• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

hqdefault.jpg

Puggles

Really hated Hydrocity Zone and not enjoying Mirage Saloon much more. I really enjoyed all the stages up until this point. :(

AAGGHH!!! The final boss is pissing me off royally >_<

I'm simply sick of repeatedly wearing him down to the last tentacle on him, and then dying, and needing to repeat an entire near 15 min level.

Is there any way to avoid the hands? Or more easily avoid the spiked ball enemy?

you can easily cheese the boss if you enter it with an electric shield

make sure to choose the bottom left path last in act 2, then during the final room where you're spinning around on the magnet balls, you can reach an alternate exit inside the far right wall that leads you to an electric shield

as long as you keep hitting Robotnik, you can keep breaking the cables and completely avoid being warped away to fight a Heavy (at least this was my experience)

Davey Cakes

Really hated Hydrocity Zone and not enjoying Mirage Saloon much more. I really enjoyed all the stages up until this point. :(
Hydrocity Zone has always been somewhat divisive, I think. That's just how it is with water stages.

I don't know, though. I might actually prefer Mania's version (of both Acts) to Sonic 3. It's pretty close.

While Act 2 is very nearly an exact copy+paste of the level design with little "remixing" I think it's clever how they reversed the aesthetics of the original Hydrocity Act 1 and 2 and I enjoy the added touches.

Boogiepop

So I finally went through and beat the game, and with the
lacking chaos emeralds
final boss... my friend and I figured you could dodge the hands. Well, as it turns out... if both of those hands grab Tails at the same time, then you're 100% stuck and have to use the retry option in the menu. Fortunately that retry did just take me back to the start of the boss fight, but yeah... that's a glitch/oversight...

Also, feel like the stages kind of felt weaker to me from Mirage Saloon onwards, compared to everything that came before.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hydrocity Zone has always been somewhat divisive, I think. That's just how it is with water stages.

I don't know, though. I might actually prefer Mania's version (of both Acts) to Sonic 3. It's pretty close.

While Act 2 is very nearly an exact copy+paste of the level design with little "remixing" I think it's clever how they reversed the aesthetics of the original Hydrocity Act 1 and 2 and I enjoy the added touches.

I don't mind Hydrocity in Mania, but that's partly because my expectations for that zone are really low.

Hydrocity is one of the least-engaging stages in Sonic 3 and probably the least-engaging water-themed level in the series, full of huge slopes and loops that play themselves. The actual underwater areas are basically non-factors, if you can't outright avoid them in the first place that is.

I can understand a lot of the reasons why people don't like Labyrinth Zone, but I can appreciate some honest to god tension and being forced to actually face at least a handful of the level's unique challenges head-on. I also like that it's a stark contrast to pretty much any other level in Sonic 1; the change of pace is nice. Hydrocity feels like "just another stage" in comparison. I think the moving wall at the beginning of act 2 is the only thing about the level that stands out to me.

Piccoro

Anyone know what's up with the 37MB patch on Steam?

Apparently is for patching some game freezes.

And why are the console versions not getting patched?
I love this game, but I already encountered lots of glitches. Music sometimes stops, the leaderboards still crash the game...
And didn't the PC version came with a dedicated button for Super Sonic transformation? Why can't we have that?

Ferr986

I love this game, but I already encountered lots of glitches. Music sometimes stops, the leaderboards still crash the game...
And didn't the PC version came with a dedicated button for Super Sonic transformation? Why can't we have that?

Taxman said its coming to consoles too.

Berordn

Console certs take longer, that's really not news.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Wow, didn't realize it was only on PC. How do you transform on consoles? Try to double jump?

I don't mind Hydrocity in Mania, but that's partly because my expectations for that zone are really low.

Hydrocity is one of the least-engaging stages in Sonic 3 and probably the least-engaging water-themed level in the series, full of huge slopes and loops that play themselves. The actual underwater areas are basically non-factors, if you can't outright avoid them in the first place that is.

I can understand a lot of the reasons why people don't like Labyrinth Zone, but I can appreciate some honest to god tension and being forced to actually face at least a handful of the level's unique challenges head-on. I also like that it's a stark contrast to pretty much any other level in Sonic 1; the change of pace is nice. Hydrocity feels like "just another stage" in comparison. I think the moving wall at the beginning of act 2 is the only thing about the level that stands out to me.

I think Hydrocity Zone stands out because it is literally the only water stage in the entire series that still allows you to go fast. Heck, if you play well enough you can basically skip over every single water section (I dunno if this is possible in Mania, though). I think it's the only water stage that's actually fun to play through.

That, and the music is my favorite track of Sonic 3&K.

EDIT: Oh, and I think this is the first time you can see Sonic running on water, so that was fun to see.

