• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms more PC ports are coming, because it's making a ton of money

SNG32

PC and PS day and date will be live service games requiring large player bases and The Show franchise. Sony wouldn't have the likes of Spider-Man 2 release on PC the same day as PS5.
They won’t but I guarantee the cycle to release Spider-Man 2 will be a lot shorter than Miles and the first Spider-man. I believe they will try one title just for shits and giggles to release day and date and then it will be over from there.

ReBurn

Gold Member
https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-confirms-more-pc-ports-are-coming-because-its-making-a-ton-of-money/

• Q1 FY21 - ¥47,161 ($385.8 million)
  • Q2 FY21 - ¥41,356 ($303.2 million)
  • Q3 FY21 - ¥47,351 ($347.2 million)
  • Q4 FY21 - ¥51,702 ($379.1 million
  • Q1 FY22 - ¥60,478 ($443.6 million)
  • Q2 FY22 - ¥54,508 ($399.8 million)
  • Q3 FY22 - ¥82,031 ($601.7 million)
  • Q4 FY22 - ¥142,900 ($1.048 billion)
This is crazy how much they earn from Pc gaming, we can expect A LOT more ps exclusive games in the future

Great times ahead!
Those revenue numbers are not all from PC sales. Total game software sales last quarter was $439.6 million and was up $37 million year over year. That's high single digits with some percentage of that being PC sales. The interesting thing is the growth in hardware compared to software. Hardware revenue more than tripled but software revenue rose less than 10%. What games are all the new hardware owners playing? Or did existing owners buy fewer games?

SNG32

Eh. It’s not that much.

resize

They released like 8 new games this fiscal year and their projection was only $300 million. Even then we don’t know if we met it because the numbers on steam are way lower than they were for horizon and gow.

1. God of War - 73,529
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered - 66,436
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn - 56,557
  4. The Last of Us Part I - 36,496
  5. Days Gone - 27,450
  6. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 13,539
  7. Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection - 10,851
  8. Returnal - 6,691
  9. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 610
If we extrapolate sales data from those max concurrent users, we can assume Last of Us will make around $25 million. Miles around $12 million. Uncharted around $10 million. Returnal $6 and Sackboy under a million.

Even if the ROI for these games is great, it's just not worth it unless they do day one releases and hope they do Hogwarts and Elden Rings numbers on PC which is very unlikely. Id rather Sony contract these studios to help develop first party games faster. They apparently only have Spiderman 2 set to release this fiscal year and are admitting they wont sell as much as they did last year. Clearly, the PC focus isnt helping them much and they need their console titles to ship on time where they actually sell $240-300 million in 3 days.
Wtf are you talking about they already made their money on console for these titles some of them you can play with the subscription service. Them realeasing on PC is nothing but extra money for them even with little sales. Games have long legs on PC and it’s another revenue stream for them. I don’t understand why you Sony die hards think that restricting them to one platform is good. The more revenue they make the more games and exclusives we get. It’s a win for gamers giving different ways to access their games is the way. Clearly it’s not stopping console sales for them since they are already surpassing PS4 console sales in the same period in a bad economy.

Last edited:

Fabieter

https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-confirms-more-pc-ports-are-coming-because-its-making-a-ton-of-money/

This is crazy how much they earn from Pc gaming, we can expect A LOT more ps exclusive games in the future

Great times ahead!

Disclamer:
this revenue is not entirely from PC sales

They sure make alot of money but according to the article you posted its not all on pc. It's a bunch of stuff put together.

StueyDuck

Banned
More crappy ports incoming.
I mean I'm sure you know this but apart from the very first one horizon and tlou p1... PS PC ports have been pretty quality, beating out most publishers who consistently release on PC as is. Did you play BF2042 or MW2 at release on PC? You probably didn't because they were both a disgusting hot mess

Is this just a console wars comment. Honestly these days it feels like it generally is just that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I hope they've learnt their lesson from the last of us part 1 and won't repeat it.

I want to get it for the upcoming first person mod but I'll wait for it to be as cheap as possible due to the state of the port.

It’s in good shape now. Don’t blame you for waiting for further discounts though.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I mean I'm sure you know this but apart from the very first one horizon and tlou p1... PS PC ports have been pretty quality, beating out most publishers who consistently release on PC as is. Did you play BF2042 or MW2 at release on PC? You probably didn't because they were both a disgusting hot mess

Is this just a console wars comment. Honestly these days it feels like it generally is just that.
Or maybe every comment get twisted into console wars to a ridiculous degree. It is okay to be critical of a company. It is not always console wars.

kyliethicc

Great times ahead!

