• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...Can anyone find a New 3DS XL right now? It seems sold out everywhere

My work got a ton in yesterday, we sold most but there's still some kicking around. Stores all around us have them in stock. No supply issues around here (I'm in Ontario, Canada for reference).

lt519

After checking all the retail stores in my area online, like 30 of them, with all out of stock I called my local video game store down the block. They had 4 of each color in.

Syracuse, NY Voltage Gmaes if anyone is in the area. Picked up a black one (also offering $90 trade in)

TI82

Banned
Pretty big assumption there. Especially since Nintendo is the only one with the data to back up their decisions.

1) Did OG 3DS sales lag behind XL?
2) 2DS sold better than OG 3DS?
3) Retailers probably did not want three models on shelves?
4) Nintendo/Retailers didn't want to deal with the faceplates in the US?

1. The XL was an actual upgrade to the og though, as it didn't scratch its own screens, better battery, more comfortable, etc

2. 2ds was also an upgrade in those ways

3. Well they currently have 4 models, so...

4. Then sell the faceplates online through Nintendo only?

None in the Chicago Best Buys. I doubt the Gamestops will have them and it's too cold to travel!

Thanks Nintendo.

Yeah, when I called Best Buy yesterday they said all BBs in the Chicago area are out. And Gamestops are probably still filling preorders as more N3DSs come in. Gonna try my nearby Target again tomorrow morning.

Drpunch

Neo Member
I'm glad I per-ordered on Amazon. Have to wait until next Friday, but I don't have a lot of time to play next week really so it works out.

Vena

None in the Chicago Best Buys. I doubt the Gamestops will have them and it's too cold to travel!

Thanks Nintendo.

Yeah, when I called Best Buy yesterday they said all BBs in the Chicago area are out. And Gamestops are probably still filling preorders as more N3DSs come in. Gonna try my nearby Target again tomorrow morning.

I can save you the trouble and let you know Chicagoland (BB, Target, Walmart, and GameStop) is stripped clean as I went looking on Friday and earlier today. :p

Lots of traffic in their gaming sections, lol.

Acrylic7

Saw one at BB buy I really needed a mini Fridge.
I was also kinda bummed at not finding a Zelda one and since we didn't getting the smaller ones I can skip it for now.

I did spend a minute at the demo station though and lol at the Thinkpad eraser thing. I looked good though.

entremet

Nintendo has too many 3DS models right now.

OG 3DS
3DS XL -I'm sure the won't replenish stock once this is sold through, but they're still in stores.
2DS
New 3DS XL

It's madness!

No wonder they're been a bit more conservative with retailers.

//ARCANUM

OG 3DS
3DS XL -I'm sure the won't replenish stock once this is sold through, but they're still in stores.
2DS
New 3DS XL

It's madness!

i'm pretty sure they're not going to be re-stocking OG 3DS or 3DS XL. Moving forward they plan to just sell 2DS and New 3DS XL in the US.

OG 3DS
2DS
New 3DS XL

It's madness!

Not to forget the places still selling used DS & DSi products.

zsidane

I know it's quite popular to blame Nintendo, but I continue to believe that it's the retailers that do not want to be in a situation where they have bigger than expected stocks of Nintendo products. Maybe because they have less leverage in reducing games prices like they can with other games...

Anyway, I really hope that some competent journalist will investigate this because we've had had too many occurrences in the past where Nintendo products failed to be widely available in store shelves. Maybe it's Nintendo's logistics/supply chain that's at fault after all!

Sinnick

I don't plan on getting a N3DS soon, but I decided to visit a nearby Target & see if it was in stock. They had 2 systems (red) left in the case. The size of the packaging surprised me especially when looking at the regular XL next to it. Nintendo really doesn't mess around when they go into cost cutting mode.

I then headed to the GameStop a few stores away to check their stock only to find the place had moved or gone out of business.

Rosur

OG 3DS
2DS
New 3DS XL

It's madness!

Yea. I'm also really surprised they didn't refresh the 2DS as well (New 2DS) maybe that needs a bit more work and will be out for the fall/ winter sales.

I reckon the original 3ds/ 3ds xl will be phased out and not replenished stock wise.

I know it's quite popular to blame Nintendo, but I continue to believe that it's the retailers that do not want to be in a situation where they have bigger than expected stocks of Nintendo products. Maybe because they have less leverage in reducing games prices like they can with other games...

Anyway, I really hope that some competent journalist will investigate this because we've had had too many occurrences in the past where Nintendo products failed to be widely available in store shelves. Maybe it's Nintendo's logistics/supply chain that's at fault after all!

Nope Nintendo said you get this many consoles guaranteed at launch. Pre-order away.

And then sold out.

TDLink

I'm in the DFW metroplex, went to several stores yesterday afternoon. Mostly Targets, Walmarts, and Best Buys. Same story everywhere "We sold out this morning when the store opened/there was a line". From what I gather most stores got 8 units or less (colours combined).

