• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SLTTP: Final Fantasy 7 (ongoing playthrough; old game so spoilers aren't tagged)

Toparaman

Banned
Disc 1 is some of the greatest story-focused gaming ever. It kinda falls off after that, from what I remember.

Despite all the quips about Lego character models, I think the most dated part of FFVII graphically is the pre-rendered CG cutscenes. Funny how that happened. They look super cheap, despite probably being the most expensive investment Square had to make for the game, and being the focus of the marketing campaign.

I got a strong urge to replay FFVII after seeing the FFXV trailer, but I think I'm going to wait for more footage to see if FFXV is really worthy of "pre-gaming".

Ishida

Banned
= Yeah I took the "Orthpedic underwear". What could that possibly even do for someone?? (and do I wanna know?)

To this day I find "orthopedic underwear" one of the most bizzare translations in a game. The original translation just called them "used panties". The former makes it sound like Tifa suffered from hip disfigurement or something.

Orthopedic underwear = Bra for girls with giant breasts.

Seems like Tifa was pretty well-endowed for a kid, so she needed an orthopedic bra.

FF VII is my favorite game of all time, so I can´t say enough good things about it.
It´s superb. Hope you enjoy the ride ahead.

SOLDIER

Orthopedic underwear = Bra for girls with giant breasts.

Seems like Tifa was pretty well-endowed for a kid, so she needed an orthopedic bra.

They're panties. There's even a picture of them in one of the art galleries.

If they wanted to make that joke (which they thankfully didn't) it would've made more sense to call it a support bra.

Ishida

Banned
They're panties. There's even a picture of them in one of the art galleries.

If they wanted to make that joke (which they thankfully didn't) it would've made more sense to call it a support bra.

In the american version there's a picture of them?

I know they are panties in the japanese version.

Are you sure? There's a scene in Costa de Sol where Tifa and Johnny are interacting, talking about "old times" and such.

I know FFVII has a bad translation, and I was also perplexed how Johnny survived Nibelheim, but...how do you mess up something like that.
Tifa and Johnny know each other from their time in Midgar, which would be 2-3 years? Plenty for many "old times" things to happen. It's a neater explanation, I think, than having to explain away how Johnny seemingly just barely knows Cloud despite the letter explicitly mentioning him and his characters. How Johnny's parents don't know what Nibelheim is. How Tifa clings to Cloud with the whole "we're the only ones left" narrative.

SOLDIER

Huh... Yes, there is. o_O They give support to the back.

Wikipedia turned up nothing but Google yielded some results.

It hardly matters since they're supposed to be panties. If the localizers really wanted to change it to a support bra, then it's a perplexingly phrased joke not many would get.

e90Mark

I did this not too long ago.. The first time I played this was about at age 8-9 and I'm 21 now having beat it again just a few months ago.

The first time I had played it, it was on PC. My recent run was on my Vita/PS3.

Definitely understood the game more being older, but damn did the graphics not age well.. No matter though, since the story and gameplay kept me sucked in.

I definitely long for an HD remake. Something along the lines of that PS3 technical demo. I catch myself going to YouTube to watch it over again. Man, that would be awesome. I would definitely play it again with all new graphics.

I also miss this battle system so much. I wish it was still around. When Last Odyssey featured something similar back on the 360, I was ecstatic.

Enjoy the play through. After beating it 3 times, I think I'm finally done. (Until an HD remake comes out, if ever..)

Fusebox

Banned
Still my fave FF. Gives me feels man. I don't get when people say the graphics haven't aged well, the CG cut-scenes have better art and direction than most of todays CG cut-scenes and they still look amazing on newer screen like Vita.

Ishida

Banned
Wikipedia turned up nothing but Google yielded some results.

It hardly matters since they're supposed to be panties. If the localizers really wanted to change it to a support bra, then it's a perplexing joke not many would get.

I know. I do know that they are panties in the original version. But the localization team obviously changed the joke (Used panties was too nasty? Too japanese? Who knows). What is clear is that the localization team simply switched the kind of underwear in the joke.

Tifa was big-breasted even when she was 16 years old, so the joke about her drawer containing "orthopedic underwear", ("underwear" meaning a bra that would support the back of a big-breasted girl) would make a lot more sense than "orthopedic panties".

But anyways. ;)

antitrop

I also miss this battle system so much. I wish it was still around. When Last Odyssey featured something similar back on the 360, I was ecstatic.

