• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES vs Genesis: who got the better Castlevania & Contra?

Which versions of the Konami classics did you prefer?

• Total voters

Variahunter

I never felt the need to state something as stupid as SNES is better at music than MD as some kind of absolute truth. Who is defending his childhood already ? The guy with a SNES avatar maybe ?

You mistook Koshiro and Sakimoto and state things like this ? Clearly you don't have as much knowledge about the MD as you would like us to believe :)

Koshiro only did a handful of OSTs on MD. This is insulting towards all other awesome composers that worked on the console. I remember a guy I met in real life. Was the greatest SNES fan if you listened to his words. Stated that MegaDrive music was shit except for Sonic, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe. He was incapable of citing other games anyway. What's even more funny is that I actually had much more knowledge than him about the SNES, why not being a fan of this console.

So wind instruments, like organ and flute, are well reproduced on synth. Gotcha.
I had both console during my childhood. You clearly didn't.

Not saying that Genesis doesn't have good music (Gauntlet IV, SoR 2 and Thunderforce IV being some of my absolute favourites, along with the newly released Xeno Crisis), but it's not on the same level and pretty limited compared to the SNES.

And no, your flute is imaginary and doesn't sound at all like a flute. Keep trying and lying to yourself while coping by listening to FFVI intro music lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Not saying that Genesis doesn't have good music (Gauntlet IV, SoR 2 and Thunderforce IV being some of my absolute favourites, along with the newly released Xeno Crisis), but it's not on the same level and pretty limited compared to the SNES.

And no, your flute is imaginary and doesn't sound at all like a flute. Keep trying and lying to yourself while coping by listening to FFVI intro music lol
I agree.

Genesis games could have great music too, but what you could get from SNES game could be clearly better. Not just music, but digitized voice too.

Even for something as simple as this sounds incredible. You didnt get this on Genesis. Anything brass/orchestra related some reason was way better on SNES.

Last edited:

cireza

Oh yeah sure haha. Whatever floats your boat.

I never gave a shit about MD being able to do classical instruments, never was interested in it anyway, and the FM Synth is obviously not suited to make ALL the sounds you want. Even though, it doesn't make the SNES "better at music" full stop. Because SNES is inferior on a number of aspects, which have already been shared previously. These are facts and not personal preferences.

I have personally always preferred the clean, clear and deep sound of the MegaDrive and the kind of soundtracks we got thanks to the FM Synth. But I am not going to tell you the console was better than the SNES at music, because I am not some pretentious man-child.

Here are some tracks I really like on the console, some being types of music that were not really common on SNES by the way.

I prefer sharing what was great on each console rather than stating dumb things such as MD < > SNES.

A personal favorite on SNES, pretty sure you will hear the flute here :

Last edited:

Variahunter

I agree.

Genesis games could have great music too, but what you could get from SNES game could be clearly better. Not just music, but digitized voice too.

Even for something as simple as this sounds incredible. You didnt get this on Genesis. Anything brass/orchestra related some reason was way better on SNES.

Actraiser has a great soundtrack, but the second episode is god tier !

The intro is the same with better samples :

That game is a jewel. One of the most atmospheric (and hard lol) of my childhood.

That's a tough one. I like Bloodlines over IV and Alien Wars over Hardcorps but the Japanese version of Hardcorps is a very close second place. (Fuck the USA version)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Actraiser has a great soundtrack, but the second episode is god tier !

The intro is the same with better samples :

That game is a jewel. One of the most atmospheric (and hard lol) of my childhood.

Damn. I missed out since I never played AR2! I had both Genesis and SNES bac then at the same time. I focused on sports and Sega arcade games and Phantasy Star on Gen. On SNES, it was Mario, SF and Konami games..... and Aerobiz!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm a huge Castlevania fan but don't actually like the SNES games at all. Massive disappointments after the perfection of CIII: Dracula's Curse on the NES.

My canon / "main line" for Castlevania is probably:

I (NES)
II (NES)
III (NES)
Rondo of Blood (PC Engine)
Symphony of the Night (PSX)
Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
Dawn of Sorrow (DS)

...and that's probably a complete list for me, everything else is secondary

Last edited:

radewagon

Not a big fan of Contra, so I've got no skin in that matchup, but for Castlevania.... Bloodlines all day every day.

