• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Smash that like button!"

brap

Banned
HEY EVERYBODY ITS DUMBFUCKSHITFACE69 HERE AND BEFORE YOU EVEN WATCH MY SHITTY ASS VIDEO I WANT YOU TO ELBOW DROP THAT FUCKIN LIKE BUTTON, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, CLICK THAT BELL AND BUY DAT MERCH YALL.
DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY PATREON, TWITTER, FACEBOOK, MYSPACE, FRIENDSTER, LINKEDIN, XANGA, BEEBO, AND MY GIRLFRIEND'S ONLYFANS!

nush

Gold Member
Hit Subscribe!
Turn on that notification bell!
Leave a comment below!
Follow me on twitter!
Support me on patreon!
Check out my instagram!
Share my Facebook page!

Woah.

Is this seriously the future of the internet? Everyone wants to be an E-begger or influencer?

When your only income is from YouTube because it was easy bucks if you were good and now the rules changed. You can tell which channels have a diversified income when they don't do that shit.

JordanN

Banned
When your only income is from YouTube because it was easy bucks if you were good and now the rules changed. You can tell which channels have a diversified income when they don't do that shit.
Even on videos with less than 100 views, I still see the same "SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON".

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I watch a few Youtubers regularly and I always do forget until they mention it and I literally pause the video and press like before I forget again. So I can understand why they always say it.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It doesn’t really bother me. Liking and subscribing will boost their range and visibility on the platform, and if you enjoy their videos, or want similar recommendations, why not? Likewise, you’ll also ensure good content is rewarded, and make the entire platform better.

A lot of people don’t realize that, or forget in the moment, so a reminder helps.

My only issue is when it’s right at the beginning. Content first, please.

It doesn’t really bother me. Liking and subscribing will boost their range and visibility on the platform, and if you enjoy their videos, or want similar recommendations, why not? Likewise, you’ll also ensure good content is rewarded, and make the entire platform better.

A lot of people don’t realize that, or forget in the moment, so a reminder helps.

Basically what I think about this.

I watch a lot of youtube lately, and if it's content I like, why not give it a like and subscribing to the channel if you regularly watch their stuff.

Some people are just a little bit too much into your face with it, though.

Kadayi

Banned

Same. I get that its annoying with some channels, especially when they push out a constant stream of content, but it definitely helps out smaller channels, especially now Youtube seems to have changed its approach and just throw up the same suggested videos again and again. I preferred the old way of being able to F5 and get a whole bunch of different suggestions. Also WTF with the bizarre categories BS at the top of the page. Warhammer 40K....but why.gif? Have zero interest in that (sorry Warhammer fans..not my bag), why algorithm why? You're tearing me apart. Zero inability to just go 'That's a No Dawg'

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned

My opinion is if your content is already good enough, then people should be able to naturally decide for themselves if they want follow or subscribe to a channel. Otherwise, it begins to look desperate.

That's not to say these E-Celebs should never promote themselves. I understand it's a business and they need to eat like everyone else. I guess it would be nicer if it was done in a less condensing manner.

For example "I hope you enjoy my video. If you liked what you see, there's even more similar content in my channel" bla bla bla.

Last edited:
Hit Subscribe!
Leave a comment below!
Follow me on twitter!
Support me on patreon!
Check out my instagram!
Share my Facebook page!

Woah.

Is this seriously the future of the internet? Everyone wants to be an E-begger or influencer?

Great post and very insightful. So that brings us to the end of my post, if you enjoyed this post please don't forget to drop a like it really helps me out. And I'll see you all next time. Link to merch in my bio.

GymWolf

Gold Member
When even chael sonnen has to make 2-3 min ads for erectile disfunction medications before talking about the most testosterone filled sport in existence you know we are in the darkest timeline.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Hit Subscribe!
Leave a comment below!
Follow me on twitter!
Support me on patreon!
Check out my instagram!
Share my Facebook page!

Woah.

I hate mfers that do this shit. i never do any of it when they say it like that.

I will like and subscribe to video that... have no introductions or unnecessary explanation of the video. just fucking go! I can see your name and channel title on my fucking screen, I’m about to hear everything you’re going to say you don’t need to do that you fucking asshole. jfc

additionally if they say all that “smash the like button” shit, I’ve already exited out before they finish.

if they are straight to the point, quick 2 or 3 minute video, and they don’t go for the subscription begging, then I will might subscribe if I think it’s something I will use... but still probably not. But I will remember that persons name and face and seek out their quick, straight to the point and helpful videos in the future.

Try and sit through any of this fuckers intros without wanting to kill yourself. I dare you.

never, have I ever, wanted to smack the absolute crap out of a woman more than I do rn

Last edited:

DogofWar

I don't mind "liking" stuff. But since I dislike people who behave like the OP describes I wont "like" them
Simple as that.

T8SC

Gold Member
Hit Subscribe!
Leave a comment below!
Follow me on twitter!
Support me on patreon!
Check out my instagram!
Share my Facebook page!

Woah.

I find your lack of OnlyFans disturbing.

Loke

I refuse... I actually deleted one of my channels a couple weeks ago because one of my videos went viral. All the little fuckers telling me like "oh I like what I see here" "can't wait for more videos!"

Delete.....

Why did you delete your fan sequel to The Thing? I loved it. Luckily a guy reuploaded it to YouTube but I'm curious why you got rid of it since so much work got put into it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wife got a new truck from work and I had to google how to open up the hood because they put the latch in a weird place now.

Anyway so I go to YouTube and it’s like 1:30 of “yo yo yo it’s your boy, blah blah intro intro” and then 30 seconds of the information that I actually need.

