• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment to Shut Down PlayStation Vue on January 30, 2020

DanielsM

Banned
I remember when this was going to be a big thing. Wonder what happened?

No al-carte is what happened, the networks have contracts in place to stop the implementation of al-carte in many instances - or the breakout of single member networks. At the end of the day, its very hard for many of the services to really offer the value vs. cable.... there simply is no margin for the provider.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Aside from PlayStation home consoles and obviously the PSP which was ages ago, everything else seems to flop horribly. Add this to the pile along with Vita(which was amazing but no one bought it), PSTV and Move which has no purpose other than being shoehorned into VR. PS Now is surely the next to go unless they go in the Microsoft direction and put first parties on it relatively close to launch.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No al-carte is what happened, the networks have contracts in place to stop the implementation of al-carte in many instances - or the breakout of single member networks. At the end of the day, its very hard for many of the services to really offer the value vs. cable.... there simply is no margin for the provider.
I remember Howard Stern talking about cable tv channels a long time ago. And it makes sense.

He was like "if you let people choose channels one by one, you're going to get like 10 super channels everyone wants, and all the other 100 channels will get hardly any sign ups. The vast majority of tv channels are really worthless but get propped up by cable companies forcing people to buy 50 channels at a time to fund them even if hardly anyone watches."

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
YouTube TV is starting to spam me with their free trial again. I get them once or twice a year even when I tried it in 2018 already for the MLB Playoffs and World Series.

I still pass on it. Wonder if these one's are next, although they keep finding tricks to lock their regular content behind paywalls. Like the new "are you still listening" shit on long videos.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Aside from PlayStation home consoles and obviously the PSP which was ages ago, everything else seems to flop horribly. Add this to the pile along with Vita(which was amazing but no one bought it), PSTV and Move which has no purpose other than being shoehorned into VR. PS Now is surely the next to go unless they go in the Microsoft direction and put first parties on it relatively close to launch.

Funny, I would imagine both EA (EA Access) and Sony (PS Now) generate actual revenue, don't take that to imply I think any of these rental models will be anything other than a small revenue stream, but if you think MS is making hand over fist, I have a bridge to sell ya.

I expect digital sales to continue to be the publishers go to bread winner for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom