• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.....Samurai Western?

Tamanon

Banned
Any reviews of it out yet, or anyone play the Japanese version? Looks rather cool for an action game, trying to decide if I'm going to pick it up this week.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Tamanon said:
Any reviews of it out yet, or anyone play the Japanese version? Looks rather cool for an action game, trying to decide if I'm going to pick it up this week.

It's getting bad reviews in every magazine I've seen it in. Check metacritics.com
Very dissapointed.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
What I played at E3 was functional and there was a lot of customization (different stances that affect stats, and samurai Afros for example) but, I don't know if it's worth your full price dollars.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've played the Japanese version and it just seemed very average. Nothing really special about; the game seems to something like Way of The Samurai, just without the multiple storyline branches. Controls seems slow and clunky, and the camera sucked. I'd wait on the U.S. version to drop in price before I try it out; it's going to bomb so you probably won't have to wait too long.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
It wasn't too great when I played it at E3. I was sad because it seemed like a neat idea. Like that movie with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson.

demi

I'm on Stage 9 right now (maybe the last stage?), and this game is NOT worth buying.

A little about this game:

There are only like 4 environments I've encountered so far, along with the same enemies over and over.

Fighting is really simple too, just hack and slash hack and slash, while tapping R1/O to dodge faster to your enemies. Should you dodge bullets (not that hard just keep tapping), you'll go even faster up to your enemies. As you slash, you'll deflect bullets occasionally back to the enemies and damage them, allowing you to continue your chain of combo (I've gotten up to 100 before).

After each level, you are tallied points and EXP, based upon how you did (did you get knocked down? How long were your combos? etc), and you will gain levels. Upon reaching new levels, you are awarded new stances and accessories, which when equipped, decrease or increase your stats (HP/MP/POW/DEF).

As you fight in each level, enemies will drop coins. These coins, when collected, level up either your weapons or accessories. 10 silver coins level up your weapon, and gathering the golden coins will power up your accessories. From what I gather, anyway.

Also, enemies occasionally drop health in the form of chicken, which really doesn't matter as you should have no health problems at all.

You can also pick up stuff like boxes and use them as a shield, along with downed enemies (that aren't dead) and they will occasionally fire their gun forward. Once you're finished with these things, you can simply throw them towards the enemies.

My guy right now has an Afro, a Lasso, and a dual-bladed stance (you can't throw stuff), and I'm kicking mucho ass without a problem.

I haven't played Rising Zan, but I imagine it's pretty much similar gameplay as this game is.

But anyway, I've been playing this all day and I'm almost done. It's not worth buying.

But it is very much a simple pick up and play title, if you don't mind the repetitive gameplay.

Rent it for a day. Take it back, then get a better game. HA HA HA

demi factor

thank you

Any other questions feel free to fire my way la la la

Tamanon

Banned
Blah, too bad it's going to debut at $49....guess I'll give it a rental instead! Thanks for the impressions.

demi

I am here for you.

Also, as you beat up the various enemies, you'll fill up a meter that when full or whenever you want, you can enter a sort of "rage" mode at the touch of a button, allowing you to slice enemies up in one hit, along with dashing at a faster speed. It can be quite useful against the bosses.

Each stance has it's own special rage mode, with different features.

This is not a $50 game. Mayyyybe a $20 game, should you feel the urge for a quick action title.

demi

I'm on level 15 right now and this boss is whuppin' mah ass. I think it's the final level though.

.hacked

WotS = best game evar

WotSII = best game evar

Samurai Western = going to be best game evar

It is that simple.

If you don't like it you are a jaded ass who should stop gaming.

:D

.hacked

B0007XTNFS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

$39.99 and you know you want it!

demi

I still feel $40 is too much, wait until possibly $20...but it is Atlus, so you may have no choice.

I've never played those other games listed, so I can't compare to them really.

Oh, and the story is pretty dumb. Dumb de dumb dumb

.hacked

demi no offence but if you don't like this game you are empty inside.

Cowboys and Samurai dammit!

dead inside, too much crappy British sci-fi sitcoms...

demi

I didn't say I hated the game.

I said it's not worth it full price. Wait it out, but in your case... :$

Cowboys and Samurais cannot mask the repetitive hack n slash gameplay, though. I've slashed maybe 400 of the same skinned cowboys in the same 4 environments...

Every level starts out the same:

Cutscene opens, characters talk for a minute or two, then suddenly the character either a) walks off or b) looks ahead to see that a massive grouping of cowboys has appeared, who then pull their guns out, and the hero pulls out his sword.

Start level.

Slash slash slash roll roll roll slash slash slash

Run around a map, slash slash

Eventually you will trigger a cutscene, with another 2 minute interlude, which either a) ends the level or b) triggers a boss

For the boss, repeat. Slash slash slash, roll roll roll

Eventually, you move onto Stage 2 and repeat the whole thing over.

I'm sure you could compare this type of gameplay to other games, but chances are I haven't played them. Sorry.

Rent it.

.hacked

demi are there ninjas and Indians in the game, if they are we could have game of the year right here.

I won't have a copy till Wednesday, but these guys did the WotS games and even though they were flops I enjoyed the shit out of them.