Lost Odyssey's battle system doesn't remind me of FF7 at all. It was achingly slow, made even worse by the substantial load times, whether you installed to the HDD or not. Being strictly turn-based and having the "timed hits" mechanic made it completely different. Also 5 party members in battle instead of 3.

SOLDIER

I know. I do know that they are panties in the original version. But the localization team obviously changed the joke (Used panties was too nasty? Too japanese? Who knows). What is clear is that the localization team simply switched the kind of underwear in the joke.

Tifa was big-breasted even when she was 16 years old, so the joke about her drawer containing "orthopedic underwear", ("underwear" meaning a bra that would support the back of a big-breasted girl) would make a lot more sense than "orthopedic panties".

But anyways. ;)

It makes it creepier, and also a bit nonsensical that Cloud could fit it in his pocket.

I'm also curious if Yuffie really used "Boobs" as an insult in the Japanese version as well.

Pretty much anything regarding the original script is left to rumor or debate. For instance, some sources claim that characters actually say "Fuck" uncensored.

Totally disagree with this sentiment, mainly because FF7 completely blew my mind when we _left_ Midgar. Like, I was under the impression that we would spend the whole game in Midgar, or most of it, then when you left and we saw the world map I was just completely floored. I personally coined it "The Midgar Effect", when the scope of the game changes completely part way in and you realize just how big the world is. The best use since FF7 that I saw this in was in Guild Wars with the Searing, and the place where I wanted it most and never got it was in FF12 when we never got to see other places in Ivalice other than the places surrounding Rabanastre.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't know much going into the game when it just released and when I left Midgar was like whaaaaa!?!?

I'll never forget that day.

e90Mark

Lost Odyssey's battle system doesn't remind me of FF7 at all. It was achingly slow, made even worse by the substantial load times, whether you installed to the HDD or not. Being strictly turn-based and having the "timed hits" mechanic made it completely different. Also 5 party members in battle instead of 3.

It was more so the turn based attack system than anything else that struck me as being "similar", considering there wasn't much of that last gen, (LO, Blue Dragon, ..?), and I was still an xbox gamer before that, never owning a ps2.

antitrop

It was more so the turn based attack system than anything else that struck me as being "similar", considering there wasn't much of that last gen, (LO, Blue Dragon, ..?), and I was still an xbox gamer before that, never owning a ps2.

In that regard, I suppose it would be most similar to FFX, no?

Especially the way both of those games show you an extended list of turn orders so you can plan strategically. FF7 doesn't have any of that, it's more on the fly.

Considering how much even FF8 and 9 slowed the pace of the ATB system down, FF7's battle system kind of stands as its own, frenetic thing. Not wildly different from 6, though. If your Materia setups are good, you can get through a lot of the game by just holding down X. :p

In that case, there are still quite a few of those around. Bravely Default and the Atelier series, for example. And then there are those Idea Factory games...

mrpookles

There is no way to describe FFVII's aging without adding "poorly" to the sentence, unless you're a liar. The game came from a very ugly time in games development, and pretending otherwise is a god-damned lie.

Even with PC mods, FFVII looks like ass.

I wasn't just talking about the graphics, but the overall package. How shallow to be solely focused on dem sik grafix.

Kssio_Aug

On a final graphical note: Anyone else miss pre-rendered backgrounds? I always thought they had a certain-something to them (and certainly better to explore those than FF13's corridor saga even despite the graphical leap it has). There's also an amazing level of detail that was sort of lost when everything went into full 3D in some games.
5RmGPFV.gif

I completely agree with that statement. I hope FFXV can bring more interesting scenarios (and it seems it will bring the best scenario till this game has become fully 3D). However those backgrounds on Final Fantasy VII to IX were simply spectacular!! Pure art imho!

About Final Fantasy VII itself, one of the best indeed. Maybe my favorite until now (a good fight between this and FFIX for me).

While VII isn't my FAVOURITE entry out of the series, for me it's probably the best translation of what Final Fantasy is to 3D.

In VII, every town feels totally different from the last and not just cosmetically, but for example Cosmo Canyon has a totally different atmosphere to say, Nibelheim.
Added to that, VII kept that series tradition of balancing a serious tone with just ABSURD humour and it kills me that the Don Corneo scenes wouldn't really fit into current day FF.
Moments like that are such a great change of pace to that melancholic feeling of the Slums.

