• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Ghost Warrior: Contracts -- CryEngine is Alive!

VFXVeteran

Banned
All,

How did this fly right past my radar? I bought this game on Steam this past week because I started getting bored of Modern Warfare and thought I would give this a try. WTF?? Why did noone talk about this game? It's an incredible game and the graphics are every single bit as detailed as some of the best looking games this generation. I dissected it fairly thoroughly this past weekend and took several screenshots. On a PC @ Ultra settings @ 4k I'm NOT getting a locked 60FPS. The texture detail and lighting (no-RTX) is pretty amazing . They even managed to get rid of the blown out ambient lighting from light probes that I've grown to hate. Overall, I'd call the game a hybrid between Crysis 4 + Thief. Extremely well-done production values and kick-ass contract stories!

Here are some screens that show off the CryEngine of today:

WT6cx9N.jpg

Beautiful hyper-real color palette (ala Spiderman), excellent use of SSR, great PBR shaders, and even has good emissive lighting like in Metro: Exodus (although not ray-traced).

f4gaaAa.jpg

Excellent foliage shading with self-shadowing which is completely missing in games like Witcher 3 and HZD (except at night). Environment sky lighting is ON point! Notice it on the rocks.

gcCj5FR.jpg

Best snow-shading I've seen yet. What's unique about this snow shader is the baked in SSS + environment sky color. The lighting looks like it propagates properly through the snow. They used a shit-ton of parallax occlusion mapping for the added detail on the terrain and rocks.

J3JpYbY.jpg

Parallax Occlusion mapping galore! It's all over the tops of the water like snowballs. Excellent affect!

5lniWa1.jpg

Beautiful emissive lighting. Great rough glass shader. Excellent SSR on the tin cans.. Floor decorated with water puddles with reflection, etc..

This is the kind of stuff I should expect with next-gen consoles as a standard w/out ray-tracing. To me, if next-gen consoles can run a game like this at 4k/60FPS with all of this crazy detail, then it's a win-win.

GHG

It's on my steam wishlist, but I though this game wasn't actually all that good and was quite buggy? That's what the reviews around release said anyway.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's on my steam wishlist, but I though this game wasn't actually all that good and was quite buggy? That's what the reviews around release said anyway.

I've never had any bugs so far and I'm about 50% done with the game.

Kacho

I came across this the other day and it reminded me that I never got around to Sniper Ghost Warrior 3. Definitely want to play both and I was surprised to see how positive the Contracts reviews were. Seems like this is the best game this studio has done yet.

VFXVeteran

Banned
How are you liking the gameplay? How’s the customization? Saw mixed reviews, but looked interesting.

I love the gameplay. It's slow and strategic. You will get your ass handed to you if you think you're going to go in guns' blazing. I love the melee kills with the knife. They have a lot of bullet time with headshots and melee. There's just so many ways to tackle a problem or kill an enemy. And the levels are super big! I easily spend about 3hrs per level. It has a skill tree also so you can buy upgraded weapons as well as enhance your skills. Great game!

Top Bottom