• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, how is the Saturn version of Resident Evil compared to the PlayStation one?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Really worse.
re58.jpg

cvxfreak

The graphics are noticably low res, although the backgrounds look a bit better. Load times are also horrendously long, and the controls are weaker.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think a person should experience how it truly started, it's kind of fun seeing how cheesy (esp the voice acting) and how much of a game it was. Though definitely get REmake to see how far it has come (and wet your pants). Both are cheap so why not?

On a side note, the Saturn conversion I believe was done by NexTech, who did Ranger X and Crusader of Centy, both aesome Genesis games.

They also would end up doing Code Vernoica for the DC, so they ain't all that bad. But yeah, the Saturn version of the first is pretty lacking.

hobbitx

The pc version looks wonderful.........................if you have a card that supports 3dfx! The default software mode looks horrible, I really wanted to play RE on my pc, but the graphics are just too blotchy and crazy looking to forgive if your card is d3d only. I've been trying to find a good glider that works with this game with no luck. If you do have a card that supports 3dfx or don't mind the software mode, it's pretty much worth it though. The pc version is pretty much uncut, in another thread someone mentioned it has stuff that even the Directors cut didn't even have.

jarrod

Banned
FortNinety said:
On a side note, the Saturn conversion I believe was done by NexTech, who did Ranger X and Crusader of Centy, both aesome Genesis games.

They also would end up doing Code Vernoica for the DC, so they ain't all that bad. But yeah, the Saturn version of the first is pretty lacking.
Nextech also made the RE-ish Deep Fear for Saturn iirc. It looked a lot better than the hacked RE port also.

XS+

Banned
FortNinety said:
Code Veronica was lacking in a lot of ways as well (graphics most especially). Guess RE games aren't their calling.

And Ranger X was just OK.

XS+ said:
Code Veronica was lacking in a lot of ways as well (graphics most especially). Guess RE games aren't their calling.

And Ranger X was just OK.

Are you insane? CV was a great RE game! Very good graphics too. All real time 3D, remember? Compare it to all real time RE games like RE4 for GC, and you'll realise it's quite nice for DC circa 2000.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Nextech also made the RE-ish Deep Fear for Saturn iirc. <<<

??? I thought that was AM7. (Overworks)

XS+

Banned
Compared to Shenmue (another 3D adventure game on DC) and the next gen RE games (yeah GC is superior to DC and all blah blah), CV ended up looking pretty weak. Poor textures and models everywhere. An ace developer (like Capcom themselves? LOL) would have made CV look far more impressive on DC, and Nextech ain't a ace developer IMO.

As for the CV game itself, the story went to crap from the second half onward (after the helicopter crash).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>The pc version looks wonderful.........................if you have a card that supports 3dfx! <<<

I find that very difficult to believe. The PC, DC, and GC versions of RE2 and 3 all have the same shitty 320X240, low bit-depth backgrounds as on PSone. Why would RE be any different?

jarrod

Banned
TAJ said:
>>>Nextech also made the RE-ish Deep Fear for Saturn iirc. <<<

??? I thought that was AM7. (Overworks)
Well, co-developed anyway. Nextech was also working Type X: Spiral Nightmare for DC but it was canceled.

XS+ said:
Compared to Shenmue (another 3D adventure game on DC) and the next gen RE games (yeah GC is superior to DC and all blah blah), CV ended up looking pretty weak. Poor textures and models everywhere. An ace developer (like Capcom themselves? LOL) would have made CV look far more impressive on DC, and Nextech ain't a ace developer IMO.

You are being a bit unfair, no? Shenmue was developed by the best dev team at Sega with the most access to the best dev tools for DC for over 3 years (started since the Saturn days) with the most budget. CV was still being negotiated for when DC was announced in 1998 (Sega pres at the time said that they were working hard to get RE for DC in an interview), and probably only had about 18 months of development OUTSIDE of Sega at the most.

Also, there are things CV does better than Shenmue, like the facial animations. I remember being in total awe of the in game engine facial animations (like Claire when she first hears Alexia/Alfred's father through the vents). Compared to CV's SM's facial animation was a bit puppet like.

And as for GC - DC comparasin, let's not even go there.

cvxfreak

CODE: Veronica wasn't even developed on actual DC hardware I think - I believe it was developed on middleware. But that might've been something else, like the PS2 game.

