• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new MGS4 info (from new EGM)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
posted in the other thread, thought it needed its own thread.

Summarized interview:

Kojima interview

EGM: Good job on the MGS4 trailer. Funny shit.
Kojima: Thanks. Japanese people didn't get it, even my own staff.

EGM: "No place to hide concept". Does this mean stealth is thrown out the window?
Kojima: Not really. Stealth will still be in the game. The concept is shown in the trailer (when the wall falls down on Snake). No safety zone. Environments will always be changing.

EGM: we noticed several hints in the trailer...butterfly and a bird....
Kojima: Yeah, there's some hidden meanings there...I wanted to go against buzz about new hardware and great graphics for next gen. I wanted to lighten the mood with this trailer and make people laugh.

EGM: MGS2, you went to NYC. MGS3, went to a jungle. Going anywhere to research MGS4?
Kojima: Tricky answer, can't say it cause it'd give it away. But here's a hint: it's very difficult to get there. I want to show psychological fear in MGS4, like when you point a gun at someone with mental fear. This is what real combat is and I want it in MGS4.

EGM: MGS4 subtitle?
Kojima: We have many but haven't chosen one

EGM: Will you be totally hands on on MGS4?
Kojima: Sorta. This time, the game will be the product of 3 people instead of just one. New way of producing MGS.

EGM: Can you reveal secret info on MGS4?
Kojima: Trilogy is done, so we have to make a new story. Strong story in background but not created in same way (cinema, action, cinema, action). Utilize environment itself to tell the story this time...action less localized. In the past, Snake always had to infiltrate a fortress or field. In MGS4, that'll change in some way, giving a new experience of sneaking in.

Luckett_X

Banned
I know its wrong but, after reading that article I...I just can't help but think

METAL GEAR SOLID 4: SNAKES IN SPACE!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wario64 said:
EGM: Can you reveal secret info on MGS4?
Kojima: Trilogy is done, so we have to make a new story. Strong story in background but not created in same way (cinema, action, cinema, action). Utilize environment itself to tell the story this time...action less localized. In the past, Snake always had to infiltrate a fortress or field. In MGS4, that'll change in some way, giving a new experience of sneaking in.

Could they finally be ditching the ridiculously stupid cinematic overload from the previous entries?

littlewig

Banned
EGM should have asked why Kojima is being such a Sony whore. Port the game to Xbox360!

Once again EGM goes soft and doesn't ask the tough questions.

sangreal

littlewig said:
EGM should have asked him why Kojima is being such a Sony whore. Port the game to Xbox360!

Once again EGM goes soft and doesn't ask the tough questions.

Why ask a question that has already been answered?

As part of the interview, Kojima reveals the reason that the PS3 was chosen as the format for the next entry in the series. The Metal Gear Solid brand, Kojima states, has been brought up with Sony hardware, the Sony market and through the with the support of Sony, making the choice a simple one.

"Of course we could port it to other consoles, but doing so would require additional staff and research and development costs. If I were to make games for the Xbox 360 or the [Nintendo] Revolution, I'd rather create original titles that match each console's audience, instead of the Metal Gear Solid series."

Solid

littlewig said:
EGM should have asked why Kojima is being such a Sony whore. Port the game to Xbox360!
dude you got the chance with mgs2 but failed. so no more mgs for you! buy a ps3! :lol

Sanjuro

I hope it takes place in the future, and Snake's son is trying to put his dad in a old folks home. It's up to Snake and Otacon to safely escape the threat.

Ironclad

Very difficult to get there? Space doesn't really sound right though. It would have to be inside a space station which would essentially have the same feel as a fortress. Plus, how would psychological fear relate to space?

Sanjuro

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Plus, how would psychological fear relate to space?

OH NOES~!

03.jpg

Sanjuro

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Dinosaurs in Space! The horror of Dino Crisis 3 though wasn't the dinosaurs or space, it was the game itself.

Indeed it was.
I remember how much fun the first one was being a RE clone.
I remember how intresting it was when the second game turned into a frantic run and gun killfest.
I remember how much I vomitted all on my XBOX controller while playing the third game.

EGM92

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Indeed it was.
I remember how intresting it was when the second game turned into a frantic run and gun killfest.
I remember how much I vomitted all on my XBOX controller while playing the third game.

great memories huh?

Ironclad

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Indeed it was.
I agree. I had a lot of fun with the first two but three really killed it. It's going to be interesting to see how RE 5 works out now that the DC team is on it.

