• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse Elites come out in a week, where are the reviews?

King Dazzar

Nice. I also use type 3 with pulse 3d. And I keep it enabled system wide and I don't disable it for any game. I think the best 3d audio I've ever heard was in Returnal. I can only imagine on elite!
I also use PCM linear audio (and not bitstream) but I think it has nothing to do with headphones. It's just for hdmi out audio to tv.

And as for bass 3, low1... I've seen reviews saying it has little bass but good to hear you can solve it. And I think it saves to the device so that bass should be there on pc too. Some review mentioned it
Yeah, the bass is very clean but just needs that boost. I forgot about the output, but yes I'm using Linear PCM too for everything. The only thing I changed from the 3D's was just the eq. I tried to align it closely to my AVR and 5.1 speaker set up, so should be a good place for you to start.

Let us know how you get on. I think you'll be impressed.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
so spent some time with them on a few games including a couple of hours on Tetris Effect. One thing I think is cool with these Sony headsets is the fact when sound is supposed to come from your controller it actually comes out the headset still, just its set to sound like its coming from in front and below you like it would had it come out of the controller, which you would not be able to hear due to the headset.

Overall im enjoying the upgrade, and its cool to take calls on it at the same time as playing the game with the bluetooth at the same time thing.

FrankWza

Currently using this with PlayStation 5 and my phone.

Works insanely well, i can finally talk to my mother on the phone while gaming 🧐
It's awesome. The only other way to do this is via a transmitter and splitter and even then, it has be a very specific setup. They packed these releases with a great amount of features.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Played Helldivers 2 with some friends for about 5 hours, and used the Elites the entire time. Even though I typically use wired, reference quality headphones, I came away mostly impressed with these. Should be a no-brainer upgrade for most people who want a wireless option. Good on Sony for only making these $150, because you get a lot of audio and features at that price point. However, there are some drawbacks that come with the price as well.

Positives:
+ Price
+ Crystal clear audio. It's shocking how detailed these sound at the price.
+ Imaging. No issues pinpointing enemy direction in Helldivers or COD.
+ Bluetooth. Simultaneous audio over bluetooth sounds great when kept at a mid-high volumes (distortion comes in around max volume, which is expected).
+ Microphone and AI noise rejection. Friends were happy with the mic quality and noise rejection is as good as advertised (filters out sounds like chewing chips, without muting).
+ Included hanging mount/charge dock. Simple but useful accessory that's included in the package.

Negatives:
- PlayStation Link is shaky. Had a full dropout while in game, and headset wouldn't re connect to the link usb. Had to swap to my wired headphones to finish the game. Random dropouts seems to be a big issue right now based on what I've seen online. I've only experienced it once so far though, and hopefully it's something that can be improved via firmware.
- UX is meh. Too many functions are linked to the power button and things don't respond how they should. It was a huge headache just to pair one bluetooth device. I also couldn't get the quick menu to pop up. Should be more intuitive.
- Build quality is just ok. Some creaking with minor head adjustments.
- Ear cushions. Not a fan of the pleather material. I wouldn't usually list this as a negative, as it's subjective; however, the ability to swap pads is still unknown. This is a huge negative for me and I would hold off on buying if you don't like pleather pads until we get more information. Wicked cushions is looking into it right now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ok got the elites.
At first, I've noticed how they seal which is too much. The headset is very comfortable. The only problem is that I can hear by breath, my heartbeat and you know, all microphonics. It's that pressure feel.
After maybe 15 minutes of listening, when I pause the music, I can hear tiny noises like crumpling foil or a shopping bag you left on the counter and you hear it crackling from time to time.. like if the drivers were relaxing or cooling. Interesting...
Another weird thing I've noticed is how tight the dongle is to get in my pc lol. It's fine on ps5.

