• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slugfest: Loaded Impressions

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Not super in depth as I just got the game last night. I've only played a few games of the others without owning them so I can't make relevant contrasts to past versions.

Game looks great. Nice models, animations, stadiums are incredible, etc. Not a hint of slowdown (xbox) as there shouldn't be. Ball physics are fantastic. You'll get hits off of bags, walls, etc. that seem very accurate. Home runs bounce and the crowds look great. Good walk up animations. The special pitches and fire are amazing and add nice visual flair.

Three main modes of play...quick play, franchise and home run derby (and online). Franchise is very in depth just like they said it would be. It feels a little odd tacked on to such an arcade style of play but it's hard to argue with it being there. Free agents, AAA minors and a pretty in deep money system. Fantasy draft for franchise if you prefer. Didn't see a create-a-player mode or injuries though I didn't play a lot of games.

Options to turn almost all the arcade editions off and play a semi-normal game though obviously the craziness is what makes this game stand out for me. No sliders really (though ESPN is the only game with worthwhile sliders). No fatigue marker for pitchers or warm up in the bullpen. You need to watch your pitchers for fatigue though they do have good stats and a stamina rating.

Controls are easy and intuitive with several different load outs. There's one addition I'd love to see in other games though it's hard to remember it's there after years of baseball game play...you can use the right analog to throw to a base! Just shift it towards the applicable bag. Very, very nice.

Online (Live) seems very nice with an easy to use format. Easy tournaments, etc. Didn't play because it was late and no friends were signed on. No new rosters yet (current as of end of March). Ranking is by score system. You start at 500 points and gain or lose depending on the quality of your opponent. You lose points if you disconnect and are losing.

All in all a bucket of candy so far. Nice on the eyes, easy to play but with a lot of little strategies using the arcade options like turbo and violence haha. Actually works with baseball for me and I can imagine this game being a ton of fun for those who like the arcade more than sports sims and a welcome relief for the latter. Tons of extras like stadiums, wacky teams and effects, etc which just add to the package. Priced at $39.99. It's never going to be the best sim but it plays a better basic game than some of the sims available.

Another very solid effort from MIDWAY. They've released a ton of great games as of late.

ps- if you get it for Xbox and want to play...gamertag is caninusrule. Leave yours.

Rodriguez

DMczaf said:
Come on guys! Sell MVP and ESPN!

Actually, it's more like "Kotex, sell your copy of ESPN. Everyone else, sell your copies of MVP".

I might get this. Damn you Midway for releasing the game this late. I'll probably only play this for a couple weeks and then give up on it when NCAA Football 2005 releases.

Top Bottom