Nohar

I actually agree with some of his arguments (well, those that I was able to understand - dude has a serious case of motor mouth, which is the whole point of the "No punctuation" thing I guess?):
  • The 10min requirement is too short, especially for the bigger levels, and it pretty much deters exploration, which is a problem since...
  • ... to access special stages and win Chaos Emeralds, you need to explore, as all special stages are hidden in areas you just don't stumble by accident if you simply rush through the level (well, maybe except for one or two, like the Green Hill Zone Act 1's one). And, once again, exploration is detered by...
  • ... slopes and "doors/gates" that shut down tight once you go past them.
  • Quite a few bugs are present and could/should have been caught before releasing the game. Nothing major, but still annoying.
  • The Denuvo debacle. Granted, the team isn't at fault at all, and SEGA should be ashamed by their actions which took the team and the consumers by surprise.
Now, don't get me wrong: the game is a great call-back to the old Genesis games. Sadly, those games had flaws, flaws that are still present in Sonic Mania.

I would really love to see Sonic succeed in trying new gameplay approaches that actually work, like Mario and Zelda. Sadly, I feel like Sonic is stuck in his past: good games of old which, well, got old, and newer games unable to provide a satisfying gameplay experience.
What was the last game everyone went "wow, this is the game of the year!" when talking about a Sonic game? And while Sonic Mania is a good game, it is not the kind of of game which leads to those reactions.

Anyhow, Sonic Mania is a success, and achieves its goals brillantly. The team behind it can be proud of their job. I also love most of the new remixed sountrack (Green Hill Act 2 is amazing).

in sonic 2 don't you just jump? I could swear double jump activating it started in 3.

Did it? I don't believe I ever became Super Sonic in Sonic 2.

Just jumping would be pretty annoying.

What was the last game everyone went "wow, this is the game of the year!" when talking about a Sonic game?
You're in a Sonic Mania thread and you're asking that question? If Zelda didn't come out this year, this game would easily have been my GotY.

AHA-Lambda

What's the difference between the 4 character sets (Sonic, Tails, Sonic & Tails, Knuckles)?

I've read Knuckles has 2 extra bosses, is that the only thing?

It seems rather ridiculous to me though that in order to experience those 2 extra bosses I'd have to play through the entire game again.
You'd think that a character select option would be available upon completion of the game, just like the level select. Is there no way for me to check out the extra content without having to play through the whole game again?

Ferr986

What's the difference between the 4 character sets (Sonic, Tails, Sonic & Tails, Knuckles)?

It seems rather ridiculous to me though that in order to experience those 2 extra bosses I'd have to play through the entire game again.
You'd think that a character select option would be available upon completion of the game, just like the level select. Is there no way for me to check out the extra content without having to play through the whole game again?

I mean, it's a classic Sonic game, is all about replayability. It worked the same way in Sonic3K.

Also yes, Knuckles has a new act, a new midboss and a new boss. Also, he can reach areas Sonic cant, so you can go to newer places in the same levels.

I don't see how it is ridiculous, plenty of game have extras that require to beat the game again. And it's not like Mania is a long game.

Gin-Shiio

Level layouts are partially different for Knuckles as well to complement his unique abilities. You'd do yourself a disservice just skipping through levels imo; the different set of abilities makes a great difference playing through them.

AHA-Lambda

I mean, it's a classic Sonic game, is all about replayability. It worked the same way in Sonic3K.

Also yes, Knuckles has a new act, a new midboss and a new boss. Also, he can reach areas Sonic cant, so you can go to newer places in the same levels.

I don't see how it is ridiculous, plenty of game have extras that require to beat the game again. And it's not like Mania is a long game.

Level layouts are partially different for Knuckles as well to complement his unique abilities. You'd do yourself a disservice just skipping through levels imo; the different set of abilities makes a great difference playing through them.

Nah, I'm alright, I ain't replaying it. It took me 10 hours to beat the game, when for most people it seems to about half that.

I simply found the game frustratingly hard and frankly don't want to do another full playthrough. Thanks for the info though.

EDIT:
Maybe I really do just f*cking suck at Sonic, but for all of the complaints that the Crash remasters got about being too hard (they really weren't), I'm surprised I've seen basically no one say the same about Sonic Mania?

I sadly, pretty much near hated my time with it cos I found it so difficult/frustrating.
Replaying levels in their entirety upon failing at bosses, and with rather limited lives, is not something I expected actually; especially not when many retro re-releases nowadays make more modern concessions (yes it's not a re-release but you know what I mean).

It just seems to be me though =/
Yeah, yeah, in b4 "git gud" >_>

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I actually agree with some of his arguments (well, those that I was able to understand - dude has a serious case of motor mouth, which is the whole point of the "No punctuation" thing I guess?):
  • The 10min requirement is too short, especially for the bigger levels, and it pretty much deters exploration, which is a problem since...
  • ... to access special stages and win Chaos Emeralds, you need to explore, as all special stages are hidden in areas you just don't stumble by accident if you simply rush through the level (well, maybe except for one or two, like the Green Hill Zone Act 1's one). And, once again, exploration is detered by...
  • Quite a few bugs are present and could/should have been caught before releasing the game. Nothing major, but still annoying.
  • The Denuvo debacle. Granted, the team isn't at fault at all, and SEGA should be ashamed by their actions which took the team and the consumers by surprise.
Now, don't get me wrong: the game is a great call-back to the old Genesis games. Sadly, those games had flaws, flaws that are still present in Sonic Mania.