Disclamer:
you're ignoring that this other category includes all the sales revenue from PSVR2 and other peripherals

[Sigma]

Misrepresenting numbers. I saw someone on twitter that tried to act like they know what they're doing do the same thing.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Finally, someone says it. BB is just one of those forum hype stuff that is not in one with what's out there in the real world. If that game had sold like 10M copies Sony would have done a remake of it already. At this point if or when they do it its just going to be fan service.
But Returnal and Sackboy got PC ports and extremely more niche Shadow of the colossus for a remake, also souls games are very hot these days and demon souls got a "remake" for ps5.

I don't think it's impossible for Bloodborne to get a ps5 and PC remaster, they're probably just out of resources for such a project and nobody internally is soooo interested. Code base disaster can also be a factor, maybe it got pulled to a team to see if they can do something about it and they just didn't want to deal with a heavy mess of a code base.

What I mean it's that I don't think sales alone are the reason, also 3M on console didn't mean less sales on PC, since that market is way more gameplay driven than PS and there's a chance it finds a wider audience there.

Jada_Li

Banned
I remember reading an article that stated Sony would be continuing to bring PS Exclusives to PC. That's great even with the wait because I don't think I'm planning on getting a PS5 and will stick with PC. I'm looking forward to Death Stranding 2 but I doubt it would be day one on PC so I'll just have to wait much later, but it's not like there's a non existent large library of PC games that are already available. I'm really happy that Capcom does day one on PC, or at least on the titles that I'm interested in the most, Resident Evil.

I would love to see The Order: 1886 come to PC and any hopefully possible sequels. Yes, I'm still very much impressed by that game, lol.

Jada_Li

Banned
I have a few PS Exclusives on PC but I haven't gotten around to playing those yet. I'm still into RE4 at the moment. But anyway I have played Horizon Zero Dawn on PC and from my experience it plays fine as it did from what I remember on the PS4. Of course, not all PC ports are good I'm aware but not all of them are poorly done. I think paying attention to who is working on the port is key, however it's always best to just wait to see others general experiences to be sure. And because computers have many configuration setups, some issues could be related to that and not necessarily the game itself.

So I have Death Stranding which I read on PC is amazing and I have Detroit: Become Human with plans in the future to get Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, God of War, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, and Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

You focus on your core audiance on the PS5, then you look at other streams for SP titles, while releasing MP games simultaneously on PC...Reasonable approach. As long as TLOU Part I port travesty does not happen again, everybody will be happy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Great times ahead!

Disclamer:

I appreciate the small disclaimer at the end ;), but the article is building up a narrative which they then sink a bit with:
It's impossible to say exactly how much of the jump can be attributed directly to PC game sales. "Peripherals" covers a lot of ground including devices like controllers, and the PSVR2 released on February 22, right in the middle of Sony's fourth quarter

This is the period when they massively increased console stocks which normally would lead to more peripherals sales (which is what this counts), they released the higher priced Dual Sense Edge, and they released the $599 PSVR2 bundles… all affecting this category.

I think Sony should take PC games sales outside the other category, it makes no sense. The current PC strategy allows PS customers to receive well rounded versions that take advantage of the console features, then 6-10 months later or so (thanks to the help of support studios that are better at PC ports, like Nixxes) you have the PC port that opens up the game to the customisation and super high spec PC features that customer base wants.

This way PC gamers get a game they can tinker with at 4K@60 FPS with full RT and the studios making the console games do not have to spread thin during development and have time to optimise for the PS5 features (PCMR pushing for day and date release do not quite care the effect it would have on the game studios and the PS5 releases… for Sony to push users more and more away from consoles would be like Apple to push users to Android and Windows, a lot of revenue would be lost… in Sony’s case all the sweet 30% of all third party game sales and DLC’s/micro transactions, etc… it would not make sense while the current pattern is a balanced approach for all).

Buggy Loop

Why not! My PC tower is just beside my Beautiful Bravia OLED connected by Hdmi2.1, using wireless keyboard and mouse, play with DualSense wirelessly. The only thing i am missing is haptics.

Leonardo Fioravanti Surfing GIF by Red Bull

Everyone knows PC and comfy sofa is not a possible combination.

Get that PC back to your desk and don’t you dare try that again

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

Rea

Everyone knows PC and comfy sofa is not a possible combination.

Get that PC back to your desk and don’t you dare try that again
Well, not me. I like to enjoy my PC on my comfy couch. There's another laptop on my desk for general purpose use case.
Robert Downey Jr Ok GIF

Top Bottom