• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...Can anyone find a New 3DS XL right now? It seems sold out everywhere

antonz

It's like no one on GAF has ever worked in a manufacturing environment or understands the challenges with a new product launch. This stuff is not as easy as a lot of posters seem to think it is.

This is totally on Nintendo. Their retarded region locking automatically reduces potential supply because each system has to be coded for each region so cant say well shit we are overstocked in japan send half to America.

On top of that while its a new region launch they have had the system out in others for awhile now. There is no reason to not have been building supply for the future launch.

Nintendo has been in the business over 30 years. They have launched numerous products. No more excuses.

Are these chronic shortages a case of retailers not having faith in Nintendo products, or is it a case of NoA being miserly/consistently underestimating demand?

Alex

I got one at best buy after work. No real issues.

Black one is sharp looking, it's like grey black, patterned and shiny. Images made it look real bland

lol, this isn't Nintendo artificially creating demand through a supply shortage. It's Nintendo in money-saving mode ensuring that they get maximum profit on the costs they spend on manufacturing the things. They can potentially over-ship and lose money, or make an amount that's guaranteed to sell and not lose any money on manufacturing costs.

Yes, it sucks that they're in a position in which they have to do this, and I don't necessarily think it's the right decision, but to say that they're creating a shortage on purpose is laughable.

Went to Target in LA, they had plenty of the red one, none of the black one, and of course zero of the majora mask one(A few people slept outside so they got first dibs)..so I got the red one super happy!

massoluk

Banned
Heh, just picked mine at Nintendo Store, surprised that even their flagship store only have units for the preorder. Some disappointed people waited in line and got nuthin

Rocky

Banned
Heh, just picked mine at Nintendo Store, surprised that even their flagship store only have units for the preorder. Some disappointed people waited in line and got nuthin

There was line this morning when they opened. They had plenty for non preorders then. I easily got a black one, and I only had to wait about 15 minutes.

B.K.

I just got back from trying to get one and couldn't find one. I was surprised I couldn't find it. I'm in the middle of nowhere. I was sure that Wal-Mart would have a few, at least. Wal-Mart didn't have any and didn't even have the price tag for in on the shelf and Gamestop only got enough to cover preorders. Does anyone online have them in stock? Might as well buy online.

krae_man

Everywhere had tons here. I grabbed mine mid afternoon. No Zelda's or Monster Hunter's but ordinary red and black? No problem.

Salamando

Hit up 2 targets, 2 best buys, 2 gamestops (and I called 2 others), and a walmart...nothing. Why does Nintendo make it so hard for me to give them my money?

When a Nintendo product is readily available, it's a problem because there's no hype and if people wanted it it would be sold out.

But when a Nintendo product is sold out the company is incompetent and the item should have never come out to begin with.

This! Sometimes I ask myself what gamers think how many consoles is Nintendo able to produce before a new console launch, it must be infinite because otherwise I don't understand most of the posts here in this thread.

jtar86

I live in a small town in Alabama where nothing sells out. I literally walked in to K Mart the day the ps4 came out and bought one. That said, every store within 100 miles of me is sold out of the New 3ds.

Cloudy

Banned
The trick with Best Buy is to wake up early and do an in-store pickup on launch day. I checked this morning and my store had them in stock

The Lamp

I pre-ordered my New 3DS XL the day they were made available and Best Buy still hasn't shipped mine.

In 2015, when it comes to Nintendo products in North America, pre-ordering means shit.

Issues like these are because you preordered online from Best Buy...this is not the first time they pull this shit or cancel peoples orders.

With BB you gotta preorder in person or don't bother.

SystemUser

are people actually going to scalp the normal ones? lol

Best Buy still has the black N3DS in stock so I hope not. Also I assume that regional department stores like Meijer or Fred Meyers probably aren't sold out. It's funny the places that either don't have or don't push preorders are usually likely to not sell out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-black/2306021.p?id=1219535294085&skuId=2306021

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11204046

blado

The Best Buy I went to had like 6-7 N3DSXL Blacks in stock, and 1 really beat up red one in stock. The game-stop I went to before that only ordered enough to cover preorders, and was completely sold out.

EDIT: Looks like they're sold out now though, Best Buy website says that there are none left in stock for the store I picked mine up at.

Got a black one at Walmart this morning, it was the last one they had but there were like 3 red ones left.

And when I went back later the evening there was still one red one left. Idk about them being hard to find or anything.

This is totally on Nintendo. Their retarded region locking automatically reduces potential supply because each system has to be coded for each region so cant say well shit we are overstocked in japan send half to America.