Back when I was in high school, one of my friends asked me about which games he should get for an SNES he found at a swap meet. This was the PSX era, so SNES titles were pretty easy to get on the cheap. Having only had a Genesis, I told him to pick up SCIV since I had always heard great things. Well, he took my advice and later on let me know that it wasn't really good. I knew he had to be wrong. But then, a few years on, with the help of SNES9X, I finally got to play it and.... y'know.... dude was right. I still don't understand the love for the game. It's just kinda meh. I've played just about every Castlevania game and, honestly, SCIV is bottom tier for me. It's one of the most dull-looking and dull-sounding Castlevania games out there. If I didn't know any better and someone showed me images of it, I'd probably be convinced that it was a Castlevania knockoff. I can't help but think SCIV getting a boost by being a Nintendo game and having been played in one's formative years.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I still don't understand the love for the game. It's just kinda meh. I've played just about every Castlevania game and, honestly, SCIV is bottom tier for me. It's one of the most dull-looking and dull-sounding Castlevania games out there. If I didn't know any better and someone showed me images of it, I'd probably be convinced that it was a Castlevania knockoff
Same

and as I said above, I adore CIII: Dracula's Curse on the original NES -- a brilliantly constructed game from end to end. Other than the initial wow factor of seeing the new freeform whip movement, IV on the SNES felt like a cheap knockoff compared to its predecessor.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
The only correct answer, of course, is "All of the Above."

Castlevania 4 and Contra 3 are fantastic on the Super Nintendo. Bloodlines and Hard Corps are fantastic on the Genesis. Both consoles have excellent titles that show off their respective hardware, look terrific, sound amazing, play brilliantly.

At least Castlevania was able to successfully reinvent itself with Symphony of the Night. Contra was never so lucky, and so the franchise seems to have peaked during the 16-bit era. And so you're guaranteed a great time here with all four videogames.

cireza

The only correct answer, of course, is "All of the Above."
They are definitely all good games and we are lucky to have compilations made by M2 or both series, and available on all consoles. People should definitely give them 5 bucks for each when they are on sale and enjoy. You even get the Japanese versions, which is the way to go for many of these games, especially Castlevania III and Hard Corps (much easier versions).

RAIDEN1

It's pretty obvious, Nintendo came out on top here, Sega only ever got one Castlevania game in this generation and to really give it an edge..opportunity missed not to have a Sega CD version of Castlevania with red-book audio, and scaling effects, (list this under the other BIG missed opportunities, ie no Super Street Fighter CD, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist CD, both of which would have been big system sellers)....Contra meanwhile looked more bad-ass and had better music on the SNES...

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Sorry to destroy your hope and dreams, Nintendo boys.

Let's face the harsh reality:

"Castlevania 4 has better graphics and it's not even close":
eLmJP7i.png

#rosetintedglasses off 🤯

The ugly Megadrive game:
g7bLV11.png

(I didn't even show inside the castle screenshots, i'm civilized 😜)

Plus, Bloodlines and Hardcorps both have different gameplays and characters for a better replay value.

We can close the thread 🥳

Last edited:

DeathGuise

I never felt the need to state something as stupid as SNES is better at music than MD as some kind of absolute truth. Who is defending his childhood already ? The guy with a SNES avatar maybe ?

You mistook Koshiro and Sakimoto and state things like this ? Clearly you don't have as much knowledge about the MD as you would like us to believe :)

Koshiro only did a handful of OSTs on MD. This is insulting towards all other awesome composers that worked on the console. I remember a guy I met in real life. Was the greatest SNES fan if you listened to his words. Stated that MegaDrive music was shit except for Sonic, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe. He was incapable of citing other games anyway. What's even more funny is that I actually had much more knowledge than him about the SNES, while not being a fan of this console.

So wind instruments, like organ and flute, are well reproduced on synth. Gotcha.
Dude the SNES sound was light years beyond the shitty Genesis chip

You either have a sonic plush or you're schizophrenic

NeptuneCL

All of them are actually, pretty good, tbh.

But, Super Castlevania IV is the jewel of the crown, it's just perfect.

Between Contra 3 and Hard Corps is a difficult choise, both are fantastic entries to the series, but I'm inclining to Contra 3 just for the nostalgia factor, nothing more.

Variahunter

Oh yeah sure haha. Whatever floats your boat.

I never gave a shit about MD being able to do classical instruments, never was interested in it anyway, and the FM Synth is obviously not suited to make ALL the sounds you want. Even though, it doesn't make the SNES "better at music" full stop. Because SNES is inferior on a number of aspects, which have already been shared previously. These are facts and not personal preferences.

