• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally played Control

MiguelItUp

So, it's nice to know I wasn't the only one that shared similar opinions on the game, haha.

I loved how shooting felt, and I loved the physics and how they react to your actions.

But other than that, I couldn't really get into it whatsoever. I, too, think I put about 4ish hours into it (if not more) and I just put it down with no desire to go back to it. Something about the game just felt incredibly dull, I figured it just wasn't for me. Kind of the same feeling I had with Alan Wake.

Certinty

It's a good game but it's so overrated in my eyes. The story was dull and the gameplay was throw things, shoot, throw things, shoot, there wasn't much more to the combat at all.

Huge downgrade from Quantum Break in my eyes, I hated the TV episodes in that but the story, gameplay, powers, variety and locations were all so much better in that.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Same, I didn't get the hype whatsoever after a good 5 hours. Maybe it gets great straight afterwards but I was pretty damn bored.

GymWolf

What game with a progression system gave to you all the powers and ability from the get go?!

I enjoyed the game even if the plot is too strange for the sake of it.

Last edited:
I didn't liked it either. I only beat it cuz I enabled the "1 shot kill" and invisibility cheats. That made it a bit bearable. I remember nothing about the story or characters. Completely forgettable game in my opinion.

ParaSeoul

What game with a progression system gave to you all the powers and ability from the get go?!
Not all the abilities but the movement ones should have been given early on. I've seen a lot of games lock moves that really should have just been given to you from the start behind a skill tree just for the feeling of "progression".

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I loved it! Played through it on PS4 and 5.

The boring environments alone scared me away.
50923554851_5b7f204e16_b.jpg

50942592966_c6b54c2115_b.jpg

50913819417_a9ae34ec18_b.jpg

50914676568_2392101286_b.jpg

50922866818_b1d63e9c45_b.jpg

50922866708_3266c27727_b.jpg

50915358596_ce407cfbd6_b.jpg

50913817887_36ef8330db_b.jpg

50962724397_3923458fe7_b.jpg

50937536983_9cf4946cbb_b.jpg

50908647533_aa03ffa662_b.jpg

TAKE CONTROLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That alone is worth a playthrough!

Catphish

The respawning mobs after clearing an area and the constant whispering from the floaty cunts were enough for me. Made it about 5 hours or so.

Wildebeest

The shooting felt very good, and I liked exploring the facility. Found Alan Wake very boring so if you are one of those who are salty about how Control isn't Alan Wake then yeah, people like me are the reason why you can't have nice things, and at night I turn into a shadow monster and laugh at you while you sleep. Nothing personal though. I can take or leave the "SCP" stuff. A lot of throwing random stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. This, uhm, tea strainer, makes all tea taste like lemons. It's because, uh, it is possessed by an elder god who doesn't know what tea tastes like. If you drink the tea, you will also forget what tea tastes like. Vary Spookeee.

Alebrije

The problem with te game are the endless bland boring office floors plus the slow learning curve...yep there are other areas that you never see because you stop playing before reach them.

ParaSeoul

Started it again,looks amazing on OLED. I'm at the part where you have to find Marshall and I realized why I dropped it,it justs gets very obtuse at this point. Like I don't like handholding but some direction would be nice.

RPS37

This damn game has been sitting in my quick resume tabs for MONTHS.
PLEASE someone convince me to finish.

Started it again,looks amazing on OLED. I'm at the part where you have to find Marshall and I realized why I dropped it,it justs gets very obtuse at this point. Like I don't like handholding but some direction would be nice.
Just get used to the map dude, once you sort of lockdown going to new places after each major section/thing and using new abilities to get there it's cake to keep progress ticking along. It's not a massive campaign but it's well worth playing it through. At worse jump into a walkthrough on IGN to just get to the next major section and then go on your own until you need a hint again. The save points help as well, the enemies will respawn in areas so don't get stuck just wasting your time doing the same sections over and over.

AndrewRyan

I'm a few hours in and liking the overall setting and style. Enjoy the combat but it's getting a little stale so definitely ready for some more variety. Like the destructive environments and the ray-tracing effects are really cool. Definitely an unusual use of lighting the way rooms look so dark as you approach but illuminate as you enter.

bitbydeath

I completed it but can’t recommend it.
I don’t know why I kept playing but… yea.
Everything just feels repetitive even with the new powers, likely because the story and setting aren’t that interesting.