And yeah, Midgar is actually the best starting town of any RPG.
And yes I know this counters my point above, but if they made VII four discs of just Midgar, I wouldn't be mad at all.

Heh fast battle system.

Go ahead and cast Knights of the Round at some point with the 99x material lol.

Is it 99x? Forget it's been so long

But your night the battle system on its own is quite fast just like FFX. Love both of them

br3wnor

What a game. I played the game up until the final boss when I was younger (lacked the fortitude to grind in 2000) and finally beat the game on my PSP right after I graduated college (2010ish)

Fantastic, all time great game w/ awesome music, gameplay and motherfucking prerendered background graphics. I don't need a remake because the game is perfect the way it is for me, shitty 3d character models and all.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
FF7 OST is so good but I guess it's mostly linked to nostalgia. Whenever I hear anything from the soundtrack my entire brain is memory filled.

The effect is more pronounced if it's something that plays at many points throughout the game like Anxious Heart or something.

Unrelated but some sp00ky cut content - a growing phantom Sephiroth.

http://a.pomf.se/mleptn.webm

Remake? Remaster!
  • I can only imagine how dumb shit like doing the Don Corneo mansion scenario would look today... And even imagining I have trouble with it. I think this game, and its penchant for humour, just wouldn't jive with todays FF style. It's a bit of a shame. But rather, and given SE's reluctance to commit to a remake (and the resources it would *definitely* take), I think a remaster with new character models and "HD'd" pre-rendered backgrounds is more than enough; and may be best to conserve that 'nostalgic feeling' a lot of us have for FF7 while giving it that facelift (and hopefully new script) it *desperately* needs.
I agree that FF7 would likely, at this point, receive many modernizing changes if it were remade today.
I would be careful though -- I wouldn't want it to jive with today's ff style in any way shape or form. After all, the FF of today is not even Final Fantasy. Its some frankensteinish hybrid whose core gameplay struggles beyond the mediocre.

FF7 OST is so good but I guess it's mostly linked to nostalgia. Whenever I hear anything from the soundtrack my entire brain is memory filled.

The effect is more pronounced if it's something that plays at many points throughout the game like Anxious Heart or something.

Unrelated but some sp00ky cut content - a growing phantom Sephiroth.

http://a.pomf.se/mleptn.webm

It really isn't explicitly linked to nostalgia. The music for FF7 was that perfect...and that spot on.

I don't know how old you are, but one of the biggest problems with the game industry nowadays is it is run by businessmen. Uematsu's work in the 90s is like the outpouring of soul from a master artist. It is so clear in retrospect that he was able to understand the motivation of the FF games and channel his musical knowledge / artist self through them.

Nowadays, we're lucky if game developers pay attention enough to not ship their games with game breaking bugs that need immediate patches.

Money money money.

Edit: whoops sorry dp.

Tried playing it again not too long ago and realized I don't have the time to invest in old 40 hour games. But more to the point, the combat system frustrated me at times. I would cast a health pot on one of my characters and wait for my turn to come around to actually use it, while it in the mean time I might get a proc or something that would heal me up, yet my character would still cast the potion, wasting both a turn and my item. Frustrating. Also, sometimes my characters and the enemies would get real close to each other during combat and I would accidentally click on the wrong person for an attack. It's like the AI tries to unsuccessfully predict who I want to select, and due to the fast pace of the battle I'm clicking and kinda eyeball it thinking I have the proper character selected when in fact I do not. I know there are improved markings you can switch to, but it should be a default setting and the computer should know better.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It really isn't explicitly linked to nostalgia. The music for FF7 was that perfect...and that spot on.

I don't know how old you are, but one of the biggest problems with the game industry nowadays is it is run by businessmen. Uematsu's work in the 90s is like the outpouring of soul from a master artist. It is so clear in retrospect that he was able to understand the motivation of the FF games and channel his musical knowledge / artist self through them.

Nowadays, we're lucky if game developers pay attention enough to not ship their games with game breaking bugs that need immediate patches.

Money money money.

Edit: whoops sorry dp.

All true, though I mean it has a little something extra to me than the FF8 or 9 soundtracks. Those have great tracks that I can appreciate on their own but with FF7 it's impossible for me to listen to a song and not link it to moments in the game. By this I don't mean they aren't good as stand alone tracks, just that the separation (even after this many years) isn't possible like it is with the other PS1 FF games.

