• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perhaps VR can finally take off if VR headset makers bundle appealing software for free with each headset sold?

VR makers should bundle high-quality APPEALING software with their headsets?

• Yes

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
If you want to play those games in vr, you're going to need a headset.

Yes, and people buy headsets, for the games I listed, the ones you did aren't exactly appealing to the demographics we need to get to buy headsets.

Among Us VR, a recent release, once again proves that the games we want are disconnected from the games the market wants.

Crayon

Yes, and people buy headsets, for the games I listed, the ones you did aren't exactly appealing to the demographics we need to get to buy headsets.

Among Us VR, a recent release, once again proves that the games we want are disconnected from the games the market wants.

Okay put it this way: is a psvr2 bundle with among us more appealing to han one with gt7? Because I could be wrong but I think that gt7 one would get a lot more attention.

Okay put it this way: is a psvr2 bundle with among us more appealing to han one with gt7? Because I could be wrong but I think that gt7 one would get a lot more attention.

For the demographics I'm mentioning? Among US. For people on thos board? GT7.

Problem is, we won't see more growth and real investment for more GT7's in output, unless we can get more people who like Among Us to buy VR headsets.

Crayon

For the demographics I'm mentioning? Among US. For people on thos board? GT7.

Problem is, we won't see more growth and real investment for more GT7's in output, unless we can get more people who like Among Us to buy VR headsets.

Okay let's call it fortnite and that'll make us both right!

Okay let's call it Fortnite and that'll make us both right!

You're confusing your Quest 2 demographics for your Battle Royale demographics.

The games that have been trending and selling well in VR are similar to the games that are on Android TV's, mobile, and PC casual. These are the ones that don't buy COD or PUBG, mostly.

Now, could Fortnite on VR circumvent those demographics, and bring in the COD and APEX Legends bros? That's a tough one.

The Third Person Battle Royale games kind of lose a bit in VR, and people with toasters can run those games, including Fortnite. There's not much investment required, some of these types of games are free 2 play as well, giving a lot of accessibility.

In VR, there's no guarantee that a Fortnite or Apex in that style will still have the same appeal, and the headset changed from just looking at a screen. The cost of entry will also be much higher than the toaster they already have, which could be upgraded slightly for less than the price of nearly all players in the VR market, with higher access to high quality games and a larger number of games in general that are also easy to access. With a normal controller.

I think the companies behind those games know this and other risk factors, which may be why they have been very slow to do anything in VR. Most likely before we see a Fortnite, we are going to need to see more Among Us, Beat Sabers, and Super hots first, and likely more headsets selling over 3 million than just ONE who manages to sell more than 1 (and is at about 18 million now) before they jump in.

The other option is of course, to pay these devs and support a VR version to see if it works. But if someone where to have done so it would have been announced/out by now. All those devs also will likely have high asking prices to reduce or remove any risk if such a VR game should fail.

Crayon

You're confusing your Quest 2 demographics for your Battle Royale demographics.

The games that have been trending and selling well in VR are similar to the games that are on Android TV's, mobile, and PC casual. These are the ones that don't buy COD or PUBG, mostly.

Now, could Fortnite on VR circumvent those demographics, and bring in the COD and APEX Legends bros? That's a tough one.

The Third Person Battle Royale games kind of lose a bit in VR, and people with toasters can run those games, including Fortnite. There's not much investment required, some of these types of games are free 2 play as well, giving a lot of accessibility.

In VR, there's no guarantee that a Fortnite or Apex in that style will still have the same appeal, and the headset changed from just looking at a screen. The cost of entry will also be much higher than the toaster they already have, which could be upgraded slightly for less than the price of nearly all players in the VR market, with higher access to high quality games and a larger number of games in general that are also easy to access. With a normal controller.

I think the companies behind those games know this and other risk factors, which may be why they have been very slow to do anything in VR. Most likely before we see a Fortnite, we are going to need to see more Among Us, Beat Sabers, and Super hots first, and likely more headsets selling over 3 million than just ONE who manages to sell more than 1 (and is at about 18 million now) before they jump in.

The other option is of course, to pay these devs and support a VR version to see if it works. But if someone where to have done so it would have been announced/out by now. All those devs also will likely have high asking prices to reduce or remove any risk if such a VR game should fail.

How exactly did you decide to name yourself after a comedian?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Every headset should come with beat saber, job Simulator as standard....packed in.

Whatever it costs just make that happen.

Indeed.

As simple is it to "say" if they convert and throw Fortnite or PubG in VR it will sell millions of headsets, that would require ignoring that the gaming environment is completely different, changes more pricey, less convenient, and you have a headset to put on with it's own adjustment and problems. The big companies making those, or Apex, or even Activision which has been notably absent in VR with major titles, don't want to take that risk for something that may not work.

Instead, it would be easier to look at why Gorilla Tag VR, Super Hot, Beat Saber, and the recent Among Us did so well, and sell to those deographics to grow VR, so the risk is rediuce,d and THEN we get the Fornites, and PUBG's.

Every headset should come with beat saber, job Simulator as standard....packed in.

Whatever it costs just make that happen.

It may happen with the Quest 3 and Ventura.

One thing to note about Quest is that of all their acquisitions, not one of that has released a new game yet. We are talking between 2-4 year old acquisitions. Now I'm not saying these are going to be AAA (unless Zucker surprises us) but it could be they are planning to have several new internal releases for the first time since the acquisitions, and may plan on bundling one or some of them.

I have doubts that Quest 3 is going to be sold as is in a box for $450-500 or whatever they price it at.

Rudius

I just want more regular games that can be played in VR, like Gran Turismo 7 and Resident Evil 8. Those two in PSVR2 are among the best gaming experiences I had in my life.

Top Bottom