• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms more PC ports are coming, because it's making a ton of money

gokurho

https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-confirms-more-pc-ports-are-coming-because-its-making-a-ton-of-money/

• Q1 FY21 - ¥47,161 ($385.8 million)
  • Q2 FY21 - ¥41,356 ($303.2 million)
  • Q3 FY21 - ¥47,351 ($347.2 million)
  • Q4 FY21 - ¥51,702 ($379.1 million
  • Q1 FY22 - ¥60,478 ($443.6 million)
  • Q2 FY22 - ¥54,508 ($399.8 million)
  • Q3 FY22 - ¥82,031 ($601.7 million)
  • Q4 FY22 - ¥142,900 ($1.048 billion)
This is crazy how much they earn from Pc gaming, we can expect A LOT more ps exclusive games in the future

Great times ahead!
These are sales of OTHERS, the majority of the increase coming from PSVR2, not PC

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sony would be a fool to not get their piece of the pie from PC gaming. It's no man's land there, and you can get money from multiple sources.

They just need to get better with their ports.

GHG

Gold Member
I hope they've learnt their lesson from the last of us part 1 and won't repeat it.

I want to get it for the upcoming first person mod but I'll wait for it to be as cheap as possible due to the state of the port.

splattered

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

I have been saying it for quite sometime here this PC port cycle will get shorter and shorter until day and date, just too much money there for them to ignore.
Same. I do feel like it's coming a little quicker than I thought it would though.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not a concern at present, but they do need to at least consider the impact on console sales and the revenue from that ecosystem of third party titles, and thier iron grip on the lead in that area. Not sure how they are calculating the "value" per lost console customer long term.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We have too much money for them to ignore.
Eh. It’s not that much.

resize

They released like 8 new games this fiscal year and their projection was only $300 million. Even then we don’t know if we met it because the numbers on steam are way lower than they were for horizon and gow.

1. God of War - 73,529
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered - 66,436
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn - 56,557
  4. The Last of Us Part I - 36,496
  5. Days Gone - 27,450
  6. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 13,539
  7. Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection - 10,851
  8. Returnal - 6,691
  9. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 610
If we extrapolate sales data from those max concurrent users, we can assume Last of Us will make around $25 million. Miles around $12 million. Uncharted around $10 million. Returnal $6 and Sackboy under a million.

Even if the ROI for these games is great, it's just not worth it unless they do day one releases and hope they do Hogwarts and Elden Rings numbers on PC which is very unlikely. Id rather Sony contract these studios to help develop first party games faster. They apparently only have Spiderman 2 set to release this fiscal year and are admitting they wont sell as much as they did last year. Clearly, the PC focus isnt helping them much and they need their console titles to ship on time where they actually sell $240-300 million in 3 days.

Spider Man 2 no but give it some more time and I would not rule out anything

Multiplayer live service will be day and date eventually. Single player blockbusters? Probably not for a while, if ever. Sony will always have exclusive console games for a period. Maybe that period could be shortened to 6 months at best.

Last edited:

feynoob

Eh. It’s not that much.

resize

They released like 8 new games this fiscal year and their projection was only $300 million. Even then we don’t know if we met it because the numbers on steam are way lower than they were for horizon and gow.

1. God of War - 73,529
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered - 66,436
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn - 56,557
  4. The Last of Us Part I - 36,496
  5. Days Gone - 27,450
  6. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 13,539
  7. Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection - 10,851
  8. Returnal - 6,691
  9. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 610
If we extrapolate sales data from those max concurrent users, we can assume Last of Us will make around $25 million. Miles around $12 million. Uncharted around $10 million. Returnal $6 and Sackboy under a million.

Even if the ROI for these games is great, it's just not worth it unless they do day one releases and hope they do Hogwarts and Elden Rings numbers on PC which is very unlikely. Id rather Sony contract these studios to help develop first party games faster. They apparently only have Spiderman 2 set to release this fiscal year and are admitting they wont sell as much as they did last year. Clearly, the PC focus isnt helping them much and they need their console titles to ship on time where they actually sell $240-300 million in 3 days.
The difference is that these games exhausted their sales long time ago, and the port cost is much cheaper.
If Sony wants huge sale numbers, then drop it day1.

Mr.Phoenix

I have been saying it for quite sometime here this PC port cycle will get shorter and shorter until day and date, just too much money there for them to ignore.
That will just never happen. If anything, the amount of money they make from being able to release their games at full price on the PC a year or two after just further solidifies their position to continue what they are doing.

