• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SLTTP: Final Fantasy 7 (ongoing playthrough; old game so spoilers aren't tagged)

Banzai

DTuPKWI.gif

All hail Bugenhagen.

Woah i never knew he was sitting on a floating ball! I thought those were green pants.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Ponpo, thank you SO much for keeping up and following this topic.

Zero thanks required, just waiting for the remake ( ≖‿≖)

I love the graphics of this game. I don't find them at all outdated, and think they hold up a lot better than many other games from the early 3D era. Some of the pre-rendered backgrounds are works of art. And while they look blocky, the characters on the field maps actually have a very charming cartoonish look to them that I really dig. I actually much prefer these models to the technically superior models during battle. As the battle models are going for a more realistic look, I feel the imperfections stand out much more.

Yeah, I have never minded the block characters either.

Via Interview:

- The characters of FFVII seem to be especially popular even out of the entire series, but where do you think the reason for that lies?

Nojima: In that sense, their characters were definitely strong. In FFVIII onwards, the height of the characters increased, and we starting to be conscious of realism. And when that happens, there are times when you start comparing them to real life people. But with FFVII’s height, even in 3D, you still don’t really get that sense of reality. Maybe in that aspect they were like cartoon characters, which was a plus. I think, maybe they had a kind of easy to remember quality as symbols.

The blocky characters still left a lot to the imagination. And, if you like the story enough to fill in the holes with your imagination, I think they become more attachable. You sort of 'fill in the blanks' with your own personal preference, and I think you can almost own the story more... some of the details of maybe how his clothes wrinkles, face, etc would look in real life, you fill in those blanks with how you envision him. You begin to own it more. Like, the guy above who thought Buganhagen was wearing green pants. You always see stuff like that for classic RPG characters. But the fact you can fill in those blanks and make those mistakes also makes you grow more attached, I think. You never see the same thing with, say, Tidus or Lightning. You never own that character as much; every single detail and wrinkle belongs to the artist. But with classic pixels, whether it was FF VII, FF Tactics, or Suikoden II, we begin to own those characters more because their simple models leave more to the imagination. I'm not sure if I describe it right but I definitely get what some of you are saying.

That's one reason why I sort of never want a FF VI or VII remake... in some ways, I even have trouble associating the Advent Children render with him. Sometimes if I see the AC Cloud, I feel like I don't recognize him, almost... it's hard to describe. I don't want to see every clothing wrinkle and facial pore on Cloud... I like just having his classic model and concept art, and going by how my own imagination filled in the blanks.

Holy Fudge Cake

I've completed it god knows how many times - couple of 100%'s too.

And I could have sworn they were just green pants

sephiroth7x

I hav finished this game more times than I care to remember and I never knew he floated on a damn ball... this is worse than when I finally saw how Agahnim looked in Link to the Past...

In all seriousness I still love this game and I find it telling that a game seventeen years old can still be played by someone and be enjoyed so much it sparks an ongoing thread on this very site. Not many games that are made nowadays will be remembered in this light.

I dont care that the characters are blocky, I don't care that the soundtrack was basically a MIDI track (Because the tracks were AWESOME) and I really really really don't ever want any voice acting. I think a remaster would be amazing but just soup up character models and the backgrounds. The rest, leave alone, even the script... leave it alone. It might not be great but its perfect for me now just the way it is...

Dice//

Banned
Forgot to update!!
(that and Smash Bros came out, then my thumb got an infection, and now I'm better)

MT NIBEL, ROCK-IT TOWN, WUTAI, AND AN ANCIENT TEMPLE FOR THE ANCIENTS
INCOMING LENGTHY POST

Wutai.jpg

= I love how most of Mt Nibel is....optional.  You can do the "olde SOLDIER tour" to get a bunch of items and some mad level ups, but otherwise you can reach the boss in about five minutes.  It's kinda funny too, because despite its previous plot significance, it's treated in the present as little more than a stroll through the mountainside (like Mt Corel was).  If this was a Tales game, there'd probably have been like 5 skits about it. :p  
On that note, this fucking mountain is really creepy looking, like Tim Burton lives there with his crazy wife.

