• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just bored-quit Bayonetta 3, the first game in a while I've done that with

SCB3

I bought this recently on sale alongside Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and I have to say in spite of being a fan of the first 2 games, this one is just a bland boring experience that was feeling like a waste of my time, and I have played so really tedious games before

As regards to B3, my issues really were:

• Its so easy, even on the hardest difficulty, I felt like nothing could even hit me
  • the story is close to non existent even after 5-6 hours, something about Multi-verse Witches being killed? Thats all I got out of it
  • Graphically it looks great and runs decently for a fast action switch game, but the resolution is really bad

At the end of the day, its just not fun to play at all and by the end of Chapter 5, I was more than done, I'm just hoping the next game in my list, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, is a bit more entertaining

Last edited:

Kev Kev

It happens. I've done the same with Witcher 3 multiple times. I just can't get into that game 🤷‍♂️. You just gotta move on until you find a game that does it for you. Maybe come back to Bayonetta 3 a year or two from now and see if you feel differently. I plan to try Witcher 3 again some day. Everyone was so crazy about that game, there's got to be something I'm missing.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Vine Ok GIF

It happens. I've done the same with Witcher 3 multiple times. I just can't get into that game 🤷‍♂️. You just gotta move on until you find a game that does it for you. Maybe come back to Bayonetta 3 a year or two from now and see if you feel differently. I plan to try Witcher 3 again some day. Everyone was so crazy about that game, there's got to be something I'm missing.
Sure it might eventually click for you. I loved W3 but I can't bring myself to play it again. Doesn't help the latest version is a fucking mess. If I could download the original version I might give it a shot again.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The story makes a whole lot more sense to me now after playing Bayonetta Origins.

But I have no idea how anyone can be bored with Bayonetta 3 from a gameplay standpoint. The Demon Slave ability is insanely good. I think this landed on my #2 spot for the year, at 9.5/10. You're drowning in so many new weapons you can't possibly use them all first playthrough. It's meant to replayed.

SCB3

The story makes a whole lot more sense to me now after playing Bayonetta Origins.

But I have no idea how anyone can be bored with Bayonetta 3 from a gameplay standpoint. The Demon Slave ability is insanely good. I think this landed on my #2 spot for the year, at 9.5/10. You're drowning in so many new weapons you can't possibly use them all first playthrough. It's meant to replayed.
The gameplay part was fine, easy but fine that was its one redeeming factor imo

Bayonetta, and Platinum games by extension, are among the most overrated properties in gaming. Nier automata was pretty weak too gameplay wise.

Nier Automata imo has the issue where "oh you're supposed to replay it and get all the endings" Well actually how about make a more coherent game and show why I'd want to even do that, I liked it but my god it does not need to be as obtuse as it is

Sure it might eventually click for you. I loved W3 but I can't bring myself to play it again. Doesn't help the latest version is a fucking mess. If I could download the original version I might give it a shot again.
Offtopic but...why? I just downloaded it and was about to start for the first time ever.

hyperbertha

The gameplay part was fine, easy but fine that was its one redeeming factor imo

Nier Automata imo has the issue where "oh you're supposed to replay it and get all the endings" Well actually how about make a more coherent game and show why I'd want to even do that, I liked it but my god it does not need to be as obtuse as it is
Agreed. Not only do you have to play through the whole game again with an even shallower character, it's difficulty was non existent. Just stock up on health and you are nigh invincible.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Agreed. Not only do you have to play through the whole game again with an even shallower character, it's difficulty was non existent. Just stock up on health and you are nigh invincible.
Or don't and try to do better with a high ranking. It's published by Nintendo so there are some options if you get stuck. But if you spam health potions and take a ton of damage and then call it boring that's kinda on you.

hyperbertha

Or don't and try to do better with a high ranking. It's published by Nintendo so there are some options if you get stuck. But if you spam health potions and take a ton of damage and then call it boring that's kinda on you.
This is stupid logic. If the game offers the ability to stock up on health potions, I will. I'm not going to handicap myself just to make it more challenging. Imagine if you could take 100 health potions in dark souls. Besides, the combat system is so shallow it's not that fun to play anyway.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is stupid logic. If the game offers the ability to stock up on health potions, I will. I'm not going to handicap myself just to make it more challenging. Imagine if you could take 100 health potions in dark souls. Besides, the combat system is so shallow it's not that fun to play anyway.
Thats why there is a ranking system so you can try to get better and challenge yourself if you want. The gameplay is objectively not shallow so you can drop that shit and just say you didn't like it. Its got tons of weapons, combos, Demon Slave options. Multiple characters. You can't even use it all in 1 playthrough.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah, I was dissapointed in Bayo 3 for the same two first reasons you listed, while I loved the first two games.

