• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is looking for a PC planning analyst to expand on the platform

Flutta

Banned
BloodBorne and DemonSouls… still no ports!!!!! And they want to grow their PC bizzz…. gtfo here. Hermen u monkey.

You want fast growth??
Release your shit day and date.
Invest in games PC players play. MMO’s, WRPG’s, MP shooters, RTS etc etc.
Don’t have your own storfront.
Don’t release broken/buggy games.
Don’t use Denuvo in your games.

Start there and you might see some growth.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
If you dont have an SSD and a decent GPU go fuck yourself.
Its 2023........RTX3060s, ArcA770s, RX6650XTs are all ~250 bucks.
Get a 50 dollar SSD and a GPU that supports DX12U and get with the program.
Relying on CPU decompression when most CPUs have 6 cores and the next most popular is 4 cores, is backwards thinking.

I do. Plenty of people don't have NVMe drives though. I have a mix of NVMe and SATA SSD, and being on Intel 10th gen can only run the former at half speed as well. It's up to Sony, if they want to release games which run like shit for half the market then it won't go down well.

liquidzr0

Neo Member
There will be definitely a shift when the drop exclusives altogether. Most casuals will stay on consoles but they don't buy multiple games a month like the core gamers. So when core gamers leave your platform you will make a lot less money, but they can offset it with a launcher and trophy support/crossbuy.
I somewhat agree with what you're saying but I don't think that the vast majority of core gamers on PS are going to switch to PC.
A percentage might but I think core PS gamers also enjoy the simplicity of consoles, their physical/digital libraries, and the services Sony/PlayStation provides.
Most casual console players will stay on console like you said.
I'm fine with a PS launcher that supports cross-buy and trophies since I don't have any loyalty to a storefront
I feel like on this forum, people think they are the norm and that since they will switch, most people will do the same, which I think is not the case

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I do. Plenty of people don't have NVMe drives though. I have a mix of NVMe and SATA SSD, and being on Intel 10th gen can only run the former at half speed as well. It's up to Sony, if they want to release games which run like shit for half the market then it won't go down well.
Sata SSDs cost the same as NVMe SSDs.
So whats your beef?

Stuck on a 10th gen still gets you random read/write speeds that benefits from DirectStorage greatly.
Hell id think your 10th Gen CPU would be such a huge bottleneck at this point because giving up CPU cores to do decompression probably tanks framerate more than installing a game on a "slow NVme or Sata SSD" and letting the GPU do the decompression.

3_Forspoken_Results_all.png

Fabieter

Sata SSDs cost the same as NVMe SSDs.
So whats your beef?

Stuck on a 10th gen still gets you random read/write speeds that benefits from DirectStorage greatly.
Hell id think your 10th Gen CPU would be such a huge bottleneck at this point because giving up CPU cores to do decompression probably tanks framerate more than installing a game on a "slow NVme or Sata SSD" and letting the GPU do the decompression.

3_Forspoken_Results_all.png

How many games do we have on pc supportingit? It's a bit weird to expect sony to support it when ms can't even do it with their flagship titles and they are seemingly committed to pc and developed the tech to beginn with.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Day and date is coming. Doesn’t matter how much fans cry about it, Sony wants growth.

Bring it on Sony. Open a PlayStation store if you want.

Black_Stride

How many games do we have on pc supportingit? It's a bit weird to expect sony to support it when ms can't even do it with their flagship titles and they are seemingly committed to pc and developed the tech to beginn with.
The DirectX team and the teams making Xbox PC ports arent the same team.
Just think about the DriectX Team brought DXR to PC, but XGS barely uses DXR, just cuz one team makes the API doesnt mean every team is going to use it.
Current only Forspoken, Forza Motorsport and Rift Apart use DirectStorage.

Not many Xbox Games Studios games have come out since DirectStorage 1.2 was released.

Fabieter

The DirectX team and the teams making Xbox PC ports arent the same team.
Just think about the DriectX Team brought DXR to PC, but XGS barely uses DXR, just cuz one team makes the API doesnt mean every team is going to use it.
Current only Forspoken, Forza Motorsport and Rift Apart use DirectStorage.

Not many Xbox Games Studios games have come out since DirectStorage 1.2 was released.

Oh didn't know about fm using it but still that list is small, most games don't need it on pc even on smaller drives tho.

Neofire

This. It's strange how people keep making this argument that if PS exclusives are on PC day one, it somehow devalues the console and console buyers are just going to drop the console and build PCs. Most people like the ease of use of consoles and don't have the time or patience to troubleshoot why a game isn't working on their PC
We've seen it dilute sales on the Xbox for years 👀 and alienate the Xbox users of the sane games. Y'all act like people haven't been seeing this for years.