= I love Rocket Town... But one thing that drives me nuts though is that it uses the Wall Market song back in Midgar, a tune that I think worked way better within the Midgar slums than the "free world" of Gaia and kinda makes it forgettable in Rocket Town...

= For Cid claiming to be the "best pilot in the world" and on his way to be the first astronaut ever, his lack of empathy for Shera checking the oxygen tanks is peculiar.  ....I'll just say he's excited...  

= Also, wtf.  "ROCKET TOWN".  MATERIA.  JENOVA. THE CETRA.  MIDGAR.  AAhHAAHH-- FUCKING ROCKET TOWN. What was this place called before Cid made its namesake?  "TOWN"!?

= I like how Palmer is hit with an invisible fucking truck after fighting him.  Probably the metaphor for his own character summed up in one instance.

= To keep yammering on about Rock-it Town, the houses are some of the most realized RPG NPC houses I've ever seen.  Look at this Weapon Shop!!!  It's better than most condos (which is saying a lot for an RPG house) and EVEN HAS A TOILET. A TOILET!!!
Rocket_Town_shop2.png

= I love how absolutely awesome Aeris' Limit Breaks are.  Like unreal good (specifically the 3rd and 4th levels).  I'm kinda sad no other character really gets healing/support Limit Breaks after her though; it makes that 'missing spot' in your party that much more noticeable.
Also, I wanted to ask: Do any of you opt for a NON final Limit Break?  Or is the last one you get *always* the best?

= Oh yeah, that Limit Break sound effect is sexy

= On that note: I've also been using Hypers to get my party into Limit Break more often (or Tranquilizers if they're the support member).... I'm actually turning my party into DRUG ADDICTS to save the world!!!!!!

= Yay!  The rust-coloured Tiny Bronco is ours!  How the holy hell you're supposed to figure out going to some random house then do a world tour treading through all the shallow water on the planet to find an old temple on the other side of the world is beyond me.... I think the game is just as bad for telling you where the Temple is being as vague as "Well they said they came too far, so it must be the other way", which would be good advice if I was planning nuclear Armageddon but NOT trying to find a single fucking place on the world's surface. :mad:

Anyways~

= I like the Wutai sidequest for four main reasons:  (1) It's a beautiful looking city and is excellently detailed, (2) it's a good challenge that takes the party away from their 'precious materia' and forces you to try other tactics, (3) the turks are awesome and it challenges the notion that they're strictly "villains", and (4) despite this being a rescue mission of two pretty key "damsels", neither of them are the objects of affection of either the main party of the turks themselves.  The former want Yuffie because she swindled them of their goods and the latter makes it more of a professional matter to get a co-worker back.

= Forests on the world map look like marijuana...
Temple_of_the_Ancients-World_Map.jpg

= For an "ultimate weapon", Princess' Guard is pretty underwhelming (literally being 1 point stronger than her Wutai weapon) and a useless feature that has added protection if everyone else dies...
#2little2late

= This was big for me.  I honestly never got the impression that Aeris was "super special" till the Temple of the Ancients event.  Up until now she seemed nothing more than an ordinary, Cloud-loving, pink-wearing flower girl with a sweet and silly personality...  The game keeps telling us she's an Ancient, and she apparently "talked to her mum" as a child, but little do we know that she was just playing make believe.  Even as the game goes on and they ask her "Is the Promised Land real?", she doesn't seem very sure about much of anything.
Anyways.  This idea that she is indeed "special" really and finally hit the first few SECONDS when you enter the Temple:
MwqDgIp.gif

She immediately prostrates herself and simply knows this is where they need to be.  She understands and can even "listen" to the Temple as she begins to chat with an invisible force.  Hell, she even asks the temple of a few occasions to "clarify things" for her.  I loved this.  She seems more in tune with her nature and lineage as time goes on too, talking with those weird Black Mage-looking guys inside, and even abandoning the party immediately after because of the more-than-ever apparent threat to the Planet as soon as Sephiroth managed to steal the Black Materia from a possessed Cloud (I do like the touch that she assured Cloud it wasn't his fault ---- a small gesture that was super freaking nice of her despite its potential consequence).  I honestly only really liked Aeris during her final moments with the party.

