• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has generated approximately $700 million from PC port sales for the last fiscal year

RyanEvans21

Most people buying Sony games on PC nowaday are probably not going to convert to a PS5 user anyway. That said, I think that's the way to go. They clearly can make a lot of money on PC.
Yup! But bad for sony for releasing their game on PC, Day One! Consider most of their profits come from MTX,DlC And subscription service on their console.

Multiplatform:

Avengers Endgame GIF

Or does it mean releasing years later still works? I can't keep up with the narrative. Some people say terrible sales follow late releases because hype is dead yet here we are.
It only would mean that if you think they're satisfied with not growing beyond it, despite all the evidence in the world being there contrary to that...

It's a simple fact. Sony's investors are pushing for growth. They're not going to grow on the PC platform doing what they are doing... that much is evident.. regarding their SP games releasing 2 years later. They aren't going to remain happy having around 40-70K CCU.. when they know there's clear reasons as to why they aren't having more.

This isn't just "an added revenue stream"... this is an entirely viable platform for them to grow and develop on. They're going to do it.

Most people buying Sony games on PC nowaday are probably not going to convert to a PS5 user anyway. That said, I think that's the way to go. They clearly can make a lot of money on PC.
Precisely. That was never the goal anyway. Sure, it's a residual effect of doing the business. You'll get some people who suddenly like Playstation and may check out the console. But the main goal for Sony's ambitions on PC.. is that they know which way younger generations are trending... they know their traditional console player-base is getting older and wont be there forever. They need to reach new players in new markets.. and where younger players are and how/what they want to play.

This means live service games, it means PC, and it means Mobile.

Sony gamers who love Sony games... should really want Sony to expand and be as successful as they can in all these different markets.

Three

It only would mean that if you think they're satisfied with not growing beyond it, despite all the evidence in the world being there contrary to that...

It's a simple fact. Sony's investors are pushing for growth. They're not going to grow on the PC platform doing what they are doing... that much is evident.. regarding their SP games releasing 2 years later. They aren't going to remain happy having around 40-70K CCU.. when they know there's clear reasons as to why they aren't having more.

This isn't just "an added revenue stream"... this is an entirely viable platform for them to grow and develop on. They're going to do it.
I don't doubt that they want growth but they have both revenue and profit growth doing what they're doing right now (up 17%). The main point of contention is whether they will do a Nintendo and protect the hardware/store business or if they want to push the publishing side instead. It's that simple.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that they want growth but they have both revenue and profit growth doing what they're doing right now (up 17%). The main point of contention is whether they will do a Nintendo and protect the hardware/store business or if they want to push the publishing side instead. It's that simple.
Well, to a much lesser extent than Nintendo, Sony's games are prohibitively expensive to make, and much riskier. I'm not saying the console business isn't worth protecting.. I simply say that it's not going to completely implode because their games release on PC day 1 as well, as some people like to think. I think they'll find it's worth losing a small fraction of sales, to gain and grow a much larger portion on other platforms and markets. There's still valid reasons for owning their console.. it's cheaper. It's built specifically for gaming. It's more curated and in general less issues. There's a large group of gamers to which that kind of experience is always going to be their choice.. and they're not going to lose those people. There's also no other high-end console platforms for people to run to... since MS is already doing the same thing.

Certain people always point to Xbox and say "see, if they do this, that same thing will happen to them"... but they're not being honest with themselves. Xbox is in the position it is because they have a fundamental management problem that Sony doesn't have. The games suffered.. and weren't what people wanted. After over a decade of this shit.. it's shown that they haven't fixed the core issue yet, and thus the console is where it is. Sony on the other hand could be hugely successful, and I think it's wise of them to diversify their platform and expand all in, because like I said, these younger generations do not have the same affinity for Playstation nor consoles as we all did when we were younger. It's simply the reality of a changing market, and Sony needs to be pushing as hard as they can in all markets to remain on top.

Fabieter

it's cheaper.

This is true at the start of the generation where most of the games are cross gen so it doesn't matter anyway, but selling the hardware half way in for 550 bucks doesn't make it cheaper anymore when you add yearly cost of ps plus alone you will get a comparable System for the price of a console 100%.

Lets see where it goes its still a gamble for sony. You can't say there will or won't be a an exodus. Both is simple impossible because markets can be pretty unpredictable especially in this day and age.

It was the time with ps5 in japan were alot of people said its gonna be fine its tracking above the ps4 and the ps4 sales are beyond shitty on the platform. Maybe they are safe with all exclusive going PC even day one but they can't be sure rho.

Last edited:
This is very dangerous let me explain why.GT has hardcore follower lots of them casuals who normally don’t game except this game.They play it for years bey the Console for it all paid expansions subscribe to PSN.So if Sony would be so dumm to release this game especially day one on PC.then these hardcore sim racer players would go to PC because they get most out of it with options accessories and better performance because better cpu gpu.Now Sony would get money for the game but way less than their own store and no PSN subscriptions.This is why Sony will never release GT on PC.

Could be right. I’ve found it strange they didn’t port it considering it’s considered gaas for them.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What about the scenario where Sony won't be putting their games day one on PC in the future?

Perfectly plausible.

Not plausible at all with the budget for the AAA games they’re making, and the current/future climate of console gaming.

again....Xbox putting their games day one on PC accounted for around a 30% loss in console sales. NOW. maybe PS can have their cake and eat it too if they don't neglect their console market/customer AND if the enjoyment of their games on PC will require a 1000 USD PC.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
again....Xbox putting their games day one on PC accounted for around a 30% loss in console sales. NOW. maybe PS can have their cake and eat it too if they don't neglect their console market/customer AND if the enjoyment of their games on PC will require a 1000 USD PC.
How do you know this?

How do you know this?
From a podcast (and I know what you're going to say, so take it as you will)... In the same podcast, they mentioned that the math doesn't add up right now for Sony to release day-one games on PC (according to people that inside Sony - if I remember correctly)

Also we have Shawn's quote: "the squeeze is not worth the juice"

and Herman's quote "GaaS being day one on PS and PC".

From a podcast (and I know what you're going to say, so take it as you will)... In the same podcast, they mentioned that the math doesn't add up right now for Sony to release day-one games on PC (according to people that inside Sony - if I remember correctly)

Your statement that it accounted for a 30% decrease is what he was asking about though.

Gaiff

Talking about the 30% decrease of Xbox console sales being attributed to Day 1 PC releases.

Your statement that it accounted for a 30% decrease is what he was asking about though.
How do you know this?
thats what I replied.

"54:13 about a thirds a half about about 35% of their hardware sales by going PC day and date"

here's a correlation between putting their games day and date on PC and a decline in Hardware Sales I
22:25
I've talked to people who have um who who worked in the industry or work
22:31
in the industry and they've said that um they believe the that that
22:38
Microsoft have potentially cannibalized a third of their hardware sales by
22:43
putting their games day on date on
22:48
PC ...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If Sony only sells 50 million ps6 units because everyone switched to pc, will they call it a failure?

Anyhow, I like the idea of all games on one machine, but the lack of console like experience still on pc makes me less happy.
Sometimes I just want games to work. I don't want anti cheat to stop the loading, or the overlay to glitch overtop of my full-screen game, or crash out to windows. Or even easily turn on my pc with my controller......
For context, I have one of my pc's hooked to a tv and seem to be constantly reaching for the keyboard/mouse.

Anyhow, that my rant, so I'm torn.

nial

I'd be surprised if Concord isn't being considered for day 1 this year.
Considering Concord is supposed to be a live service game (right?) that will almost guaranteed be a day 1 on PC.
That's true. I should have specified their single player games. Helldivers 2 pretty much ensured MP games will be day one on PC.
This decision was already made back in 2022, and heck, a lot of folks (myself included) were talking about GAAS releasing day and date on PC way before this interview came out.
Just to be clear, Helldivers 2's big success on PC didn't have any effect regarding the platforms of their live service initiative.
Concord also had a teaser trailer that confirmed a PC release, btw.

Last edited:
thats what I replied.

"54:13 about a thirds a half about about 35% of their hardware sales by going PC day and date"

here's a correlation between putting their games day and date on PC and a decline in Hardware Sales I
PC ...

LOL... come on man... you're better than this.

Last edited:

Gaiff

thats what I replied.

PC ...

Who’s this guy?

That means less than nothing and there is zero evidence of that.
The evidence that we have is Xbox's current situation. (you don't destroy your brand just by making one mistake)

and clearly putting games day one on PC + Play anywhere + Game Pass, didn't make Xbox stronger in any way.

what I am saying is this (as with any insight from people like this):

You listen to such statements as "Game Pass Increase sales/viral marketing"

ok... You ask yourself... Does that make sense?

In the case of the day one on PC Cannibalizing Console Sales.

From a logical point of view , of course that makes sense.

and since Xbox took that strategy, Xbox has stopped reporting console sales and changed its growth metrics to MAU and engagement... remember?

The percentage is almost trivial because reality shows an Xbox that's weaker than ever.

The evidence that we have is Xbox's current situation. (you don't destroy your brand just by making one mistake)

and clearly putting games day one on PC + Play anywhere + Game Pass, didn't make Xbox stronger in any way.

what I am saying is this (as with any insight from people like this):

You listen to such statements as "Game Pass Increase sales/viral marketing"

ok... You ask yourself... Does that make sense?

In the case of the day one on PC Cannibalizing Console Sales.

From a logical point of view , of course that makes sense.

and since Xbox took that strategy, Xbox has stopped reporting console sales and changed its growth metrics to MAU and engagement... remember?

The percentage is almost trivial because reality shows an Xbox that's weaker than ever.

Your argument against a poor argument doesn't make your argument strong.

Xbox is not down 30% this generation.

What reduction in sales they have, you're attributing it to a narrative rather than evidence.

Was it PC Day 1? Was it GamePass Day 1? Was it PC GamePass Day 1? Was it a lack of quality titles? Was it a lack of compelling reasons to move from X1 to XBS? Was it Microsoft's general mismanagement?

What percent of declining sales (again not 30 percent) is attributable to each factor?

Your argument isn't that Xbox is in decline, which would be accurate. Your argument is that Xbox is in decline 30 percent (again not accurate) and that the decline is entirely due to PC Day 1. For which there is no evidence.

Your argument against a poor argument doesn't make your argument strong.

Xbox is not down 30% this generation.

What reduction in sales they have, you're attributing it to a narrative rather than evidence.

Was it PC Day 1? Was it GamePass Day 1? Was it PC GamePass Day 1? Was it a lack of quality titles? Was it a lack of compelling reasons to move from X1 to XBS? Was it Microsoft's general mismanagement?

What percent of declining sales (again not 30 percent) is attributable to each factor?

Your argument isn't that Xbox is in decline, which would be accurate. Your argument is that Xbox is in decline 30 percent (again not accurate) and that the decline is entirely due to PC Day 1. For which there is no evidence.
that's not my argument:
again....Xbox putting their games day one on PC accounted for around a 30% loss in console sales. NOW. maybe PS can have their cake and eat it too if they don't NEGLECT their console market/customer AND if the enjoyment of their games on PC will require a 1000 USD PC.

Topher

Gold Member
thats what I replied.

PC ...

Microsoft stopped releasing sales numbers in 2015 so personally I would want to know who these people who supposedly "worked in the industry" are before referencing this is as source. Frankly, sounds like nothing more than speculation.

BigLee74

Money talks. Games are so expensive to produce these days, it makes sense to release them on as many systems as possible.

Exclusives are on the way out. They will likely exist as some kind of timed exclusive on the home platform (6 months perhaps) but will eventually be released to all.

Xbox are pioneers, Sony are following. We will all be one big happy family before you know it!

Microsoft stopped releasing sales numbers in 2015 so personally I would want to know who these people who supposedly "worked in the industry" are before referencing this is as source. Frankly, sounds like nothing more than speculation.
that's the source. but I don't think people understand the point tho:

"day and date on PC has an impact on hardware sales"

is like saying:
"Game pass has an impact on software sales"

the statement of the video is similar to Jeff grubb saying "Hi-Fi underperformed" (you take it as you will) Does it make sense, is it logical?

The given percentage is basically irrelevant because it can be substituted with "significant", "a chunk", "meaningful"...

and at the end of the day we have the outcome of that whole strategy...

Topher

Gold Member
that's the source. but I don't think people understand the point tho:

"day and date on PC has an impact on hardware sales"

is like saying:
"Game pass has an impact on software sales"

the statement of the video is similar to Jeff grubb saying "Hi-Fi underperformed" (you take it as you will) Does it make sense, is it logical?

The given percentage is basically irrelevant because it can be substituted with "significant", "a chunk", "meaningful"...

and at the end of the day we have the outcome of that whole strategy...

I think everyone understands that there is some impact to sales. The question is how much. We need actual data to determine if the impact is significant or not and we don't have that.

I think everyone understands that there is some impact to sales. The question is how much. We need actual data to determine if the impact is significant or not and we don't have that.
and MS is to blame for that. and we only can assume: "If MS is not reporting its numbers, it has to be because those numbers are not pretty".

but as I said in my original comment, maybe Sony can have success where MS failed, because MS made more mistakes than just putting their games day one on PC.

A lot of people are speculating that the decision to put games on PC on day one will be announced in the strategy meetings or whatever Sony has planned this month.

ProtoByte

I think the segment of gamers who will decide against buying a PlayStation console due to PC ports is relatively small. Primarily that will be people like me who game on both PC and consoles. If Sony's PC porting strategy remains as it is many of those will choose to buy PS rather than wait for ports. That has to be weighed against the expanded customer base on PC, but I agree it will take some time to measure the full impact of this strategy.

The problem I have with the Microsoft comparison is the fact that Xbox One was a disaster in its very conception. We have to backtrack several years prior to the first Xbox PC port to get to those "deep rooted" issues. By the time PC ports came around, the damage was already done. PlayStation is not in a similar situation as Xbox One was in any way. So I just see more dissimiliarites than similarities.

Things don't have to happen in the exact same sequence for the result to be similar.

Putting your first party games on other platforms devalues your own. That means that there's going to be a significant segment that doesn't engage with your platform as much if at all given the choice, and it means there's a narrative that says "there's no reason to buy x". The second someone, anyone can make that legitimate claim, you've lost perceived value. Even people who have no intention of moving over the PC will just see the first party platform as less valuable and less exciting.

And then there's the production side disruption. There's already speculation on this forum that Sony's games have been or will be compromised by the "necessity" to make PC ports easier down the line. If they go day and date, the ceiling for technical polish that these games used to enjoy will get lower.

And for what? It's not like anyone who has a strong enough PC to justifiably want to play games there as opposed to PlayStation didn't have "access" or something. You're not increasing the audience size, you're spreading it out. Do people not realize that third party games on everything down to a toaster rarely sell better than the heavy hitters exclusive on PS4 did?

and MS is to blame for that. and we only can assume: "If MS is not reporting its numbers, it has to be because those numbers are not pretty".

but as I said in my original comment, maybe Sony can have success where MS failed, because MS made more mistakes than just putting their games day one on PC.

Topher

Gold Member
Things don't have to happen in the exact same sequence for the result to be similar.

Putting your first party games on other platforms devalues your own. That means that there's going to be a significant segment that doesn't engage with your platform as much if at all given the choice, and it means there's a narrative that says "there's no reason to buy x". The second someone, anyone can make that legitimate claim, you've lost perceived value. Even people who have no intention of moving over the PC will just see the first party platform as less valuable and less exciting.

And then there's the production side disruption. There's already speculation on this forum that Sony's games have been or will be compromised by the "necessity" to make PC ports easier down the line. If they go day and date, the ceiling for technical polish that these games used to enjoy will get lower.

And for what? It's not like anyone who has a strong enough PC to justifiably want to play games there as opposed to PlayStation didn't have "access" or something. You're not increasing the audience size, you're spreading it out. Do people not realize that third party games on everything down to a toaster rarely sell better than the heavy hitters exclusive on PS4 did?

Yeah, there is going to be some devaluation for many who already game on PC and no longer need PlayStation, as I've said. How much devaluation would occur is debatable. But if we are going to draw parallels with Xbox and say the results will be similar then we have to at least recognize the fact that at the time Microsoft announced Play Anywhere Xbox One was already in a FAR worse state than PlayStation 5 is now or even projects to be. If we are saying that the results will be similar in that PlayStation will also be in the predicament of lackluster sales and questions will be asked as to whether Sony even stays in the console market, all because of day one PC ports then I just don't see it. PlayStation is in a much better position to weather that storm.

I think the argument that games being compromised due to day one ports is a much better one. That and the fact that games without day one ports often get delayed which can disrupt financial projections. Adding PC would further make those projections less reliable. For those reasons alone, I don't see Sony doing day one PC releases.

Topher

Gold Member

A lot of people are speculating that the decision to put games on PC on day one will be announced in the strategy meetings or whatever Sony has planned this month.

I would be shocked if they did. Guess I'll be watching that event as well. Hope it is in English.

Why would their PSN money be going away? What are you talking about?

There is coming a future where gaming will be platform agnostic. Especially once we hit the cloud.

When this happens, publisher will look to self platform and you'll only be able to make money from your own production.

This is why I think T2 makes sense for Sony in the long run. Especially if they end up with the FIFA license.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is coming a future where gaming will be platform agnostic. Especially once we hit the cloud.

When this happens, publisher will look to self platform and you'll only be able to make money from your own production.

This is why I think T2 makes sense for Sony in the long run. Especially if they end up with the FIFA license.

Come on man! How far down the road do you think this really is? 2050?

Pretty much. Sony makes a lot of high selling games but they would be very at risk in that theoretical future, without the 30% passive income from tons of 3rd party games. Their games take a long time to make and don't have tons of passive microtransactions and they already operate at lower than expected profit margins with their own closed ecosystem. Microsoft is positioned for that future already at this point with Call of Duty, Minecraft, Bethesda which already operated as a 3rd party for decades, and Gamepass and soon a PC store linking everything together on basically any device. Nintendo is their own thing, but they could sell their 1st party almost anywhere (TVs, PCs, phones), and it costs less to make, and they put out tons of it and they already live without most 3rd party sales except indies.

I think we have 1 more normal console generation from Sony and Nintendo. So if that hits in 2027 or 2028, give it 7 years after that. So 2034 all bets are off completely in my book. I personally wouldn't predict what things will look like in 10 years. Just going to wait and see.

Last edited:

No, technology changes drastically faster than that. Look at the advancement of internet speeds since the 90s and early 2000s. We went from like 1.5mbps to a gigabit in like 15 years.

Look at smartphones and how they've revolutionized the world. The iPhone didn't hit the market until 2007. 3G followed shortly after with speeds of 2-14 mbps. Just a decade later we have 5G which has speeds of 10-20 gbps.

So yes, within the next 10 years the market share from streaming is going to be significant as technology continues to improve.

Zathalus

No, technology changes drastically faster than that. Look at the advancement of internet speeds since the 90s and early 2000s. We went from like 1.5mbps to a gigabit in like 15 years.

Look at smartphones and how they've revolutionized the world. The iPhone didn't hit the market until 2007. 3G followed shortly after with speeds of 2-14 mbps. Just a decade later we have 5G which has speeds of 10-20 gbps.

So yes, within the next 10 years the market share from streaming is going to be significant as technology continues to improve.
Download speed isn't the problem, latency is. And I doubt we are going to figure out how to improve the speed of light anytime soon.

Top Bottom