• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

23qwerty

Is this capped to 60fps on PC or is it unlocked? Can't find any info anywhere and the steam reviews are flooded with whining about Denuvo

*Does a Knuckles and Knuckles run on PC, but the game soft locks to a black screen before getting to the true final boss*

Ejeom.gif

Unless there's another patch in the works I'm pretty much done with Sonic Mania (also feeling pretty burned out after a few playthroughs too).

Tailzo

I just want to make a reply in this thread to say that this game delivered in every way that I dared to dream of. Truly an amazing and really fun game that really shows how genius the old 2d Sonic games used to be, while at the same time adding several small great level-ideas on its own.

13ruce

Banned
OK, I'm having trouble with the true ending boss. HELP!

Staying on the ground is easier just bump into em when one of em comes.

Dodge those ball beam like attacks tho they will cost you rings and keep collecting rings because you need to hit them more then your standard boss.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Staying on the ground is easier just bump into em when one of em comes.

Dodge those ball beam like attacks tho they will cost you rings and keep collecting rings because you need to hit them more then your standard boss.
Thanks! I figured out a pattern after I made that post and used Robotnick's turn to farm for rings!

Gotta say, the true ending was sort of disappointing....

13ruce

Banned
Thanks! I figured out a pattern after I made that post and used Robotnick's turn to farm for rings!

Gotta say, the true ending was sort of disappointing....

Yeah the outro animation was kinda short imo.
Was expecting something like CD.

Boss fight was decent enough tho.
liked that the king boiled heavy turned against Robotnik and the struggle for that powerful gem between em.

Narroo

*Does a Knuckles and Knuckles run on PC, but the game soft locks to a black screen before getting to the true final boss*

Ejeom.gif

Unless there's another patch in the works I'm pretty much done with Sonic Mania (also feeling pretty burned out after a few playthroughs too).

Yep. 2.5 hours, wasted, for nothing!

nillapuddin

Is there a way to get level select or debug mode whatever on Xbox One

I saw codes for switch/ps4

I want desperately to beat all these blue spheres, but gaf I cannot git gud enough.

All this effort to get a CP and then hit a red sphere on accident it just sucks
I one shot the emerald challenges everytime, but the spheres whoop my ass

Also, game still has significant performance issues on Xbox One alpha dash.

During blue sphere, the counter listed two spheres to go even though I saw at least three blue spheres left on screen. It really messed with me for a second. Anyone ever run into this before?

The ramps slow you down

Pretty much any time you are in the air you drop speed, small hops and turning with limited jumping is the best thing.

If a special stage could be beaten in a few attempts I would say it's too easy, after a bit each stage route clicks and you can usually get the emerald in a lap (without the jumping sideways tech)

gelf

During blue sphere, the counter listed two spheres to go even though I saw at least three blue spheres left on screen. It really messed with me for a second. Anyone ever run into this before?
Yeah I got the medal for a couple of stages despite seeing a few more blue spheres on screen.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So who was this excited when they saw the Chemical Plant boss?

I know I was lol. Sonic Mania was really fantastic with fan service yet felt so new as well.

Lol - I don't play nearly as well as that guy. When he started it and said "I'm so good at this," and then proceeded to fuck it up for 20 seconds, a was sitting here going "hrm?" And then GIANT COMBO OUT OF NOWHERE.

That said, yeah, super awesome boss that nobody expects. Really cool to throw it in there like that.

Lol - I don't play nearly as well as that guy. When he started it and said "I'm so good at this," and then proceeded to fuck it up for 20 seconds, a was sitting here going "hrm?" And then GIANT COMBO OUT OF NOWHERE.

That said, yeah, super awesome boss that nobody expects. Really cool to throw it in there like that.

"proceeded to fuck it up"

I mean, I've seen better play, but there was clear thought process behind all the actions, and while I saw a few missed opportunities, the player definitely knew what they were doing.

For comparison, here's my run. I don't consider myself very good either, though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
"proceeded to fuck it up"

I mean, I've seen better play, but there was clear thought process behind all the actions, and while I saw a few missed opportunities, the player definitely knew what they were doing.

