• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT are shipping with their adhesive covers still on.

Kadve

Minor mistake maybe, but still something you might have to look out for.

(Original source in German)

https://videocardz.com/newz/powercolor-ships-radeon-rx-6700-xt-with-adhesive-covers-still-on

The graphics cards assembly at PowerColor/TUL made a small mistake by shipping its Radeon RX 6700 XT still with thermal pads covers in place.

With the crazy number of graphics cards shipping, it is natural to expect simple mistakes to be made, but is leaving adhesive covers on the GPU cooler a small mistake? It certainly could have resulted in much less predictive GPU behavior. Fortunately for the user, he noticed that there are blue covers sticking from under the cooler, but rather than return the card, which could have taken ages to be replaced, the user risked voiding the warranty by removing the cooler himself. Only to discover that thermal pads are still covered.
As noted by Igor Wallosek, the mistake could have originated at the OEM factory that makes the coolers for PowerColor. They ship with the thermal pads already installed. Someone at the PowerColor factory must have simply forgotten to remove the covers. What is hard to understand is that the card still left the factory after final inspection and testing.

There is a slim chance that other users may encounter this problem, which is why we are reporting on it. Graphics cards with adhesive covers still on will likely work, but the cooling efficiency won’t be as good as advertised. Well, in any case, it seems that PowerColor must have overestimated how much the PC gaming community loves to remove protection stickers.

595m63r7emf71.jpg

Kuranghi

One time I bought a Club3D 7870 and it only had one power 6-pin power connector on it which didn't seem like it would give enough power to the card when combined with the lane power, when I put a load on the card it just black screened and then restarted.

The 7850 had only one so I guess there was some mixup with somewhere in manufacturing, maybe my card was just labelled as a 7870 but everything else was 7850 internally, fuck knows but support where treating me like a moron telling me over and over to connect both power connectors even though I told them I only had one, but once I sent a picture of the card with the 7870 branding + only one 6-pin connector they emailed back in like 12 seconds and said something like "please send this back to us immediately and we will refund you through the store [Scan]":

IMG_5869.jpg

Does stuff like this happen a lot?

Kenpachii

One time I bought a Club3D 7870 and it only had one power 6-pin power connector on it which didn't seem like it would give enough power to the card when combined with the lane power, when I put a load on the card it just black screened and then restarted.

The 7850 had only one so I guess there was some mixup with somewhere in manufacturing, maybe my card was just labelled as a 7870 but everything else was 7850 internally, fuck knows but support where treating me like a moron telling me over and over to connect both power connectors even though I told them I only had one, but once I sent a picture of the card with the 7870 branding + only one 6-pin connector they emailed back in like 12 seconds and said something like "please send this back to us immediately and we will refund you through the store [Scan]":

IMG_5869.jpg

Does stuff like this happen a lot?

no clue but one of my 580gtx was fused with the cooler

8896ef4bbcbadf3b28335be64b8dab2c08246251

Last edited:
Top Bottom