. "That f$%^&@ing Shinra" feels logically placed for the enemy they're dealing with and situation they're in. ... :p

ms9j2gx.gif

Remake? Remaster!
  • I can only imagine how dumb shit like doing the Don Corneo mansion scenario would look today... And even imagining I have trouble with it. I think this game, and its penchant for humour, just wouldn't jive with todays FF style. It's a bit of a shame. But rather, and given SE's reluctance to commit to a remake (and the resources it would *definitely* take), I think a remaster with new character models and "HD'd" pre-rendered backgrounds is more than enough; and may be best to conserve that 'nostalgic feeling' a lot of us have for FF7 while giving it that facelift (and hopefully new script) it *desperately* needs.

So how does FF7 hold up for all of you? For a long time it was THE game. But now more are happy to express their dislike of it or how 'overrated' it is.
I'm willing to call it an amazing title -- that's aged. But I wanna hear from the floor.
I'll post more as I get through it.

This message was sponsored by Theatrhythm; for making me all nostalgic and wanting to put like 5 other FFs into my backlog....dammit. :mad:

Anyways, till next post and hopefully get some dialogue going here

-Dice
O6APAN2.gif

jblank83

I've been thinking of replaying the game with an emu filter. Storybook is kind of neat, for instance. Dunno.

Anyway, have fun. Midgar is great. After that I was disappointed, but it's solid enough. The optional side quest content is especially good, imo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes yes yes yes yes!

It's Sunday evening, I don't have school tomorrow and this thread shows up.

UPDATE US FREQUENTLY. I love following people play FFVII. Anyone remember my "FFVII Revisit" when the game was launched on PC?

Dice//

Banned
I've been thinking of replaying the game with an emu filter. Storybook is kind of neat, for instance. Dunno.

Anyway, have fun. Midgar is great. After that I was disappointed, but it's solid enough. The optional side quest content is especially good, imo.

Yeah I don't doubt that's going to take a majority of the time.

I'm also on the fence about getting Knights of the Round. Chocobo inces--- breeding is lengthy and KotR is stupidly over-powered it'd make the rest of the game a breeze.

RP912

Banned
I swear I'm cursed...everytime I beat the first disc either something happens to my memory card or I reformat my psp/vita/ps3 forgetting about the save.

I seriously want to beat this game one day.

Dice//

Banned
Entire game should have been set in Midgar. Or, at least, more of it.

I actually would have loved that. IIRC, we don't really spend much time AT ALL in the 'upper crust' of it, just the shitty slums. Which sucks, because it gives off too much the impression that all of Midgar is just shit. I'm sure the bourgeoisie have their place; more 'secret op jobs' for AVALANCHE would have been great (or at least one more "big mission").

It still holds up, to me at least. There is a certain charm to the graphics, even if they are dated. I use to play it once a year till college/going-out-with-friends started to impede on my personal time. It was THE reason why JRPGs became big in the west.

I played through ff7 finishing it about a year ago. Although I don't see why you are saying the fast battle system is really a plus. Granted, ff8 might be a bit too slow with animations taking forever, but I remember ff9 hitting a sweet spot making it a top tier ff title imo.

One criticism about ff7 is that almost all the battles were kinda short to me. The game was a bit easy with exception to like 2 or 3 battles (talking about the main storyline not the side stuff like the giant weapons roaming around). The three bosses that stick out in my mind are that general dude in the giant mech you face when you return to midgaard near the end, the diamond weapon, and the final fight vs sephiroth. There might have been a few more that were a bit challenging and not as short as others, but those 3 are the ones I recall.

FF7 is still one of my favorites of the franchise, although I don't think you can go particularly wrong with any ff1-10 and I wouldn't blame anyone if they think the 13 trilogy is among their favorites either. I'm actually looking forward to 13 release on steam next month.

If they were to remake FF7, I would like them to change so much to make the battle system more in depth, a bit slower, and more challenging that I am not sure if they would meet what I would like to see. This would be pretty tough. Also, rewrite certain dialogues and full audio.

Vanille

I played through ff7 finishing it about a year ago. Although I don't see why you are saying the fast battle system is really a plus. Granted, ff8 might be a bit too slow with animations taking forever, but I remember ff9 hitting a sweet spot making it a top tier ff title imo.

What. No. FF9 is painfully slow and clunky.

Great OP. FF7 may not hold up too well in the graphics department but I like it. The rest of the game is top notch and this thread has made me want to play it again. So I will. Byeeeeee

This is the game that started my love for RPGS, I went back and played others that I missed and could find. Love Rpgs, and I love this game.

