• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

Kssio_Aug

Why should they? They are gonna get all the first party Xbox games tomorrow anyway.
Because Playstation players don't care for Xbox games.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

Perrott

Gotcha just dont know what they will / can launch with the PRO to sell it. Unless they have all the previous games from PS5 getting automatic Boosts. They still need a system seller to show off the upgrades not just 60 FPS patches
The much-rumored Horizon: Zero Dawn remake would be my guess.

yurinka

Post-State of Play and even without having the full picture yet (according to Midori, there'll be more first-party titles at SGF), the second half of the year is looking pretty solid and varied:
  • August 23rd: Concord
  • September 6th: Astro Bot
  • October 8th: Silent Hill 2
  • Fall: Until Dawn
  • TBD: Lost Soul Aside
  • Rumored: Gravity Rush 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn (likely at PS5 Pro launch in November) & LEGO Horizon Adventures
Even without a tentpole, single-player release of the caliber of a God of War or Spider-Man throughout the whole year, this might really go down as PS5's best year yet when also considering everything that released throughout the first half of 2024: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin and The Last Of Us Part II Remastered.
There's also Destiny 2 The Final Shape and Convallaria.

Totoki said no "new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year", meaning no Lego Horizon game, no Horizon Online and pretty likely no Horizon Remake this fiscal year. But I think a PS5+PS5 Pro patch for Horizon could be possible.

Sony trademarked Astro Bot back in August, and Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet back in February. So they may announce Intergallactic (maybe Cory's new IP at the Summer Doritos Fest, Gamescom or September's TGS State of Play with a Fall or early 2025 release.

So their 2024 1st party lineup would be:
  • TLOU2 Remastered
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Destiny 2 The Final Shape
  • Astro Bot
  • Concord
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Until Dawn remake
  • Maybe Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet?
And regarding 3rd party exclusives:
  • FFVII Rebirth
  • Ganblue Fantasy Relink
  • Silent Hill 2 remake
  • Chinese stuff

Last edited:

yurinka

Their best studio (ND) is making fucking remakes for 4 years now.
Not true, we know they were working on the cancelled TLOU Online and minimum 2 new SP games.

Sucker punch have nothing to show after 4 years (we know it will be GoT sequel)
Not true, in these 4 years they also released GoT Legends and GoT DC (Ikki Island DLC + PS5 version). We're less than 3 years since their most recent release (not counting their recent GoT PC port made by Nixxes, or the GoT movie they announced).

Bend? We don't know that they are making...
Not true, we know they are working on an open world new IP that follows Days Gone bases and adds MP elements.

GG and SSM are excused because they actually deliverer games recently. Insomniac is making many games but personally I don't like SM that much (it's like 6/10).

We don't even know if any of them will release big game in 2025 or even further down the line. We know for sure they Sony is chasing that GaaS bullshit...
Not true, we oficially know SSM is working on multiple things one of them being a new GoW set in a new mythology, and that Guerrilla is working in minimum both Horizon 3 and Horizon Online.

We also know they have planned DS2 for 2025, like Marathon, and Wolverine as TBA (apparently 2026)

I know that games take longer to develop but they should prepare for that, make their studios bigger - make two games at the same time or something (or buy more studios). They are not doing much and PS5 is still very successful so why they should give a fuck? Especially when MS is so fucking incompetent as their rival.
During the Hermen +`Ryan era they expanded mostly all their teams, and we oficially know that Guerrilla, ND, SSM, Firesprite, Bungie, XDEV Japan, Kojipro now work on more games at the same time than before. And also that teams like Polyphony (they have 4 offices including one in USA and other in Netherlands), Insomniac, Hoursemarque, Arrowhead, Haven substantially grew in manpower. As Bend did with Days Gone or Media Molecule with (the project that was under development or getting post launch development for 10 years) Dreams.

Every generation AAA take longer to make, not only at Sony. People who release games more frequently is because they have more teams/manpower.

Last edited:

John Wick

There is barely anything. This year I used PS5 for FFVIIRebirth and Persona 5 Royal - PS4 game. I'm not really interested in SB.

