• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just bored-quit Bayonetta 3, the first game in a while I've done that with

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Hmmm, if it doesn't click for you, then yeah you can call it quit for sure. I am happy that the game did click for me. My only gripes are the enemy design and Viola's mechanics but they patched Viola so....my gripe is the enemy design. Everything else is top tier for an action game IMO. Bayo 1 through 3 are up there with Metal Gear Rising, Devil May Cry 3, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition and Devil May Cry 5.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I also didn't really feel this one. Combat was all over the place, challenges were kind of uninspired. I honestly had a lot more fun with Wanted: Dead which ticked a lot of the boxes for me.

Griffon

I think Kamiya lost his touch.
He only likes stupid gimmicks and isn't interested in providing a well balanced and fun core gameplay experience.

SkylineRKR

Bayonetta, and Platinum games by extension, are among the most overrated properties in gaming. Nier automata was pretty weak too gameplay wise.

I tend to agree. Bayonetta 1 was a classic, but perhaps in a vacuum when Capcom became laughing stock. Going back to DMC4, I even liked that game much more. Bayonetta has the same repetitive level design by the way, and the further you go, the more serious the story tries to take itself with endless dialogues. Today Capcom makes games that are infinitely better.

Platinum games generally look very ugly and low budget. NieR Automata is an excellent game, but I didn't give much fucks about its gameplay as well. And it doesn't help that I hated the gameplay of 9S, which is like one third of the game. I think that for a single playthrough, I prefer the OG Nier.

Platinum's best game is Vanquish.

hyperbertha

I tend to agree. Bayonetta 1 was a classic, but perhaps in a vacuum when Capcom became laughing stock. Going back to DMC4, I even liked that game much more. Bayonetta has the same repetitive level design by the way, and the further you go, the more serious the story tries to take itself with endless dialogues. Today Capcom makes games that are infinitely better.

Platinum games generally look very ugly and low budget. NieR Automata is an excellent game, but I didn't give much fucks about its gameplay as well. And it doesn't help that I hated the gameplay of 9S, which is like one third of the game. I think that for a single playthrough, I prefer the OG Nier.

Platinum's best game is Vanquish.
One of bayonetta's biggest problems is visual design. The enemies all tend to look samey with very similar colour schemes. And they tend to blend in to the environments making it very difficult to make out exactly wtf is going on.
The only reason I could sit through nier was music. The story took forever to pick up and even then didn't land well. I can't even remember who the final boss was.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was saying this game was trash on day of release. After 4 missions or so it just felt like garbage. Called Bayonetta 3 more like... You play as Bayonetta for three missions in the fucking game. Viola is a terrible character, story is garbage and the Kaijuu summoning is an incredibly shallow mechanic lacking any depth for a developer of this pedigree.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think Kamiya lost his touch.
He only likes stupid gimmicks and isn't interested in providing a well balanced and fun core gameplay experience.
I think some fans of action games are way too comfortable with just regurgitation of the same things. Reminds me of the FGC focusing on extreme minutiae of difficulty balancing but missing the forest for the trees.

Kamiya has always been more interested in constantly trying new things. He didn't do any of the DMC sequels (but was integral to creating the whole style of combat in the 1st one). He didn't do Bayonetta 2. He was probably only interested in Bayonetta 3 primarily to realize his vision of the giant summons he couldn't accomplish with Scalebound; and starting a new character. He pushes for creativity and innovation first, and not just technical iteration. There's less appreciation for the fact that he's doing something new than there should be.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Stopped playing it because of the extreme performance issues - I don’t care how good your combat system is - when there’s a regular 20-30 FPS variation in your gameplay, it’s going to feel like utter dogshit. Hopefully (although exceedingly unlikely) this game will be BC on the new Nintendo hardware with a solid locked 60FPS update.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I was just about to use this game as my pallet cleanser before xenoblade 3 as I've just binged a few games and fancied something 10 to 12 hours action based fun.

Kinda gutted...

Soltype

I liked it, felt closer to a sequel for the first game than 2 was. Everything 2 does better than 3 isn't to by a wide enough margin to look past how uninteresting it is. You can tell suda had a hand in 1&3 for better or for worse.

Last edited:

SCB3

I was just about to use this game as my pallet cleanser before xenoblade 3 as I've just binged a few games and fancied something 10 to 12 hours action based fun.

Kinda gutted...
Interestingly enough it was between B3 and XB3 as to what I wanted to play next

KingT731

For me it was more the enemy faction being not as interesting as angels and demons and their color palates making them look too samey.

It also went a bit overboard with the non melee combat sections but at least that gave us this :messenger_winking_tongue:

AT least the framerate isn't as bad as Drakengard 3 lol...that ending was HELL lol.

Majukun

Opposite of you, i stop playing a lot of games out of boredom but bayo 3 is one of the few that i played till completion.

Didn't replayed to death like the first one though, so something is definitely missing

DW74

Had the same reaction to Persona 5. I loved 3 and 4. But for some reason, I could not get through 5. I put like 50 or so hours into it, then dropped it for a good number of months. Came back to it on PS5, and didn't even get half as far.

Don't understand. It seems like it should be right up my alley. But I think the gaming industry over the last 5 or so years is souring my love of the hobby. Shrugs.

radewagon

I'm struggling to finish it. It's just not very good. The demon slave thing is poorly implemented. It creates this odd disconnect between the player and the character. The camera is never where it should be because it tries to keep both Bayo and the Demon in frame. This prevents the game from really selling the excitement of playing as a giant monster. Like there's this constant reminder that I'm some dancing lady and not the magma spider. Additionally, the demons are fairly useless when you consider that I can do pretty insane damage just using Bayo herself. It's like the game does everything it can to nerf the power fantasy of controlling a pantheon of kaijus.

The game is constantly trying to present dull gameplay in the most exciting way possible as though it'll trick me into thinking it isn't dull.

I'll finish the game... (sunk cost fallacy), but man is it ever a slog.

Xane

Ye, happens.

I tried multiple times to get into Skyrim but just.. couldn't get anywhere near the 10h mark. MMO-like side-quest design bores the hell out of me + NPCs and towns feeling like they're run by janky robots.

Mr Branding

Thanks for saving me 60€, I guess.
Already had my doubts after seeing the main gimmick this time, and that Viola character design is atrocious to me. Easy pass!

Zeypher

Happens, some games just do not click with the player. For me it was cyberpunk, just something about it made me unable to play it while I adored CDPR"s previous games.

Top Bottom