• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's President quote clarified, "multi-platform" means PS and PC NOT Xbox and Switch

Sony may shrink the gap between the launches of its PlayStation exclusives and PC ports. Company president Hiroki Totoki suggested in a post-earnings call Q&A session Wednesday (via VGC) that he wants PlayStation to go “aggressive on improving our margin performance,” with “multi-platform” games playing a significant role. He clarified in the talk that, by multi-platform, he meant on PlayStation and PC — not Xbox or Switch.

Well, that puts an end to the "#SonyToo" narrative that we will be seeing Playstation games on rival platforms like Xbox and Switch. :messenger_grinning_sweat: It makes this petition look silly in hindsight, there was never a chance...

uu0feAX.png

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
tumblr_ojdhny4mhm1rwz0doo1_400.gif

Guilty_AI Guilty_AI

"In the past, we wanted to popularize consoles, and a first-party title’s main purpose was to make the console popular,” Totoki said in the Q&A. “This is true, but there’s a synergy to it, so if you have strong first-party content — not only on our console but also other platforms, like computers — a first-party [game] can be grown with multi-platform, and that can help operating profit to improve, so that’s another one we want to proactively work on.

I took that as more of their games will come out on PC. Not necessarily day and date. The article conflates multiple statements because he never gave a duration.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol Releasing Day 1 on PC is just as bad.

He's a moron who has learned nothing from Microsoft's mistakes. You devalue your console by pushing games on a different platform. Doesnt matter if its PC or Switch or iPhone.

We all know where this train leads.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So PC day one confirmed?
No. While that may happen sometime in the future, this quote isn't about that at all.

As you'll notice, those are 2 different statements that the article is trying to put together, creating confusion. It's not a single quote.
  • (1) They want to increase profit margins
  • (2) By also releasing their games on other platforms (PC, mobile, cloud, VR)
It does not say anything about the timing of those releases.

Wishful thinking needs clarification?
You'd be surprised with the amount of bullshit that fanboys on Copium can come up with. My twitter and Youtube timeline was filled with people saying Sony was following MS to release their games on Xbox the day Totoki interview released.

Last edited:
Even if it’s 6 months It would change my buying habit.
I mean everyone is different. It wouldn't change mine even though I also game on a high-end PC.

Some people already changed their spending habits immediately the two year gap was announced. Personally, I'm not waiting any more than a week for a PS5 game I really want to play. It's all up to how much one is willing to wait on a personal level.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Well, that puts an end to the "#SonyToo" narrative that we will be seeing Playstation games on rival platforms like Xbox and Switch. :messenger_grinning_sweat: It makes this petition look silly in hindsight, there was never a chance...

uu0feAX.png

phil-spencer.jpg

GHG

Why are they trying to spin Xbox releasing games on Playstation and Switch to everyone wants to go third party?

Look no further than here:

Xbox are struggling, therefore #SonyToo.

Xbox are releasing their games on Playstation and the Switch, therefore #SonyToo.

It's an extreme form of desperation.

SlimySnake

He’s not suggesting day and date
I see now that is what the writer is claiming which is shitty sensationalist writing, but lets be honest. we know where this is going.

They have already gone day one with gaas titles. Single player titles are next. I dont know why you continue to contradict me over this. Ive been saying this for the last 4 years since horizon was announced. this was the end game. Time has proven me right.

//DEVIL//

lol Releasing Day 1 on PC is just as bad.

He's a moron who has learned nothing from Microsoft's mistakes. You devalue your console by pushing games on a different platform. Doesnt matter if its PC or Switch or iPhone.

We all know where this train leads.
Yup. The Xbox name is trash now and Sony honestly is just following the lead.

As matter of fact I strongly believe Sony forecast is shit is because people are just switching to PC and like fuck it we can wait. Why buy the console of we getting PlayStation games on PC later.

If they didn't do that, ps5 sales would still be sky rocketing just like how the switch is.

Exclusives is makes you buy a console. I can't believe how fucking hard this concept is to the stupid heads. It's like 101 of gaming. Yet all they think of is short term profit while they are ok the chair for the few years they are in to increase their personal bonus. After that if the brand burn to hell they don't care they will blame it on the new schmuck

Lupin25

PS5 + PC day one makes sense for games like Helldivers 2, but then you see Spider-Man 2, GoW, TLOU coming 1-2, sometimes years later?
Why not a day-and-date PC release for TLOU2 Remastered?