But more importantly, its the way sony is structured, they do not only have a lot to gain or are better off keeping the majority of their games as timed exclusives to validate their primary market, but its also that they seem to have studios whose job it is to make these PC ports. And those guys typically don't start on those ports properly until after the game has released on the console.

and lastly, I think if there is one thing Sony is learning from Xbox, its why you do not release all your games on console and PC simultaneously. It honesty gives people a reason to not have to buy your console.

And before people start saying that thing about how releasing on PC doesn't affect console sales, I will counter with the fact that what we say on forums like these is not reflective of the actual market. These forums would have you believe that everyone that owns a PC has a 4090 and as such will never consider a console, when in truth there are tons of people that only have a laptop, a mini PC or some family store-built computer with a 1060 or something... those are people that are more likely to spend $399 buying a console than to spend $800 on a GPU alone.

SlimySnake

The difference is that these games exhausted their sales long time ago, and the port cost is much cheaper.
If Sony wants huge sale numbers, then drop it day1.
I just dont think that the demand for games Sony makes is there on PC. PC gamers dont typically care for action adventure games.

Dropping games day 1 will undoubtedly increase sales but I've seen games from Rockstar release 1-2 years after launch and post massive numbers. Dark Souls famously or infamously released in a broken state what a year or two after launch on consoles and became a massive success forcing from to release sequels day one on PC. But that first one released after they had 'exhausted' console sales and it just happened to catch a massive fanbase on PC. Sony has released almost a dozen games on PC so far and none of managed that level of success.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Meanwhile in the link:

"It's impossible to say exactly how much of the jump can be attributed directly to PC game sales."

PSVR2 was also included in the Q4 2022 results....

splattered

That will just never happen. If anything, the amount of money they make from being able to release their games at full price on the PC a year or two after just further solidifies their position to continue what they are doing.

But more importantly, its the way sony is structured, they do not only have a lot to gain or are better off keeping the majority of their games as timed exclusives to validate their primary market, but its also that they seem to have studios whose job it is to make these PC ports. And those guys typically don't start on those ports properly until after the game has released on the console.

and lastly, I think if there is one thing Sony is learning from Xbox, its why you do not release all your games on console and PC simultaneously. It honesty gives people a reason to not have to buy your console.

And before people start saying that thing about how releasing on PC doesn't affect console sales, I will counter with the fact that what we say on forums like these is not reflective of the actual market. These forums would have you believe that everyone that owns a PC has a 4090 and as such will never consider a console, when in truth there are tons of people that only have a laptop, a mini PC or some family store-built computer with a 1060 or something... those are people that are more likely to spend $399 buying a console than to spend $800 on a GPU alone.

I'm sorry but you are not in control of Sony and you cannot tell the future... as time goes on they will obviously continue to analyze trends. See how much money is made on a game and what that game actually is and when it originally released etc. There is a nice big chunk of additional money to be made on PC ports as they release their games. They have been staffing up with studios and employees to be able to support a PC port future. The writing is on the wall... and yeah one day we will most likely see day and date 1st party games. They are finally realizing it makes way too much money to ignore and hedge their bets on console the ecosystem alone.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Not sure I follow you, did you not just counter your own argument?

feynoob

I just dont think that the demand for games Sony makes is there on PC. PC gamers dont typically care for action adventure games.

Dropping games day 1 will undoubtedly increase sales but I've seen games from Rockstar release 1-2 years after launch and post massive numbers. Dark Souls famously or infamously released in a broken state what a year or two after launch on consoles and became a massive success forcing from to release sequels day one on PC. But that first one released after they had 'exhausted' console sales and it just happened to catch a massive fanbase on PC. Sony has released almost a dozen games on PC so far and none of managed that level of success.
Until Sony treats PC like MS is doing, they wont pay that much attention to it.
Plus PC is competitive place unlike consoles.
MS and Sony games sell the system, but not on PC. They have to compete with all these games on PC.

nial

I can't imagine they decided to bring returnal and sackboy BEFORE bloodborne. like wtf.
100 people play sackboy
300 people play returnal.
They're not going to port PS4-only games anymore, it would need to have a PS5 version.

SlimySnake

Bloodborne would crash the whole site.

But Jimbo be like ”Who want’s to play that” 😜
Just an FYI, BB sold only around 3 million last we heard. Never got anymore figures after that and the game was selling for $6 by summer 2018 on PSN. It was a decent success but not a huge one. I dont know for sure if it will be huge success on PC. It will probably do sekiro numbers instead of DS or Elden Rings numbers.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I honestly keep buying them even though I don't find them that impressive and have only finished Miles Morales out of the 4 I have purchased. Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 I just found kind of boring - I may go back to Uncharted 4 but HZD no way. I only just started TLOU part I so maybe that is unfair but it feels very similar in structure to Uncharted so far and I can see myself quitting before I get to the end and just watching the show instead.
The passion that playstation gamers have for these games is doing all the heavy lifting for pushing these sales numbers - it's free advertising and I can't help but want to see what I have been missing and they are pretty decent in-between the cut scenes and on rails pseudo cut scenes. I even quit Miles Morales for a couple of weeks when they made me do that flashback going to see the science project. I understand that in a movie that would work but in a game I just found it insanely frustrating.