Dice//

Banned
A Cave, El Presidente, and a Boat
In which we walk through a cave, meet the new President, and go on a Boat where more things get fucky
pJlg1PB.gif

= I love how strange things are after Midgar: You hit up a friendly Chocobo Farm and get chased by a massive-sized snake (...then see it gruesomely impaled less than a minute later)

= I hate talking about Sephiroth as a "man in black cape". It's a coat, dammit!

= So all this talk of Sephiroth makes me curious if he was [biologically] crazy from the start or developed it naturally from some bad grape-vining from being told he was a descendant of the Ancients when he isn't... Just a human/alien-virus hybrid with a lot of power. WHO'S TO BLAME FOR THIS PLOT, I WONDER.

= ...Eugh. Dear lord, imagine making love to this man (with the best/worst concept art ever).

= As much fun as it is to make fun of Tetsuya Nomura's designs, I think he did alright with FF7 and 8. Here, let's look at Seph!
First off, I love that his belt is the same as Cloud's (I assume it's from SOLDIER), I like that his 'armor' takes medieval cues but stays very modern, and finally, I love that his blade looks like its been stained in blood. Or perhaps it was a conscious decision to show the main party using a "blue shadow" colour scheme, while Sephiroth has 'red' in the shadows.
Because red is an EVIL colour.
Sephiroth-FFVIIArt.png

But dear lord his anime look is starting to get dated. He looks like a 90's CLAMP character with "V"-pointy chin and super-broad shoulders. Plus the leather straps across his chest are odd.
The main party looks great though; they have a great variety with respects to their design (WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED FF15?! WHAT HAPP--) that beautifully coincide with the game's modern atmosphere.

= Is it just me or is protecting Fort Condor a waste of time ....and money?
...Love the song that plays there though. Very mysterious.

= I fucking hate the Rufus parade and any mini-game surrounding it. From doing CPR (so boring) to the really shitty mechanics in joining the parade.

= On the other hand, I love the CG cutscene that shows all of Junon and how it makes sense of why the tiny town (where Priscilla and the dolphin is) is so dark. I mean, it's hidden under a giant airship runway (you can just barely make out the lights from the houses).
Once again it feels like a lot of love went into creating places in this game.

= I like just running into the Turks from time to time. I just find them a great enemy; they're cool as ice, they're relentless and mean, but really it's just because duty calls (they fall in love and go on vacation and all that jazz).
I also love their style: When exiting battle, Rude checks his watch and simply walks off like nothing happened.

= Things that wouldn't translate into an HD/Remake Version: Red on 'two legs'. Mind you, for how serious the second half of the boat ride is, the comedy in a tough-badass like Berret wearing a dorky sailor outfit is simply perfect.
Barret-ffvii-sailor.png

= Heidegger: "Alright we've arrived at Costa de Sol!"
Rufus: "The ride felt strange. Everything okay?"
Heidegger: "Well, we've mysteriously lost most of the crew in the cargo hold due to bizarre circumstances. ...Oh, and Sephiroth was on board and---"
Rufus: "Yeahyea shut the fuck up. Let's go".
Heidegger: "HAARRHARHAH..HAR... ok... ... ... ..." *rage push soldiers into the water*

= Did anyone else wish Costa de Sol was real?? I love that the song has a "lobby"-esque sound to it (or like you're listening to a cheesy travel agency video).
*Hasn't been near a beach in 10 years* :(

uIoC1tP.png

Now through the mountains to chase the man in the black....coat.

Till next time
O6APAN2.gif

Huh?

Neo Member
This may expose me as a total insane person, but I never got much past Midgar because I was worried I'd miss the best experience dialogue-wise by bringing the wrong characters along with me to various scenes and I was even more worried about making sure everyone and every piece of Materia got the right amount of experience. It's a shame, because I haven't played a ton of RPGs but I really wanted to see this one.

= I fucking hate the Rufus parade and any mini-game surrounding it. From doing CPR (so boring) to the really shitty mechanics in joining the parade.
Hey, that mini-game where you do the SOLDIER gestures (right before you head onto the boat) was fun as hell. The whole parade was really fun, actually. I love infiltrating enemy ranks and pretending to be one of them; it makes the enemy so human. I wish more games did this.

A.Romero

This may expose me as a total insane person, but I never got much past Midgar because I was worried I'd miss the best experience dialogue-wise by bringing the wrong characters along with me to various scenes and I was even more worried about making sure everyone and every piece of Materia got the right amount of experience. It's a shame, because I haven't played a ton of RPGs but I really wanted to see this one.