I would really love to see Sonic succeed in trying new gameplay approaches that actually work, like Mario and Zelda. Sadly, I feel like Sonic is stuck in his past: good games of old which, well, got old, and newer games unable to provide a satisfying gameplay experience.
What was the last game everyone went "wow, this is the game of the year!" when talking about a Sonic game? And while Sonic Mania is a good game, it is not the kind of of game which leads to those reactions.

Anyhow, Sonic Mania is a success, and achieves its goals brillantly. The team behind it can be proud of their job. I also love most of the new remixed sountrack (Green Hill Act 2 is amazing).

If you go back to closer to the beginning of this thread, you'll actually see quite a few people claim this could be their GOTY. Personally, for me, I'd easily place this game in the Top Five of the Generation - behind Bloodborne, Zelda, Overwatch, and maybe another game here or there I'm not remembering.

Don't get me wrong - I get your point... it's clear there's still a lot of room to improve this formula - but every time they try, they fail. Christian Whitehead and the team were absolutely utilizing Mania as a sort of "pallet cleanser." I eagerly await what they can do unhinged by past failures and hesitation to reach... I just hope beyond hope Sega doesn't slow them down or hold them back.

Ferr986

I didn't feel the 10 min time limit short, because I never expect to be able to fully explore a level, but I guess that comes with being experiences with the classic series. I know I'm gonna replay it over and over to discover new paths. That's one of the big plus of classic Sonic games IMO

I could see being a little annoying for newcomers, but dunno.... I don't see it that big of a deal.

Same with Chaos Emerals, you can safely get them all after finishing the game.

Guess Who

Banned
For any Mac users out there that bought the game on Steam like I did and would like to play it under macOS, a cracked version runs flawlessly in Winebottler. Set it to Windows 7 (XP doesn't show window borders correctly), install DX9 and the Visual C++ 2015 runtimes using Winetricks, and you can skip installing Mono to save filesize.

Controller support doesn't seem to work, but you can use Steam Controller support with a Dual Shock 3/4 to map buttons to keys and play it with a controller that way. That said, it plays totally fine with a keyboard, it's all digital controls anyway.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Maybe I really do just f*cking suck at Sonic, but for all of the complaints that the Crash remasters got about being too hard (they really weren't), I'm surprised I've seen basically no one say the same about Sonic Mania?

On the other end of the spectrum, I've played so much classic Sonic that on my first run of Mania, I had almost 50 lives saved up by the end of the game. Granted, I did watch a bunch of leaks beforehand and already knew a little of what to expect for a handful of the bosses as a result, but even if that wasn't the case, I'm pretty confident in my knowledge of Sonic tropes that I could have had at least half of that lives count at the end of a completely blind run. That, and I picked up on how to cheese the hyper ring item for some easy 1-ups pretty early in the game.

ezodagrom

Nah, I'm alright, I ain't replaying it. It took me 10 hours to beat the game, when for most people it seems to about half that.

I simply found the game frustratingly hard and frankly don't want to do another full playthrough. Thanks for the info though.

EDIT:

I sadly, pretty much near hated my time with it cos I found it so difficult/frustrating.
Replaying levels in their entirety upon failing at bosses, and with rather limited lives, is not something I expected actually; especially not when many retro re-releases nowadays make more modern concessions (yes it's not a re-release but you know what I mean).

It just seems to be me though =/
Yeah, yeah, in b4 "git gud" >_>
I had a few gameovers in my first run as Sonic, but in my Knuckles and Tails runs, I ended with about 10-ish lives left in each, mostly due to knowing more about the stages.

The only problem I had in the Knuckles and Tails runs was the
Oil Ocean Act 2
boss.

Guess Who

Banned

This all basically boils down to - these games aren't really designed for you to explore every route on your first run, period. You are meant to replay stages to take different routes and find secrets, and many of the one-way doors and gates are intentionally there to require you to execute a jump at just the right moment or find a very particular route to get to a secret rather than cheese your way in by accessing it from another side.

Theecliff

Banned
really tempted to buy this even though my experience of 2d sonic is limited to small portions of the original, the first advance game and generations. so is this game worth it for a relative newcomer to the original games?

really tempted to buy this even though my experience of 2d sonic is limited to small portions of the original, the first advance game and generations. so is this game worth it for a relative newcomer to the original games?
Absolutely. If you got even a modicum of enjoyment from those then this game won't disappoint you. Hell, there's been people who didn't like the originals much who have said they like Mania. It's not just a good Sonic game, it's a good game period.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
My only complaint is that the bosses are too easy. Taking away the players rings during a boss fight would have been a nice challenge. If thats too extreme, have the rings dispensary after the first hit.

Top Bottom