I hope we get some media soon. Looking at what Capcom did with RE5 I really wonder what Kojima's team could do with MGS4.

edit. Oh and btw... fuck the haters. Kojima can make this game as crazy as he wants to. I think that's the best part of the series.

It's not space, Kojima mentioned that in a PSM.

"Will the entire game take place on Earth?

Kojima: It isn't going to be in space or another planet. MGS isn't sci fi, so you don't have to worry about that."

The butterflies that they mentioned. I think that has to do with Eva playing a role in the game. When you have to see them its usually during a cutscene or something related to her. The most famous one being
when Snake molds the C3 into a butterfly.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
SolidSnakex said:

Kojima: It isn't going to be in space or another planet. MGS isn't sci fi, so you don't have to worry about that."

The butterflies that they mentioned. I think that has to do with Eva playing a role in the game. When you have to see them its usually during a cutscene or something related to her. The most famous one being

Possibly, we might end up seeing a much much older Eva, or possibly a apprentice of hers..We never really found out what happened to Eva. MGS3 said something about her disappearing on a mission a few years after Snake Eater.

Eva disappeared in Hanoi in 1968, according to the timeline.
. Seeing as MGS4's taking place no earlier than like 2010ish, Eva would be one old gal.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Schafer said:
Could they finally be ditching the ridiculously stupid cinematic overload from the previous entries?
Nobody's talking to you. Go fap over Psychonauts or whatever!

No matter what direction they decide to take it, I can't wait for it! I'm a big Metal Gear fan, and I'm definitely looking forward to MGS4. I'm thinking that it may be more action oriented this time around.

DSN2K

maybe the game is set in a warzone! loads of Metal Gears battling it out above snake as he sneaks past the enermy lines.. :D

Grizzlyjin said:
Possibly, we might end up seeing a much much older Eva, or possibly a apprentice of hers..We never really found out what happened to Eva. MGS3 said something about her disappearing on a mission a few years after Snake Eater.

Yah I think it'd make sense for something about her to pop up. Even if she's not really in it, I expect to see something of her.

The location being a war is started to seem more likely. He's always talking about stuff being blown up which makes it sound like there being a war. Something like a war torn city. That would be a fun angle since you'd almost always have something going on around you even if you were sneaking. Bombs going off, bullets wizzing by, and through all this you're trying to use stealth.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why not go back to the original inspiration for his character and series, Escape from New York. Some kind of urban wasteland/prison would make for a pretty cool setting.

genjiZERO

SolidSnakex said:

How is MGS not already a sci-fi series? I definately think space would be cool. It could be like 2001: A Space Odysey or even THX 1138. "no place to hide" was a pretty big theme in those as well.

EGM: MGS2, you went to NYC. MGS3, went to a jungle. Going anywhere to research MGS4?
Kojima: Tricky answer, can't say it cause it'd give it away. But here's a hint: it's very difficult to get there. I want to show psychological fear in MGS4, like when you point a gun at someone with mental fear. This is what real combat is and I want it in MGS4.

EGM: "No place to hide concept". Does this mean stealth is thrown out the window?
Kojima: Not really. Stealth will still be in the game. The concept is shown in the trailer (when the wall falls down on Snake). No safety zone. Environments will always be changing.
Could it me a snowy mountain? Avalanches, snow storms etc! would be cool :O

bobafett said:
Iraq anyone?
:lol

Sholmes said:
Eva disappeared in Hanoi in 1968, according to the timeline.
. Seeing as MGS4's taking place no earlier than like 2010ish, Eva would be one old gal.

Where does it say "2010ish"? (That's a real question).

It could be set during WW2. "difficult to get there"

Littleberu said:
Is this official? Has Kojima said anything about it?

Edit : Ah ok then.

Here's one of the times he's mentioned it takes place after MGS2 and why it does

What is the main aim with MGS4? I know it's based after the events of MGS2.

The reason behind that, the purpose, is MGS one to three was almost like a trilogy with MGS3 going back to the 1960s to reveal big bosses past. However there were many requests from staff, from all the users of course and even the actors who do the acting for the MGS series said, we want to know what happened after MGS2. That's why I thought I would start to create the world after MGS2.

http://ps2.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=8293

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
The game takes place inside Bin Ladens ass,after Snake takes the shrinking pill he must crawl his way up the ass and finaly inflatrate the brain in order to find out about the future horrible terrorist attacks.

jett

D-Member
Littleberu said:
Where does it say "2010ish"? (That's a real question).

It could be set during WW2. "difficult to get there"

Snake was born in 1971, he was in his late 30s~early 40s in MGS1...and he looks noticeably older in the MGS4's concept art, so....do the math. :p

Top Bottom