Give yourself the opportunity, man.

You can work on your materias at the end.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
= I hate talking about Sephiroth as a "man in black cape". It's a coat, dammit!

There are many people in black capes following him.

FunFact™ originally there was only going to be one black caped person and it was going to be Jenova who would keep removing body parts for you to battle.

Aesius

Playing through this on Steam for the first time since ~1999 or so.

FF7 was (and may still be) my favorite game of all time. I first played it when I was 10 years old, and I'm now 27, and I find it to be just as fascinating and fun to play as I did all those years ago.

I was worried the random battles would get to me, but I don't mind them nearly as much as I thought I would.

I'm not that far in--just left Midgar and reached the Chocobo Stables. About to grind it up and try to kill the Midgar Zolom and learn its skill.

BumRush

For as much as I LOVED it when it came out it's extremely difficult to go back to it now due to the graphics. Early PS1 era graphics are so ugly.

Dice//

Banned

As far as I can tell, the only two "bad" characters are Vincent and Cait Sith. They're not even that bad, but they have annoying limit breaks and generally lose the edge over other characters stats wise. So there's really no issue there.

In terms of dialogue, the main party is usually together for the important bits and general innocuous dialogue for times where you bring your own party. Probably one of the shiny moments for this is brining Aeris to Gongaga (iirc) to get the scoop on another character/

The materia and experience part is a bit of a big deal... So far it's been pretty easy to decide what stays and goes though. Worst case, this game has been around for SOOOO long and discussed to hell that you can easily find 'whats good and bad materia' within seconds. God bless the net.

FF7 was (and may still be) my favorite game of all time. I first played it when I was 10 years old, and I'm now 27, and I find it to be just as fascinating and fun to play as I did all those years ago.

I was worried the random battles would get to me, but I don't mind them nearly as much as I thought I would.

I'm not that far in--just left Midgar and reached the Chocobo Stables. About to grind it up and try to kill the Midgar Zolom and learn its skill.

Yeah I'm surprised how 'ok' I've been about random battles. Granted, I still have some TV show on when I play a dungeon or something (for the grinds).

For as much as I LOVED it when it came out it's extremely difficult to go back to it now due to the graphics. Early PS1 era graphics are so ugly.

Battles still look good, more or less. And since BGs look so damn nice, you can kinda forget the main graphics.

There are many people in black capes following him.

FunFact™ originally there was only going to be one black caped person and it was going to be Jenova who would keep removing body parts for you to battle.

Yeah I started to remember those....things...hobbling everywhere. Totally forgot.

I do like that fun fact.... damn so many good game ideas get lost on the cutting room floor.

wmlk

Midgar had to be the most engaging arc in any video game that I've ever played. Zeal from Chrono Trigger comes close.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Not much grinding is required. You can get Beta with Barret at around Level 15 or so.

I do like that fun fact.... damn so many good game ideas get lost on the cutting room floor.

Yeah ;_; I think it was going to be Jenova as a single black caped figure leading you to the North Crater where Sephiroth is to give him the black materia. There was no Sephiroth 'encounters' (like on the Junon cargo ship) before then.

Joqu

Remake? Remaster!
  • I can only imagine how dumb shit like doing the Don Corneo mansion scenario would look today... And even imagining I have trouble with it. I think this game, and its penchant for humour, just wouldn't jive with todays FF style. It's a bit of a shame. But rather, and given SE's reluctance to commit to a remake (and the resources it would *definitely* take), I think a remaster with new character models and "HD'd" pre-rendered backgrounds is more than enough; and may be best to conserve that 'nostalgic feeling' a lot of us have for FF7 while giving it that facelift (and hopefully new script) it *desperately* needs.

I very much agree. To be honest I'm never sure what people mean when they say they want a Final Fantasy VII remake. Do they want this? That's what all the remake talk started with wasn't it?

feature-ffvii-tech-demo.jpg

Because I know that's what later VII media generally goes with but that isn't Final Fantasy to me. Especially not Final Fantasy VII. That game is cartoony as hell, it's part of the charm. I know the game goes with more realistically proportioned characters during battles and CG but even then that's nothing like the Crisis Core / Advent Children etc look. That's the old Nomura art look, which is still very much a stylized one:

(It's also way better than his modern stuff and I like his modern stuff.)

