• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, what has Yu Suzuki been up to?

The last game I remember him making was Shenmue II. I can't even remember him even doing any interviews as of late. So, anyone know what's up?

GhaleonEB

Seems like he's been alternating between hyper real (F355) or surreal (forklift racing).

Please become relevent again, Yu. I loved Yu in the 80's and 90's.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I didn't check the credits for Outrun 2, but I just assumed he had a hand in that. And O2 came out in the arcades well after Shenmue 2.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The battle system in Shenmue Online looks like it's bringing deeper action combat to massively multiplayer online games.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Last week's episode of a day in the life of Yu Suzuki...

1. Opening birthday presents
2. Drive Ferrari a bit
3. Wank into pile of money
4. Tease Naka-san about still being a virgin at 40+ years
5. Wank into pile of money again
6. Add new character to VF5. Maybe I'll bring that Sumo guy back and have real-time flab shockwave physics.
7. Wank into pile of money again
8. Sleep in pile of money

pj

Banned
boutrosinit said:
Last week's episode of a day in the life of Yu Suzuki...

1. Opening birthday presents
2. Drive Ferrari a bit
3. Wank into pile of money
4. Tease Naka-san about still being a virgin at 40+ years
5. Wank into pile of money again
6. Add new character to VF5. Maybe I'll bring that Sumo guy back and have real-time flab shockwave physics.
7. Wank into pile of money again
8. Sleep in pile of money

What kind of weirdo sleeps where he wanks?

Lazy8s said:
The battle system in Shenmue Online looks like it's bringing deeper action combat to massively multiplayer online games.

if its stats based it WILL suck. fuck this just give us Shenmue 3.

Shinobi

op_ivy said:
ferrari F355 2.... i wish

Technically, that was already done...basically the arcade game with the DC-only tracks included.

16310201.jpg

Sure would love a third game though...

D-X

There's a lot of Shenmue Online hate in here. Has anyone actually played it? You should be glad the series is still around in any form.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
D-X said:
There's a lot of Shenmue Online hate in here. Has anyone actually played it? You should be glad the series is still around in any form.

if by play, you mean feeding cats, driving forklifts and talking to people in search of sailors, then yeah. its still a colossal waste of talent for a guy like yu suzuki

jarrod

Banned
Lazy8s said:
jarrod:

That's basically what he has at Sega Sammy now.
Yeah, I know he has his own seperate studio at SEGA New Entertainment R&D (as does Nagoshi) and doesn't have to answer to Naka or anyone... but still, Suzuki just seems to have fallen more and more out of touch with the management at SEGA and his own peers within the studios. His current position is essentially a reward for past glories, his heart doesn't seem to be in anything he's done post Shenmue/F355... I dunno, I just don't see him staying at SEGA much longer. Especially if he were promised significant financial backing from someone like MGS or SCEI... in fact, at this point it seems almost like that's what Suzuki needs to rekindle the magic.

Sapiens

I've gotta bust out the saturn and play some VF2. Respect.

YS has gone into seclusion in order to surprise us with the next best thing (yet again), whether or not it is financially successful.

His success as an arcade game creator is unsurpassed. Playing Daytona USA today reminded me of that.

jarrod

Banned
Sapienshomo said:
His success as an arcade game creator is unsurpassed. Playing Daytona USA today reminded me of that.
Actually, Suzuki had little to do with Daytona (outside the rather crap Saturn port). The only arcade racers he was really invloved in were Outrun, Virtua Racing and F355 iirc.

Sapiens

jarrod said:
Actually, Suzuki had little to do with Daytona (outside the rather crap Saturn port). The only arcade racers he was really invloved in were Outrun, Virtua Racing and F355 iirc.

Damn, this forum is great at busting down my pre-conceptions. Thank-you, good to know.

I'll have to live on by merely imagining that it was Yu Suzuki that inspired the AM2 team to create such a perfect racer. It WAS AM2 that crafted the arcade game, right?

Either way, I still have Saturn VF2 and Shenmue 2 to worship.

VNZ

jarrod said:
Don't forget Power Drift and the Hang-Ons!

jarrod

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Didn't he just make the abysmal Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation game?
No, TOSE Software made that.

VNZ said:
They were AM2, but I'm not sure Suzuki was that heavily involved. Anyone know for sure?

Sapienshomo said:
I'll have to live on by merely imagining that it was Yu Suzuki that inspired the AM2 team to create such a perfect racer. It WAS AM2 that crafted the arcade game, right?
Yep, it was AM2. Specifically Nagoshi's team, who later broke away and formed Amusement Vision.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Daytona was Nagoshi if I remember correctly.

Also, a lot of Sega Japan have moved to M$ internal Japan. Including the Panzer Dragoon Art Director. No shit. Wouldn't be surprised if everyone else jumps to the dark side either...

VNZ

jarrod said:
VNZ said:
They were AM2, but I'm not sure Suzuki was that heavily involved. Anyone know for sure?
I've always been under the impression that he was designer and lead programmer on both. Both have "YU." on top of the preset hiscore list, at least, but that might apply for AM2-games not designed by him as well.

Perhaps the book included with Yu Suzuki Game Works for DC lists credits for all the games?

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Yes, he was a lead on both.

If the game is in Shenmue's arcade, or is rumored to be in a future one, it was a creation in which he had a major role.

black_13

Banned
nah, he's SO obviously working on the beloved Virtua Fighter 5!!!

*drools*

Now seriously, he better be working on something good for next gen.

jarrod said:
Yeah, I know he has his own seperate studio at SEGA New Entertainment R&D (as does Nagoshi) and doesn't have to answer to Naka or anyone... but still, Suzuki just seems to have fallen more and more out of touch with the management at SEGA and his own peers within the studios. His current position is essentially a reward for past glories, his heart doesn't seem to be in anything he's done post Shenmue/F355... I dunno, I just don't see him staying at SEGA much longer. Especially if he were promised significant financial backing from someone like MGS or SCEI... in fact, at this point it seems almost like that's what Suzuki needs to rekindle the magic.

Uh, what? Who are you? Do you work for Sega, or are you just some fanboy on a message board? If it's the latter, then seriously, this post is purely uninformed speculation on your part.

Shinobi

If a sequel to those games are being made, it wouldn't be called Daytona...unless Sega wants to see another game with EA's ugly logo all over it. But yeah, Nagaoshi would be the one that produces it.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Optimistic said:
Uh, what? Who are you? Do you work for Sega, or are you just some fanboy on a message board? If it's the latter, then seriously, this post is purely uninformed speculation on your part.

He speakee the truth, though.

jarrod

Banned
Optimistic said:
Informed speculation really. No need to be such an asshole, time to face facts and admit Yu's not long for SEGA.

Top Bottom