• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So. Shakira at the super bowl, the tongue!

your opinion

• pure cringe

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • it was cool

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 21 35.0%

• Total voters

tfur

Mandatory Shakira gif...

giphy.gif

jts

...hate me...
I'm not making fun of the tradition, but it seems so out of place here that without any context I can't help but laugh at the hilarity of the situation. If I instinctively laugh at something I can't go back and tell my brain WELL BEFORE YOU LAUGH JUST CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING FOR A SECOND.

I am sure that kind of scream seems well in place in traditional celebrations that include it, just not when 2 latina popstars are singing and shaking their butts off at the Super Bowl.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
From a FB post... bolded only parts of it that I think are relevant here.

"The comments and memes about last night's half-time show just reminds me how white-centric the American mind is. There were so many cultural references in last night's show and I'd say probably very few white Americans recognized them.

The Superbowl was hosted in Miami this year - a city nicknamed the "Capital of Latin America".

Some of the costumes in J-Lo's performance showed a tribute to Selena, one of the most celebrated Mexican-American entertainers of all time (who J-Lo played in the 1997 biographical film.)

J-Lo, who is of Puerto Rican descent, donned a reversible cape showing the Puerto Rican and American Flags on either side. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory which is still recovering from devastating damage from a hurricane and subsequent earthquakes. J-Lo has notably donated at least $1 million towards aid for Puerto Rico. Her daughter singing "Born in the USA" was a reminder that Puerto Ricans are Americans too.

I know some people said "Let's have more of the kids singing! It should be family friendly!" While that was happening, other children were shown in cage-like structures to represent a subtle nod to the children (mostly of Latino descent) we have kept in detention over the past several administrations.

And Shakira. Thanks to my sister's obsession I grew up knowing a LOT about Shakira! Her father's parents were Lebanese immigrants who emigrated to New York City where her father was born and then subsequently immigrated to Barranquilla, Colombia - where waves of Middle Eastern immigrants came after WW1 and WW2.

The "weird tongue thing" she did? That's called a zaghrouta which is used to express joy in Arabic culture. Shakira is very proud of her Lebanese roots and has been belly dancing since the age of 4.

The "stomping dance" she did? Champeta! A tribute to Afro-Colombian culture.

In fact almost all the dancing in the half-time show was a nod to Latin or Afro-Latin culture including mapalé and salsa.

So maybe you thought it was "nasty" or "not family-friendly" but I saw it as pride, a celebration of culture, and one of the most honoring things these two women could have done for Latin Americans. "

DonJorginho

Banned
Ofcourse, bro.

It's just that I've never seen Papa Papa sound so "old" until reading what he said :(

I think the way society is, with the deep rooted problems of our human culture starting to unearth from our deepest and darkest fears and become fully fledged flowers filled with hatred within its stems and a lack of direction we are slowly crumbling into nothing but empty husks of our former selves, forever internally screaming with tortured vocal chords churning against our own anxiety fuelled thoughts and it all intertwining with our inability to love and respect eachother as we once used to. Humanity is doomed and we will forever be looked down upon from the almighty Gods above, but for all we know the gods we worship could be nothing but a facade created by the delusions we cling onto so dearly, and life as we know it could all be a repetitive simulation of trying to feel emotion when deep down we are simply play acting to ignore the disasters that surround us on a daily basis.

Or you can just stick to Ok Boomer, both work fine.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Super bowl is the ultimate celebration of pop trash. I’d argue not the appropriate channel to tut tut.

im just there for the modern fertility ritual of a hot Colombian woman shaking her stuff for millions of people. yeah it’s dumb but it’s visceral and potent magic

Last edited:
From a FB post... bolded only parts of it that I think are relevant here.

"The comments and memes about last night's half-time show just reminds me how white-centric the American mind is. There were so many cultural references in last night's show and I'd say probably very few white Americans recognized them.

The Superbowl was hosted in Miami this year - a city nicknamed the "Capital of Latin America".

Some of the costumes in J-Lo's performance showed a tribute to Selena, one of the most celebrated Mexican-American entertainers of all time (who J-Lo played in the 1997 biographical film.)

J-Lo, who is of Puerto Rican descent, donned a reversible cape showing the Puerto Rican and American Flags on either side. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory which is still recovering from devastating damage from a hurricane and subsequent earthquakes. J-Lo has notably donated at least $1 million towards aid for Puerto Rico. Her daughter singing "Born in the USA" was a reminder that Puerto Ricans are Americans too.

I know some people said "Let's have more of the kids singing! It should be family friendly!" While that was happening, other children were shown in cage-like structures to represent a subtle nod to the children (mostly of Latino descent) we have kept in detention over the past several administrations.

And Shakira. Thanks to my sister's obsession I grew up knowing a LOT about Shakira! Her father's parents were Lebanese immigrants who emigrated to New York City where her father was born and then subsequently immigrated to Barranquilla, Colombia - where waves of Middle Eastern immigrants came after WW1 and WW2.

The "weird tongue thing" she did? That's called a zaghrouta which is used to express joy in Arabic culture. Shakira is very proud of her Lebanese roots and has been belly dancing since the age of 4.

The "stomping dance" she did? Champeta! A tribute to Afro-Colombian culture.

In fact almost all the dancing in the half-time show was a nod to Latin or Afro-Latin culture including mapalé and salsa.

So maybe you thought it was "nasty" or "not family-friendly" but I saw it as pride, a celebration of culture, and one of the most honoring things these two women could have done for Latin Americans. "

Nice try, but we should call this what it was. Two outdated pop stars trying to make themselves relevant again by flashing some skin and generating some carefully planned out twitter outrage.

This won't be like Janet Jackson though. People will meme it for a couple of days and forget all about it.

Top Bottom