As for the sound, I am really surprised how detailed planar is! At once I've noticed additional instruments and sounds in the ps5 main theme... unless it was updated recently lol but I swear I hear new stuff in there.
Demons souls makes you feel really aware of everything and backstab is still very powerful.
I've not changed any EQ yet. Just testing as is + music on pc with the dongle. It's less bassy than pulse 3d but at the sametime it's doing better at lower ranges than pulse 3d did. So maybe less mid/low mids.
Treble and all up there is great. Nothing piercing but certainly you can hear every noise that's in the recording. everything.
ok, more testing.
edit: When I take them off, On each side I feel like I am taking the cork out lol. I can hear the seal breaking lol. I think these would be better with fabric cushions

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Ok got the elites.
At first, I've noticed how they seal which is too much. The headset is very comfortable. The only problem is that I can hear by breath, my heartbeat and you know, all microphonics. It's that pressure feal.
After maybe 15 minutes of listening, when I pause the music, I can hear tiny noises like crumpling foil or a shopping bag you left on the counter and you hear it crackling from time to time.. like if the drivers were relaxing or cooling. Interesting...
Another weird thing I've noticed is how tight the dongle is to get in my pc lol. It's fine on ps5.

As for the sound, I am really surprised how detailed planar is! At once I've noticed additional instruments and sounds in the ps5 main theme... unless it was updated recently lol but I swear I hear new stuff in there.
Demons souls makes you feel really aware of everything and backstab is still very powerful.
I've not changed any EQ yet. Just testing as is + music on pc with the dongle. It's less bassy than pulse 3d but at the sametime it's doing better at lower ranges than pulse 3d did. So maybe less mid/low mids.
Treble and all up there is great. Nothing piercing but certainly you can hear every noise that's in the recording. everything.
ok, more testing.
FWIW the Link dongle was very tight fitting in my PS5's usb sockets too. So that's normal I would say.

S0ULZB0URNE

Ok got the elites.
At first, I've noticed how they seal which is too much. The headset is very comfortable. The only problem is that I can hear by breath, my heartbeat and you know, all microphonics. It's that pressure feel.

ok, more testing.
Try mic monitoring/side tone.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah kinda creaky when you move around. Other than that I really like them.
They sound like if there was tiny sand or crinkly paper inside when you pause music and don't move. Even with music on. Not sure if it's the driver or something else

GymWolf

Do this headset sound much better on ps5 compared to pc for some obscure reason like not having the optimal drivers or some shit?

Because i'm not an audiophile in the slightest but i swear this thing on pc sound like the sony platinum and i was expecting much better after all the fanfare about these planar stuff.

Btw yeah the usb dongle is hard as fuck to insert both on pc and ps5, it feels like it's gonna break very soon, build quality overall is pretty rough.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This finally sounds as it should. Not every headset can get the bass track right in this

more on the seal - I guess it's a must because if I put my finger on the earpads to create a small opening, all bass is gone. That's probably planars specific thing

FrankWza

PlayStation Link is shaky. Had a full dropout while in game, and headset wouldn't re connect to the link usb. Had to swap to my wired headphones to finish the game. Random dropouts seems to be a big issue right now based on what I've seen online. I've only experienced it once so far though, and hopefully it's something that can be improved via firmware.
Same thing happened to the Explore. The first firmware update fixed it so I wouldn't worry even though it's annoying. Whats weird is that not everyone had the issue. It's probably a power draw issue that needs to be adjusted

Eiknarf

Banned
So is the EQ unique to the LINK via the Pulse (Elite and Explore)?

When I plug any headphones into the Dualsense via the 3.5mm jack, there’s no option to EQ.
Even when I plug the Pulse Elite’s into the Dualsense via the 3.5mm jack, there’s no EQ.
So it must be exclusive for the Link Dongle, right?

Rac3r

Is there any way to hear my own voice when talking on the mic?

Sidetone doesn’t work

Hmmm that's weird. Sidetone definitely works on my set. Did you try setting it to the max level in the system settings? You could also try going through all the reset methods mentioned here. If it still doesn't work then I would look into exchanging.

schaft0620

It is better than the Pulse 3D headset

vs Pulse 3D:

Con:
$50 more

Pro:
Mounting hardware.
Better noise canceling.
Better audio, I like the Pulse 3D, and yet this is marginally better.
More comfortable around your ears.
The button placement feels more natural and works with the mute button on the controller, you don't have to use the mute button on the headset but you can.
Better than a lot of $200 headsets. I think they wanted this to be $200 and cut the price now that spending is down.
Works with the Portal, the Pulse 3D does not.