= Beep-boop, deep-doop, peep-poop, meep-moop....  This song is the epitome of Final Fantasy mashing up with a fairy tale.  It's very mysterious and catchy!

= IIII.... Y'know, this is the last series I'd expect to see the roman numeral written like that.

= Despite how interesting and cool the mural room is, it annoys that it takes so explicitly from Ancient Egyptian art... I say this for several reasons: (1) It's pretty unoriginal, (2) it's at odds with a lot of the unique design decisions found otherwise in the City of the Ancients and the rest of the Forest Temple itself, and (3) it also makes me question a lot of the "history" of Gaia as being simply derivative of Earth's own (but that might have been intentional since you could argue for a few other places in-game that do that).  
Temple_of_the_ancients_mural_room.png

Ah well, it works, and indeed, the mural illustrations are incredibly alarming.  Especially given the basic premise of the game, it's logo, and since we all KNOW the game involves a giant meteor in the sky from even pre-release press material, makes events more like watching a Shakespearean tragedy unfold where you know your efforts will be for nothing.

= Enemy Skill is over-powered.  And much like FF6, water spells (ie; "Aqualung") is found pretty early and can one shot almost every enemy and do massive damage against bosses.  Big Guard of course being the other amazing thing here and effectively made the two pretty tough boss fights in The Temple into a breeze.  

= I could say something about "Tseng's death" but what the fuck for?
#FF7ACwtf

= I guess I could talk about Cloud's date night too, but eh.  I've gone long enough already so I'll just say it was a cool idea and it was beautifully done.  

= Cait Saith's "farewell" is played up way more dramatically than it should.  Granted, it's played for laughs soon after since he comes back right away; but it's at the worst time and adds humour to a scene where Cloud, almost literally, makes an earth-shattering fuck up.  I think they should have refocused their attention of that one final ambiguous fortune he tells Aeris, and that he has legitimately switched sides.  He makes it sound more like the "controlling character" (ie; Reeve) is being killed off (saying it's his "final farewell").  I guess?  I'm not really sure what they were going for here....

TILL NEXT TIME!

Keep the impressions coming - loving seeing a first timers impression of everything.

I was so young when I first played it that I don't really know what I truly thought when I played it.

Except - I LOVE THIS

gelf

Totally agree with you on the prerendered backgrounds. Those flat images have more personality then any full 3D RPG I can think of. Loving all the background images you're posting in this thread.

I don't mind the block characters either. It bothered me for the first half an hour playing the game back in the day and since then I didn't worry about it.

Camisado

Great read, I've subscribed :)

DTuPKWI.gif

All hail Bugenhagen.

Also, while I was never really sure if he had legs or not, whenever he would float over the table with the two bottles in his room the shadow looked like feet. The first time I noticed that I laughed, and now I can't not see it every time.

Sorry for the bad screenshot but this is the only one I could find of it.

ff07kl_22-04.jpg

Surely someone else noticed this as well right? I can't be the only one.

Dice//

Banned
HELLO!

I know I stopped for a while, but I decided to post again with this LTTP after all the hurt-feelings and "spilt ink" about FF7 going on PS4, untouched and more the same than ever. I feel people are forgetting that Final Fantasy 7 was already a masterpiece and remaking it would be a daunting task and ....well, do you think it would be able to keep the integrity of the original game? It's a classic, and you just don't remake a classic so lightly (as said before in this thread, a "facelift" is all I'd want until MAYBE SquareEnix re-enters a "golden era" again where they can "do no wrong").

In Which A Dear Comrade 'Kicks the Bucket' and We Freeze Our Ass Off
ugKN5gB.gif

= Aaaand its been done.
dead-aerith.jpg

I truly wish I could have played this game without ANY memory of the plot or the buzz about Aeris; but for what it's worth, her death is *perfectly* unexpected and beautifully depicted.  Not many could be so lucky (like poor Claves in Eternal Sonata having a FUCKING EIGHT MINUTE DEATH SEQUENCE).  I wonder if her death was meant to be somewhat foreshadowed, in a dream sequence no less where Aeris is running toward the light and Cloud can't catch up to her (later you realize this was a 'prophetic dream' for the Sleeping Forest... or something else entirely).  
I do think it's kind of tragic Cloud never really got to say any meaningful last words to her. They make eye contact, and that was it...  

