• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some help with exercise for weak-ass body

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So here is the thing, I lost more than 40kg during this:

I am pretty slim, I think my legs are working well because few weeks back I have 40km of walking (it was walking marathon so it was 42.15km I guess) in one day and that was without an issue.

Now there is a problem because 2 weeks from now, we are going to go to some river boating and my hands are weak as fuck. Why I haven't excersise? Well I have been exercising, but problem is with bigger weight that my hands simply give up, it's not a pain, it's somehow some weakness. Because probably during the surgery in order to save my life, there were some nerve damage.

I don't know if I should try pussy Yoga or what, but I have no chance move boat by my hands, so HALP.

Not sure what I should do.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Other users here will have a lot more information of fitness than I do. So I will just say that yoga can be much harder than you think it is.

M1chl

Other users here will have a lot more information of fitness than I do. So I will just say that yoga can be much harder than you think it is.
I know, so maybe it will work.

Yoga will not help much with strength, start with pushups or some lite weight barbells to increase arm strength.
I have zero chance to do push-ups, those barbells would probably work, but I need something more komplex than just arms, also back and whole upper body I guess. And I need to start now, because it's going to be embarrassment otherwise.

DESTROYA

I know, so maybe it will work.

I have zero chance to do push-ups, those barbells would probably work, but I need something more komplex than just arms, also back and whole upper body I guess. And I need to start now, because it's going to be embarrassment otherwise.
Try to start from your knees first and then work to full pushups. When is your trip because there is no miracles for this to happen quickly, it takes some time to build muscle strength .

M1chl

Try to start from your knees first and then work to full pushups. When is your trip because there is no miracles for this to happen quickly, it takes some time to build muscle strength .
I know, but at least something, you know. You mean doing like a women type push-ups? Well I will try that, it does not appear to me.

M1chl

Yes women type push ups, you have to start somewhere and pushups helps with a lot of the upper body muscles.
Cool.

Biggest issue I've seen with most people is ego. Get that shit outta the equation, and you'll do fine.
What do you mean, I do not understand, what it has to do with ego? I have some difficulties, which other people don't have. I lost all my muscle, that it was problem to open eye lids, I fix all that, but now is time for normal activities and well, I am not exactly prepared.

DESTROYA

You could try wearing wrist weights too all day. The kind you wrap around your wrist to start slow
When is your trip?

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Can you start going to physical therapy? Sounds like that might be what you need. They help people get back to normal after losing mobility due to surgery/injury

M1chl

You could try wearing wrist weights too all day. The kind you wrap around your wrist to start slow
When is your trip?
Yeah, I've tried that, after 10+ broken plates, cups and stuff, I decide not to, it's terribly humiliating. I also have pretty terrible shakes after each exercise, which are incompatible with what hands should do.

Can you start going to physical therapy? Sounds like that might be what you need. They help people get back to normal after losing mobility due to surgery/injury
I went through that and they told me, that I am now "good enoughů for fitness, so I went there and with some easy weight, it fell off my hand and crushed my foot, because I had pretty lightweight shoes, because I am an idiot. So that was that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Join the Fitness OT.

Use a kettlebell as your main source of weighted exercise. Use "weighted stretching" with resistance bands to build up your stabilizer muscles. Do planks (push-ups held in the "up" position) and standing on one foot with the other knee raised. Use VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler rice bucket for strengthening the hand. Cutty Flam Cutty Flam has some knowledge on how to repair yourself after injury.

M1chl

Join the Fitness OT.

Use a kettlebell as your main source of weighted exercise. Use "weighted stretching" with resistance bands to build up your stabilizer muscles. Do planks (push-ups held in the "up" position) and standing on one foot with the other knee raised. Use VlaudTheImpaler VlaudTheImpaler rice bucket for strengthening the hand. Cutty Flam Cutty Flam has some knowledge on how to repair yourself after injury.
Alright will try, but again, I have zero chance to do push-ups at this point.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Alright will try, but again, I have zero chance to do push-ups at this point.
That's fine, you have to start somewhere. Consistently doing something each and every day while avoiding injury to the target area will be your most direct path. Don't stress about weight amounts nor about reps. Don't stress about any specific exercises. If you have to do regressed versions of exercises, so be it.

