• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, how is the Saturn version of Resident Evil compared to the PlayStation one?

XS+

Banned
Signet, want to know what I never did once in Shenmue that I had no choice but to do in CV? Wonder what the hell I was looking at. Blurry patches of smeared pixels were what the CV devs called Claire's jacket, a zombies dirty tattered clothes, plant tentacles, trees, etc. Shenmue didn't have photoreal resolution for the textures but they all managed to look legible to me, unlike CV's.

And where I come from, hands and fingers move. It didn't do it in CV but other decent-looking games in the DC library (Soul Calibur being one notable exception) had no problem doing so. Even the outsourced pre-1st-gen VF3 had animated fingers iirc. The faces in CV were decent but everything below the face was strangely low-poly. Whether to chalk that up to DC's inferiority or bad modeling, I'm not sure.

Seriously, can you blame me for dismissing CV's looks as flawed, at best? I know you saw the same thing as I did, what I don't understand is how it was interpreted differently.

Just my opinion, once again.

I never really was that impressed by how RECV looked either. But I think Shenmue ended up making alot of DC games look worse than they actually did. You expected a certain level of detail after seeing that and very few delivered. RECV just came out looking rather plain once it was released. Nothing all that impressive about it (other than the intro FMV) nothing really terrible about it.

XS+

Banned
I should add that CV didn't look 'bad' either. Just above-average and nothing beyond that. The framerate in CV was solid tho, a claim most hi-profile DC games can't make.
But I think Shenmue ended up making alot of DC games look worse than they actually did.
MDK2 and DoA2 (two games I picked up when I bought CV) made CV look less-than impressive to me. Shenmue 1 and 2 drove the point home though.

Yah both of those looked great too. Also adding the Sonic Adventures to the bunch, where I think even if you disliked you could admit that they're amazing looking games. With RE being such a big name you'd expect Capcom to put alot more work into it graphically to make it stand up against the competition. Instead almost every big name game on the DC looked better than it.

XS+

Banned
Except Capcom didn't develop CV, it was mostly a Sega/Nextech project (the awesome opening/closing videos were clearly Capcom though), which makes me wonder how much better the game would have turned out if it was dev'd by Capcom in-house.

goodcow

XS+ said:
I should add that CV didn't look 'bad' either. Just above-average and nothing beyond that. The framerate in CV was solid tho, a claim most hi-profile DC games can't make.

MDK2 and DoA2 (two games I picked up when I bought CV) made CV look less-than impressive to me. Shenmue 1 and 2 drove the point home though.

MDK2 didn't look very good at all, and had frame rate issues, while DoA2 is a one on one fighter. Of course more polygons can be allocated to such a game.

XS+

Banned
Textures in MDK2 were great (as Kurt you could zoom in from 'miles' away or from close up and images still looked sharp), and it had some of the best examples of excellent lighting, environments and particles the DC had to offer. You can count on one hand how many games in the DC library used particle FX (and have like 3 or 4 fingers to spare), which is awfully impressive by itself.

The framerate was very unstable though, and the character models were segmented and low-poly.

I'm not comparing DoA2 or MDK2 with CV, that was just a random anecdote.

Yah it's real time but it still uses preset camera angles.

re_screen014.jpg

re_screen013.jpg

reoutbreak_screen017.jpg

It looks pretty decent considering it's online.

speaking of the original RE, do any of you guys know where i can download the song that plays when you beat the game? it was a cheesy 80's style hair metal rock style song, but i liked it!

Is RE: Outbreak worth playing through the single player mode? It's one of those games I really wanna try, but I just can't be bothered to even rent it for some reason.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
segasonic said:
It's shitty (and offline here in Europe)

The catch is that a Resident Evil game without a real solid storyline becomes nothing more than wandering around from area to area, avoid/shooting zombies, and it gets old real quick. Oh, and without a PS2 HD, the load times are insanely long.

cvxfreak

XS+ said:
A internet column isn't going to change my mind about blurry textures (what did the design on Claire's jacket say exactly? And the zombies were a blurred, pixelly mess. The visuals basically fell apart during the cutscenes/Battle Mode when the camera zoomed in), hands that did not animate (is this such an impossible graphic achievement, or just plain lazyness? Shenmue and DoA2 for example did it without a hitch) and jerky, stilted, unconvincing animation (especially during closeups/cutscenes).

Or are you asking me to 'assimilate' and blindly adopt the general consensus? Thanks no thanks

It said Let Me Live. Looked absolutely clear to me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
PanopticBlue said:
Is RE: Outbreak worth playing through the single player mode? It's one of those games I really wanna try, but I just can't be bothered to even rent it for some reason.
Here, let me convince you to try it....

-It's exactly the same offline as online, you just play with bots instead of other humans.
-Use teamwork to solve puzzles and help each other out.
-You can use push-where-you-want-to-go controls
-Several different scenarios taking place durring the virus outbreak in Racoon City
-Multiple characters each with their own occupations and special abilities allowing you to see each scenario from different perspectives.
-Hand-to-hand combat moves, though some characters are better than others.
-Creatively use items and interact with environments. Example: Use a nail gun as a weapon or to board up doorways.
-Unlock truckloads of stuff. Images, movies, music tracks, new characters, costumes, items, etc. with points earned by playing through scenarios. More points and bonuses for faster times.

Overall it's a great game if you are a real RE fan, as it's mostly focused on gameplay and expands it a good amount. Plus it's just cool to see Racoon City falling into pieces beign overun by zombies. But if you only really played RE games for the cool story then forget about it. I am persoally waiting for the price to drop before I buy it, I hardly ever get anything at $50.

Top Bottom