This is the game that started my love for RPGS, I went back and played others that I missed and could find. Love Rpgs, and I love this game.

It's the same for me. I was about 11 and I saw my friends older brother playing it. I really liked what I saw and when I finally got it I loved it. RPGs have been my go to genre ever since and I can't get enough of them.

ash_ag

For a game that is so infamous for ageing badly in the visuals department, the pre-rendered backgrounds of Final Fantasy VII are impossibly beautiful. I've often found myself wishing they had opted for pre-rendered character models too, or even Breath of Fire IV-like sprites.

From what I'm reading, you're appreciating some of the better qualities of the game. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close. Like with most games people call overrated, it's actually not. It's a marvel of game design, and a landmark in story-telling for the medium. Enjoy your playthrough, OP.

I have a playthrough where I'm at Icicle Lodge or whatever and haven't touched it in a while. Any good "Let's Plays" that don't have incredibly annoying commentary so I can catch myself back up on the story?

Op Are you me? Because I agree with absolutely everything you said.

FF7 is my all time favorite game. I still remember that feeling of awe when you exit midgar, and suddenly realize there is a whole world to explore.

I hope one day we get a remake, I don't care at this point if they redo the music, battle system, graphics or whatever. All I would ask is the game maintains its atmosphere, that same oppressed dirty feeling you get in the slums, that same lost enchanting feeling from city of the ancients, the calm relaxing vibe of the chocobo ranch.

Cormano

Great game, im glad that youre enjoyed it, its nowhere near as good as FF6 or FF9 bit defintely worth more than one playthrough.

Tizoc

Aer you playing the Steam/PC ver.? Cuz that one has a 10 GB mod that'll replace much of the battle models etc.

klee123

Nomura's work on FFVII still remains as my favourite.

It's a shame that his art has changed so much since.

I also agree that is Square does ever do a remake/remaster.

All they need to do is update the character models and HDify the backgrounds.

When I mean update the character models, I mean to just make them more detailed, but still retain the charm of the original. Avoid doing anything like what they did for Advent Children.

Zaku

FF7 da best.

I always preferred Aerith to Aeris just because the former felt like a bigger contrast to Cloud's name. (Aerith/Earth to Cloud)

But by god, the minigames. A fully unlocked Golden Saucer is a thing of true glory, and I've spent every minute since the first time I played the snowboarding minigame wishing that Squaresoft would release a full blown game based on that exact engine, because it was a better snowboarding game than actual snowboarding games.

= Fuck it. Tifa > Aeris. You're gettin' flirted with, childhood friend (which usually means being a jerk to Aeris since the game really pushes that angle more). While I like that Cloud and Aeris just seem to 'dig each other' (they laugh together and cutesy shit like that)... till Crisis Core reminds us she just saw Zack and wanted that.... bah. Too bad Aeris didn't stick around for Cloud's breakdown, that would've been an episode of Dr. Phil worth watching.

Personally, I think Tifa + Cloud and Aeris + Zack make the most sense based on the game's theme of identity. Cloud for the first part of the game thought he was the 1st class soldier, Zack, and adopted his clothing style and personality. We learn through this game and Crisis Core that Zack's personality connected with Aeris and that's how Cloud reminds her of Zack, because basically everything about him besides hair color was Zack. It would be interesting if she found about the real Cloud, who was the complete opposite of who he was pretending to be.

Obviously with the name Tifa Lockhart, you know she is going to give Cloud that soul searching to show who him who he really is. She personally knows the true Cloud who was weak and vulnerable, and she likes that one, since he was the one who always tried to be there for her. He was meek and always tried to hide himself, since he was ashamed of showing himself to her, which lands him in trouble like when they were kids and when Sephiroth burned everything down, but in the end he was the guy who always pulled through. I do think this game really did have some interesting things in the plot about Cloud's identity and insecurities, it's just too bad Advent Children made him into someone so moody, since he was the confident Zack for the first half of the game and overcame his insecurities in the second half to challenge Sephiroth again.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I thought Advent Children & Crisis Core did a great job in grounding a lot the character designs and aesthetic.

mrpookles

Re-played it on PC earlier this year. It's definitely aged, but I don't know that I'd add "poorly" to that. Still my favourite game of all time, warts and all.

I have to agree that an out-and-out remake in the style of FFXIII or whatever wouldn't work, but yeah, updating the character models andmaybe adding voiceovers would be pretty great.