Just quit before you start to feel any shaking or strain. Repeat this daily. Within two weeks you'll already see improvement. The goal of this method is to avoid injury, not necessarily to build muscle in the fastest way possible.

M1chl

Alternate arms/hands when you do your business.
What type of business you mean, sex? I guess we worked around this issue, so it would not come to some injury to me or my GF.

That's fine, you have to start somewhere. Consistently doing something each and every day while avoiding injury to the target area will be your most direct path. Don't stress about weight amounts nor about reps. Don't stress about any specific exercises. If you have to do regressed versions of exercises, so be it.

Just quit before you start to feel any shaking or strain. Repeat this daily. Within two weeks you'll already see improvement. The goal of this method is to avoid injury, not necessarily to build muscle in the fastest way possible.
Well the issue is that I don't feel any pain, my hands simply start to feel weak and then they gave up.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well the issue is that I don't feel any pain, my hands simply start to feel weak and then they gave up.
That's fine. Keep a mental tally of how long it takes for your hands to "start to feel weak" and then keep pushing that number up, week after week.

Example: if holding yourself up in a pushup position is only possible for 10 seconds (that's your MAX and then you collapse), that's okay. Hold yourself up for 6 seconds, rest, do another 6 seconds, rest, and go find something else to do. Repeat these mini-sets all day long. Train for total number of sets per day, not reps. Train for total sets per week. Doesn't matter if you only go from 10 seconds to 15 seconds max. Just keep at it.

M1chl

Yep.

When you start you feel like a little bitch. But as you gradually gain more strength you become a true master of your destiny. Buck up and own up!
That's like totally not my issue, I don't aspire to be some master of my destiny, I was once and it did not go well. Besides I am 191cm 6 foot 3 with pretty large chest area, nobody even try to tell me anything, so that's what I have going for me which is nice.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
cardio like HIIT / swimming, jogging only in the morning, the colder, the more you burn
2º download 7min workout (free), do that if you can 2 to 3 times per day (4)
3º no soda (sugar), eat less&better, enough good sleep

Overcome the inner bastard.

M1chl

cardio like HIIT / swimming, jogging only in the morning, the colder, the more you burn
2º download 7min workout (free), do that if you can 2 to 3 times per day (4)
3º no soda (sugar), eat less&better, enough good sleep

Overcome the inner bastard.
Like I don't need to lose weight, I have no problem with legs, but with hands. My sleep is shit from that surgery, I don't sleep more that 4 hours per day, eat less...well not sure if hospital would be pleased, most likely thy would put in the bed with nutrien-infusion and well seems like you don't even read OP : P

Great Hair

Banned
Well you said you had "dropped" 40KG.

With just 4h of sleep, heavy exercising will have the opposite effect. Your body and mind wont have enough time to recuperate. Do the 7min workout, once your sleep gets better and closer to 8h switch to more heavier exercises.

Doing some HIIT or yoga is what i and other have recommended aka get in shape (not just loose weight) ... without cardio, all that strength is futile. You dont wanna be the next arnie schwarzenegger ... strong but weak after 15min of going uphill.

Handstand, Hanging from those "pipes" you mount between the door (is much harder than your think), doing rappel ... essentially anything where hands have to carry the weight of your body.

Last edited:

M1chl

Well you said you had "dropped" 40KG.

With just 4h of sleep, heavy exercising will have the opposite effect. Your body and mind wont have enough time to recuperate. Do the 7min workout, once your sleep gets better and closer to 8h switch to more heavier exercises.

Doing some HIIT or yoga is what i and other have recommended aka get in shape (not just loose weight) ... without cardio, all that strength is futile. You dont wanna be the next arnie schwarzenegger ... strong but weak after 15min of going uphill.
I mean I am fast-walking everyday, since I have been able to walk marathon in one day and it even does not take that long, I think I am doing kardio pretty well with it, at least my fitness watches told me so. So yeah. Lower part of the body is good, but upper, coupled with a scar through my whole body, which still means I should not lift more than 50kgs, because they are worried about strenght of that scar, that brings anxiety to the table obviously, but I strenghted my back, simply just hands does not work as intended and it ruining my everyday life more and more, I am dropping less things than in the begining, but it's still tough, since if they would be "just weak" then it would be fine, but issue is that I don't know where and when they simply give up and it's shit. You can read higher about my experience in gym.

