• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Files Patent for NFTs to Allow Transfers Between Games and Consoles

Sleepwalker

Entertainment and gaming console giant Sony Interactive Entertainment has filed for a patent that would make non-fungible tokens (NFT) transferable between different games and consoles.

The patent, originally filed last week, would allow players of Sony products such as its flagship PlayStation to have an interoperable Web3 gameplay experience. Gamers would be allowed to transfer in-game assets between devices such as virtual reality (VR) headsets, tablets, computers and smartphones. The patent application also noted that “In some examples, the NFT can be used cross-generationally (e.g., from PS4 to PS5)"

Absolutely hate to see it.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
NFT is the future.

Master Chief John GIF by Xbox

Patents mean nothing.

Sony filed patents for used game control during the Xbox One prelaunch scandal if you remember. Leading people to believe they would do the same or worse.

Then it turned out they didn't.

Neilg

Don’t they file patents for every possible thing imaginable and plenty of them they never use, and hasn’t that been pointed out on this forum multiple times? Just saying, there may no need for drama here.
yeah. they're just trying to get paid if someone else wants to do this. the department coming up with patent ideas has nothing to do with the team making games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Don’t they file patents for every possible thing imaginable and plenty of them they never use, and hasn’t that been pointed out on this forum multiple times? Just saying, there may no need for drama here.
Yup I believe it's just insurance in case different things become popular

They don't want to miss out on their piece of the pie

SCB3

Digital Games & Content is somewhere that NFT's actually make somewhat sense to have, if you have the ability to resell them that is, its not far away from owning certain CSGO skins and selling them really

UnNamed

Banned
At least this has a little sense.

The reason behind NFT is using them across many digital environments, but for now we had skins for just one GaaS game dropped after 1year so bye bye to your purchase, and stupid monkeys.

In theory you should use your NFT digital good in every game, like a car you can use in GT but also (sometime) in Spiderman or games from other developers and vice versa.
Imagine a NFT character you can use in Guilty Gear, but also in Horizon or CoD.

wolffy71

Banned
He's right though. Here's a patent Sony filed for a pager to receive TV programs info and radio programs info lol there's patents made all the time that never become anything

GmYJKjO.jpg
I'm not even commenting so much on Sony in particular. The whole industry is looking at this and one of em starts making money from them, its gonna blow up.

Lasha

I'm kinda baffled by what this patent does. Transferring NFT between platforms is native functionality. I can't get the full patent to download.

//DEVIL//

Patents mean nothing.

Sony filed patents for used game control during the Xbox One prelaunch scandal if you remember. Leading people to believe they would do the same or worse.

Then it turned out they didn't.
Yeah because they saw Xbox is getting burnt alive earlier that morning and they decided to add a power point slide the last minute to save their asses from getting butchered alive as well.

And when the crowed cheered for the slide of allowing used games, they made a small video 2 after mocking MS on shared games by trading disc.

Obviously this is my guess . But this is Sony, if MS didn't have a back lash they would have been there too. So don't act like they are angels lol 😂

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They should turn their ps1-ps3 games into nfts then they will always have backwards compatibility!

Yeah because they saw Xbox is getting burnt alive earlier that morning and they decided to add a power point slide the last minute to save their asses from getting butchered alive as well.

And when the crowed cheered for the slide of allowing used games, they made a small video 2 after mocking MS on shared games by trading disc.

Obviously this is my guess . But this is Sony, if MS didn't have a back lash they would have been there too. So don't act like they are angels lol 😂

I know you're attempting to seem like you remember what happened so you can make this post, but you clearly don't.

The patent leaked 1 week after the Xbox reveal which was before e3.

No it wasn't at the last second. Used games was an issue since the original reveal.

Top Bottom