Zaku

Re-played it on PC earlier this year. It's definitely aged, but I don't know that I'd add "poorly" to that. Still my favourite game of all time, warts and all.

I have to agree that an out-and-out remake in the style of FFXIII or whatever wouldn't work, but yeah, updating the character models andmaybe adding voiceovers would be pretty great.

There is no way to describe FFVII's aging without adding "poorly" to the sentence, unless you're a liar. The game came from a very ugly time in games development, and pretending otherwise is a god-damned lie.

Even with PC mods, FFVII looks like ass.

It's kinda weird, as more time passes, the less I want a full-blown remake to happen. Not because I'm "over" FFVII or because I don't know if I trust SE to not fuck it up (which I think is a valid concern) but because I feel like the proper, authentic way to experience FFVII is just the way it is in its current form. Like you said warts and all. With all of its rough edges and what not. (Which is not to say that I feel like it's not a good game by today's standards.)

I'm sure nostalgia is adding a lot of value for me here, but as it stands, FFVII is perfect for me just the way it is, with all of its shortcomings.

There is no way to describe FFVII's aging without adding "poorly" to the sentence, unless you're a liar. The game came from a very ugly time in games development, and pretending otherwise is a god-damned lie.

Even with PC mods, FFVII looks like ass.

No? The backgrounds are beautiful; then and now. The models, though hilariously lego-like, are animated surprisingly expressively.

Zaku

No? The backgrounds are beautiful; then and now. The models, though hilariously lego-like, are animated surprisingly expressively.

A few backgrounds, such as the Mako reactors, have aged well. The majority look like the early, pre-rendered crap they are.

Don't even get me started on the models.

Dice//

Banned
A few backgrounds, such as the Mako reactors, have aged well. The majority look like the early, pre-rendered crap they are.

Don't even get me started on the models.

I still like them. The ones I've posted here are dated but not "bad". And certainly they're perhaps the most impressive thing going graphically since the character models do indeed look "Lego-like". :p
A shame the game didn't just stick with the battle models...

It's kinda weird, as more time passes, the less I want a full-blown remake to happen. Not because I'm "over" FFVII or because I don't know if I trust SE to not fuck it up (which I think is a valid concern) but because I feel like the proper, authentic way to experience FFVII is just the way it is in its current form. Like you said warts and all. With all of its rough edges and what not. (Which is not to say that I feel like it's not a good game by today's standards.)

I'm sure nostalgia is adding a lot of value for me here, but as it stands, FFVII is perfect for me just the way it is, with all of its shortcomings.

I'd ONLY want some remastering done. Agreed; I don't want a classic otherwise tampered with and especially coming off what FF13 considered a cutscene (ie; more melodrama than a teen soap)

For a game that is so infamous for ageing badly in the visuals department, the pre-rendered backgrounds of Final Fantasy VII are impossibly beautiful. I've often found myself wishing they had opted for pre-rendered character models too, or even Breath of Fire IV-like sprites.

From what I'm reading, you're appreciating some of the better qualities of the game. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close. Like with most games people call overrated, it's actually not. It's a marvel of game design, and a landmark in story-telling for the medium. Enjoy your playthrough, OP.

Love the pre-rendered backgrounds in this game or any. I miss them a lot actually. It's kind of easy for me to enjoy those nostalgia-esque RPGs. Bravely Defaults hand drawn graphics were a real treat, and I'm hoping much the same from Legend of Legacy (more than I am from that title impressing me).

What. No. FF9 is painfully slow and clunky.

Yeah have to agree. It's one of my favorites, by I'm usually running a movie on my laptop during a grind session.

lIi949H.gif

Leaving Midgar and off to Kalm for a long, long Flashback
In which we listen to a story of how things got fucky

= I love the transition from a highway escape in the high-tech Midgar to... Kalm, a town that looks (and sounds) like a nostalgic throwback to the last six Final Fantasy titles. ...What with its extremely quaint look and calming music.

= Kalm cutscene takes forever. So long it has an intermission! But it's damn good.

= One thing that's really getting to me this time around is the amount of foreshadowing during the Nibelheim Incident. The fact that parts of Cloud's story isn't recalled well really makes this more than a simple "flashback" you have to sit through. And I like that the party kind-of intervenes with the story because of minor issues and needs for clarification.

= Also, knowing the "big twist" makes it interesting to talk to that one "anonymous" blue-clad soldier.
Cloud is great at believing his own bullshit though.

= Why does the memory take him out of the bar when you go in? Was it just cuz it didn't happen (and you, the player, are making it happen)?