Topher

Gold Member
I still dont understand why they wont port Demon souls and Bloodborne to pc
Sales would explode

It really is bizarre. I'd have thought those would be among the first to be on PC considering the number of Souls fans there.

Flutta

Banned
Just an FYI, BB sold only around 3 million last we heard. Never got anymore figures after that and the game was selling for $6 by summer 2018 on PSN. It was a decent success but not a huge one. I dont know for sure if it will be huge success on PC. It will probably do sekiro numbers instead of DS or Elden Rings numbers.
I heard 2mil even... but you're prob right!

I have never seen a game being port begged like BB. I'm 100% confident that it will do crazy numbers that exceeds both BB on PS4 and dare I say even DS1. The souls community is huge on PC specially after Elden Ring, and also let's not forget about all the double dippers (me included).

HTK

Banned
Let’s keep in mind when it comes to porting none of the games so far were in development with PC in mind so it was probably a bit challenging for the porting studios.

However some of the newer projects in dev are probably considering PC from the get go I know Naughty Dog said they are. I expect PC ports to only get better and better.

X-Wing

I still dont understand why they wont port Demon souls and Bloodborne to pc
Sales would explode

That can be said about so many other games though.
The probably have metrics to decide which games to port and which don't.

daninthemix

This is because Sony largely chases the 'event' videogame. And once the event has passed, so does much of the hype / appeal. Thus, big numbers will only ever happen on PC if they are released during the event window.

Murdok

Who did sony learn from? What about PS Plus? I remember that when Ms announced this, many spoke that it was the end of the Xbox, today they attribute the supposed strategy to the genius of sony. And even these haters say that Ms is good for nothing, imagine if it was good. Bad time for those who like to boast about exclusivities.

reksveks

https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-confirms-more-pc-ports-are-coming-because-its-making-a-ton-of-money/

This is crazy how much they earn from Pc gaming, we can expect A LOT more ps exclusive games in the future

Great times ahead!
Other also includes PSVR2

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I hope so. Then I'll never have to buy a console again! Except whatever Nintendo has got going on because hell will freeze over before they release on PC.

Mr.Phoenix

Not sure I follow you, did you not just counter your own argument?
Nope, read that again...
I'm sorry but you are not in control of Sony and you cannot tell the future... as time goes on they will obviously continue to analyze trends. See how much money is made on a game and what that game actually is and when it originally released etc. There is a nice big chunk of additional money to be made on PC ports as they release their games. They have been staffing up with studios and employees to be able to support a PC port future. The writing is on the wall... and yeah one day we will most likely see day and date 1st party games. They are finally realizing it makes way too much money to ignore and hedge their bets on console the ecosystem alone.
So you discount my opinion or `future prediction` by making your own opinion and `future prediction`? While leading with I don't control Sony and cannot tell the future?

We are both looking at the same facts and data, just arriving at different conclusions, its ok to have different opinions you now?

You say Sony has been staffing up to have a PC port future, we agree, the difference is that I see those ports remaining something that is done 12-24 months after their console release and you are saying its geared up for a day and date release. You are saying money is there to be made, also,I agree, however, I do not see a word where a company whose primary gaming business is making consoles would make its software available on PC the same day and date as the consoles... they simply have more to lose doing that than to gain.

Look at it this way, say Sony releases a game on both PS5 and PC, now say in scenario A, the PC game comes 24 months after the console version, the console version sells, 10M and PC version sells 2M. Scenario B they release the same day and date, the Console version sells 8M PC version sells 6M.

Scenario B has Sony selling more copies of their game... but Sony will choose scenario A every single time if that means they also sold 1M more consoles. Think about that.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Great times ahead!
You should add a disclaimer in the OP that this revenue is not entirely from PC sales.

This 'Other' segment includes revenue PS VR and PS VR 2 as well. This is the reason why Q4 FY22 is suddenly so high because PS VR 2 launched in this quarter.

Mr.Phoenix

Finally, someone says it. BB is just one of those forum hype stuff that is not in one with what's out there in the real world. If that game had sold like 10M copies Sony would have done a remake of it already. At this point if or when they do it its just going to be fan service.

Top Bottom