Sony needs to clarify their official PC strategy.

Until then, people will continue to draw conclusions.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not surprised at the overreaction nor the over extrapolation of his statement.
The rumor mills have gotten crazy recently, but also you are jumping on this clarification when there is no quote of it in the article or a link to anything.

SlimySnake

Yup. The Xbox name is trash now and Sony honestly is just following the lead.

As matter of fact I strongly believe Sony forecast is shit is because people are just switching to PC and like fuck it we can wait. Why buy the console of we getting PlayStation games on PC later.

If they didn't do that, ps5 sales would still be sky rocketing just like how the switch is.

Exclusives is makes you buy a console. I can't believe how fucking hard this concept is to the stupid heads. It's like 101 of gaming. Yet all they think of is short term profit while they are ok the chair for the few years they are in to increase their personal bonus. After that if the brand burn to hell they don't care they will blame it on the new schmuck
Everyone knows this. But the new CEO and Chairman have no gaming background and all the old guard are gone. Those early PS execs like Ken Kutaragi, Jack Tretton, Kaz Hirari, Andrew House, and even Jimbo who has been there since 1998 is now gone.

The business will now be run by suits who have run the Xbox name into the ground after Seamus Blackley and Peter Moore left.

Darsxx82

It's curious that he would say such a thing when he has games to be released soon announced for Xbox (MLB, Destiny 2 DLC and Marathon)....

Then I see what the source is and that it alludes to a supposed specification that is not in the official transcription where it makes the distinction PS+PC and adds "other platforms" afterwards.

That said, the future will tell, but it is more than clear that the commitment to PC day one in launches will see a boost in the short term.

Audiophile

Gold Member
The day and date PC train for 1P, flagship Single Player is the beginning of the [slow] end for the PlayStation; short term gains in an expected and natural lull being traded for long-term devaluation of the brand, console and ecosystem. This isn't about the fanboyish strawman of "I don't want those other people playing MY games!" but the investment in those games being predicated on Sony regarding them as showcases and mascots for the platform.

Also, not all PC purchases are additive, some will be instead-of and a purchase on PS is worth far more to Sony than a purchase on PC; not only do they lose a proportion of royalties, they reduced chances of maintaining ecosystem exclusivity and PS Plus subs. They lose on double-dippers and they complicate development where devs could traditionally focus purely on getting every drop out of a closed platform/s. They also highlight technical inferiority day 1 (which could be further exacerbated by the previous point).

Multiplat those sports games, PC day-and-date those GaaS games and remasters. But flagship, 1P needs that 12-18mth window of PS console exclusivity or else it's a slow crawl to third party, dwindling ps plus and a defunct platform and brand.

A core fanbase with reasonable extensions will carry you through, start diluting it for the fickle masses and there's no turning back.

Last edited:
PS5 + PC day one makes sense for games like Helldivers 2, but then you see Spider-Man 2, GoW, TLOU coming a 1-2, sometimes years later?
Why not a day-and-date PC release for TLOU2 Remastered?

Sony needs to clarify their official PC strategy.

Until then, people will continue to draw conclusions.
They've already done so multiple times. People just have a hard time accepting it for whatever reason lol.

Their GAAS games will continue to be day and date as that makes the most sense but expect to be waiting nothing less than a year for their PS5 SP AAA games to go to PC until they say otherwise.

I see now that is what the writer is claiming which is shitty sensationalist writing, but lets be honest. we know where this is going.

They have already gone day one with gaas titles. Single player titles are next. I dont know why you continue to contradict me over this. Ive been saying this for the last 4 years since horizon was announced. this was the end game. Time has proven me right.

Read his words carefully, he says there’s a synergy

GaaS is totally different

He’s just saying he wants more titles to come to PC

Time has not proven you right at all

HFW took 2 years to come to PC

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

The rumor mills have gotten crazy recently, but also you are jumping on this clarification when there is no quote of it in the article or a link to ananything.
I'm not jumping onto anything, I am just reading his original statement in context. Sony is already a multiplatform developer, Sony stating they want to do better on that front isn't the same thing as saying "Sony is going to publish their catalog on everyplatform." That's what I mean when I say "over extrapolated".

Top Bottom