• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new MGS4 info (from new EGM)

Here's another interview about MGS4

PSM2: How will Snake look on PS3?

HK: We’re not trying to make Snake look like a real person. We want to concentrate on the movement and animations, making him feel more natural, like an actual life-form.

PSM2: What about enemy AI in the next generation.

HK: In the past, attacking an enemy was pretty straightforward, but in real life there’s the psychological elements to it. In a real battlefield, the sound of sirens and gunfire will frighten enemies, so we want to represent this kind of mental battle in MGS4. We’re planning to hire real psychiatrists to make sure it is realistic. Not just your weapon or your strength decide who wins a battle, who controls the fear can decide the outcome.

PSM2: How do you feel about the fans reaction to Raiden?

HK: Next to Snake, he is our favorite character. We think fans will actually grow to like him in MGS4. That’s how we’re creating him this time.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
And what about the moment of "les enfants terribles" project?

Couldn't be big boss triying to stop his own replication and then failing the attempt?

J2 Cool

Awesome awesome stuff. Kojima's one ambitious son of a bitch. Game Im most interested in for next gen for sure. Im sure he'll find a way to incorporate his ideas into the gameplay real well.

PSM2: How do you feel about the fans reaction to Raiden?

HK: Next to Snake, he is our favorite character. We think fans will actually grow to like him in MGS4. That’s how we’re creating him this time.

:lol I'm fine with it. Don't see why you would waste the oppurtunity to use a character who could be nearly as developed as Snake in his progression. Considering MGS4 he's evolved anyway. Big Boss, Solid Snake, and Raiden all had their own game and can inspire sympathy from us more than any side character could. Except for maybe Ocelot, featured in all games.

J2 Cool said:
:lol I'm fine with it. Don't see why you would waste the oppurtunity to use a character who could be nearly as developed as Snake in his progression. Considering MGS4 he's evolved anyway.

Yah despite the hatred he gets, I do think he could be a character that people really like. Not many liked Ocelot after MGS, but he's slowly gotten more fans as the series has went on. I think Raiden's already looking cool from the artwork they've released of him

From MGS.org

raiden19yi.jpg

So that's atleast a step in the right direction.

I do wonder if they're going to make him more likeable so he can replace Solid. I'm almost completely convinced that he's going to die at some point in MGS4.

It's his and Rose's baby. To get Olga's they're going to have to find the Patriots and that'd be a big part of the story for Kojima to skip over. Olga's baby would also be older than that.

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
I do wonder if they're going to make him more likeable so he can replace Solid. I'm almost completely convinced that he's going to die at some point in MGS4.
So what exactly convinced you that Snake will die in MGS4?
Raiden fighting next to Snake is fine to me and playing 2/3 as Raiden in MGS2 was no problem for me too, but to completely replace Snake in future MG games.......I don't know about that......

BirdySky

Kojima stated in a previous interview prior to mgs3's release that he could/might (can't remember exactly) set mgs4 in space, so...
Add that to 'a new way of getting there' and it adds upto it. Might start off in space as some spectacular opening ala the tanker before coming back down to earth.

EGM92

BirdySky said:
Kojima stated in a previous interview prior to mgs3's release that he could/might (can't remember exactly) set mgs4 in space, so...
Add that to 'a new way of getting there' and it adds upto it. Might start off in space as some spectacular opening ala the tanker before coming back down to earth.

NO SPACE it's been stated by Kojima himself.

I say it's going to take place back in NYC.

Now like in every MGS game Snake has to fight a Metal Gear of some sort, I really hope they don't change this, would be pretty cool if they introduced a new version of RAY or an entirely new MG.

Simo

gogogow said:

Maybe because he's getting too old for this? :lol Snake should be in his 40s in MGS4 but physically, he's got the got the body of a 50-60 yr old thanks to Big Boss. Plus with Naomi Hunter returning MGS4 could offer some closure on FOXDIE..or not.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
I believe that the game will repeat the idea of the GW but this time with Big Boss AI and not with Campbell AI.

We will start with Snake and with Otacon and Meryl giving us orders in the first mission.

In the second mission we continue to control Snake but with Raiden in the support group.

Lakitu

st5fu
It is -definitely- a battlefield.

No doubt.

Kojima said that it would be hard for his team to go there (the location). So obviously, how could his team go to a battlefield?

Drek

Kojima: Not really. Stealth will still be in the game. The concept is shown in the trailer (when the wall falls down on Snake). No safety zone. Environments will always be changing.
Am I the only one who reads this and thinks "destructable environments"?

That would be so damn kick ass.

I'll also throw my hat into the "battlefield" ring. They'll probably hire a bunch of military psychologists, aiming to accurately represent the mental trauma and stress soldiers endure in war. I'd love to see a Psycho Mantis type character as well, would fit so well with the "fear" motif.

Have to ask yourself though, what place does one stealth agent have in a war fought in 2010 or later, where metal gears and tanks will dominate the battlefield.