Bonus: At a Fry's I checked when I asked if they had the New 3DS the employee wondered if I wanted the "standard" one or the "additional" one. All I could say is the "New" one.

Good job on both the redundant name and the terrible launch supply Nintendo.

This article is talking about ebooks though. How is it related to Nintendo?

Because like ebooks and movies, video games are also a form of entertainment ran by companies Amazon has to negotiate with. It shows that Amazon is willing to ignore big name products if they can't follow the pricing strategies they want.

How would anyone know the demand is only for a few thousand units unless they actually solicit them? Did a market research firm or focus group tell them that? Are these the same market research firms and focus groups that have them undersupplying literally every product they release (not named Super Smash Bros. Wii U)? Why was it worth it for the REST of the world then?

How many people do you know that buy things off the Nintendo website?

Local Gamestop only got enough to cover preorders. I asked why they didn't get a few extra to buffer with in case they broke in shipping or had defects and the customers had to return them...Was met with a half stupid open mouth for like a minute then I left...

Walmart was completely out of them too, no new 3DSes, no games, nothing. Gonna have to order them online and maybe get it the tuesday before my birthday.

Grisby

Thought about picking one up off the fly today. I haven't even touched my 3DS in ages but for some reason I really wanted to try RE Revelations on a bigger handheld screen.

All sold out. Kind of crazy too if they didn't send that many, I mean, not like the 3DS has been flopping over here in the states right? Ah, maybe I'll take it as a sign to wait until the new console lust has passed.

K.Sabot

Pre-ordered Black N3DS from best buy a month ago and it hasn't shipped yet, and its also in a state where I can't cancel it.

Best Buy is the worst, I covet the day they kick the bucket.

Pre-ordered Black N3DS from best buy a month ago and it hasn't shipped yet, and its also in a state where I can't cancel it.

Best Buy is the worst, I covet the day they kick the bucket.

Found out the issue after talking to 5 different people...and also a true explanation of why many Majora's were cancelled. With the Majora's masks...Nintendo had promised them XX amount of consoles, and then came back with a significantly lower amount. As for the 3DS limbo of preparing for shipment everyone is in...one of their distribution/shipping places that all of them are coming from has experienced an unexpected "delay"...not sure if its due to the port strikes or what...

He did say everyone will receive theirs by the 20th at the very absolute latest...but everything should be shipped no later than Monday...so many should receive it sooner...

Would be nice if they actually emailed people to explain things or let people cancel or give any update at all without having to call and talk to 5 people before someone finally tracked down the info...

Got off work yesterday at 3pm and drove to my local Target and they said they had sold out of all XL's by 11am that morning. They said that their Majora's Mask XL's were sold immediately as the store opened. The guys who bought them lined up at 4am.

I ended up going next door to the Toys R Us and they only had two Black models left. Grabbed one of them for my wife since my Majora's Mask one is coming in by FedEx on Wednesday.

Fushin

Why the hell am I on hold for 5 plus minutes for the electronics section of a Toys R Us?

Because the person who takes the electronics phone calls is usually the only person selling and cashiering at Toys R Us. I've worked there before and sometimes it's not possible to get to the phone in a reasonable amount of time.

Found the last n3ds (red) at a best buy in Phoenix. Best Buy was hiding them in customer service.

most of the people I know went looking and everyone is sold out.

K.Sabot

Found out the issue after talking to 5 different people...and also a true explanation of why many Majora's were cancelled. With the Majora's masks...Nintendo had promised them XX amount of consoles, and then came back with a significantly lower amount. As for the 3DS limbo of preparing for shipment everyone is in...one of their distribution/shipping places that all of them are coming from has experienced an unexpected "delay"...not sure if its due to the port strikes or what...

He did say everyone will receive theirs by the 20th at the very absolute latest...but everything should be shipped no later than Monday...so many should receive it sooner...

Would be nice if they actually emailed people to explain things or let people cancel or give any update at all without having to call and talk to 5 people before someone finally tracked down the info...

The worst part is that I can't even cancel it now since the order went into preparation phase 2 days before it came out. What could they be doing over there? Preparing to not give me a N3DS when they find out there are none?

Firecrest

A few hours ago, I had luck at one of the Toys R Us stores around here. They had 3 black and 3 red. All the Best Buys and Targets were sold out. Guess nobody thought to try TRU.

The worst part is that I can't even cancel it now since the order went into preparation phase 2 days before it came out. What could they be doing over there? Preparing to not give me a N3DS when they find out there are none?

Sounds like the have them...but inexplicably the whole warehouse has a "shipping delay"...he said it wasn't an "inventory" issue...still don't understand how hard it is to actually tell the customer what is going on and/or give them the option to cancel...

2 black and 2 red out within the case at West Covina, CA TRU 2 hours ago. No new amiibo other than 2 Bowser's.

EDIT: oops, forgot I also saw about 3 Toon Link amiibo as well.

Top Bottom