Yeah if you ask me a new script, remade backgrounds with chibi models for the overworld and old Nomura style for battles and cut scenes would be ideal. If not chibi Nomura style for the overworld too. You know, just like the original. Add an option for rearranged music and perhaps some tweaks to the battle system. (I love how fast you can let it go in Bravely Default) and you've got yourself a real gem there.

But I get the impression people generally want the former, it kind of disappoints me to be honest. Surely the latter would not only remain way closer to the spirit of the original game but it would also be far more economical? Surely it would be profitable. Whenever I hear S-E talk about how a VII remake they make it sound like it would be this huge undertaking but really that kind of game is the last thing I want. We've got VX for that. :S

(And obviously VIII & IX could use such a face lift too)

Dice//

Banned
Midgar had to be the most engaging arc in any video game that I've ever played. Zeal from Chrono Trigger comes close.

Agreed with Midgar, but also agreed with Zeal (fine choice there). Zeal is so bizarre and mysterious and out of the blue (even after travelling to a destitute future) that it's hard NOT to be drawn in.

Yeah ;_; I think it was going to be Jenova as a single black caped figure leading you to the North Crater where Sephiroth is to give him the black materia. There was no Sephiroth 'encounters' (like on the Junon cargo ship) before then.

I kinda would have preferred that; the few "encounters" with Sephiroth are really strange before your figure out what's really going down. I think saving the "mystery" would have been great and expanding on Jenova as more than a Team Rocket, in-and-out, bad guy.

I very much agree. To be honest I'm never sure what people mean when they say they want a Final Fantasy VII remake. Do they want this? That's what all the remake talk started with wasn't it?

feature-ffvii-tech-demo.jpg

Because I know that's what later VII media generally goes with but that isn't Final Fantasy to me. Especially not Final Fantasy VII. That game is cartoony as hell, it's part of the charm. I know the game goes with more realistically proportioned characters during battles and CG but even then that's nothing like the Crisis Core / Advent Children etc look. That's the old Nomura art look, which is still very much a stylized one:

(It's also way better than his modern stuff and I like his modern stuff.)

Yeah if you ask me a new script, remade backgrounds with chibi models for the overworld and old Nomura style for battles and cut scenes would be ideal. If not chibi Nomura style for the overworld too. You know, just like the original. Add an option for rearranged music and perhaps some tweaks to the battle system. (I love how fast you can let it go in Bravely Default) and you've got yourself a real gem there.

But I get the impression people generally want the former, it kind of disappoints me to be honest. Surely the latter would not only remain way closer to the spirit of the original game but it would also be far more economical? Surely it would be profitable. Whenever I hear S-E talk about how a VII remake they make it sound like it would be this huge undertaking but really that kind of game is the last thing I want. We've got VX for that. :S

(And obviously VIII & IX could use such a face lift too)

I'm really sad that for all the demand, it seems there is ONLY one-track thinking (for fans and Squeenix?) to have a remake done than a remaster. I hope I'm wrong and one day we get that remaster ... a "facelift" is definitely the best way to describe it.

FF9 got it, FF7 was good when it had a sense of balance; it knew when to be serious, when it could 'afford' to be silly, it had a good sense of its own vision. But a lot of the sequels became too serious... or at least, too obviously a product of "well the first game did well, what can we add?"

I actually think a modern-anime look would be intersting. We know Squeenix can make its Eurasian Hybrid Cosplay-looking people to an A+/S grade; but taking on an anime look again would be daring and interesting.

The [literal] Prison Town, the Wonderland, The Canyon
vH9kUAA.jpg

= More adventures in great scenery. This game is not short of these.

= Seriously, the amount of metal and materials NEEDED to create something the scale and scope of The Gold Saucer is...baffling. I mean, the individual areas? Ok, but the actual gold/metal pods and beam??. Goodbye, Gaia, your resources are fucked, with or without Mako/Lifestream energy.

= I think some of the greatest plot points in this game is how simply, effectively, and concisely the "Character Chapters" are told.
Both Barret and Red are great examples of side chapters that have no real bearing on the main plot of the game, but adds great backstory to their character. Red's misunderstanding about his father changes him from a coward to a still-suffering hero (the shot of his petrified body is really something to look at). Barret confronts his best friend; a man with the same gun-arm augmentation because they were involved in the same incident against Shinra that claimed their hands while they were trying desperately to flee.
Tifa too, I like how even though she shares most of her "character backstory" with Cloud, their accounts of the event are detrimentally different.