Last edited:
After maybe 15 minutes of listening, when I pause the music, I can hear tiny noises like crumpling foil or a shopping bag you left on the counter and you hear it crackling from time to time.. like if the drivers were relaxing or cooling.

I am starting to hear this…wtf is it?

Its incredibly annoying

Yeah this crackle/popping sound is bizarre. Sounds like a weak signal going in and out.

Was there an update they pushed out for this that caused it?

What’s strange is if I get close to my ps5 where the transmitter is, the sound seems to go away, but the minute I get a few feet away it comes back

Sony better fix this shit, there’s no excuse for releasing these products with so many issues

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah this crackle/popping sound is bizarre. Sounds like a weak signal going in and out.

What’s strange is if I get close to my ps5 where the transmitter is, the sound seems to go away, but the minute I get a few feet away it comes back

Sony better fix this shit, there’s no excuse for releasing these products with so many issues
I’ve not tested the distance. I’ve heard this when plugged in pc right next to me head up on a desk. So couldn’t be any closer.

Seems like a planar magnetic thing.

Thanks. Of course nobody before explained that planars need this suction seal and crackle all the time like a plastic bag lol.
The pop is similar to finished coke can. You can still hear occasional fizzle in there.
I guess that's why the headphones have that seal going on. I haven't had any of the snap, crackle, pop yet. Hopefully won't happen. Yeesh.

King Dazzar

So is the EQ unique to the LINK via the Pulse (Elite and Explore)?

When I plug any headphones into the Dualsense via the 3.5mm jack, there’s no option to EQ.
Even when I plug the Pulse Elite’s into the Dualsense via the 3.5mm jack, there’s no EQ.
So it must be exclusive for the Link Dongle, right?
My understanding is that the last set EQ is saved onboard. So I'd expect it to apply to everything once adjusted. But I haven't tested it.

Be careful with planars. Try not to compress the earcups to your head. I've heard the pressure can acually damage the drivers this could be the crinkling noise people are hearing?
I've had the Elite's since launch and they are decent. Sound quality doesn't compare to the Maxwell's but they are nice and light making them more comfortable. I've also had dropouts when connecting to PS5 and the Portal. I hope a firmware update is coming soon to address the issue.
I wish it had a couple of extra buttons as well rather than having to use the power button for so many functions.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
My understanding is that the last set EQ is saved onboard. So I'd expect it to apply to everything once adjusted. But I haven't tested it.
We’ll see

No matter what plugs into the Dualsense, there’s no option to EQ.

And I kind of hope it stays that way. Otherwise, I could’ve just used my existing Beats via the 3.5mm and EQ’d the trouble up.

TrebleShot

Thanks. Of course nobody before explained that planars need this suction seal and crackle all the time like a plastic bag lol.
The pop is similar to finished coke can. You can still hear occasional fizzle in there.
You broke your headsets, sorry dudes.

How Planar Magnetic Drivers Are Different

Planar magnetic drivers mix some of the operating principles between dynamic and electrostatic drivers. In a planar magnetic setup, the part that actually creates sound is an electrostatic-style thin, flexible material sandwiched between the outer layers of the mechanism. But like a dynamic driver, that diaphragm contains extremely thin wires with electrical current flowing through it, which regulates its back-and-forth vibration.
Youve likely damaged that thin layer, common on high end headphones and its never warned but if you squish the cups against your head too much or against each other the compression of the air will damage that thin layer.

More headphones should come with this warning, maybe they do but it needs to be more obvious.