She didn't make that much of an impression during the game; but she goes from asking Cloud what to do when some Shinra thugs are chasing her in the old church to taking some doomsday-level fuckery into her own hands in order to save everyone.  I also admire the FUCK out of Squeenix for keeping her dead; I'm sure it wasn't easy but I guess they let that outlet loose when they made the "best endings" for FFX-2 (which I admit is so sweet it gives me a cavity, but it also cheapens the tragedy and beauty of the FFX-1 ending)...  I also admire that it took a good blade through the gut to do the job; unlike FF8's Squall who got impaled by two giant icicles and got away with it like he just had a bad hangover.

= I think You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet is one of the most brilliant songs on this OST.  I like that it continues that sort of "tick tock" sound that was also heard in The Temple of the Ancients; but whereas the latter was more mysterious and fun, the former just sounds foreboding.  It sounds so mysterious, melancholy, yet immensely important and I think a lot of the unique decor there makes it scream like it was not only recently inhabited, but that we've lost something truly amazing with no means to ever explain it.
This shell house (and the reclaimed underwater theme in general) has gotta be the coolest thing ever (but I love every unexplained inch of The Forgotten Capital, including the oddly undersea[?] palace where Aeris and the altar are).
2ERvv5c.jpg

= I had the problem playing PC way back when that Sephiroth would be in constant "O-face" (er).  I'm glad I don't have that hear, but now it's gone and I kinda miss it now...
http://i.imgur.com/a3dE3hy.jpg

= Final Fantasy VII.  A formidable game of decent difficulty...hampered by how easy it is to break.  Credit where it's due, enemies do love throwing negative status afflictions at your party... made better by how many varieties (literally, like 10) of status-prevention accessories, *the* Ribbon, and the Enemy Skill 'Big Guard' (granted, without a guide it'd be really hard to find who has that skill)

= *Watch 10 seconds worth of battle animation against a giant icicle "enemy" as it cracks*
... crack
... ... crack
... ... ... crack!
*Victory Fanfare*
BPJEBGH.gif

= I found a weird gif of AC Tifa while looking for pics for this....  She's looking downwards, but her hair forgot how to gravity.  x)

= I actually like the Great Glacier "dungeon".  The 500 step limit places an interesting restriction that can get you to where you need to go, but not allow you the time for full on exploring (and it's not exactly an easy map) and its got a few tricks and puzzles to it (like getting Alexander).  I also like that it suffers from numerous developer oversights so you can get a bunch of infinite items! :D

= The shot of Weapon's eye within Sephiroth's crystal room is *perfect*.  Like they know shit is going wrong it this particular spot where a person sprouted in crystallized form.  I also love that the Northern Crater, where Jenova and the meteor she was attached on struck the planet, is in a constant healing process[?] (if that is indeed Lifestream bursting out of it).

= I don't get what they mean when they say Cloud is a "failed experiment".  He seems to be doing just fine betraying the party.  I don't get why he sort of just.....gives up.  He was so confident that Sepiroth was lying to him one minute, but then turns up with black materia, asking Hojo to give him a number, then sulks a bit and delivers the black materia to Seph and that's that...  I do like the idea that Cloud is in the middle of a tug-o-war between some strange forces pulling his mind apart, and it's a shame they can only be animated so well when the characters have fucking HOOVES for hands (and Cloud is putting closed fists on his head than wrapping his fingers around).... >;/

= Augh, I hate this "reunion" talk bullshit because FF7AC fucking rolled with it .....again...for fanservice.

= On that note, I love how Cloud's breakdown was handled.  Seeing Zack for the first time is so creepy since it's completely lacking any context or background (they don't even say his name at that point).  Cloud denies what he sees, quite confidently, but Tifa starts to second guess.  The idea that Cloud wasn't trying to "avenge the Nibelheim incident" but was rather DRAWN to Sephiroth for the "reunion" was a stroke of genius as well and really makes a fool of the character's goals.