This happens with video games too and it’s the worst.

Davey Cakes

I don't do the notification bell. I hit the like button, subscribe to my favorite channels, and support creators on Patreon as well.

It's not e-begging IMO. These people are technically running businesses (or side businesses) and YouTube hasn't been particularly kind with their algorithm recently. It doesn't hurt to throw them some bucks or at least hit the "like" button if you enjoy the content.

Last edited:

BigBooper

It's horrible when they are a channel discussing thoughtful topics and still do that "pounce on that like button good buddy" spiel. Just say click. It doesn't make it more exciting.

I don't blame them entirely, because I don't know what it takes to get by on YouTube. If it's a stream deal where they are just constantly saying the name of who tipped, I'm out immediately. That's some of the creepiest stuff around. No different than paying an onlyfans girl to spread her toes on a foot show.

CeroFrio996

Banned
Hit Subscribe!
Leave a comment below!
Follow me on twitter!
Support me on patreon!
Check out my instagram!
Share my Facebook page!

Woah.

It's because, like every other capitalist endeavor, youtube is hoarding the wealth produced by the creative people who make their platform great, so the only way people can get by anymore is by getting money outside the youtube adspace. If you don't like it, take it up with Youtube and their shitty scheme to make as much money as possible for themselves while leaving the people that make that money for them outside in the cold.

additionally if they say all that “smash the like button” shit, I’ve already exited out before they finish.

Oh no, some people try to add some personality to their desperate plea to get a smidgen of money for the content you viewed for FREE. HOW DARE THEY.

Kev Kev

Oh no, some people try to add some personality to their desperate plea to get a smidgen of money for the content you viewed for FREE. HOW DARE THEY.
you call saying the exact same thing as every other youtuber out there adding personality? lol no, its annoying and pathetic. and they are the ones on there shoveling out free content to me, i dont owe them shit, not even a smidgen.

make the video so good that i want to hit the like and sub button by myself, or pay more for your product. but for the love of god never ever say "SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON" or i will think you are an uncreative douche bag

jadedm17

Have you seen the money they make? Can you blame them?

Also yes i hate it too, I cant regularly watch those kind of videos; Im okay with ones that do it quickly, subtly or jokingly.

Davey Cakes

you call saying the exact same thing as every other youtuber out there adding personality? lol no, its annoying and pathetic. and they are the ones on there shoveling out free content to me, i dont owe them shit, not even a smidgen.

make the video so good that i want to hit the like and sub button by myself, or pay more for your product. but for the love of god never ever say "SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON" or i will think you are an uncreative douche bag
I understand why you'd be annoyed by a bunch of these creators repeating the same thing, in regards to the "Please like, subscribe, and hit that notification bell" stuff.

That said, the whole point IS that you don't owe them anything. Viewing a video for 30 seconds is all that should be expected from the beginning if it's a video you're interested in. Creators are going out on a limb by offering their content for free, but that's just part of the business. Same goes for Twitch. The beauty is that supporting creators monetarily is an option that makes supporters feel more involved, and giving them a like and subscribe increases their potential.

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I agree with the OP, the constant begging for likes and subs and bells and sponsors and double-ads every 5 minutes in every video gets annoying fast. I understand some people rely on the revenue but if you're ruining your content with pandering it's time to rethink your strategy. I'm not opposed to an occasional shameless self-promotion, but let your content speak for itself, guys. There are a few people like Davie504 that have worked the "slap like now" into his persona and it's not annoying but fun to see, but most "content creators" don't bother.

That said, I understand why they do it, and why so many do it at the beginning of the video. People rarely watch to the very end, just like most people only read the headline and lede of a news story. And I think the begging would be a bot more tolerable if there weren't so many ads. If I have to skip thru multiple ads and your intro spiel and then listen to how I need to smash like and then hear about your sponsor before getting to your content, I'm probably not coming back to the channel. So it could be considered a double-edged sword.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
The one that i hate that i've been seeing lately is

"I've been checking my metrics and I see you guys click away from my videos 1 minute into the video. Be sure to stay to the end"

I don't give a FUCK about your metrics.

Jeeves

Remember when people made youtube videos just because they wanted to? For their own satisfaction?

I was shocked when I learned people do it for a living. The concept was so wild to me at the time.

MetalAlien

Banned
Remember when people made youtube videos just because they wanted to? For their own satisfaction?

I was shocked when I learned people do it for a living. The concept was so wild to me at the time.
it's the only youtube I care about... fuck the rest.

Davey Cakes

It’s such a cool thing. For a little while I preferred YouTube to regular TV. Now I do both and still keep up with my favorite creators.

Independent media is great. I’d rather have it than pay for cable. I just wish that YouTubers weren’t working with an algorithm that favors mainstream content.

Nymphae

Banned
I don't regularly watch ebeggars so I pretty much never see this sort of thing. It's free content from randoms on the internet, that they attempt to promote themselves is not all that surprising. If it gets obnoxious you fast forward or move on, this isn't network tv we're being forced to sit through. You're choosing this.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
HEY EVERYBODY ITS DUMBFUCKSHITFACE69 HERE AND BEFORE YOU EVEN WATCH MY SHITTY ASS VIDEO I WANT YOU TO ELBOW DROP THAT FUCKIN LIKE BUTTON, COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, CLICK THAT BELL AND BUY DAT MERCH YALL.
DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY PATREON, TWITTER, FACEBOOK, MYSPACE, FRIENDSTER, LINKEDIN, XANGA, BEEBO, AND MY GIRLFRIEND'S ONLYFANS!
Fuck off idubbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbz

Top Bottom