On top of that while its a new region launch they have had the system out in others for awhile now. There is no reason to not have been building supply for the future launch.

Nintendo has been in the business over 30 years. They have launched numerous products. No more excuses.

I'm guessing it's not likely since GameStop was sold out of pre-orders but is it possible retailers are being more conservative with Nintendo products after the Wii U's sat in shelves?

I know in my area there are retailers that seem unwilling to restock even popular games like MK, Smash, NSMB, etc...

It seems GameStop would have ordered more if they could after pre-orders sold out but after getting initial orders from retailers maybe they didn't produce as many?

Just seems weird, but there were rumors that there may be shortages at launch so I'm sure it's likely Nintendo but just playing Devils Advocate...

So, what can this sold-out case be compared to, at least, Nintendo-wise? The Amiibo rarities?

Or is it OG Wii bad?

I remember back at the Wii U launch, even though I had one preordered, there was virtually no line for it at GS, and had no prob picking it up.

Can't wait til the 4DS or whatever hits. Gonna be fun, lol.

Producer

Went to Target in LA, they had plenty of the red one, none of the black one, and of course zero of the majora mask one(A few people slept outside so they got first dibs)..so I got the red one super happy!

hmm...im in LA too. might have to hit up a Target..did you call beforehand?

Rocky

Banned
I'm guessing it's not likely since GameStop was sold out of pre-orders but is it possible retailers are being more conservative with Nintendo products after the Wii U's sat in shelves?

I know in my area there are retailers that seem unwilling to restock even popular games like MK, Smash, NSMB, etc...

It seems GameStop would have ordered more if they could after pre-orders sold out but after getting initial orders from retailers maybe they didn't produce as many?

Just seems weird, but there were rumors that there may be shortages at launch so I'm sure it's likely Nintendo but just playing Devils Advocate...

Funny, it seems like those shortage rumors happen with every Nintendo console and handheld since the NES.

ngower

I got one when Target opened. They had 17 in stock. Went to Best Buy later to get a micro SD card and they had a display in the front of the store with a handful of systems still available. No clue about Gamestop, though.

It seems that they're scarce, but not impossible to find.

Synesthesia

Neo Member
Every Gamestop near my house got enough units to cover their pre-orders, according to the clerks this was a case across the board at every store in the area. Both Target and Walmarts nearby recieved only 6 units, 3 each of black and red. Same for the Best Buy.

I got one from Best Buy an hour after they opened, they had 1 black and 2 reds left when I showed up.

Considering GS was only getting enough to cover their preorders, and the other big ticket stores were all seeing single digit inventories, I don't think this was an issue of "we just don't want to order many"

Velcro Fly

I want one but if I can't get one for a little while it's ok.

Just as long as I can get my hands on one by April for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Rocky

Banned
Mostly true...

Only seemed to be true for the Wii and now the N3DS. Nintendo themselves used to spread the rumors in Nintendo Power. I remember reading articles in there before the launches of SNES, N64 and Gamecube, they were using that limited and shortage rumors to scare their fans even then.

But all 3 were in plentiful supply when they launched. I was able to walked into a store late in the day and they had plenty of stock and no lines.

Only seemed to be true for the Wii and now the N3DS. Nintendo themselves used to spread the rumors in Nintendo Power. I remember reading articles in there before the launches of SNES, N64 and Gamecube, they were using that limited and shortage rumors to scare their fans even then.

But all 3 were in plentiful supply when they launched. I was able to walked into a store late in the day and they had plenty of stock and no lines.

He didn't say all consoles had shortages but that these rumors happen with each console. Whether or not they end up being correct isn't really what he was saying, or what I was mostly agreeing with ;)

I want one but if I can't get one for a little while it's ok.

Just as long as I can get my hands on one by April for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

I'm hoping they give us a LE Xenoblade Chronicles n3DS :) Of course I don't really need another one so I won't be disappointed if we don't get one :)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just another event in a chain of events that continues to lessen my enthusiasm for Nintendo.

Can't be that hard to supply even a moderately decent amount so that stores get more than 2 or 3. It's not like Nintendo is in such hot demand shits flying off the shelf daily.

Oh I know maybe if they would remove the stupid region locking bullshit they would have 1 pool of supply instead of having to divide it into 3 separate regions.

lol that passive aggressive.

Munkyspace

Checked all three Gamestops in my area earlier today, all gave the same line.

"We only got enough to fill preorders."

:(

Edit: wordages.

imjust1n

Banned
well hopfully they refill by the end of this month because I really want to grab one dam nintendo they really need to find a new manufacture to make more of these systems its seems they only make enough for hard core people and then stop.

Top Bottom