• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PS2 Importing Questions:

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
What piqued my interest in this was seeing some "Swap Magic 3.6" kits on the local ebay equivalent while looking for cheap games. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can tell me if it works or not? In addition to PS2 imports, would it boot up PS1 imports on my PS2?

Where are some good, reliable places to buy games from? I've noticed Lik-Sang does free worldwide shipping, which is awesome as I live all the way out in New Zealand, any others?

Any good Japanese games that would be good to get aside from Street Fighter AC and Katamari Damacy? And any other games that didn't get released in PAL territories?

In regards to Street Fighter AC, does the Japanese version share that name? Is it the same as the American one or FUCKED like the PAL one (Hyper II but no III WTF?!). If it isn't, anyone know a place that would ship the US version to NZ for cheap or, even better, free?

Chur.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Swap Magic 3.6 works, but Street Fighter Anniversary Collection... well I tested it with an earlier version of the software (quite older) and it did not work: it loaded the "Street Fighter loader" and when you chose the game it gave you an error as it seems it checks the region again at that point of game's loading.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
That's a bit of a bummer, but I guess I'll live. If it works with everything else, that's rad. Cheers.

MrDaravon

I usually use ncsx or play-asia. If you're outside the US, play-asia's probably your best bet, most people have had good experiences with both. Swap Magic comes with a DVD and CD bootup disc, but they ONLY work for PS1 games. I'm 99% sure you can buy a PS1 bootup disc for it, but you've got to get that seperately.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
pjberri said:
That's a bit of a bummer, but I guess I'll live. If it works with everything else, that's rad. Cheers.

I tested Swap Magic 3+ (3.6) today on our PAL PSTwo with a U.S. copy of Street Fighter : Anniversary Collection and it works: both Street Fighter III : Third Strike and Hyper Street Fighter II do work as well as the Street Fighter II anime included.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SailorDaravon said:
I usually use ncsx or play-asia. If you're outside the US, play-asia's probably your best bet, most people have had good experiences with both. Swap Magic comes with a DVD and CD bootup disc, but they ONLY work for PS1 games. I'm 99% sure you can buy a PS1 bootup disc for it, but you've got to get that seperately.

"Swap Magic" only works for PlayStation 2 games, but for PSOne games you can use "Breaker Pro".

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Forget Swap magic. Just get your system modded or buy a pre-modded system and sell your old one. It's the only guaranteed way to be able to play EVERYTHING, including import PSOne games on your PS2.

The problem with Swap Magic is that every once in a while a game will come out that won't work with it and you have to wait for the next release that hopefully fixes the issue. I had this happen with The Rumblefish and at that point decided to just get a modded system instead. Works perfectly, and no more hassles with disc swapping. I got $100 for my PS2, so paying another $100 for a modded system seemed like a good deal to me.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Just for clarification, you can't just use a Swap Magic disc, can you? I mean, don't you have to have either a slide card or flip top to use it?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Minotauro said:
Just for clarification, you can't just use a Swap Magic disc, can you? I mean, don't you have to have either a slide card or flip top to use it?
That, or tape up the drive door sensor.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Lyte Edge said:
I thought you had to have a slim PS2 from the first shipment only to be able to do that?
Doh! For some reason I always think of slimline PS2's when someone mentions Magic Swap. Yes, you will still need to use a fliptop/slide(knife) method for older PS2s. Or just leave the top portion of your PS2 unscrewed :)

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
SailorDaravon said:

black_13 said:
Swap magic is great. I use it all the time but not alot for japn games.

My friend brought some games from China and only 5 out of 8 of them worked.

It's best you go to the official website and look at the compatibility list before buying.
http://www.swapmagic3.com/swapmagic_compa.asp

Panajev2001a said:
I tested Swap Magic 3+ (3.6) today on our PAL PSTwo with a U.S. copy of Street Fighter : Anniversary Collection and it works: both Street Fighter III : Third Strike and Hyper Street Fighter II do work as well as the Street Fighter II anime included.
I love you guys.

Lyte Edge said:
Forget Swap magic. Just get your system modded or buy a pre-modded system and sell your old one. It's the only guaranteed way to be able to play EVERYTHING, including import PSOne games on your PS2.

The problem with Swap Magic is that every once in a while a game will come out that won't work with it and you have to wait for the next release that hopefully fixes the issue. I had this happen with The Rumblefish and at that point decided to just get a modded system instead. Works perfectly, and no more hassles with disc swapping. I got $100 for my PS2, so paying another $100 for a modded system seemed like a good deal to me.
Yeah, I thought about that, but so far all the games I want work with Swap Magic and it seems to be the cheaper option.

Top Bottom