RGB'D

One of the best games of last gen. I guess if it doesn't grab you, it doesn't grab you. For me the gameplay, setting, and story were up there with Prey. The ending I had hoped to have a little more closure, but as this game is the key to the remedy universe, it makes sense that it wouldn't be all tidy. This game is like a mystery that you unravel and everything clicks into place. Also read the signs on the walls for directions and don't be afraid to google if stuck. The map was the worst part of the game.

Shubh_C63

Control quickly became one of my favourite games. The art direction and visual just arrests your attention and gameplay is solid solid. Characters talks like people and not NPCs, and the mystery behind this place/building was serviceable.

Expeditions burned me out though, didn't even played any expansions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Awesome game, but yeah, it does get A LOT more enjoyable once you get the flying power. It just opens everything up.

I personally loved the backstory and the whole vibe of the FBC, I love SCP weirdness. I did all the side missions and read all the reports and stuff. I think I enjoyed that stuff more than the actual gameplay (not that I though that was bad either).

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I wanted to play it from the moment I saw the gameplay and the story seemed interesting but I'm now 4 hours in and I can't really seem to get into it. Shootings alright,story isn't really gripping. I hate when games lock your movement abilities away at the start. and having all your powers on some cooldown doesn't feel right.I've heard the flying ability really changes things up but I'm not sure I even want to keep playing.
Weird ive just started my first playthrough today and im totally gripped, the combat reminds me more of quantum break with a story from alan wake except the story just starts off bat shit crazy, the story definitely seems gripping to me, at the start i was like wtf this makes no sense but seems to make alot more going forward, kinda liie strangers things in some way from what i understand

dcx4610

Loved it. One of the best games I've played in recent years. The shooting/gameplay took a little while to get used to but the story was interesting and I loved the gameplay. Gameplay wise, it's very similar to the original Max Payne games.

fazzk7

Neo Member
I love physics in games and was excited to play Conteol when it first came out. But the really boring story and environments made me drop it quickly.
And even the physics aspect lost its novelty for me so quickly because it seems the animations for all the iterations are just the same eg blowing up a desk of papers or pulling concrete from the ground up. It seems the same animation just playing again and I didn’t feel like it had a fun physics sandbox at all.

RCU005

I wanted to play it from the moment I saw the gameplay and the story seemed interesting but I'm now 4 hours in and I can't really seem to get into it. Shootings alright,story isn't really gripping. I hate when games lock your movement abilities away at the start. and having all your powers on some cooldown doesn't feel right.I've heard the flying ability really changes things up but I'm not sure I even want to keep playing.
I played it without knowing too much about it. I had zero expectation because I didn't even know what it was about. When I started playing it, I was more interested by the story than the gameplay, but as I kept playing, the gameplay became so much fun that I even platinum the game. The story didn't go the way I thought it would, so I didn't like it as much, but the game in general is so much fun.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I found it boring as well, but I'm not into these types of games in general. Max Payne still may be the only thing I liked from Remedy.

Last edited:
I haven't finished it either, but I picked up the next gen version a while ago and was able to progress further than I did on the ps4 version. Ps5 made it more enjoyable and I started unlocking powers. Thats when it sort of clicked for me. I dont spend too much time in encounters with the powers I unlocked, so I'm able to focus on the story more and explore. Just stick with it.

DonF

same here. I tried it once, played like 4 hours and i dropped it. Then when the ps5 patch was released, I started a new save (didnt have much of a choice, btw) and yeah, looks cool and all but...I just couldnt get into it. Its incredibly unremarkable to me. Shooting is ok ish....encounter are boring and the loop....im just tired of games with micro upgrades.

A.Romero

I played it I think earlier this year and enjoyed it a lot. I couldn't stand Alan Wake for some reason but this did resonate with me, at least the topic at first but eventually I ended up enjoying everything.

The PC version is kind of bugged out or it seemed like that to me, textures wouldn't load when you enter a new room unless you force them by going into the menus and change something. Also, I'm not usually into reading every document that is found but as a SCP fan this was really entertaining.

Respawning enemies can be kind of annoying but it's less of an issue once you get to certain power levels.

I'd give it an 8. I'll play the sequel if it ever comes out.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Game is incredible and gives you a very unnerving feeling at times. I platinumed it on PS5 and it did drag towards the end but I very much enjoyed it. Remedy are a very talented studio and am looking forward to seeing what they produce next.

Valonquar

Control was one of the last PS+ freebie games I really enjoyed, at least out of ones I hadn't already purchased before they gave them away.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think Control is insane. I think it is more than a game. I think it's an amazing game.

.. That's why i can't progress beyond the first objective, it's intimidatingly deep and awesome, i dunno i feel like i can't give it the attention it requires.. arr

My experience with Deathloop.

Top Bottom