• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment to Shut Down PlayStation Vue on January 30, 2020

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Today we are announcing that we will shut down the PlayStation Vue service on January 30, 2020. Unfortunately, the highly competitive Pay TV industry, with expensive content and network deals, has been slower to change than we expected. Because of this, we have decided to remain focused on our core gaming business.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good, unload it. Used it through a free trial when it first came out (mainly for Animal Planet and Discovery), as well as the YouTube and other piecemeal "cord cutting" free trials.

I remember why I have not paid for or watched cable TV in over 20 years. Commercials.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
DOn't be surprised if it happens with other cord cutters.

Seriously. I get YouTube TV free monthly offers all the time, even when I used them prior, they still give me new ones. I decline them now since cable TV sucks in general.

The rate these companies like YT and Hulu are giving away the trials for their "cord cutting cable TV" services, they are desperate.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Seriously. I get YouTube TV free monthly offers all the time, even when I used them prior, they still give me new ones. I decline them now since cable TV sucks in general.

The rate these companies like YT and Hulu are giving away the trials for their "cord cutting cable TV" services, they are desperate.
What I mean is that the price keeps going up for their cable alternative services and it reaches a point where cable becomes an option. Right now SlingTV is the best deal IMO, but at $40 a month combined with my internet bill, the cost difference of keeping cable becomes less vast.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What I mean is that the price keeps going up for their cable alternative services and it reaches a point where cable becomes an option. Right now SlingTV is the best deal IMO, but at $40 a month combined with my internet bill, the cost difference of keeping cable becomes less vast.

It definitely comes down to price. Me personally, even when it was cheap when they all came out, I did not want it outside the trial.

Now I don't even want the trials either.

thelastword

Banned
I used this service every day. A fantastic streaming service all around. Thank you, Sony 💗
Tbh, I don't know if you're joking, but from everything I've heard it was a very good service..... Maybe they just could not get the number of subs they needed to get it viable, maybe the roll-out should be in more countries, but copyright and broadcasting rights overseas can be such a hurdle........ I never used it myself, but everybody who spoke about the core service said it was ace......

Cable TV as we know it needs to go though, if I ever become a TV watcher again I'd rather go the Internet route, you have more control, more options at your disposal. Maybe Sony will get back there when this thing takes off, From the reviews I read Sling TV and others were awful compared to PS VUE....

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh that app I put inside my trash folder on me ps4!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Tbh, I don't know if you're joking, but from everything I've heard it was a very good service..... Maybe they just could not get the number of subs they needed to get it viable, maybe the roll-out should be in more countries, but copyright and broadcasting rights overseas can be such a hurdle........ I never used it myself, but everybody who spoke about the core service said it was ace......

Cable TV as we know it needs to go though, if I ever become a TV watcher again I'd rather go the Internet route, you have more control, more options at your disposal. Maybe Sony will get back there when this thing takes off, From the reviews I read Sling TV and others were awful compared to PS VUE....
It was a good service, it did what it was supposed to do, but it had a lot of competition. Many of the other providers bundled free trials with things like Roku, Apple TV and various TVs that it became hard for Vue to penetrate since many people probably incorrectly assumed that it was only available on Playstation.

Heck, even Sony TVs were bundled with Sling TV.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Disney + was going to eat it's lunch anyway
They're two different types of service: Vue was for streaming Live TV channels similar to cable TV, YoutubeTV, Hulu Live, DirectTV NOW and Sling.
Disney+ is like Netflix and Hulu.

Last edited:

dolabla

Never understood why they got into this business anyways. They need to stick to their bread and butter, gaming.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
giphy.gif

onQ123

They're two different types of service: Vue was for streaming Live TV channels similar to cable TV, YoutubeTV, Hulu Live, DirectTV NOW and Sling.
Disney+ is like Netflix and Hulu.

I know what they are but Disney shows is a big part of the reason why people pay for cable & apps like Vue , the only person that I know who used Vue was using it so her kids can watch Disney channel.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Yeah I loved it....the alternatives are bleak tbh.....

John Day

I can see why services are folding, pricing is one issue. Shit i want to follow Cobra Kai but it just doesn’t make it worth paying $16 a month for YT at all.

Netflix and Prime i watch cause i share the lod with brothers, but Disney+ is gonna be kinda though to swallow since it doesnmt allow sharing.

Fox Mulder

I cut cable but wanted live sports and tried Sling and Vue. I have Spectrum internet and they offered a small bundle of live channels for free that I use through an app. The other services can’t really compete with that.

Last edited:

yurinka

Good. PS4 already has YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Crunchyroll or HBO apps, and I assume Disney+ will be there soon too. So we don't need to have a PlayStation Vue app there, we don't need to have Sony spending resources on their own tv app.

Let's hope they now refocus these related resources in global services (instead of in just a few contries as it was the case of PS Vue) and in videogames for everything branded as PlayStation.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Good. PS4 already has YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Crunchyroll or HBO apps, and I assume Disney+ will be there soon too. So we don't need to have a PlayStation Vue app there, we don't need to have Sony spending resources on their own tv app.

Let's hope they now refocus these related resources in global services (instead of in just a few contries as it was the case of PS Vue) and in videogames for everything branded as PlayStation.

Sony even blocked services like sling, spectrum TV, and YouTube tv on their platforms to push Vue. So hopefully this changes.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
it was a good idea. Someone will find a way to make it work. Probably Disney.

Disney is never going to offer a similar service. Live TV is just not something people care for anymore outside of sports, which you can subscribe to individually as well.

Valonquar

Wait, I thought part of the deal they made with Disney for another Spiderman included having some of Disney's stuff on Vue?

waylo

Banned
Vue was an excellent service in the beginning. Cheap, offered a wide variety of channels (good channels), and you could cancel whenever. Eventually though it wound up just like cable. Prices kept going up and up, all while they removed channel after channel. They got greedy.

Also, always thought it was dumb to call it "Playstation Vue" rather than something like "Sony Vue". I guarantee you people who didn't know any better saw the name and assumed it was something that required a Playstation to use. I'm sure that name didn't do them any favors.

Dthomp

Man this is SUPER disappointing. I love Vue, use it daily and love the unlimited DVR space so I don't have to rush to something or delete to make more room. Sling was crap when I tried it early in its time, so it's likely better but I can't get my locals through them the way I do thru Vue, and an antenna is rough in apartments in the times I've tried. I was on the fence on getting rid of it cause I don't watch much, but I like the option to watch stuff live...

Anybody have experience with Hulu + Live TV? Price wise it's pretty much what Vue was, but the 20 hours of DVR seems really low to me.

CJY

Banned
Source

Sad to this this go. I never got to try it because it was never made available in my country, it seemed like a good idea, but I'm glad Playstation will focus on their core gaming business this gen.

They'll probably make more money allowing all the streaming services on PS4/5 anyway and licensing out their media portfolio.

DanielsM

Banned
Source

Sad to this this go. I never got to try it because it was never made available in my country, it seemed like a good idea, but I'm glad Playstation will focus on their core gaming business this gen.

They'll probably make more money allowing all the streaming services on PS4/5 anyway and licensing out their media portfolio.

Without a true al-carte (which the networks are still fighting or have contracts against) hard to see how any of this works out.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I guess You Tube TV crushed it.

I got sick of cable and cancelled it so many years ago. Then I got sick of paying for You Tube TV when they kept upping their prices, and I realized I didn't watch much anyway. I still have a Netflix account for the minimal amount of tv I watch. And honestly, I still think it's a good deal. They better watch it though. Another price rise and the only thing I'll pay for is sports packages - if that.

Top Bottom