I'm personally hoping that they present Raiden as a more capable, strong willed character now, after the events of the previous chronological game (MGS2). I'm personally hoping for some Raiden/Snake co-op action. Stuff where one covers the other as he crosses a live battlefield, ideally letting you choose which side you want to play from. Of course thats just my hopeless dreaming, but if Kojima really wants to incorporate Raiden as a "main character" type in the series I'd want to see a branching storyline system where depending on who you choose to play each section as you'll see the game progress along a different storyline. It would add a lot of replay value.

MGS4 is supposed to have a fully controllable 3D camera a la MGS3: Subsistance right? Kojima said thats why they made the 3D camera engine in the first place, to prep for MGS4's, iirc. I would think that it'd have a first person view as well, so the game could lend itself to some pretty intense action scenes.

gogogow said:

I think Sino hit on some of the reasons. Naomi being the that makes alot of sense. She's ofcourse linked to Solid through the thing that could possibly kill him. She has no other role in the series. With that said, I don't think he's going to die through FoxDie. He'll be killed by whatever character that'll become the star of the series. That's a theme in the series, a character succeeding another by killing them, and they're usually related very closesly to them in some way (either biologically or just how they feel about the other)

Snake (son)--> The Boss (mother)
Solid Snake (son)--> Big Boss (father)
Raiden (son)--> Solidus (father)
? --> Solid Snake (father)

Drek said:
They'll probably hire a bunch of military psychologists, aiming to accurately represent the mental trauma and stress soldiers endure in war.

Yep they're going to do this. Kojima mentioned it in the PSM interview I posted above.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I bet snake has some relations with raiden. Hard to reach place? Fear of a gun in your face?

Oh Kojima, you RASCAL!!! No place to hide, indeed. ;)

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
Here's another interview about MGS4

I SEE IT...THE FEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Heh, sounds pretty cool, I'm so hyped up for this mofo. They better make Raiden a real badass right from the start if Kojima want the haters to start liking him. :p

BirdySky

I think it'll be cool if Raiden defects. Joins ocelot's crew. Then it turns out Snake is Raiden's father and the game ends with them dueling it out ontop of a skyscraper. Winner takes all.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Drek said:
MGS4 is supposed to have a fully controllable 3D camera a la MGS3: Subsistance right? Kojima said thats why they made the 3D camera engine in the first place, to prep for MGS4's, iirc. I would think that it'd have a first person view as well, so the game could lend itself to some pretty intense action scenes.

i think so, and i'm pretty sure MGS4 will have online multiplayer as well (which could fit the whole battlefield setting). MGS3:S seems like a priced beta test for MGS4

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
I think Sino hit on some of the reasons.

Snake (son)--> The Boss (mother)
Solid Snake (son)--> Big Boss (father)
Raiden (son)--> Solidus (father)
? --> Solid Snake (father)
But it was always the player (the one that you controls, Solid Snake, Raiden, Big Boss) who kills the other (The Boss, Big Boss (MG1), Solidus) and not the CPU that kills you.

If Snake dies, that means he'll be killed in a cutscene, but Kojima did hint and said that Snake will be the true hero, that probably means that you'll play as Snake and end the game with Snake, unlike MGS2.

Well, it's possible that Snake dies by saving someone or something like that or he dies in a cutscene after you beat the game. But that wouldn't be cool......beat the game to die......

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Am I the only one who reads this and thinks "destructable environments"?

That would be so damn kick ass.

That seems to be the idea. The cool part is that if it is pulled off correctly, enemies will use it against you to destroy places where you could hide, and if there's really some type of larger scale battle going on in the background (like early on in God of War), than other people could be inadvertantly destroying areas that you wanted to hide in.

Physics, adaptive AI, and environmental design (which eventually leads to environmental destruction) are where games will get a lot of milage out of what the new systems can do, beyond simply looking prettier than earlier installments. Games like Red Faction and Half-Life 2 show the basic premise of it, but next gen games should really bring it to another level.

Oneself

MGS4 could actually take place in the desert. Sand storms could create an ever changing area and there is no place to hide. Instead of a crocodile hat, snake could get a cactus hat. :D

gogogow said:
But it was always the player (the one that you controls, Solid Snake, Raiden, Big Boss) who kills the other (The Boss, Big Boss (MG1), Solidus) and not the CPU that kills you.

I'm not thinking of it being like they're fighting each other.
I think it'll be more like what happens at the end of the Sniper Wolf or The Boss fighters. Where Solid is just so physically beat up that its more like the other character killing him so he doesn't have to suffer.

gogogow said:
Well, it's possible that Snake dies by saving someone or something like that or he dies in a cutscene after you beat the game. But that wouldn't be cool......beat the game to die......

Kojima basically laid the ground work for his death in MGS1. You know at some point after that he's going to die. If you look at his artwork for MGS4 he no longer really looks badass anymore, he just looks really run down.

EGM92

I really hope snake doesn't die... not yet at least, in the poster he does look run down and old but thats what a full beard and mustache does to you... especially when not maintained.

Yes he'll eventually die but hopefully not by foxdie that would be a really crappy way to go out. And I'm just praying that Raiden isn't his successor, it's not that I didn't like him in MGS2 it just he's not badass enough nor is he ladies man like snake!

And in MGS3 when you find out that Raidanovich is Volgin's little boy toy doesn't help Raiden image AT ALL! .

Top Bottom