• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Smash that like button!"

JordanN

Banned
Have you seen the money they make? Can you blame them?

Also yes i hate it too, I cant regularly watch those kind of videos; Im okay with ones that do it quickly, subtly or jokingly.
Or they could get a real job?

Only exception is if they're a professional educator like a Teacher or Doctor and they provide content that actually benefits society.

But if they're just playing PS4 games all day but are still crying they're not making enough money *cough* darksydephil*cough* , the problem isn't youtube.

I grew up in a time before the internet made it extremely easy to earn money doing exactly nothing, so I can't really sympathize if someone got the idea to turn it into a full time career but couldn't exactly understand the market.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
No such thing.
????

Engineer, Medical Practitioner, Programmer, Secretary, Plumber, Electrician hell even just stocking boxes at a factory is a real job.

Streaming your PS4 or Xbox games onto the internet and expecting money is a privilege.

No such thing. A metric shit ton of jobs are bullshit jobs. Entertainment industry in all its forms is legitimate, even if it doesn't appear to add much to society.
If every Doctor or Fast Food worker went on strike, society would collapse. Can't say the same about Pewdiepie, even as influential as he is today.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

If every Doctor or Fast Food worker went on strike, society would collapse. Can't say the same about Pewdiepie, even as influential as he is today.
The beauty if a capitalistic society is that we can enjoy the benefits of both!

We rely on ambitious people to benefit society in a number of significant ways. You can't oversell the importance of a doctor. But, people need escapism too, and those who decide to develop video games and television shows OR review/analyze video games and television shows ARE serving a purpose.

Plus, not all creators are just playing games or whatever. They're researching. They're writing and performing scripts. They're putting themselves in front of the camera. The ones who aren't doing it on their own have entire teams of people to help edit and present the content. It's production.

People might see ASMR as bullshit, but perhaps a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or soldier benefits from having some kind of media that helps them sleep. Making tens of thousands of dollars by whispering into a microphone might seem silly but it serves a purpose, and it is a legitimate calling for some. Doesn't matter if it's not as prestigious as being an actual therapist.

The reason I say there are no "real jobs" is because the importance of jobs is subjective. I mean, yeah, the jobs holding society together are on a complete different level, but all the possible jobs and services below that level are arguable in their significance based purely on point-of-view.

I don't mean to get into a huge argument about this, by the way. I just want to be fair to people that are attempting to go into business for themselves in ways that current technologies allow.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
The beauty if a capitalistic society is that we can enjoy the benefits of both!

We rely on ambitious people to benefit society in a number of significant ways. You can't oversell the importance of a doctor. But, people need escapism too, and those who decide to develop video games and television shows OR review/analyze video games and television shows ARE serving a purpose.

Plus, not all creators are just playing games or whatever. They're researching. They're writing and performing scripts. They're putting themselves in front of the camera. The ones who aren't doing it on their own have entire teams of people to help edit and present the content. It's production.

People might see ASMR as bullshit, but perhaps a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or soldier benefits from having some kind of media that helps them sleep. Making tens of thousands of dollars by whispering into a microphone might seem silly but it serves a purpose, and it is a legitimate calling for some. Doesn't matter if it's not as prestigious as being an actual therapist.

The reason I say there are no "real jobs" is because the importance of jobs is subjective. I mean, yeah, the jobs holding society together are on a complete different level, but all the possible jobs and services below that level are arguable in their significance based purely on point-of-view.

I don't mean to get into a huge argument about this, by the way. I just want to be fair to people that are attempting to go into business for themselves in ways that current technologies allow.
The only issue I have with your post is, for a lot of people who don't have a complex understanding of how the world works, taking on jobs they think are "important" but actually aren't, could lead them down a path of financial ruin.

If someone just as much applies to a factory for work, they're still not going to starve. They wont have to complain about where money will come from. Yes, the pay is still very low, but the nature of factories means they will be around for a long time.

If someone becomes a full time ASMR or Game Streamer, they expect their market to always exist. But what happens when the Soldier or Doctor gets bored and stops watching? Then all your revenue disappears with it! Even if it might serve a purpose, the market for this kind of stuff is far more fragile and fickle, then some guy who just applied for Factory work.

You need to be a cunning business person to actually make this profession look legitimate next to other ones. For example, I mentioned Pewdiepie earlier and even though his same audience could just go away one day, he's obviously doing something right to still earn millions of dollars every year to feed himself. Just keep in mind that 99% of the world can't be like him and thus that's how I come to the conclusion that being a full time streamer comes with more risks than actual rewards.

in fact, my actual argument is that 99% of streamers aren't actually a real job. Only the top 1% who've actually made it can claim what they're doing is important because they draw in large crowds who actually wish to support them.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Hit Subscribe!
Turn on that notification bell!
Leave a comment below!
Follow me on twitter!
Support me on patreon!
Check out my instagram!
Share my Facebook page!

Woah.

Is this seriously the future of the internet? Everyone wants to be an E-begger or influencer?

You forgot the part at the beginning of the video where they say, "This video is sponsored by Square Space / Audible / etc." I almost miss old timey blogs when this wasn't a thing.

J-Roderton

Mostly I just watch video game stuff on YouTube and prefer the”no commentary” stuff. Hell, I make videos all the time but I don’t talk over them and I upload for fun as a hobby.

Top Bottom