I also love how in tune FF7 is with RPG tropes (some SquareSoft made popular themselves), and I love how it subverts them:

• = Aeris is a "magical girl love interest", key to saving the planet and understanding the past ---- and she gets killed about half way through.[/li]
    = Cloud suffers from a "tragic ruined hometown" backstory as part of his quest for vengeance --- got almost all the details wrong[/li]
    = RPGs have humourous amounts of useless grunts and no-name henchmen ---- Cloud was one of them[/li]
    = Sephiroth is leading us on a wild chase ------- and he's dead[/li]
    = First big bad as President Shinra? ------ Dies soon as well[/li]

Next: Living in a Post-Meteor World!

Dice//

Banned
Beautiful thread.

Loved reading every one of your posts. :)

Thank you! Sadly I think I write more than the average Gaffer cares to read. I don't really do a concise job either, I really wanted to chew into EVERY part and make these tiny observations because, well, reviews tend to neglect that.

Thank you! Sadly I think I write more than the average Gaffer cares to read. I don't really do a concise job either, I really wanted to chew into EVERY part and make these tiny observations because, well, reviews tend to neglect that.

I really like your detailed posts in this thread. It's a joy to read.

Nekofrog

Banned
I think You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet is one of the most brilliant songs on this OST.  I like that it continues that sort of "tick tock" sound that was also heard in The Temple of the Ancients; but whereas the latter was more mysterious and fun, the former just sounds foreboding.  It sounds so mysterious, melancholy, yet immensely important and I think a lot of the unique decor there makes it scream like it was not only recently inhabited, but that we've lost something truly amazing with no means to ever explain it.

Probably my favorite music track of all time. So much so that I did two separate remixes for it years apart. I haven't gone back to a tune like that multiple times since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPpL7Tu0pE&list=UUCx3q2EWdLat0MJTMvvpksA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnejpW6O5oo&list=UUCx3q2EWdLat0MJTMvvpksA

Oh no, please carry on. I read every sentence.
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time and you are reminding me, with each post, why that is. Beautiful game and truly a masterpiece. Can't wait to see your impressions of the second disc.

Dice//

Banned
I really like your detailed posts in this thread. It's a joy to read.

Haha I try!
Watching about a billion movies, games, and taking art classes makes you realize how a lot of stuff put in games is a conscious decision, and with that it's important to read into it... It can make things better if there is something worth paying attention to. Definitely not all games 'qualify' for some in-depth discussion since some games are simply more straight-forward than others.

Probably my favorite music track of all time. So much so that I did two separate remixes for it years apart. I haven't gone back to a tune like that multiple times since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPpL7Tu0pE&list=UUCx3q2EWdLat0MJTMvvpksA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnejpW6O5oo&list=UUCx3q2EWdLat0MJTMvvpksA

Wow!! You did these???? :O
These are great, you totally have a gift for it. I'm not big on remixes all the time, but you can tell a good amount of 'love' was put in there, you can hear that you really liked the source song.
And yeah I always thought this piece stuck out on an already *amazing* soundtrack. Truly if there's any quick summary for why I love the FF7 OST it's because it manages such amazing atmosphere, whether it's because of a more 'contemporary' location, or a mysterious cave, or a gigantic theme park :)P), or wherever the game takes you.

*raises hand*

I still need to finish FF VII. I might give it another try after I finish Super Mario RPG.

Well the good news there is you'd be going from one amazing classic RPG to another.
I definitely recommend it.

Most cutscenes in FFVII were very short though.

Depends. Typically they only use cutscenes for key moments, they couldn't waste time or disc space. Most cutscenes capture those pivotal moments that just could be showed in game. The game does an otherwise good job of creating interesting dialogue exchanges without the need for cutscenes. I also like the game's use of of environment CG. A big one is later when you're watching a projection on a "waterfall screen", or the zoom in done during Cloud's 'dream' segment.

Basically I love watching the FMVs because it means they were critically selected moments to use them.

One I really enjoyed for this was FF9 because it had it's big-eyed animated characters; they were excellently emoted and brought to life on top of showing whatever epic-ness in the back.

Oh no, please carry on. I read every sentence.
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time and you are reminding me, with each post, why that is. Beautiful game and truly a masterpiece. Can't wait to see your impressions of the second disc.

Well gee, I have no problem continuing when people say it's their favourite game. x)
Happy to help!