I have personally always preferred the clean, clear and deep sound of the MegaDrive and the kind of soundtracks we got thanks to the FM Synth. But I am not going to tell you the console was better than the SNES at music, because I am not some pretentious man-child.

Here are some tracks I really like on the console, some being types of music that were not really common on SNES by the way.

I prefer sharing what was great on each console rather than stating dumb things such as MD < > SNES.

A personal favorite on SNES, pretty sure you will hear the flute here :

These kind of tracks were pretty common everywhere and don't have anything special outside of Turrican.
And if I try to listen the rest of the tracks, I just hear robot sounds that are far from what great composers like Koshiro / Sakimoto and Iwata could produce, given they had the right theme to work with. So you basically resumed most of the soundtracks on the Genesis.

Seriously, no matter how good a game is, the OST on the Genesis almost always botched it.

Compare the soundtracks of :
  • Secret of Mana/Zelda Alttp/FFVI
  • Landstalker/Soleil/Phantasy Star IV...
Stark difference here... Outside of some combat music from Phantasy Star IV that are really dynamic, the rest is hard to listen in game nowadays, and near impossible when not playing.

So from your examples, the only good one was from Turrican :

Which is better on SNES, from the same channel (Sega 16-Bits, so no bias lol), so same quality :

And closer to the composer vision, as heard in the anthology he worked on :

You just show you know nothing about SNES, that Shiren the Wanderer OST is from the DS episode.
Maybe it was a trap/test so you could say "gotcha" if I confirmed it was from the SNES ? Because the point here is to have a flute sound from the Genesis, just saying...

You're slowly but surely slipping into bad faith arguments.

Dexero

The Megadrive entries are much better but people played 3 and IV (snes games) more.

3 has the horrible overhead levels and IV is so damn slow it’s barely playable nowadays (and was a torture in 50 hz) and both were mared by slowdowns and other technical issues typical of launch period SFC games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These kind of tracks were pretty common everywhere and don't have anything special outside of Turrican.
And if I try to listen the rest of the tracks, I just hear robot sounds that are far from what great composers like Koshiro / Sakimoto and Iwata could produce, given they had the right theme to work with. So you basically resumed most of the soundtracks on the Genesis.

Seriously, no matter how good a game is, the OST on the Genesis almost always botched it.

Stark difference here... Outside of some combat music from Phantasy Star IV that are really dynamic, the rest is hard to listen in game nowadays, and near impossible when not playing.

Which is better on SNES, from the same channel (Sega 16-Bits, so no bias lol), so same quality :

You just show you know nothing about SNES, that Shiren the Wanderer OST is from the DS episode.
Maybe it was a trap/test so you could say "gotcha" if I confirmed it was from the SNES ? Because the point here is to have a flute sound from the Genesis, just saying...

SNES overall had much better audio.

This tune alone was better than any Genesis Rocket Knight tune.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
What year is this?
1993 again !

Genesis does what Nintendon't.😜

Sega Genesis has Blast processing 😎.

PS: I voted Castlevania 4 for the music.(Even if i think Bloodlines is a richer game)
Contra 3 also has a better music but, dudes...so many different characters/ gameplay replay value.Hard Corps FTW 😬

Last edited:
1993 again !

Genesis does what Nintendon't.😜

Sega Genesis has Blast processing 😎.

PS: I voted Castlevania 4 for the music.(Even if i think Bloodlines is a richer game)
Contra 3 also has a better music but, dudes...so many different characters/ gameplay replay value.Hard Corps FTW 😬

Thank you for a great answer.

(I will always pop for Demolition Man!)

Dexero

You’re insane. Half of the original Megadrive track doesn’t even render properly and can’t be heard due to the incredibly low bitrate and sample rate. Half the song’s melody is literally missing from the snes track.

Even the Amiga version of this track on Turrican 3 is a better rendition of the song over that SNES abomination.

In itself the track is fine if you’ve never heard the originals

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I played more on the Mega Drive, but I have to say that Castlevania IV is maybe the greatest overall, while Contra Hard Cops is THE shit!

Never played any of them, and a certainly don’t fuck with a genesis.

But to me, those two genesis games feel important where the SNES ones were side shows. So the Genesis games then.

SpiceRacz

Hard Corps is good, but it's difficult to the point of taking some of the enjoyment out of the game. I would say it's the most difficult Contra that I can think of and that's not a compliment. I'd rather play Contra 3 for that reason alone.