I will play it again when DLC for ER hits. Sony output is shit (in terms of number of games) this gen.
Then you should exit PlayStation. Clearly judging by your whining you need to be on another platform. Out of all the games that have been released this year thus far and your still complaining I think it's time to move on.

Klayzer

Gold Member
Not true, we know they were working on the cancelled TLOU Online and minimum 2 new SP games.

Not true, in these 4 years they also released GoT Legends and GoT DC (Ikki Island DLC + PS5 version). We're less than 3 years since their most recent release (not counting their recent GoT PC port made by Nixxes, or the GoT movie they announced).

Not true, we know they are working on an open world new IP that follows Days Gone bases and adds MP elements.

Not true, we oficially know SSM is working on multiple things one of them being a new GoW set in a new mythology, and that Guerrilla is working in minimum both Horizon 3 and Horizon Online.

We also know they have planned DS2 for 2025, like Marathon, and Wolverine as TBA (apparently 2026)

During the Hermen +`Ryan era they expanded mostly all their teams, and we oficially know that Guerrilla, ND, SSM, Firesprite, Bungie, XDEV Japan, Kojipro now work on more games at the same time than before. And also that teams like Polyphony (they have 4 offices including one in USA and other in Netherlands), Insomniac, Hoursemarque, Arrowhead, Haven substantially grew in manpower. As Bend did with Days Gone or Media Molecule with (the project that was under development or getting post launch development for 10 years) Dreams.

Every generation AAA take longer to make, not only at Sony. People who release games more frequently is because they have more teams/manpower.
Expert retort from fiction to actual facts.

Eiknarf

Totoki said no "new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year", meaning no Lego Horizon game, no Horizon Online and pretty likely no Horizon Remake this fiscal year. But I think a PS5+PS5 Pro patch for Horizon could be possible.

Sony trademarked Astro Bot back in August, and Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet back in February. So they may announce Intergallactic (maybe Cory's new IP at the Summer Doritos Fest, Gamescom or September's TGS State of Play with a Fall or early 2025 release.

• TLOU2 Remastered
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Astro Bot
  • Concord
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Until Dawn remake
  • FFVII Rebirth
  • Ganblue Fantasy Relink
  • Silent Hill 2 remake
  • Chinese stuff
Isn’t Stellar Blade (Shift Up) Second Party?

I found this

With news that Shift Up signed a deal to be PlayStation's second party, I wanted to explain what that is for those who don't know. If I make any mistake, be sure to correct me:

It's similar to a first party studio in that they make games for a specific platform holder, but Second Party are independent whereas First party are owned by platform holders.

First Party: Naughty Dog, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch

Second Party: Rare, Quantic Dream, Game Freak, (now) Shift Up”

Bojji

Thank you for detailed response but this still don't change the fact that right now there is not much stuff coming from Sony.

DLCs are still part of the same game (like GoT + Iki). Why should I care about ND MP project that never got released? it't their/Sony incompetence.

Development takes longer but gens are still the same length, I will finally see some games I want to play when PS6 is announced...

Then you should exit PlayStation. Clearly judging by your whining you need to be on another platform. Out of all the games that have been released this year thus far and your still complaining I think it's time to move on.

Yeah, Sony is overwhelming us with GOTY quality games, lol. I will keep PS5 around for time exclusives but PC is my main platform and it will remain on this position for foreseeable future.

Woopah

• TLOU2 Remastered
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Astro Bot
  • Concord
  • Convallaria
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Until Dawn remake
  • FFVII Rebirth
  • Ganblue Fantasy Relink
  • Silent Hill 2 remake
  • Chinese stuff
He did say "new major existing franchise titles". Horizon remake isn't off the table.
Isn’t Stellar Blade (Shift Up) Second Party?

I found this

With news that Shift Up signed a deal to be PlayStation's second party, I wanted to explain what that is for those who don't know. If I make any mistake, be sure to correct me:

It's similar to a first party studio in that they make games for a specific platform holder, but Second Party are independent whereas First party are owned by platform holders.