Luck of the draw too, ive squished several planars I have but not aggressively or with any force so just depends what you do with them.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Planar magnetic drivers mix some of the operating principles between dynamic and electrostatic drivers. In a planar magnetic setup, the part that actually creates sound is an electrostatic-style thin, flexible material sandwiched between the outer layers of the mechanism. But like a dynamic driver, that diaphragm contains extremely thin wires with electrical current flowing through it, which regulates its back-and-forth vibration.
Youve likely damaged that thin layer, common on high end headphones and its never warned but if you squish the cups against your head too much or against each other the compression of the air will damage that thin layer.

More headphones should come with this warning, maybe they do but it needs to be more obvious.

Luck of the draw too, ive squished several planars I have but not aggressively or with any force so just depends what you do with them.

I doubt I broke it.
I mean I ordered it from amazon so who knows

“Squished the cups??”

The only thing I’ve done is cleaned them out with a light cloth

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah I checked. It's all over reddit.

But yeah, I broke it :messenger_poop:

King Dazzar

“Squished the cups??”

The only thing I’ve done is cleaned them out with a light cloth

Yeah I checked. It's all over reddit.

But yeah, I broke it :messenger_poop:

lol If they're that fragile, then the product will get loads of returns and flamed left right and centre. Only noise I've had from mine are if I move my head in such a way that it changes the seal on my head. i.e its what I'd think normal for a closed design. Otherwise, flawless so far.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Good news on the replaceable earcups. I'm currently using the INZONE H9's for my PS5 stuff, and they're great, but I may pick up the Pulse Elites for the PS Portal easy integration.

danklord

Gold Member
They sound good, but they're not outstanding in any regard imo. Definitely a way better headset than the Audeze Maxwell as they're lighter, sound the same, and cost half as much. I got these and the pulse explore hoping that the PS Link ecosystem would allow me to quickly swap headsets on one dongle, but alas, that is not the case and the PS link dongle stays attached to one headset at a time. This wouldn't be a problem if pairing the headsets was a simple process, but it's more inconsistent than trying to connect to a bluetooth dongle. My dream was to seamlessly switch from the PS Elite to the PS Explore using two dongles in my PS5 and in my PC. This doesn't work, and is sadly, just a dream.

I'm likely going to send these back. The best gaming headset from Sony in 2024 is the InZone Buds in my opinion. They sound better than the PS explore and work awesome on PC and PS5. As a pure comfort preference, I do enjoy wearing earbuds vs a traditional headset. Also, seeing how multiple PS Links gives you no advantage, I prefer using the inZone's USB-C dongle because it's easier work with.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Even though these are not officially noise canceling, the suction around my ear is so great that because of it, I have better noise cancellation than my actual wireless noise cancelling BEATS.
However my older wired noise cancelling BEATS are still the best for ridding of external sounds

OK - bizarre update on the cracking/popping noises

I took my headset off the charging stand and let it sit idle for a few hours.

Turned on the PS5 and the issue went away. I have no idea what could have caused this but maybe it’s an overheating or overcharging issue?

Definitely IS NOT a planar drive issue

Seems like an issue with the transmitter or receiver

Last edited:
OK - bizarre update on the cracking/popping noises

I took my headset off the charging stand and let it sit idle for a few hours.

Turned on the PS5 and the issue went away. I have no idea what could have caused this but maybe it’s an overheating or overcharging issue?

Definitely IS NOT a planar drive issue

Seems like an issue with the transmitter or receiver
That's good to hear. Been sweating i'll turn them on and suddenly get crackling.

iHaunter

Not a fan, too heavy, no BT with dongle at the same time and directionally worse than the elites.
And have far better audio quality, bass, build quality, no driver issues. Better mic and pretty much everything else.

The whole listen to two things at once is a gimmick I don't need.

Last edited:
And have far better audio quality, bass, build quality, no driver issues. Better mic and pretty much everything else.

The whole listen to two things at once is a gimmick I don't need.
Mmm, I dunno, I think these are close enough, in objective measurements, to the Maxwell that they're a good buy. Maxwells seem to be better, but not like, double the cost better. Unless the delta, to you, is worth that extra. Which it might be!
These are a good buy, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom