• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Group has $5.1 billion to spend on investments/acquisitions until 2024

Loxus

There was no hidden large acquisitions and no moving of funds into the financial division. A couple years ago Sony simply changed their accounting records for their financial statements and switched from GAAP to IFRS, which meant the financial division assets needed to be reclassified. The Financial Division has to hold money in reserve legally as part of their operation, and that's the money in question. Prior to the change in accounting Sony was lumping that money into their cash on hand figures, and afterwards that money was not being included. It didn't go anywhere, it didn't do anything, it's just being reported differently to give a more accurate representation of Sony's actual cash on hand.
It still went into investments.
IFRS 1, Transition from US GAAP to IFRS
detiPOa.jpg

I keep telling you all to bring sources when trying to prove a point.

Marketable securities are assets that can be liquidated to cash quickly. These short-term liquid securities can be bought or sold on a public stock exchange or a public bond exchange. These securities tend to mature in a year or less and can be either debt or equity.

Stocks, bonds, preferred shares, and ETFs are among the most common examples of marketable securities. Money market instruments, futures, options, and hedge fund investments can also be marketable securities.

The value of Sony's Marketable Securities being reclassified as long-term investments doesn't prove my assumptions entirely wrong.

Imma stop with this Take-Two acquisition, cause some people think only Microsoft can acquire something.

Many people don't know Microsoft would have to liquidate their Marketable Securities in order to buy Activision in cash.
4NVR973.jpg

vivftp

It still went into investments.
IFRS 1, Transition from US GAAP to IFRS
detiPOa.jpg

I keep telling you all to bring sources when trying to prove a point.

Marketable securities are assets that can be liquidated to cash quickly. These short-term liquid securities can be bought or sold on a public stock exchange or a public bond exchange. These securities tend to mature in a year or less and can be either debt or equity.

Stocks, bonds, preferred shares, and ETFs are among the most common examples of marketable securities. Money market instruments, futures, options, and hedge fund investments can also be marketable securities.

The value of Sony's Marketable Securities being reclassified as long-term investments doesn't prove my assumptions entirely wrong.

Imma stop with this Take-Two acquisition, cause some people think only Microsoft can acquire something.

Many people don't know Microsoft would have to liquidate their Marketable Securities in order to buy Activision in cash.
4NVR973.jpg

No hidden large scale investment or acquisition occurred. Thinking that this happened 2 years ago and hasn't been revealed yet is ludicrous. You've been provided the answer, choose to believe it or not, doesn't matter to me.

And who are you referring to with all this talk?

"Imma stop with this Take-Two acquisition, cause some people think only Microsoft can acquire something."

Sony most definitely has the resources to buy Take Two if they wish to.

Top Bottom