MikeM

I think particularly with their purchase of Audeze and introduction of PS Link in tandem with their InZone peripherals and the Dual Sense Edge, that Sony is getting serious about not just being in the peripherals business, but expanding that to PC.

Nothing makes more sense to me than Sony implementing VR on PC in order to better utilize budgets and marketing with VR titles as well as sell more VR units.

That being said there are a lot of obstacles involved with introducing VR support on PC.

• Where you sell those PCVR games
  • Porting those PCVR games
  • Monetizing it and linking it strictly to PSVR2
  • Creating PC support drivers for PSVR2
That's all a lot of work.

You basically need to create your own launcher, package the PSVR2 software in there, and ensure the games you port to PC can only be played from that launcher and storefront. We're in very early days here on Sony's PC Strategy. I think we'll see more of this in 2025 with most resources probably going towards PS5, PS5 Pro, and Cloud right now.
I’ll be excited for two things on PC:
- day 1 PS games
- Dualsense/Edge wireless dongle (and far wider game support)
Can't wait till PS5 games are day and date with PC and then all the Sony Ponies will completely change their tunes and say "This is a good thing" when they shit on Xbox for it now
It would probably hurt some aspects of their business:
- cost sharing with other store fronts (i.e. Steam)
- potential loss of additional subscription revenue from those abandoning the PS ecosystem

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Step 1: Port Knack and Knack II as the Knack Kollection at the low, low price of $89.99.
Step 2: Refuse to release any other titles until this amazing package sells 100M units.
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit

I’ll be excited for two things on PC:
- day 1 PS games
- Dualsense/Edge wireless dongle (and far wider game support)

It would probably hurt some aspects of their business:
- cost sharing with other store fronts (i.e. Steam)
- potential loss of additional subscription revenue from those abandoning the PS ecosystem

Day 1 isn't going to happen with AAA SP games.
Not sure if there is enough of a market out there to put out a Dual Sense Edge that supports 2.4ghz wireless in order to put out compatible wireless dongles. Not sure there is enough market to have a wireless dongle model. Most people are just fine with BT.

Sony's primary reasons to incorporate a storefront would be to not only get additional 3rd party revenue through royalties, safeguard their own software sales rather than sell on steam, but to actually increase PS+ subscription base. There are a lot of ways to do this given that PS+ does more than just online. Free PS games, maybe you do 1 free PC game a month, 1 free VR game, 3 free PS5 games (same game as the PC game). I also think that is where free crunchyroll plays a big factor.

120 million Crunchyroll users (10% are paid). The percentage that you could maybe convert by leveraging PS+ could be significant.

LOL , the WORST decision of Playstation. Want Play ours games? Well, buy a PS console. Works for Nintendo and works very well.

Imagine if Netflix said the only way to watch our content is if you have a netflix box... Apple was smart enough as well to partner with even rival to get Apple TV+ on their platforms. They even sweetened the pot by making airplay available on rival platforms...

Companies have to reinvent themselves sometimes and Sony is no different. The definition of PlayStation in 10 years will be drastically different from what it means today.

It won't be exclusively a box, it'll be a platform of gaming across a wide area of devices. More people might "PlayStation" on streaming apps than they do consoles in one day.

Look at cable tv and people cutting the cord... the days of the set-top box are vastly limited. When publishers no longer need a set top box, what happens to console manufacturers who rely on them for content? Nintendo doesn't rely on 3rd parties nearly as much.

BloodBorne and DemonSouls… still no ports!!!!! And they want to grow their PC bizzz…. gtfo here. Hermen u monkey.

You want fast growth??
Release your shit day and date.
Invest in games PC players play. MMO’s, WRPG’s, MP shooters, RTS etc etc.
Don’t have your own storfront.
Don’t release broken/buggy games.
Don’t use Denuvo in your games.

Start there and you might see some growth.

You'd be bad at business.

• Degrade their primary business in pursuit of a new market? Great idea
  • Keep paying steam a percentage AND get no business from 3rd parties?
  • Is there any analysis as to Denuvo reducing game sales more than it stops in piracy? I think Publishers would have this data.

Last edited:

SNG32

They would easily sell more spider-man 2 software releasing on PC then just PS5 day one. Even thought I play on pc the most out I would still buy a console. I find consoles are better if you have people over. Pc is better for personal use.

Black_Stride

Oh didn't know about fm using it but still that list is small, most games don't need it on pc even on smaller drives tho.
Indeed most games dont need it.
But Sony ports are more than likely gonna be utilizing the I/O of the PS5, doing that using a CPU is a waste of resources when you can do that using the GPU.

PSYGN

Cheap, ease of access/use.

PC is a completely different market to console, no matter how people on either side of the fence try to spin it.

Yep. Also a more consistent experience as you know they'll optimize for the consoles (usually). For most people that's good enough.