= Any reason people in Nibelheim treat him like ass when he gets there too? Is it just general Shinra hate? I mean, I know the trees are dying and Hojo is doing some creepy shit up in the mountains; but the place hardly feels welcoming.

= Yeah I took the "Orthpedic underwear". What could that possibly even do for someone?? (and do I wanna know?).

= Anyone have any thoughts on the letter in Tifa's room? Who wrote it and why? Or is it just to provide some "worldly context"?
I like fan speculation sometimes.

= I also like that Cloud got a "younger" Menu Portrait where he looks more hot-blooded and facial features are rounder (like his less-pointy chin and bigger eyes) than his older portrait. He also acts a bit more like a younger, eager idiot.
42px-FFVII_Cloud_flashback_Portrait.png

42px-FF7_-_Cloud_Portrait.png

= I love when you meet Sephiroth in the basement when he goes nuts, the drums sound like a heart beat. His crazy-walk is also kind of intimidating.

= The Makonoids are a severely underplayed and [wonderfully] creepy part of this game. What a shame.
Makonoid.png

= So... I'm confused, is Jenova an Ancient? Why does she look like that then? What are the other Ancients compared to her and why the turmoil? I always thought Jevonva was...basically a female Lavos (with an eye on her breast). How is Sephiroth related to her (since his real mum is locked up in a waterfall).

= Just this scene.... wow
Jenova's_casing-AC.jpg

= So what does Gaf think? Is Barret a racist representation of a black man or simply fitting the stereotype for "angry black man" (with a heart of gold)? I'm on the fence here; his cursing and love for his adopted daughter Marlene tickle me in the right ways. But on the other hand, he looks like Mr. T (wait, that might be another thing I find amusing).
Either way, I'm *all* for greater racial diversity in games. Sazh was like one of three characters I liked in the FF13 saga (though the similarities between he and Barret are interesting)

antitrop

The "wicked fast" battle system is what keeps the game so replayable to this day, for me. Still my favorite game of all time.

Hiko

Banned

Can't stress this enough. Best setting ever in an FF game.

Also, FFVII is the best FF game period. I think it overall edges out FFIX, which I used to rate equally.

Dice//

Banned
The "wicked fast" battle system is what keeps the game so replayable to this day, for me. Still my favorite game of all time.

The world details are really drawing me in right now. EDIT: And certainly based on the above post, a LOT of thought seems to have gone into creating Midgar even if only certain areas are actually shown off.
The fast combat is amazing and similarly one of my *favorite* things *ever* about FFX's battle system (I also love seeing spells like 'haste' and 'slow' work in the turn wheel).

Issues aside, I do think FF7 is a highpoint of the series; despite the waxing and waning popularity with perhaps newer gamers coming into the fray.
THat's just my opinion of course, but I've played plenty of RPGs and find a lot of good in what Im play right now.

Aaa, love the thread!

What device are you playing this with? If PC, I really recommend installing the fan retranslation. It really makes conversations and plot-points much more coherent.

The conversation between Barret and Cloud in the train speeding through Midgar was first time I realized that a game could be atmospheric. Just that constant beats of the train wheels and the hand grips swaying back and fro...

= Anyone have any thoughts on the letter in Tifa's room? Who wrote it and why? Or is it just to provide some "worldly context"?
I like fan speculation sometimes.
Yar, most likely just a cordial letter from one of Tifa's childhood friends.

= So... I'm confused, is Jenova an Ancient? Why does she look like that then? What are the other Ancients compared to her and why the turmoil? I always thought Jevonva was...basically a female Lavos (with an eye on her breast). How is Sephiroth related to her (since his real mum is locked up in a waterfall).
Jenove is basically a female Lavos. "The calamity from the sky". Shinra just mistakenly believes that she's one of the Ancients.

Sephiroth was basically created by by injecting him with Jenova cells while he's still a fetus.

Dice//

Banned
Aaa, love the thread!

What device are you playing this with? If PC, I really recommend installing the fan retranslation. It really makes conversations and plot-points much more coherent.

The conversation between Barret and Cloud in the train speeding through Midgar was first time I realized that a game could be atmospheric. Just that constant beats of the train wheels and the hand grips swaying back and fro...

Yar, most likely just a cordial letter from one of Tifa's childhood friends.

Jenove is basically a female Lavos. "The calamity from the sky". Shinra just mistakenly believes that she's one of the Ancients.

Sephiroth was basically created by by injecting him with Jenova cells while he's still a fetus.