First Party: Naughty Dog, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch

Second Party: Rare, Quantic Dream, Game Freak, (now) Shift Up”
There's a difference between a studio and a game. Game Freak is a 2nd party studio, but Pokémon Legends Arceus is a 1st party game. Bandai Namco Studios is a 3rd party studio, but Smash Bros. Ultimate and New Pokémon Snap are 1st party games.

yurinka

He did say "new major existing franchise titles". Horizon remake isn't off the table.
I don't know what he exactly, exactly meant by his words. But as an example, PC ports could be released(GoWR). So maybe a remake -or being more realistic, a remaster- could be released too.

There's a difference between a studio and a game. Game Freak is a 2nd party studio, but Pokémon Legends Arceus is a 1st party game. Bandai Namco Studios is a 3rd party studio, but Smash Bros. Ultimate and New Pokémon Snap are 1st party games.
1st party games are those published by the platform holder. They can be internally developed or developed by an studio they don't own. In this later case, it's a 2nd party game. Meaning, 2nd party games are also 1st party games.

An studio owned by the platform holder is 1st party. And studio now owned by the platform holder is 3rd party. A 3rd party studio who woks on 2nd party games is sometimes, normally when they do it frequently, a 2nd party studio.

Fabieter

I disagree in 2009 I was waiting for games to come out. Right now I don't have time to play all these games. I just finished SM2 last week. Working on Persona 3 right now. After that who knows I still have the last two Yakuza games I need to catch up on. Haven't played Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, or Granblue Fantasy. Trails through daybreak in July, and Shin magi game coming out soon. Still have to play Ryza 2 and 3. Elden Ring DLC coming out soon. Jedi Survivor still haven't played. Dragons Dogma 2. I'm sure I'm missing some games but I have a list at home because it was becoming to much to remember.

You can basically play 95% of those on other platform. That wasn't possible in 2009!

Doesn't bother me one bit with my huge backlog. Could use a respite so I can work on quality games I've not even played yet, including some Sony first party ones.

Woopah

I don't know what he exactly, exactly meant by his words. But as an example, PC ports could be released(GoWR). So maybe a remake -or being more realistic, a remaster- could be released too.

1st party games are those published by the platform holder. They can be internally developed or developed by an studio they don't own. In this later case, it's a 2nd party game. Meaning, 2nd party games are also 1st party games.

An studio owned by the platform holder is 1st party. And studio now owned by the platform holder is 3rd party. A 3rd party studio who woks on 2nd party games is sometimes, normally when they do it frequently, a 2nd party studio.
Fully agree with all of this.

Woopah

PlayStation mindshare is so strong they can not release a game for 3-4 years and nothing will change.
It's sad but probably true.

Seeing people here discuss that a remake of HZD a game not that old anyway being PS5 Pro launch game.

Brainwashed more than Ninty Fans FFS
Most players just want a steady release of games they are interested in. I don't think they care too much if they are first party or third party.

djjinx2

Most players just want a steady release of games they are interested in. I don't think they care too much if they are first party or third party.
I agree most gamers don't care who makes the game(s)

Sony have to uphold a high bar though with their first party offerings. It's what sold me on PS3 and 4.

They do appear to have been dropping the ball of late.

The internet can move like a hive mind and filter down to dirty casuals. So Sony does need to get some bangers out sooner rather than later regards of first party published games

midnightAI

Sony have to uphold a high bar though with their first party offerings. It's what sold me on PS3 and 4.

The internet can move like a hive mind and filter down to dirty casuals. So Sony does need to get some bangers out sooner rather than later regards of first party published games
Thats why (for Sony) its important that their big hitters are released towards the end of the gen so you can be sold on the premise of high quality games when the next gen is announced.

Hudo

Gold Member
As long as they release God of war and it has Kratos ramming Atreus thick skull through a stone wall and a mountain collapses on him. id gladly wait until 2026.
Ngl, I would actually buy a nu-God of War game just to see that.

Woopah

From a wider audience perspective Somy has been getting out some bangers with Spiderman 2 and Helldivers 2. The other first and third party games this year haven't been quite as big, but still round out the lineup.

Top Bottom