M1chl

I recommend getting some resistance bands and a grip strength kit.
I have some rubber bands, they are however still to "tight" for me. And grip strengthen kit, I am not sure what that is. I am going for some google-fu.it

Edit, I don't have much trouble with palms and fingers, however it's probably some nerve damage, because I don't have to use my...now how is that in English....shit. My upper hand muscle, then everything is fine, if I try to lift something, that's when the problem starts.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yeah, one of these
rBVaSVvVdmeAdye_AAGGWzpqjBI567.jpg

is good for building your grip strength, it works your forearm and hand muscles.

Tesseract

Banned
resistance bands and lighter weight dbells, plenty of calisthenics

do whatever push ups you can, use your knees as leverage until strength develops

plank positions over and over will redevelop your stabilizers

jumping jacks, jump rope, elliptical (let your arms do the work, not your legs), dips, chin ups (do your best, hang for a couple seconds, use a pedastal)

intake 1g of protein / pound / day

Last edited:

M1chl

Bro, theres nothing pussy about yoga
I meant Yoga for pussies, like Novice level shit.

resistance bands and lighter weight dbells, plenty of calisthenics

do whatever push ups you can, use your knees as leverage until strength develops

plank positions over and over will redevelop your stabilizers

jumping jacks, jump rope, elliptical (let your arms do the work, not your legs), dips, chin ups (do your best, hang for a couple seconds, use a pedastal)

intake 1g of protein / pound / day
Well I have Whey from Bodylab, that shit allowed me to move. Also that mix of metric and imperial unit scares me.

I would honestly consider talking to your friends and maybe sit this out until you're back up to a better strength level. The last thing anyone wants is for you to exhaust yourself on the water. I'm not sure what kind of boating you're doing, but it's putting yourself at risk and putting your friends at risk too if something were to go wrong in the middle of a body of water, especially anything with a current.

I'd recommend you dedicate time to physical therapy followed up by a regimen directed at the issue. Gyms have personal trainers that will focus on what steps you need to take and make sure the exercises you're doing are the right ones. Losing muscle happens fast, as you've probably noticed. Building muscle is not nearly as easy and will require dedicated routines and time, more so the older you are. From what you're saying you seem to just lose strength and your hand strength goes away, which is pretty normal when you're rebuilding muscles or just getting started building new ones that haven't been used in a while. After surgery it's pretty common to lose muscle mass and strength and it's never an easy thing to regain. Usually when a real strong person goes through that it's much harder to get back to their previous levels. The worst thing you can do is stop trying though, it just takes time.

Grip training is fine and is easy to do, but only applies to a certain group of muscles in your hands in one action and when paddling grip isn't the most important thing. All grip will do is prevent you losing the paddle. It won't really fully prepare you for paddling as you'll be doing constant push-pull motions that put strain on many different muscles in your hands in different ways. You'll be twisting your wrists to steer and turn the paddle, but the majority of the strain will be in your shoulders, upper back, torso and your legs which you'll be using to brace yourself constantly. I would recommend taking a small weight (like 3-5lbs), and try to hold it upside down with just your fingers and no support from your thumb and try to keep it up as long as possible multiple times/day. You'll lose strength and eventually won't be able to do it which is normal when working new muscles, take a break and try again later. Over time it will become easier, it just takes time. You'll feel it in your hands and extensors in your arms which is exactly where you'll feel the burn when paddling. Doing this while holding your arm out to your side will also incorporate your deltoids and triceps which are used when paddling.

GDIR13r.jpg

22cDhdb.jpg

If cardio/endurance isn't an issue, maybe try a cardio exercise that includes your hands.

Off-road cycling actually does a lot for the upper body and your hands as you try to keep yourself steady over undulating and unpredictable terrain. It also works the hands in both directions targeting many of the same muscles as paddling. I have pretty big gorilla hands and a ton of grip strength and am overall just really strong because of what I do for a living but after a long time on my bike my hands are sore because I'm using them in a much different way than I'm used to. It's a good starter for building hand strength too because if you start getting too tired you can just back off and ride normally.

The other really good exercise for hand strength which directly pertains to your activity is a rowing machine at a gym. This will give you the push/pull you need, work your shoulders and arms as well as your abdomen and legs. It's a really great exercise all around.

Rock climbing offers another great overall workout as it involves all the muscles you'd use on the water as well. Handholds of different sizes require different hold techniques, you use your upper body and legs to stabilize as you climb.