= Given the absolute motherfucking train wreck and state of North Corel, YOU'D THINK that the Gold Saucer execs, with its CLEARLY INFINITE resources, would buff up the state of the garbage heap shit-hole that transports people in and out of their park --- and more than just its cable cart boarding area (however, I do love the attention to detail that the ONE area does look better than the rest of the town).

= This song.
http://youtu.be/XvmbO9wXMkQ
While I find the FF7 OST much simpler compared to the almost operatic/symphonic style of FF6 (though FF8 is much more hit-or-miss to me), the simplicity and effectiveness of its melodies is perfect (and even despite the crap MIDI quality synths). Each song suits each location very well and really sets up the mood for the game.

= One stupid reason I love, love, love Tifa? Because she makes me feel good for having BROWN EYES.
Squeenix LOVES blue eyes... :(
....sha la la la la la dee dah~

= I forgot Deathblow. Is it a good materia or can I just move on with my life?

= Yeah, I brought Tifa and Aeris to Gongaga. It's strange, creepy, and wonderful how both girls were involved with Zack, neither feels terribly contrived (although it does make you question Aeris' attraction to Cloud....though I doubt he'd care).

= Cosmo Canyon is so fucking cool. Some point between the literal down-to-earth decor, the mild native influence (a weapon shop called Tiger Lily's is a cute touch), that catchy tune, etc.
DdbawqD.gif

= On that note, Bugenhagen's lecture on the lifestream is brilliantly done. I love the song that plays and I love that the first few notes are the same heard in the opening Bombing Mission tune as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVuvUKTixes#t=19

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Again via the unused text series, a little change in Red XIII post-Cosmo Canyon:

A somewhat esoteric fact, however, is that Red XIII’s dialogue will change after the Cosmo Canyon events to reflect his newfound maturity after finding out the truth about his father. This is more noticeable in the Japanese script than it is in the English counterpart.
The best example showing this change is in the scenario where Yuffie steals your money (YOUGAN2), to which the ‘immature’ Red XIII can respond by saying,
“Greed……A perfect example of human nature.”

but post-fatherly-revelations Red XIII will say,

“Give……give back what is rightfully mine!”

I love the graphics of this game. I don't find them at all outdated, and think they hold up a lot better than many other games from the early 3D era. Some of the pre-rendered backgrounds are works of art. And while they look blocky, the characters on the field maps actually have a very charming cartoonish look to them that I really dig. I actually much prefer these models to the technically superior models during battle. As the battle models are going for a more realistic look, I feel the imperfections stand out much more.

If you got the Elemental materia from the Shinra building, try pairing it with fire materia on your armour. Should make the Beta spell much easier to survive, and make it easier to survive the battle and learn the spell.

Dice//

Banned
DTuPKWI.gif

All hail Bugenhagen.

Absolutely boggling floating ball thing. Great image though, and I'm glad it's a gif :p

Again via the unused text series, a little change in Red XIII post-Cosmo Canyon:

Ponpo, thank you SO much for keeping up and following this topic. All the more reason the game needs a "facelift" (ie; read, NOT a remake) is a nice re-do of the script; till then (or till I hit up the PC version patch), I really appreciate everything you've posted. I do notice that Red's dialogue changes a bit; he seems different in front of his grandfather (he kinda acts "younger") and vaguely different before and after the trip to the Canyon.... but yeah, I'm sure a good deal of the nuances are lost in translation there.

This topic makes me want to play FFVII again

I hope this topic inspired you to do so! Indeed, I think it's a game that can be appreciated more when you grow up, like any proper 'classic'.
I got no problem calling it the "sci-fi RPG Zelda" of its time. I still think FF9 would be the older classic that's like snuggling into a pair of old comfortable shoes though. That might be a LTTP for another day though.

Anyways, enough gushing. Do it! It's totally fun and I'd love to run on reactions with someone also playing around the same time as me.

I love the graphics of this game. I don't find them at all outdated, and think they hold up a lot better than many other games from the early 3D era. Some of the pre-rendered backgrounds are works of art. And while they look blocky, the characters on the field maps actually have a very charming cartoonish look to them that I really dig. I actually much prefer these models to the technically superior models during battle. As the battle models are going for a more realistic look, I feel the imperfections stand out much more.

I honestly think I'd be less annoyed with the field sprites if their arms weren't so ridiculous looking:
Sock%20Em%20Boppers.jpg

Top Bottom