The Demon Slave system was a nice idea, but it was horribly unbalanced, to the point you basically steam rolled most stuff.

hyperbertha

Thats why there is a ranking system so you can try to get better and challenge yourself if you want. The gameplay is objectively not shallow so you can drop that shit and just say you didn't like it. Its got tons of weapons, combos, Demon Slave options. Multiple characters. You can't even use it all in 1 playthrough.
Optional gameplay options do nothing to force you to play better. Having a million combos doesnt provide depth. This game does not challenge your quick thinking, reflexes or adaptability the same way games like sekiro do. Even dmc runs circles around it.

ungalo

Weird opinion, saying even on hardest difficulty nothing can touch you (might be true when you control Bayonetta not Viola, but even then, i feel it's very exaggerated) but you think the game looks great.

Last edited:

ungalo

Optional gameplay options do nothing to force you to play better. Having a million combos doesnt provide depth. This game does not challenge your quick thinking, reflexes or adaptability the same way games like sekiro do. Even dmc runs circles around it.
DMC functions exactly in the same way Bayonetta does. I agree it's more difficult to finish with more difficulty levels but still the whole interest is the replayability based on unlocking new combos and having perfect rankings. It's not just to finish the game using every cheap trick you can, the game doesn't require you to do that.

Rankings are explicit challenges provided by the game. If you need to use those combos in order to have the highest ranking it means the game is deep.

Sekiro no matter how difficult it is is nothing deep, it's very onedimensional and uncreative (edit : not as a game, i'm talking about how the gameplay works)

Last edited:

SCB3

Weird opinion, saying even on hardest difficulty nothing can touch you (might be true when you control Bayonetta not Viola, but even then, i feel it's very exaggerated) but you think the game looks great.
Well obviously there is some exaggeration, but the Witch time is very powerful on perfect dodges and allows you to hit a lot of damage on enemies and the style of the game is great, it runs fine but blurry

Impotaku

Hmm played on hardest difficulty & it was too easy. Ok OP post a screenshot of the trophy roundup screen where it shows what difficulty you played on each level so we can see all those platinums as if it’s so easy as you say you should have nothing but platinum figures for every stage.

Fbh

I enjoyed 3 though it's probably my least favorite one of the franchise.
The demon slave mechanic and the massive amount of weapons was awesome, but the story gets in the way, it focuses a bit too much on mini-boss type encounters for my taste, the boss design is fairly weak and the visuals/performance are truly horrible.

As for your complain on difficulty, Bayonetta has always been a score based game. The challenge isn't just to beat enemies but doing so while performing lengthy combos and not taking damage.
I understand not liking the scoring mechanic but ignoring one of the main mechanics of the game and then saying it doesn't do anything to force you to play better seems unfair.

SCB3

I enjoyed 3 though it's probably my least favorite one of the franchise.
The demon slave mechanic and the massive amount of weapons was awesome, but the story gets in the way, it focuses a bit too much on mini-boss type encounters for my taste, the boss design is fairly weak and the visuals/performance are truly horrible.

As for your complain on difficulty, Bayonetta has always been a score based game. The challenge isn't just to beat enemies but doing so while performing lengthy combos and not taking damage.
I understand not liking the scoring mechanic but ignoring one of the main mechanics of the game and then saying it doesn't do anything to force you to play better seems unfair.
My counter to that is Devil May Cry, a similar game that does Score based and ranked combat that can also be difficult at the same time, like I said, the gameplay is not bad, just easier than I expected compared to the first 2 games

Punished Miku

Gold Member
My counter to that is Devil May Cry, a similar game that does Score based and ranked combat that can also be difficult at the same time, like I said, the gameplay is not bad, just easier than I expected compared to the first 2 games
I think sometimes people put too much emphasis on difficulty. Souls culture I guess. A lot of action games used to just be fun. Being able to summon giant creatures at will instantly and have the camera and controls all work is pretty insane, and likely is going to be far more advanced than what we get from FFXVI summons. Being able to change into various creatures half way or summon them entirely is a crazy accomplishment on Switch.

I definitely didn't get all platinums, and I only played on Normal and missed a bunch of the optional challenges. Planning on replaying it again now that I beat Origins.

SCB3

I think sometimes people put too much emphasis on difficulty. Souls culture I guess. A lot of action games used to just be fun. Being able to summon giant creatures at will instantly and have the camera and controls all work is pretty insane, and likely is going to be far more advanced than what we get from FFXVI summons. Being able to change into various creatures half way or summon them entirely is a crazy accomplishment on Switch.

I definitely didn't get all platinums, and I only played on Normal and missed a bunch of the optional challenges. Planning on replaying it again now that I beat Origins.
Oh yea Visually and Art direction are really good here, like I said I have no issue with its design or art style at all, I really like it

I've tried several times to get into God of War, but just couldn't stick with it. Some games just don't gel with some people.

Kikorin

I think the opposite, Bayonetta 3 has been the most exciting game I played in a while. Usually in today games you have seen everything in like 3 hrs and then you do the same things over and over for 30 hrs, but Bayonetta 3 was a continuous surprise to me, also there was so much demons/weapons to get bored.

But sometimes games just don't click with you, even the praised ones. Happened me sometimes, sucks if you bought it full price.

