• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just started playing kill switch.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
My friend just gave me the gave the game a couple of days ago because he didnt want it anymore and I started playing it last night. So far Im on the oil rig and the countdown has started for the place to blow up and up to now the game has been good.

I wasnt really expecting much from this game, thats the reason I thoight my frienbd gave it to me for free, but Ive been surprised. At first the game looked like another rubbish action game, but after playing it for a couple of hours, it feels nothing like that. The gameplay is fantastic. It feels like Im playing time crisis from a 3rd person view. Its a unique style of gameplay which is really fun. The levels have been designed really well so that there are plenty of places to hide behind and its also good to see that the enemies are smart enough to use the environment.

Another thing I like about the game is that there is not such a big focus on storyline, so there are very little cutscenes or long conversations. Im skipping over the cutscenes because the story doesn't seem to be that interesting

I know that the game is very short, but I didn't really expect much. So far Im impressed and Im happy if the gameplay stays the same, just in different surroundings because its a nice change.

Ive not seen much talking about the game on GAF though, did anyone else enjoy this game or not?

Keio

For a Finer World
I really liked the Time Crisis -esque mechanic, but otherwise the game was pretty average. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it: I would really hope that the idea of using cover in an action shooter would get used more.

I liked it quite a bit. Some of the battles get really intense with enemies coming from all angles, throwing well placed grenades at you, and all you have is a small pillar for cover. Another thing I liked is that enemies don't stop shooting. They take turns shooting the same corner, so if you're too kamakazee, you might get stuck behind a pillar for a minute at a time waiting for a moment when they either make a move toward your position or the gunfire pauses. This situation is kinda easy to get out of on normal difficulty, but playing it on hard will make you cry.

Only problem is that you can't melee while moving; your character stops moving to do the animation. Some situations you get in would be easily handled if you could run, melee the guy and then dive into a corner or behind a wall for cover.

Since Gears of War is going to feature some of the same gameplay mechanics, maybe it'll take it to the next level and fix the problems w/ Kill.Switch.

Best reason to like Kill.Switch: unrelenting action. Some levels get so chaotic that you'll be in a constant fire fight as you move across the level from cover to cover, taking out dozens of mercenaries while getting to your objective. Being in a continuous firefight for 15 minutes straight is priceless.

The story isn't that bad, actually. Mission objectives are pretty arbitrary, but the overall story is pretty interesting.

Overall I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. Great game for action junkies.

I've had this game for awhile and just started playing it. I like the duck 'n cover, non-stop action.

The only problem so far is getting hit by unseen enemies. Or maybe I'm not scoping out the area well enough.

Flo_Evans

its a decent game, the problem with the PS2 (if you want to call it a problem) is that there are alot of good games that get lost in all the super blockbusters.

Ah, I've been playing this game recently also. One of my biggest gripes is the fact that stealth isn't much of a factor. I move crouched for most of the mission, but despite that, people still "see" me, even with their backs turned (suddenly turn around and start gunning). There isn't really a feel for the "element of surprise", and although I realize this isn't a stealth game, I should at least be able to get the jump on someone.

Other than that, fun game. Too bad there's no co-op. :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i had a lot of fun with the game, and the time crisis refrence works very well.

JeffDowns said:
I loved kill.switch.... the ending left a lil more to be desired though, but very good game otherwise!

I enjoyed it, but it felt like such a one trick pony with the covered shooting mechanic. But it was fun while it lasted.

Santini

Glad some of you enjoyed the game.

Fun facts: kill.switch was developed in less than a year, with a team of 25 people (excluding external contractors) and the devs had to work within many, many limitations. For instance, all the in-game cinematics (i.e., not CG) were done via a last-minute camera-spline hack. Fun times for all. :)

And believe it or not, someone's already cloned the game--Special Forces: Nemesis Strike. Though I'm sure Gears of War will be much better.

Top Bottom