Castlevania 4 is better than Bloodlines simply for the atmosphere and music. To me, it feels more true to the spirit of the NES games in how it plays, looks, and sounds. Rondo is better than both of them though.

Super Castlevania IV and Contra: Hard Corps for the win.

Castlevania: Bloodlines is a very underrated title but not quite as iconic as Super Castlevania IV. While Contra III: The Alien Wars is a good game it just doesn't feel nearly as cohesive as Contra: Hard Corps

cireza

Calm down, I didn't check for Shiren and copied the wrong link. I was actually comparing both soundtracks when I posted it. Why the late answer by the way ? I thought you were going to ignore me :eek:

In any case your example for Turican shows how MegaDrive achieves better sounding bass and drums and overall clearer sound. Not that the SNES track is bad, Chris Huelsbeck is an amazing composer.

Same thing with Actraiser 2 posted before : it simply shows how much low/quiet and muffled these sounds are on SNES. There is no amplitude at all. Not a great example of sound quality if you ask me. But what can you hope ? Samples take memory and everything is sampled, so everything is compressed. Quality takes a hit and the lower bitrate is another way to compensate, but leads to lower quality as well. But again, it is perfectly fine to prefer this to MegaDrive music. In any case if you like Koshiro's work on Actraiser, you should give Legend of Oasis a listen.

Phantasy Star IV is perfectly fine and sounds great. It is a style that fits the futuristic theme. I replayed the game entirely recently and it didn't age one bit. I still tend to prefer 50hz for the music though, NTSC is a bit too fast for this game. Soleil is another fantastic soundtrack I don't know what you are smoking. Landstalker is also very good.

As for Doom 32X (posted above in perfectly good faith of course), it was a rushed port. The least we can hope for such a late port on SNES is to have decent music. Still is an unplayable mess though, despite remarkable efforts. Doom 32X has been fixed by the awesome SEGA community by the way, with restored content, a great FM soundtrack by Spoony Bard as well as an option for a Redbook soundtrack with the SEGA-CD.

Last edited:

Variahunter

Calm down, I didn't check for Shiren and copied the wrong link. I was actually comparing both soundtracks when I posted it. Why the late answer by the way ? I thought you were going to ignore me :eek:

In any case your example for Turican shows how MegaDrive achieves better sounding bass and drums and overall clearer sound. Not that the SNES track is bad, Chris Huelsbeck is an amazing composer.

Same thing with Actraiser 2 posted before : it simply shows how much low/quiet and muffled these sounds are on SNES. There is no amplitude at all. Not a great example of sound quality if you ask me. But what can you hope ? Samples take memory and everything is sampled, so everything is compressed. Quality takes a hit and the lower bitrate is another way to compensate, but leads to lower quality as well. But again, it is perfectly fine to prefer this to MegaDrive music. In any case if you like Koshiro's work on Actraiser, you should give Legend of Oasis a listen.

Phantasy Star IV is perfectly fine and sounds great. It is a style that fits the futuristic theme. I replayed the game entirely recently and it didn't age one bit. I still tend to prefer 50hz for the music though, NTSC is a bit too fast for this game. Soleil is another fantastic soundtrack I don't know what you are smoking. Landstalker is also very good.

As for Doom 32X (posted above in perfectly good faith of course), it was a rushed port. The least we can hope for such a late port on SNES is to have decent music. Still is an unplayable mess though, despite remarkable efforts. Doom 32X has been fixed by the awesome SEGA community by the way, with restored content, a great FM soundtrack by Spoony Bard as well as an option for a Redbook soundtrack with the SEGA-CD.

Maybe because you stealth edited your post which contained, at first, only the first phrase ?

And what was the flute music then ? You didn’t correct your mistake in your answer by giving the correct link.

Anyway, like I said, if you enjoy hearing robot farts outside of gaming context, you do you.

Last edited:

cireza

Maybe because you stealth edited your post which contained, at first, only the first phrase ?

And what was the flute music then ? You didn’t correct your mistake in your answer by giving the correct link.

Anyway, like I said, if you enjoy hearing robot farts outside of gaming context, you do you.
You have an obsession with flute, do you have one stuck down your ass or what ? You are the one who brought up this topic and I was never interested in, nor intended, to prove that classical instruments are better on MD. Because they aren't. I simply posted a few videos with interesting attempts for people to listen to and make their own conclusions.