Read through your write-ups. Keep up the good work!

I know I stopped for a while, but I decided to post again with this LTTP after all the hurt-feelings and "spilt ink" about FF7 going on PS4, untouched and more the same than ever. I feel people are forgetting that Final Fantasy 7 was already a masterpiece and remaking it would be a daunting task and ....well, do you think it would be able to keep the integrity of the original game? It's a classic, and you just don't remake a classic so lightly (as said before in this thread, a "facelift" is all I'd want until MAYBE SquareEnix re-enters a "golden era" again where they can "do no wrong").

You have a point but sorry, Mr. Square Businessman doesn't get to leverage all that pomp and nostalgia to grab our attention just for a non-announcement and NOT expect all of my backlash. FFVII was released not too long ago on PSN and Steam. That was a non-annoucement. Something for the middle of a press release, not a stand alone stage showing.

But no you're right a remake is a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, if they would do it for the right reasons it could be great but they wouldn't. 100% of their efforts would go to trying to make it "cool" just like Advent Children.

Dice said:
= I don't get what they mean when they say Cloud is a "failed experiment".  He seems to be doing just fine betraying the party.  I don't get why he sort of just.....gives up.  He was so confident that Sepiroth was lying to him one minute, but then turns up with black materia, asking Hojo to give him a number, then sulks a bit and delivers the black materia to Seph and that's that...  I do like the idea that Cloud is in the middle of a tug-o-war between some strange forces pulling his mind apart, and it's a shame they can only be animated so well when the characters have fucking HOOVES for hands (and Cloud is putting closed fists on his head than wrapping his fingers around).... >;/

Sounds like you're the one wanting that remake now :p "Okay Mr. Troy Baker, strange forces are pulling you mind apart, and GO!" Even in 1997 everyone knew the hooves were whack. Adding clarity and nuance to scenes like this is def one of the "good" reasons for a remake.

Dice//

Banned
Read through your write-ups. Keep up the good work!

You have a point but sorry, Mr. Square Businessman doesn't get to leverage all that pomp and nostalgia to grab our attention just for a non-announcement and NOT expect all of my backlash. FFVII was released not too long ago on PSN and Steam. That was a non-annoucement. Something for the middle of a press release, not a stand alone stage showing.

But no you're right a remake is a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, if they would do it for the right reasons it could be great but they wouldn't. 100% of their efforts would go to trying to make it "cool" just like Advent Children.

Sounds like you're the one wanting that remake now :p "Okay Mr. Troy Baker, strange forces are pulling you mind apart, and GO!" Even in 1997 everyone knew the hooves were whack. Adding clarity and nuance to scenes like this is def one of the "good" reasons for a remake.

I agree the move to have a BIG PRESS CONFERENCE only to announce a port was incredibly mean to fans who have wanted a remake and HAVE wanted one for yeeears.
But I kind of wanted to address lingering sentiments to that, even before this PS4 port press release people have always wanted a remake of the game, and, for the most part, unless Square can guarantee their A-Game (or, since this is a Japanese series: Their SSS-Game), I really wouldn't be interested since the game is already so good. I keep trying to imagine a FF13 or FF15-like version of FF7 for comparison, and I just can't see it happening without TONS of small [but amounting to very large] changes. I've said a few times in this thread, or rather, a better comparison of what I'd 'rather see' for the time being is a port like FFIV, V, and VI got on the Gameboy Advance* or the PSP with the "Complete FF4 edition" which largely keeps the integrity of the original in-tact but with a reworked script, maybe some bonus content (like an extra dungeon to merk super tough enemies with the killer end-game materia), but for the most part, keeping the game the same.

Yes, I know the GBA versions didn't actually improve the audio/graphics, but the other tweaks is what I'm talking about here

Honestly, I'm surprised this hasn't been done. I definitely feel it's better to focus on new titles than remake the old, but I'm surprised updates to FF7 have been off the menu as long as it has and we're stuck with a bunch of pretty crappy spin-offs and a movie that missed the point.

pLow7

Great Great Read! Love it! keep the work up.

Mind if i correct something? You keep naming them Squeenix, but it was Squaresoft. You might say it's the same Company afterall, Truth is, sadly they're not :(.

Top Bottom