• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME IS.....................................

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
There are far too many to list to make a Poll. If the thread catches on then maybe I can keep an updated count list on the Original Post. This is really a simple thread and should be easy to keep track of a consensus if everyone follows the rules. Here is it.

1. List only one game, no honorable mentions, no multiple choices, just one game. Trilogies are excluded (for example Mass Effect trilogy) only independent games say (Mass Effect 2 for example)
2. Can be from any Platform in any generation. Turned based, Action based, etc are all included
3. If you can not decided on only one I asked you to abstain from the thread until you have made a decision on one choice. Think of it as trapped on a desert island and can only have one game.
4. I know this is very hard because I have a ton of beloved games myself. I suggest you pick one that really personally you love instead of the popular choices.

LET THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME FROM THE NEOGAF FORUMS BE KNOWN:

My choice: Skies of Arcade Legends (remake of Skies of Arcadia)

The Top 3 so Far (I excluded most multiple choices for failing to follow directions)

1. With 17 Votes
xtwtloes2z331.jpg

2. With 14 Votes
EFPhHZEVUAEy2Gq.jpg

3. With 8 Votes

7Z4zYk2.jpg

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
There are far too many to list to make a Poll. If the thread catches on then maybe I can keep an updated count list on the Original Post. This is really a simple thread and should be easy to keep track of a consensus if everyone follows the rules. Here is it.

1. List only one game, no honorable mentions, no multiple choices, just one game. Trilogies are excluded (for example Mass Effect trilogy) only independent games say (Mass Effect 2 for example)
2. Can be from any Platform in any generation. Turned based, Action based, etc are all included
3. If you can not decided on only one I asked you to abstain from the thread until you have made a decision on one choice. Think of it as trapped on a desert island and can only have one game.
4. I know this is very hard because I have a ton of beloved games myself. I suggest you pick one that really personally you love instead of the popular choices.

LET THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME FROM THE NEOGAF FORUMS BE KNOWN:

My choice: Skies of Arcade Legends (remake of Skies of Arcadia)
Stop drilling my friend, you hit oil. 🤣

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 7 OG.

There's a reason they've remade it, and the remake has sold millions.

It changed the way RPGs (especially JRPGs) were regarded in the video games industry.
It introduced multiple iconic characters.
It told a complex and interesting story from start to finish.
It has one of the greatest deaths in video game history.
It's villain remains brilliant (One Winged Angel is still the best boss battle theme ever).
It had a very satisfying main story, and some frankly brilliant side quests (Emerald Weapon is still my most memorable boss fight of all time).
It sold the power of the Playstation at a time when 3d gaming was still in its infancy.
It made Square as a company.

There are RPGs that I prefer playing now (ToTK, ER, W3 etc.) but nothing has had the cultural, financial or technological impact of FF7.

Last edited:
FFVII, I'll never forget the build-up to this game when it originally released, all the gaming mag coverage, the ads ("you can hear your pupils dilate"), the hype was insane. The game released, it absolutely delivered on everything becoming an instant classic and literally spawning it's own franchise within Final Fantasy (Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children etc). Remake was god-tier, it had no right being as good as it was given the expectations, I cannot wait for Rebirth next week, Final Fantasy for life ⚔️

Sleepwalker

Final Fantasy 7 OG.

There's a reason they've remade it, and the remake has sold millions.

It changed the way RPGs (especially JRPGs) were regarded in the video games industry.
It introduced multiple iconic characters.
It told a complex and interesting story from start to finish.
It has one of the greatest deaths in video game history.
It's villain remains brilliant (One Winged Angel is still the best boss battle theme ever).
It had a very satisfying main story, and some frankly brilliant side quests (Emerald Weapon is still my most memorable boss fight of all time).
It sold the power of the Playstation at a time when 3d gaming was still in its infancy.
It made Square as a company.

There are RPGs that I prefer playing now (ToTK, ER, W3 etc.) but nothing has had the cultural, financial or technological impact of FF7.

Yeah this

Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Pejo

Final Fantasy II/IV.
I always end up coming back to it after considering all of the other JRPGs I've played (a lot of them). Just a simple but classic story when videogame stories were really nothing much to write home about. Great party mechanics, incredible music, fun battle system. It does so many "firsts" for modern jrpgs that were later perfected by other games. There's not a single character in the playable cast that I don't like too, which is very rare.

Runner up for me would be Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Top Bottom