For comparison, here's my run. I don't consider myself very good either, though.

No, no, no... I think you misinterpreted my post.

I suck at it - and I can recognize he's way better than me - because I thought he was fucking it up and then it was clear he was actually prepping for a nice combo. Whereas I just went 4-links at a time and beat it in the most basic way possible.

McNum

So who was this excited when they saw the Chemical Plant boss?

I know I was lol. Sonic Mania was really fantastic with fan service yet felt so new as well.
I had the opposite reaction, actually.
If I wanted to play Puyo Puyo, which I don't because I'm colorblind, I'd play it.
If you're going to do that, include the accessibility options from the real thing, too.

If I was a game reviewer, I'd have docked a full point for that boss fight. I'll just have to make do with giving it an accessibility penalty when we do the Gaf GOTY thing for 2017.

RiggyRob

I forgot how much I hated water physics until we played Hydrocity Zone -_-

Shit's infuriating the first couple of times through.

Shadio

I had the opposite reaction, actually.
If I wanted to play Puyo Puyo, which I don't because I'm colorblind, I'd play it.
If you're going to do that, include the accessibility options from the real thing, too.

If I was a game reviewer, I'd have docked a full point for that boss fight. I'll just have to make do with giving it an accessibility penalty when we do the Gaf GOTY thing for 2017.

Zone 2 Act 2 Spoilers:
I don't know how badly colour-blindness can affect how well you can see these colours, but there are slight differences in the shapes of the puyos. Blue and yellow in particular are the most distinct from the other three, being shaped like droplets:

pp-2.gif

Though the other three are only distinguishable by their eye placements in this version.

I think they were only looking to make the reference when they included puyo puyo here. They didn't want people seriously struggling if they weren't able to play at a high level, so they toned down the AI quite a bit. He probably performs even worse than the first opponent of Mean Bean Machine.

As a test, I just managed to defeat the boss while only using yellow and blue puyos. I didn't use any combos or advanced techniques. It was kind of close due to the huge amount of pieces I ignored and let stack up. But it shows that you are still able to progress without relying on luck if you can only see a difference between two colours, or if you only focus on their shapes.

So after getting my Sonic and Tails, Tails, and Knuckles runs at Cleared save files but only getting all the Chaos Emeralds in the 'post-game' for those files, I managed to get Super Sonic on my solo Sonic file by Act 2 of Mirage Saloon. Pretty pleased with that since I wasn't going out of my way for the big rings or anything. Super Sonic makes some of the bosses laughably easy :)

Should have 4 fully complete saves at the end of my next session, meaning *technically* all I need to do is get the gold medals on Blue Spheres. But nah, won't be doing that!!

McNum

Zone 2 Act 2 Spoilers:
I don't know how badly colour-blindness can affect how well you can see these colours, but there are slight differences in the shapes of the puyos. Blue and yellow in particular are the most distinct from the other three, being shaped like droplets:

pp-2.gif

Though the other three are only distinguishable by their eye placements in this version.

I think they were only looking to make the reference when they included puyo puyo here. They didn't want people seriously struggling if they weren't able to play at a high level, so they toned down the AI quite a bit. He probably performs even worse than the first opponent of Mean Bean Machine.

As a test, I just managed to defeat the boss while only using yellow and blue puyos. I didn't use any combos or advanced techniques. It was kind of close due to the huge amount of pieces I ignored and let stack up. But it shows that you are still able to progress without relying on luck if you can only see a difference between two colours, or if you only focus on their shapes.
Oh, I can beat it easily enough,
because Eggman is horrible at his own game
, but I'm just not having fun. I find that turning on the CRT filter helps a little
as that creates more shades on each blob, but it's still... The only ones I'm 100% certain of are the reds. Blue and purple isn't so bad unless they're stuck together. Green and orange are a coin flip.

The problem is it has to be done fast. And that messes me up. Eggman is just horrible enough to lose at Puyo Puyo to someone who's colorblind.

Hm, maybe I should try the Switch's inverted colors option, just to see if it works better. It's a great game to check against.