I am going to go play Rising Zan to get ready :D

demi

There are neither, but there are these beings called the "Faceless" that appear, yet have NO relevance to the story whatsoever...

They're like drones, with creepy mechanical type voices to boot. They appear in like 2 levels, and that's that. Really.

.hacked

B000063RRN.01-AIGI2YLZJE0LN._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
B0001NBNHU.01-AIGI2YLZJE0LN._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Get these games, they will open your heart.

Dam I can't wait to get my copy of SW, haven't been this excited about a game since Halo 2 :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
You just make the heartbreak that much worse. WotS2 is not good. This game is getting mediocre to bad reviews. Only WotS was a worthy game. But what a game it was :(

atomsk

Party Pooper
atlus games dont price drop. well, hardly ever (i did pick up Choro-Q rather cheap, but it was pretty horrible)

being an atlus-whore, this is another must purchase. plus i loved WOTS 1 and 2, so thats just a bonus

Bebpo

Banned
Hey Demi, is the game 100% dubbed in English, or is it a mix of English and Japanese with subs?

The Japanese version was a mix with the main guy speaking in Japanese when narrating or speaking to a Japanese person, and then in Engrish when speaking to an American. It was utterly hilarious and 50% of why the game was enjoyable. I'd hope they kept the engrish (Japanese voice actor speaking english)?

demi

There are parts where he speaks what I assume to be japanese (when talking with Raddo (his brother)), but there are English subs, but he mostly speaks engrish the whole time.

So yes.

sah-moo-rai

Did you finish this game?

Raddo is kickin' mah ass. I've been going back to other levels and activating the challenges to get some more points to beef up my stats...

b_dawk

oh, i am disappointed at the poor reviews. i was really excited about this game for some reason. i don't mind straight hack and slash- sometimes my mind needs a break. but i'll definitely wait to rent this one now. thanks for the detailed comments!

Bebpo

Banned
demi said:
There are parts where he speaks what I assume to be japanese (when talking with Raddo (his brother)), but there are English subs, but he mostly speaks engrish the whole time.

So yes.

sah-moo-rai

Did you finish this game?

Nah, I just played it for an hour or so when it first came out. But yea, I agree with your impressions. It's a fun action game for a day or two but it works best when your not really concerned about the cost of the game (ie <$20 for most people).

Would've rather had the game be free roaming like WoTS1/2 in the Wild West but oh well :\

demi

JESUS CHRIST

This last boss (I FUCKING HOPE) is really fucking aggrivating. I hope there's some trick I should know to beating this guy, because...well, it sucks. Man.

I guess the game has 2 player co-op also. One person is the samurai, another is the cowboy...

I wish I had a friend :(

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Don't bother...they share the same energy gauge (IIRC) and the camera only follows the samurai.

demi

Beat it!

Upon finishing, you unlock a Survival Mode, and Hard Mode, with more challenges for you to complete, should you feel it.

And it appears that along with the initial 16 stages, there are several more bonus stages! I don't know how many exactly, I only unlocked 3...

But seriously, just rent it, unless you happen to like these "mindless" hack and slash games.

Oh, and I noticed the guy who plays Goldberg is the same guy who plays Campbell from MGS.

demi

NO

Anyone want it? I have no use for this garbage.

The one who proclaims their love for demi the most will receive it absolutely free.

Fongul

Demi is soooooooo sexy my testes rotate around his being like satellites!!!!!!!!!!

(god i'm such a manwhore for some crapola game.....why man why??????)

Lyte Edge

.hacked said:
fuck $63.99 for a used WotSII on amazon! Missed the boat on that one <hugs personal copy>

:D

Really? Shit, maybe I should go buy all the new copies at my local Fry's that they have for $39.99 and put them all on Amazon. :p

Oh, and Way Of The Samurai >>>>>>>>>>>>> Samurai Western. That's not really saying much, either. I'm glad Acquire seems to be getting their act together and is finally making another ninja stealth action game instead of these crappy Samurai "BEU" wannabe games.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
WOTS 1 >>>>>>>> WOTS 2.

Get the first one. Love it. Stroke it. Get 2 and enjoy it till you get fed up of the gay cutscenes and broken non-linear choices.

Don't know what Samurai Western's like, but it don't sound like WOTS.

I'm waiting for Spike's new NINJA GAME!!!!11111OMGWTFBBQ

Lyte Edge

demi said:
There is no winnar yet, the lack of entries shows how good this game will be. HA HA HA

I WILL LET YOU SHOWER ME WITH YOUR MAN JUICE FOR THE GAME.

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
I'm glad Acquire seems to be getting their act together and is finally making another ninja stealth action game instead of these crappy Samurai "BEU" wannabe games.

O_O

WoTS is an awesome series combining open ended gameplay from Shenmue/GTA with a really diverse battle system that's like Bushido Blade but with more weapons, stances, moves.

WoTS1&2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any Tenchu game. And Spikes new ninja game looks just like a Tenchu ripoff ;_; Personally I expect it to be worse than Samurai Western, but I'll still buy it to support them because WoTS1&2 showed that they have a lot of good ideas for making innovative action games.

Top Bottom