The only game that keeping me owning PS5 is GT7. I want a cheap VR2 headset because I only want to play VR on that game. otherwise VR would be on my PC.

if this game ever came out to PC, I am a happy panda. Sadly, the team behind GT are very very very slow in development and I do not see them wasting their time to make a PC port otherwise they wont release a game on PS6 lol.

Unless they give it to some other Sony studio, and I do not see the PD willing to do that.

out of all Sony teams, I feel like PD is a separate entity that doesn't even give a shit what Sony is doing. when their game is ready, they release it and everyone at Sony will stfu.
Could’ve gotten it on PS4 and saved $500 plus tax

Imagine if Netflix said the only way to watch our content is if you have a netflix box... Apple was smart enough as well to partner with even rival to get Apple TV+ on their platforms. They even sweetened the pot by making airplay available on rival platforms...

Companies have to reinvent themselves sometimes and Sony is no different. The definition of PlayStation in 10 years will be drastically different from what it means today.

It won't be exclusively a box, it'll be a platform of gaming across a wide area of devices. More people might "PlayStation" on streaming apps than they do consoles in one day.

Look at cable tv and people cutting the cord... the days of the set-top box are vastly limited. When publishers no longer need a set top box, what happens to console manufacturers who rely on them for content? Nintendo doesn't rely on 3rd parties nearly as much.
No offense but that’s a terrible analogy. A terrible analogy. A “Netflix box”? Square peg in a round hole dude

Streaming services DO have exclusive shows only on their streaming platform. THATS the actual equivalent. That’s the argument the guy you’re replying to is trying to make. They understand, like Nintendo, the benefit of exclusivity for business. Like he said “you want Nintendo games? Get a Nintendo console”. Apple TV does the exact same, exact same thing as in “want to watch a prestige Apple TV original? Subscribe to our streaming service.”

Barakov

Gold Member
Sony has been looking to expand in the electronic games market, more precisely on the PC, having launched games such as Horizon Zero Dawn, which recently had its sequel officially announced for the computer, Days Gone, God of War, among many others of its titles. PC titles. Something like this was unthinkable to happen when we go back in time and look at previous generations. However, the PC became a high-yield platform for game developers and Sony, in turn, saw the platform as an opportunity to expand and profit from its own projects and games.

Could it be that in an undetermined future we will have Sony games being released simultaneously with the PC? Only time will tell!

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

No offense but that’s a terrible analogy. A terrible analogy. A “Netflix box”? Square peg in a round hole dude

Streaming services DO have exclusive shows only on their streaming platform. THATS the actual equivalent. That’s the argument the guy you’re replying to is trying to make. They understand, like Nintendo, the benefit of exclusivity for business. Like he said “you want Nintendo games? Get a Nintendo console”. Apple TV does the exact same, exact same thing as in “want to watch a prestige Apple TV original? Subscribe to our streaming service.”

That's not equivalent at all.

Somehow you ignored that there are things like the Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku Streaming Stick.

A streaming service is relatively cheap with minimal upfront cost. Tying your content to a 500 dollar set top box is completely different. You will always have a limited buy in for that.

Your not understanding the difference between exclusive content and exclusive access is bewildering. The access is REALLY important to ubiquitous adoption.

You have to subscribe to Apple TV for Apple content, but if you don't want to keep it, you cancel it. It costs 10 dollars. If you don't like your PS5 or Switch, you're going to go into the hole getting rid of it.

One is a physical barrier to entry, and again, it's why Apple pushed to have the Apple TV app available on pretty much every device, even the Amazon Fire Stick.

A launcher with an integrated PC store for royalties, PS+ premium, trophies etc makes sense. They'd also make 100% of the money from their own games versus giving Valve and Epic money.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If they want to grow, they have to start releasing games on PC more frequently.

They are releasing 1 every 3 to 4 months on average for the past 2 years, so they are really speeding up here.

Horizon Forbidden West coming early 2024 too.

PaintTinJr

My suggested solution to the difficult day one problem for PC, would be to do a two tier Cloud offering day one on PC, but at one price £70/$70 and give the user a B2P license free when they release the game native in 24months or less - basically less time than the cost of them cloud serving..

Option 1: Normal Cloud, use hardly anything of the native hardware.
Option 2 : Get them to install SteamOS, Cloud game does CPU processing in the cloud and locally does rendering with their GPU, with more bells and whistles options than PS5 on higher tier hardware, and with a first full native release landing on SteamOS 6months before the Windows version.

By cutting out a native GPU option for Windows at day one, they help push SteamOS/Linux more for doing their own SteamOS launcher and still retain the freshness for marketing of a full Windows native release 24monts or less after the console version and PC cloud version released.

Top Bottom