Pull-ups are an easy (and free) way to build upper-body and arm strength and switching up hand positions will do a lot for all the muscles in your hands and forearms, even more so if you don't use your thumbs to aid grip (hang from your fingers)

Two weeks may not be enough time to really make any significant changes before your trip. It all depends on how quickly you heal each day and to an extent how far you need to go. I just recently started cycling again after almost 30 years and on day one despite being really strong, I almost couldn't make it up a 1 KM long hill because I never use those muscles outside cycling. It was exactly as you describe, the muscles just stop working and I have to stop. I heal up fast but it'll be months before I can ride my bike half as easily as I could when I was a kid, it all comes down to practice and patience.

Whatever you decide to to, just remember to keep at it and make it routine.

M1chl

When you wake up start your day with standing squats.
Yeah but that does not help me with my hands, tho. It's in OP.
I would honestly consider talking to your friends and maybe sit this out until you're back up to a better strength level. The last thing anyone wants is for you to exhaust yourself on the water. I'm not sure what kind of boating you're doing, but it's putting yourself at risk and putting your friends at risk too if something were to go wrong in the middle of a body of water, especially anything with a current.

I'd recommend you dedicate time to physical therapy followed up by a regimen directed at the issue. Gyms have personal trainers that will focus on what steps you need to take and make sure the exercises you're doing are the right ones. Losing muscle happens fast, as you've probably noticed. Building muscle is not nearly as easy and will require dedicated routines and time, more so the older you are. From what you're saying you seem to just lose strength and your hand strength goes away, which is pretty normal when you're rebuilding muscles or just getting started building new ones that haven't been used in a while. After surgery it's pretty common to lose muscle mass and strength and it's never an easy thing to regain. Usually when a real strong person goes through that it's much harder to get back to their previous levels. The worst thing you can do is stop trying though, it just takes time.

Grip training is fine and is easy to do, but only applies to a certain group of muscles in your hands in one action and when paddling grip isn't the most important thing. All grip will do is prevent you losing the paddle. It won't really fully prepare you for paddling as you'll be doing constant push-pull motions that put strain on many different muscles in your hands in different ways. You'll be twisting your wrists to steer and turn the paddle, but the majority of the strain will be in your shoulders, upper back, torso and your legs which you'll be using to brace yourself constantly. I would recommend taking a small weight (like 3-5lbs), and try to hold it upside down with just your fingers and no support from your thumb and try to keep it up as long as possible multiple times/day. You'll lose strength and eventually won't be able to do it which is normal when working new muscles, take a break and try again later. Over time it will become easier, it just takes time. You'll feel it in your hands and extensors in your arms which is exactly where you'll feel the burn when paddling. Doing this while holding your arm out to your side will also incorporate your deltoids and triceps which are used when paddling.

GDIR13r.jpg

22cDhdb.jpg

If cardio/endurance isn't an issue, maybe try a cardio exercise that includes your hands.

Off-road cycling actually does a lot for the upper body and your hands as you try to keep yourself steady over undulating and unpredictable terrain. It also works the hands in both directions targeting many of the same muscles as paddling. I have pretty big gorilla hands and a ton of grip strength and am overall just really strong because of what I do for a living but after a long time on my bike my hands are sore because I'm using them in a much different way than I'm used to. It's a good starter for building hand strength too because if you start getting too tired you can just back off and ride normally.

The other really good exercise for hand strength which directly pertains to your activity is a rowing machine at a gym. This will give you the push/pull you need, work your shoulders and arms as well as your abdomen and legs. It's a really great exercise all around.

Rock climbing offers another great overall workout as it involves all the muscles you'd use on the water as well. Handholds of different sizes require different hold techniques, you use your upper body and legs to stabilize as you climb.

Pull-ups are an easy (and free) way to build upper-body and arm strength and switching up hand positions will do a lot for all the muscles in your hands and forearms, even more so if you don't use your thumbs to aid grip (hang from your fingers)

Two weeks may not be enough time to really make any significant changes before your trip. It all depends on how quickly you heal each day and to an extent how far you need to go. I just recently started cycling again after almost 30 years and on day one despite being really strong, I almost couldn't make it up a 1 KM long hill because I never use those muscles outside cycling. It was exactly as you describe, the muscles just stop working and I have to stop. I heal up fast but it'll be months before I can ride my bike half as easily as I could when I was a kid, it all comes down to practice and patience.