EDIT: I just tried inverted colors mode which A, makes Sonic Mania look really awesome in a weird way, and B... Makes the
Puyos easily distinguishable to me.
So, protip. If you are having trouble with the Chemical Plant Zone act 2 boss due to colorblindness, and you are playing on Switch, hit the Home button, got to System Settings, and under System, find "Change Display Colors". Set it to inverted and see if it helps.

I went from not being able to tell
green from yellow Puyos
to wthe fight like this: SPOILER IMAGE. Needless to say, it worked.

tomasdk

Finished the game with Sonic a few days ago and there are 2 things I dislike quite a lot here.

1.) Some of the bosses were just terrible in my opinion, didn't enjoy them at all,
especially the spider boss in Flying Battery and that game in Chemical Plant. Never played it before and I don't think it has any place in the game, especially as the boss. Those stages deserved better.

2.) The UFO chasing bonus stages are the worst from all the Sonic games I have played, I just hate it. Even the rotating stage from Sonic 1 was better to get the emeralds. Blue Sphere is already in the game, would have been much better for me as I like those stages. Or they could have used the Sonic 2 special stage, that is miles better that what is there.

Outside of these, I really enjoyed it and would place it as my 3rd favorite after S&K and Sonic 2. I hope they will make a sequel and change things a bit again. 2D Sonic is best Sonic.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm enjoying my second playthrough even more than the first!
Also, the UFO stages are way easier on my second playthrough... I guess all that practice the first time paid off.

If for whatever reason you wanted the raw sound file of Dunkey's easter egg in Mania its on the CRF now.

https://tcrf.net/index.php?title=File:SonicManiaDunkey.ogg

Along with a bunch of other stuff.

https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Mania

Real shame if the Scrap Brain Zone assets were actually gonna be for the level and got cut. Not to mention the Super Emeralds.

Considering how sure I was there'd be a fourth character, seeing extra signpost slots labeled "M" and "A" at least keeps the hope alive.

Unless that's just another carryover from the original fan game roots.

I could be wrong but I think it's to force you to really choose the blue spheres you get in order to get all the rings and perfect a stage.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Yeah, the counts are glitched on a few stages. This happens in at least one of the blue sphere stages in the campaign, and it seems to also happen for several patterns in the unlockable Extra stages.

Guess Who

Banned
If for whatever reason you wanted the raw sound file of Dunkey's easter egg in Mania its on the CRF now.

https://tcrf.net/index.php?title=File:SonicManiaDunkey.ogg

Along with a bunch of other stuff.

https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Mania

Real shame if the Scrap Brain Zone assets were actually gonna be for the level and got cut. Not to mention the Super Emeralds.

Metallic Madness
is basically "better Scrap Brain", so I don't miss it at all. It would've also been tremendously redundant since both
Metallic Madness and Titanic Monarch
use elements of Scrap Brain as it is.

xylo

Neo Member
Finished this tonight. Fantastic work really -- so many small touches that really show the love poured into this game. Seeing Gallop, Hornet, Sonic CD warps or even hearing the Revenge of Shinobi shuriken deflection sound effects. All great stuff.

Final zone level layout was crap though. Hated it.

Gradon

Is this a good first Sonic game? I own a bunch but haven't played them much... this one seems to have hype.

It's full of fan service, a lot of references will be lost on you. I'd personally suggest starting from 1. 2 or 3+K but those aren't on modern hardware. :/

MrBadger

Is this a good first Sonic game? I own a bunch but haven't played them much... this one seems to have hype.

I'd say so. The game has a lot of references to past games but that won't detract from the experience. This game's essentially the best qualities from the old games but refined for a modern audience.

Stevey

It's full of fan service, a lot of references will be lost on you. I'd personally suggest starting from 1. 2 or 3+K but those aren't on modern hardware. :/

They're on the Mega Drive/Genesis collection on STEAM, cant imagine you'd need a powerful PC to run them.

jedezel

Neo Member
and that game in Chemical Plant. Never played it before and I don't think it has any place in the game, especially as the boss. Those stages deserved better.

I think that it was a great reference (
Dr Robotnik Mean Bean Machine
if you do not know the game) and showed how the team really loved the Sonic franchise as a whole.

Top Bottom