XS+

Banned
I guess it isn't fair that you can count on one hand the number of devs that produced impressive 3D on DC. All I'm saying is I was really unimpressed with CV back in 2000, and left me wondering what could have been if Capcom themselves didn't treat the project like an illegitimate bastard (RECV was more of a sequel to RE2 than Nemesis was, yet it was given the 'side story'-like subtitle instead of a chapter number) and dev'd the game in-house.

The lower-poly NPCs in Shenmue had poor face expressions, but Ryo and the other main characters had amazing and subtle facial animations that trumped whatever I saw in CV.
And as for GC - DC comparasin, let's not even go there.
LOL, I wasn't trying to.

XS+ said:
I guess it isn't fair that you can count on one hand the number of devs that produced impressive 3D on DC. All I'm saying is I was really unimpressed with CV back in 2000, and left me wondering what could have been if Capcom themselves didn't treat the project like an illegitimate bastard (RECV was more of a sequel to RE2 than Nemesis was, yet it was given the 'side story'-like subtitle instead of a chapter number) and dev'd the game in-house.

The lower-poly NPCs in Shenmue had poor face expressions, but Ryo and the other main characters had amazing and subtle facial animations that trumped whatever I saw in CV.

LOL, I wasn't trying to.

I think we should make a distintion between facial animation and facial expression. What Shenmue did was facial expression. What CV did was facial animation.

In SM, even the hero characters didn't have a dynamic changes (i.e. animation) in facial expressions. All they had was a permanently mapped subtle expression and puppet like eyes and mouth movements for dialog and blinking.

CV's hero characters (granted only in cut scenes) had facial animation that was truely dynamic and emotional. Much closer to like those found in later PS2 games like Jak and Daxter.

XS+

Banned
I have no idea what you're talking about, I saw Ryo smile and scowl and look sad and look stupid. I didn't notice that range of animation in CV. I don't own CV anymore so I can't double-check, but I can tell you with all confidence that Ryo's face is very articulate.

Maybe there's some technical angle to CV's models that I'm not qualified to argue with, but looking at the end product, no, I wasn't all too impressed.

XS+ said:
I have no idea what you're talking about, I saw Ryo smile and scowl and look sad and look stupid. I didn't notice that range of animation in CV. I don't own CV anymore so I can't double-check, but I can tell you with all confidence that Ryo's face is very articulate.

Maybe there's some technical angle to CV's models that I'm not qualified to argue with, but looking at the end product, no, I wasn't all too impressed.

I think your memory's been tainted over time. I still have CV, DC SM, and XB SM2, so I can tell you that you are way off.

Most SM's characters have their expressions stuck in one state. Ones that switch from one emotion to another, like Izumi or whatever her name was, didn't transition well from one expression to another. It was more or less switching from one geomentry set to another.

CV characters (especially Claire) had very smooth and dynamic transition of emotional expressions. That really made an impression on me from the get go.

XS+

Banned
Shogmaster said:
I think your memory's been tainted over time. I still have CV, DC SM, and XB SM2, so I can tell you that you are way off.

Most SM's characters have their expressions stuck in one state. Ones that switch from one emotion to another, like Izumi or whatever her name was, didn't transition well from one expression to another. It was more or less switching from one geomentry set to another.

CV characters (especially Claire) had very smooth and dynamic transition of emotional expressions. That really made an impression on me from the get go.
Please don't try to tell me my feelings on the topic are "way off," thanks. I haven't played CV on DC since 2000, but I played CVX back in April, and besides marginal touch-ups from the DC game, it looks about as average as it did then. Don't know what else to tell you.

XS+ said:
Please don't try to tell me my feelings on the topic are "way off," thanks. I haven't played CV on DC since 2000, but I played CVX back in April, and besides marginal touch-ups from the DC game, it looks about as average as it did then. Don't know what else to tell you.

What's wrong with telling you you're off on something? Why come to a message board if you can't take something like that?

XS+

Banned
Well if it makes you feel any better, I think, based upon your impressions pf Shenmue and CV, your reaction and judgement is misguided at best, and I'd even wager to guess that your eyes are a few rods and cones shy of a normal human being's.

I'm willing to agree to disagree on this subject. How about you?

XS+ said:
Well if it makes you feel any better, I think, based upon your impressions pf Shenmue and CV, your reaction and judgement is misguided at best, and I'd even wager to guess that your eyes are a few rods and cones shy of a normal human being's.

Chicken..... BAWK BAWK! :p

segasonic

Code Veronica was graphically impressive upon release

and comparing it to Shenmue, the best looking game EVER at the time, is kind of unfair...

hobbitx

I find that very difficult to believe. The PC, DC, and GC versions of RE2 and 3 all have the same shitty 320X240, low bit-depth backgrounds as on PSone. Why would RE be any different?