Argh, I'm playing it on my Vita (portability is a perk for me playing during the school seasons). A redone translation is incredibly tempting though. I might have to take that on (I'm sure I'll 'miss stuff' this playthrough so another might be needed one day). Thanks a million for the tip.

Yeah I kinda suspected that about Jenova (
I keep wanting to say 'Jahovah'
). Won't lie, it kinda cheapens her as a villain. But I'm glad that the game has so many threats to the party that Jenova really only feels like a B-plot enemy.

And Sephy with two mothers! How progressive! :p

How does it hold up for me?

Every bit as good as it was when I first played it on launch day.

I'm getting that too on this new playthrough as a proper adult. THe game was magic at first (we 'rented' the PSX for it), now it's fun just to take it in and 'get it'.

And to actually play it. I, er, used a gameshark the first time around since I was a bit young to really invest the time for combat.

Off the top of my head, Sephiroth initially thought Jenova was an Ancient (when Professor Gast first found Jenova he thought he had discovered an Ancient) and his literal mother. It's a good bit of misdirection for later reveals. Actually Jenova is a parasitic shapeshifting alien that landed ages ago. Since the Ancients protected the planet - which was Jenova's meal ticket - she deceived the Ancients and introduced a plague that wiped them out but not before they buried her. After Shinra got a hold of Jenova, Hojo knocked up Lucrecia (for science!) and infused their fetus with Jenova's own cells.

Sephiroth's inital motivation seems to stem from disillusionment and existential crisis finding new meaning in his connection with Jenova. He does later learn the truth from his time spent traveling the Lifestream. Rather than giving him a reality check it just balloons his ambition.

SOLDIER

The letter in Tifa's room is from Johnny, a childhood friend and recurring background character. It is obviously implied and later revealed that he has a crush on her, and by AC's timeline he even confesses to her (he gets politely rejected...poor guy).

To this day I find "orthopedic underwear" one of the most bizzare translations in a game. The original translation just called them "used panties". The former makes it sound like Tifa suffered from hip disfigurement or something.

ConceptX

Off the top of my head, Sephiroth initially thought Jenova was an Ancient (when Professor Gast first found Jenova he thought he had discovered an Ancient) and his literal mother. It's a good bit of misdirection for later reveals. Actually Jenova is a parasitic shapeshifting alien that landed ages ago. Since the Ancients protected the planet - which was Jenova's meal ticket - she deceived the Ancients and introduced a plague that wiped them out but not before they buried her. After Shinra got a hold of Jenova, Hojo knocked up Lucrecia (for science!) and infused their fetus with Jenova's own cells.

Sephiroth's inital motivation seems to stem from disillusionment and existential crisis finding new meaning in his connection with Jenova. He does later learn the truth from his time spent traveling the Lifestream. Rather than giving him a reality check it just balloons his ambition.

You'd be correct, Jenova is an alien, and everything is as you explained.

As for FF7's graphics, the Jenova CGI still holds up fantastically, it's one of my most favourite scenes ever, the overworld and world models look just terrible now, but most of the pre-rendered backgrounds look as gorgeous as ever.

I'd rather see a HD pre-rendered remake than real time 3D, but...I'd buy either lol.

The letter in Tifa's room is from Johnny, a childhood friend and recurring background character. It is obviously implied and later revealed that he has a crush on her, and by AC's timeline he even confesses to her (he gets politely rejected...poor guy).

To this day I find "orthopedic underwear" one of the most bizzare translations in a game. The original translation just called them "used panties". The former makes it sound like Tifa suffered from hip disfigurement or something.

Naw, Johnny is actually not Tifa's childhood friend. That's another one of the game's mistranslations.

Totally disagree with this sentiment, mainly because FF7 completely blew my mind when we _left_ Midgar. Like, I was under the impression that we would spend the whole game in Midgar, or most of it, then when you left and we saw the world map I was just completely floored. I personally coined it "The Midgar Effect", when the scope of the game changes completely part way in and you realize just how big the world is. The best use since FF7 that I saw this in was in Guild Wars with the Searing, and the place where I wanted it most and never got it was in FF12 when we never got to see other places in Ivalice other than the places surrounding Rabanastre.

SOLDIER

Naw, Johnny is actually not Tifa's childhood friend. That's another one of the game's mistranslations.

Are you sure? There's a scene in Costa de Sol where Tifa and Johnny are interacting, talking about "old times" and such.

I know FFVII has a bad translation, and I was also perplexed how Johnny survived Nibelheim, but...how do you mess up something like that.

Top Bottom