• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE BEST RPG OF ALL TIME IS.....................................

Isa

Too many choices in an ever evolving genre with a spate of subgenres across what... 40 years of existence. Way too many options.

Shining Force for me. So easy to pick up and play. Simple yet interesting story that is straight to the point and gets the player into the action fairly quickly. Stellar art and the ability to explore the world in between missions. The iconic music. May not be the best for many but the love I still have for the game and series in general has lasted decades.

A dream game for me would to have Vanillaware do a remake or new entry with SF since they would keep the 2D and seeing their horse and cavalry animations in Unicorn Overlord made me want to see them draw some lovely centaurs. The only clash would be the colour palette.

So many amazing games over the years though, Dragon Quest franchise, FF(with 4-9 being incredible), Xenoblade Chronicles(2 being my fave and my gfs), Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Shadow Hearts 1&2, Phantasy Stars, Lunars 1&2, Grandias, Golden Suns, Suikodens(my sis would kill me if I didn't mention them), Valkyria Chronicles, Personas, Morrowind, Fallouts, Kotors, Mass Effects, etc etc. Thankfully we're spoilt for choice save for many titles being stuck on old hardware so there are many that face extinction sadly save for emulation.

XXL

The answer is Baldur's Gate 3.

I don't think any game has even came close with the actual moment to moment ROLE-PLAYING ELEMENTS of an RPG.

The amount of choices (that matter) in that game is astonishing. Multiple playthroughs only make that element of it hit harder.

It's one of the best games (not just RPGS) of all time, as far as I'm concerned.

StereoVsn

I don't think any game has even came close with the actual moment to moment ROLE-PLAYING ELEMENTS of an RPG.

The amount of choices (that matter) in that game is astonishing. Multiple playthroughs only make that element of it hit harder.

It's one of the best games (not just RPGS) of all time, as far as I'm concerned.
I think objectively this is right. That said while I loved the game I actually liked Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous more as there were very cool mechanics around ascension that I haven’t seen anywhere since perhaps BG2.

I can’t make up my mind out though overall. On PC side we have Fallout 2, Baldur’s Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Pathfinder Wrath the Righteous, Divinity OS2 and many more. Still have a soft spot for Wizardry 7 and Might & Magic 6-7 as well.

Then we have FF VI, VII, Chrono Trigger, Persona games, DQ and much, much more. And let’s not forget KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 (this one on PC).

0 chance I can make up my mind, lol. Although personally the biggest impact were perhaps FFVII and Persona 4 Golden, but mainly due to other things going on in my life at the time.

SpiceRacz

lf0w23ue61ukvrr7nbrh.gif

The first and only answer that comes to mind.

samoilaaa

Happy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

A lot of newer games have graphics going for them, but the world and character building in PT was unparalleled. The revelations about the world you got when traversing it were unmatched in any other RPG for me.
i hate the fact that i cant play it because of the graphics , i would like a remake for this and 1st deus ex

there are so many great rpgs its so hard to pick only one

Elder scrolls 4 , Wasteland 3 , pathfinder wrath of the righteous , baldurs gate series , witcher series , souls series , deus ex series , fallout series , divinity original sin series , gothic series and the list goes on and on

we kinda saw a revival of rpgs in the latest years and i cant wait to see how the upcoming ones turn out

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Yup - I’ve only played it for an hour or two and it is obviously the best - great systems, writing and incredible depth.

• Fire
Reactions: XXL
Dragon Quest V (PS2) is my pick. It has a plot befitting a novel about a hero's life-long journey filled with trials and tribulations. It pulls no punches with its twists and turns while remaining optimistically adventurous. It uses a turn-based battle system with nuance and challenge. It also allows the player to recruit monsters to fight in their party.

Last edited:
In my opinion being the greatest RPG of all time means that it’s not only the most incredible game, but it also has stood the test of time.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Xenogears

Reactions: Isa

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Am I allowed to vote for WoW? WoW.

Otherwise BG3.

• Fire
Reactions: XXL

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This is far too complicated a choice, because there are far too many sub-genres.

JRPG:
Star Ocean 2

Open World:
Elden Ring

1st person:
Morrowind

HM: Witcher 3, Remnant 2, FF9, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Vesperia, Fallout 3, FF6, Daggerfall, Xenoblade Chronicles, Deus Ex, KOTOR

The genre is so damn deep.
But if you had to pick one?

ReyBrujo

Final Fantasy VI (FF3 in US).

My top 3 is FF6, CT and Secret of Mana, those are the ones I played the most. Terranigma and Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) would get honorable mentions which OP doesn't want. And heck, I would include Labyrinth of Galleria in my top 10 even though it is a dungeon crawler, that game is amazing.

Last edited:

Griffon

Final Fantasy VII

Edit: just as I was writing something else, I realized that FF7 is simply the best RPG period. The others are good but not as close to perfection as this game.

Honorable mentions/close seconds:
Chrono Trigger
Persona 5
Trials of Mana (SNES)

I used to say FF9 was also on the level, but recent replays showed me that it was mostly due to the amazing characters and art direction, sadly the gameplay is way too tedious.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Thats just a terrible way to conduct a contest, there is so many games in this "genre" that its hard to simply name one, you have to give multiple options and calculate based on a formula, or anything but limiting to 1 is not going to be efficient.
Alternatively you can separate the sub-genres; Action RPG and RPG and vote based on that.

And these contests tend to go towards popularity route, you have users who play only one genre and they vote, you also have users who play too few games and they still vote, all of this count the same, you have users who played hundreds of RPGs across all subgenres, its just not a good system, instead of trying to champion one game i suggest we make a list like GameStar (german outlet) but maybe remove the ranking, a list of lets say 50 games where its NeoGAF recommended list for RPGs, or top 50 RPGs you must play.
Otherwise if you want a contest change the vote from 1 to 10 at least.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
a list of lets say 50 games where its NeoGAF recommended list for RPGs, or top 50 RPGs you must play
Truth is, it's like you said: it becomes a popularity contest.
How many people have even played a considerable amount of japanese, european and american RPGs?
As far as I know, Gaf is biased toward JRPGs.

Look at RPGCodex Top voted list (2019) for instance, how many of these even got mentioned here?

16928.jpg

Top Bottom