Well welcome to the wonderful world of personal opinion eh? I've seen pics of RE running on a 3dfx card and I think they looked really nice, I'm not trying to say they are leaps ahead of the PS1 or anything I don't even know why you're assuming I made the comparison.

cvxfreak

XS+ said:

You shouldn't go arrogantly thinking your standards of "good graphics" apply to everyone; no view of a game's graphics in a certain timeframe is "misguided." Your childish attempt to try to insult someone's physical body features only serves to make you look dumb in the end. That's what I "think", anyway. Whether you were provoked or not, your comments above were just mean.

XS+

Banned
I WAS KIDDING! Me and Shog go way back (on the internet anyway) dude. Remind me to steer clear from you when I talk tongue-in-cheek.

DCX

DCX
XS+ said:

As for the CV game itself, the story went to crap from the second half onward (after the helicopter crash).
I wonder where were you when CV was the pinnicle of graphics back then. It's funny how easy we forget how great things used to be, but yet we all still drool over Mario 64 :p

DCX

signet

RE:CV graphically unimpressive? Wow I would have never believed someone could say that. Yeah maybe the PS2 or GC version (games was years old by the time those ports were made) but the initial DC release. I don't think I am alone when I say CV was one of the best looking DC games ever made.

I remember back in my importing days picking up the DC version of RE:2 just to get the CV demo that was packed in with it. We played that demo to death, even made a video of it for a local game store. The graphics were outstanding, character models were great, the lip syncing with the facial animations were most of the time dead on, hell the textures for the most part were perfection.

Someone who could find RE:CV to be anything but graphically amazing, I am sorry to say must be one jaded little gamer.

XS+

Banned
Yeah well believe it or not, I vivdly recall years ago one person at GA agreeing with me about CV's graphics. SO THERE :S
I wonder where were you when CV was the pinnicle of graphics back then.
I was scratching my head, wondering what the heck everyone was raving about. Seriously, the game had a nice creepy atmosphere but I wasn't 'wowed' by the visuals by any stretch of the imagination. Just my opinion, that's apparently in the vast minority.

signet

Here is somthing from Some Guy from A Long Time Ago...

RE:CV 9.5 review

Graphically, Resident Evil: Code Veronica is absolutely phenomenal. Capcom has used the power of the Dreamcast just as well as Namco did for Soul Calibur. The game runs in true 3D for the first time in the series, meaning that what used to be rendered backgrounds are now textured polygons, which look incredible. As you make your way from area to area, you'll see objects in the foreground, which give the game a unique 3D look and add a true sense of depth to the environments. You'll come into a room that is old and falling apart, and sometimes you will just have to stop and marvel at the level of detail - the grime on the wall, boxes and various objects piled in the corner. The game simply makes the ordinary look extraordinary. The new 3D surroundings let the camera be much more dynamic than before. The camera doesn't switch from fixed positions as much as in previous Resident Evil games; instead the camera follows, pans, and even zooms in and out as you make your way through the 3D settings, much as the camera followed you in Dino Crisis. Visual effects abound throughout the game. Jumping into pools of waist-high water sends dispersing waves across the surface; real-time lighting from candles casts shadows of Claire that realistically dance on the walls as she walks down a dark hallway; and all the characters look fantastic and extremely detailed. While the animation of the characters and zombies is typical of Resident Evil games, it is a lot smoother and more convincing than ever before. The character models used during the game-engine cinemas are even more detailed and articulated than those used during play. They look so good, in fact, that you can see the expressions of the characters as they speak and interact with others. The animations for these expressions are so realistic that the sensation of fear is tangible on their faces. This, needless to say, makes the situations that Claire and the other characters face seem more real and more dangerous than in previous Resident Evil games.

XS+

Banned
A internet column isn't going to change my mind about blurry textures (what did the design on Claire's jacket say exactly? And the zombies were a blurred, pixelly mess. The visuals basically fell apart during the cutscenes/Battle Mode when the camera zoomed in), hands that did not animate (is this such an impossible graphic achievement, or just plain lazyness? Shenmue and DoA2 for example did it without a hitch) and jerky, stilted, unconvincing animation (especially during closeups/cutscenes).

Or are you asking me to 'assimilate' and blindly adopt the general consensus? Thanks no thanks

I'll get you a new puppy. We'll name her Veronica. :p

Man, all those pics signet posted makes me want to play through those two games again.

Top Bottom