Whatever you decide to to, just remember to keep at it and make it routine.
Thanks that's more than enough info, I appreciated it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Gym rings are another great tool for building up stabilizer strength and for whole-body exercise routines. I have a rowing machine that I've ignored for months (since I bought rings). Inverted rows, various holds, swings, pull ups, and hangs are great for shoulders and for back. Also good for grip strength / stability.

M1chl

Gym rings are another great tool for building up stabilizer strength and for whole-body exercise routines. I have a rowing machine that I've ignored for months (since I bought rings). Inverted rows, various holds, swings, pull ups, and hangs are great for shoulders and for back. Also good for grip strength / stability.
Shit rowing machine, I can buy one, that's cool idea! I actually rowed (is that even word?) in the club back in my home town. With world Olympic rower Ondřej Synek, pretty ironic for me.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
That would be right hand, no? : D

Lol if ur left hand dominant but most ppl are righties and crank down with their weaker non dominant hand while controlling the mouse with their dominant hand so I just assumed u were a righty

M1chl

Lol if ur left hand dominant but most ppl are righties and crank down with their weaker non dominant hand while controlling the mouse with their dominant hand so I just assumed u were a righty
I am not into that much, since I am living with someone, you know : ) Not like you, VIRGINS. gotcha.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Nothing cringe about being in a weakened state bro, happens to nearly all of us at some point or another

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread. In your situation, I would highly suggest that you seek a highly qualified Physical Therapist. I spoke about this in a different thread, that people should go with the best of the best, and find a Doctor of Physical Therapy, preferably the director of Physical Therapy that keeps active in multiple sports, hobbies, or activities. Those are the one that typically have a true passion and very keen mind when it comes to applying all that they have learned from what they learned about physical therapy in school / their classes. I would say do that, and do not settle on just any PT, but find the best one that your insurance will cover. Personally, I look for the aforementioned qualities and it is not a bad idea at all to find a musclebound PT whether male or female; it shows they know how to apply the exercise science they studied. 3/3 with recovering from extremely debilitating injuries so far when I have worked alongside a DPT to find my way and recover

I would say not to cheat yourself out of health and just get the help. Eliminating pain and correcting problems are first, #1, on your list. You deserve to live well and the others around you would love to see you live well no doubt. A bill from the physical therapist’s office is well worth the price (assuming it’s covered by insurance) if it’s going to get you where you need to be without you suffering any setbacks. Don’t take any shortcuts. Invest in yourself by seeking to diagnose all your issues and correcting them properly and efficiently with a PT. All these professional MMA fighters, NBA players, NFL players, Soccer players, etc. all over the world all work closely with physical therapists every week. There's no shame at all in going. These physical therapists are on a different level when it comes to sports medicine, exercise science, healing and health in general. If you find a good DPT and stick with the exercise routine for a month or two, ask them a bunch of questions, and put effort into your recovery and return to full health it will be well worth the time and money

Personally, I would call off the river boating and just tell them you're going to get treatment for some issues you've been dealing with with your hands, if you think there might be some underlying issue behind the weakness in the hands. Could be a nerve issue or something. It's best to get it checked by a good orthopedic doctor and go from there. You can always suggest physical therapy if you think you need it, and he/she would be willing to prescribe it. One event with some friends is not worth damaging your body over. I can't even tell you how many times I had to sit out and say no thanks to hikes, basketball, tennis, training together at gym or wherever. If you're weak somewhere, you're more prone to getting injured if you insist in engaging in demanding activities. It's not worth risking a little fun only to find yourself in pain and injured over it. I've made dumb decisions like that many times and regretted it heavily each time. You want to move forward, not engage in anything that can potentially break you down in your weakened state. Your friends should understand. I don't think two weeks would be enough to be comfortable with that level of activity. If your muscles have atrophied, it could take several weeks or even months to build back up the strength to safely participate in activities that require constant exertion for hours at at a time

use light weight dumbells, as like as 5 pounds even

goal now is not strength but function/flexibility

just fine tune the gears for a few months with low rep body weight exercises

5 push ups then stop, 10 minutes later do it again, 15 mins later do it again

make it sporadic and very short, but habitual

do the same with squats and any other exercise you like

Top Bottom