Robot farts ? Wow, must be the first time I hear about that. Usually when we come to this we reach peak ignorance. Like many, you paint a poor picture of SNES fans.

Last edited:

digdug2

It's pretty obvious, Nintendo came out on top here, Sega only ever got one Castlevania game in this generation and to really give it an edge..opportunity missed not to have a Sega CD version of Castlevania with red-book audio, and scaling effects, (list this under the other BIG missed opportunities, ie no Super Street Fighter CD, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist CD, both of which would have been big system sellers)....Contra meanwhile looked more bad-ass and had better music on the SNES...
While it would have been cool to have Sega CD versions of all of these games, the extra effort would have ultimately been a waste of time and resources when you consider that only 5-6% of Genesis owners bought a Sega CD worldwide.

While it would have been cool to have Sega CD versions of all of these games, the extra effort would have ultimately been a waste of time and resources when you consider that only 5-6% of Genesis owners bought a Sega CD worldwide.

Why would anyone care about that? That was a million years ago. Hidden gems, regardless if they sold 1 copy, are usually sought after despite ageing because they're unique and aren't replicated.

Hard Corps is good, but it's difficult to the point of taking some of the enjoyment out of the game. I would say it's the most difficult Contra that I can think of and that's not a compliment. I'd rather play Contra 3 for that reason alone.

That's why you play the original japanese import. It's considerably easier, as designed. The US version went insanely overboard with the difficulty, and the PAL version .. i don't know what the fuck that is.

But yeah, anyone interested in Contra: Hard Cops should absolutely play the japanese version.

SpiceRacz

That's why you play the original japanese import. It's considerably easier, as designed. The US version went insanely overboard with the difficulty, and the PAL version .. i don't know what the fuck that is.

But yeah, anyone interested in Contra: Hard Cops should absolutely play the japanese version.

I’ll give it a shot today. Toned down difficulty will probably change my opinion of the game.

RAIDEN1

Yeah well it didn't help that Sega were putting a half-assed attempt at promoting their add-on, and taking their eye of the ball in terms of making it a point of having Final Fight CD, (not matter how popular it was in 89/90) and not getting a system seller like SF-2 was for the SNES onto the Sega CD, (at around about the time it came to the 3DO) it would have increased the user-base of the-add on significantly...(provided the port was handled correctly..)

cireza

SF-2 was for the SNES onto the Sega CD
And how exactly do you want to improve on such a game with the SEGA-CD ? When using a CD add-on, you are RAM constrained for all your assets. Knowing that there was already a port on the MegaDrive with all 12 characters, it would have been impossible to make a vastly superior port to the SEGA-CD.

Fatal Fury Special and Sam Sho are good showcases of what to expect from the SEGA-CD in terms of fighting games. Even though you don't have the ROM size constraint anymore, you still can't fit a ton of animations in the RAM. These games retained the full size of the sprites, but animation is severely cut and backgrounds are empty. CD consoles were never well suited for fighting games, that's the issue here. You always reach a point where whatever the amount of RAM you put in your console, it is not enough.

Last edited:

digdug2

Why would anyone care about that? That was a million years ago. Hidden gems, regardless if they sold 1 copy, are usually sought after despite ageing because they're unique and aren't replicated.

Yeah, I get you but we both know that these developers didn't have the foresight regarding the rarity market. That same thought applies to everyone. Had I known that my consoles and games would've been worth something, I wouldn't have sold them all off when I was a kid.

RAIDEN1

And how exactly do you want to improve on such a game with the SEGA-CD ? When using a CD add-on, you are RAM constrained for all your assets. Knowing that there was already a port on the MegaDrive with all 12 characters, it would have been impossible to make a vastly superior port to the SEGA-CD.

Fatal Fury Special and Sam Sho are good showcases of what to expect from the SEGA-CD in terms of fighting games. Even though you don't have the ROM size constraint anymore, you still can't fit a ton of animations in the RAM. These games retained the full size of the sprites, but animation is severely cut and backgrounds are empty. CD consoles were never well suited for fighting games, that's the issue here. You always reach a point where whatever the amount of RAM you put in your console, it is not enough.
Well for a start in the sound department it would have been vastly superior instead of the characters (the phrase I used at the time of the original genesis release) sounding like they had sore-throats....you could have had music akin to the 3DO version, throw in some animated cutscenes and right there you have a version better than the SNES ....

Top Bottom