I bought this recently on sale alongside Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and I have to say in spite of being a fan of the first 2 games, this one is just a bland boring experience that was feeling like a waste of my time, and I have played so really tedious games before

As regards to B3, my issues really were:

• Its so easy, even on the hardest difficulty, I felt like nothing could even hit me
  • the story is close to non existent even after 5-6 hours, something about Multi-verse Witches being killed? Thats all I got out of it
  • Graphically it looks great and runs decently for a fast action switch game, but the resolution is really bad

At the end of the day, its just not fun to play at all and by the end of Chapter 5, I was more than done.
As a huge fan of Bayo 1 and 2, this feels bad man. I dropped 3 for similar reasons. I plan to finish it, but I feel no motivation to return any time soon.

The Kaiju battle in one of the chapters is badass though.

Robb

Gold Member
I still haven’t got around to play it. Might wait until the “Switch 2” remaster.

I love Bayonetta 1 and 2, and my wife was nice enough to get me 3 for Christmas. Which is why I ended up feeling bad that I quit playing it.
Honestly the parts I disliked were:

-Too many non-combat/gimmick sections; more than either of the other two games. I’m fine with things breaking up the combat so it’s not mundane, but in this I feel the combat takes a back seat to chase/running sections/etc. too much. I want to experiment with the weapons.

-When you do get to experiment with weapons usually the best coarse of action is just using the Demon summons to wipe out anything. Also, since the demon summons are a big feature; most enemies end up being large damage sponges. Which isn’t very interesting.

-The Jeanne sections (also a distraction from the main gameplay), didn’t do anything for me and felt like a mediocre XBLA game.

The Shin Godzilla reference was cool, but that’s the most I got excited playing the game, which was yet again another mini game section.

Viola wasn’t necessarily a bad character to play as either, but yet another diversion from playing the main combat as Bayonetta in the game, so switching to her got annoying too.

Despite a similar game (DMC5) holding out on letting you play Dante, at least it had the decency to give you two other characters with lots to experiement with instead of random mini game fluff. That game did it right.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

In some sense videogames are experiences in a way music, movies, food, social company etc is. You really have to be in the mood for the experience at hand otherwise it doesn't resonate. It goes without saying that the above mentioned interpersonal interaction couldn't have it's shortcomings but again; depending on your mood and such it's eventual experience could vary much so on a moment to moment basis.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Nope not missing anything…shit sucks!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked it, but not as much as 1 or 2. 3 felt like it had bland areas and environments in comparison. The levels just felt really uninspired.

I bored-quit Xenoblade Chronicles 3, GoW Ragnarok, Witcher 3 (after multiple attempts), Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 4 and Skyrim...
But I never bored-quit Bayonetta 3 .
Because I have never played it.

Last edited:
I sort of did this with Breath of the Wild. It's not a bad game and I like the fact that it does not hold your hand but it can be a bit too vague and I just kind of gave up. I have no way of getting to the fourth shrine because I don't know how to keep myself warm from the mountains that are cold. I even looked up solutions on Google and I still can't find the fish in the pond that I'm supposed to be able to get as part of an ingredient.

I know this game gets a ton of praise but between the vagueness and the constant breaking of weaponry, I just sort of gave up. I think one day I'll get back into it but it's a bit too much for me right now. I think I would enjoy a more traditional Zelda game at this point.

Last edited:
Most of the fun comes from learning how to be stylish with each of the weapons and demons for me. But I can see why you don't like it, the game is absurdly easy since demon button mashing breaks the game.

Ulysses 31

I liked it, but not as much as 1 or 2. 3 felt like it had bland areas and environments in comparison. The levels just felt really uninspired.
For me it was more the enemy faction being not as interesting as angels and demons and their color palates making them look too samey.

It also went a bit overboard with the non melee combat sections but at least that gave us this :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Fbh

Fair point, though I do think Bayonetta focuses more on score than DMC as the game basically pauses to give you a score after every single battle while DMC only does so at the end of the chapter.
Personally I liked both games but had more fun with Bayonetta 3. In some ways they go in completely different directions in that Bayo3 goes a bit overboard with the setpiece moments and gimmick sections but DMCV plays it too straight for my taste (it's basically one combat arena after the next connected by boring, ugly and very linear levels)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

this is the ending of 1.. 3 is shit.

ending of 2 3 is shit

what the fuck is this

Last edited:

Chukhopops

this is the ending of 1.. 3 is shit.

ending of 2 3 is shit

what the fuck is this

Bayo 3 ending has another part and song after that, at least compare what’s comparable.

I personally really liked B3 ending, you can really feel they wanted to give her a proper send-off.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Bayo 3 ending has another part and song after that, at least compare what’s comparable.

I personally really liked B3 ending, you can really feel they wanted to give her a proper send-off.
Please share sepia video 😍

ShadowLag

At the end of the day, its just not fun to play at all and by the end of Chapter 5, I was more than done

100% same situation with me. I was devastatingly disappointed. Bayo 1 to me is still the best action game ever created, and Bayo 2 while not as good, is still in the top tier. Played 1 & 2 back to back leading up to release, then I was constantly pissed off and bored every minute of 3 until I just stopped playing and deleted it around chapter 5/6.

TBH, I don't even remember where I stopped (I cared that little), but it was right after getting the stupid flying train demon power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom