• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is shutting down the PS3/Vita PS Store in Croatia on November 9 | Recent transition to the Euro currency is cited as the reason for the closure

Info via the purple forum:

IMG_7816.jpg

Rough EN Translation (not done by me):
"We wanted to inform you about the
transition of the PlayStation™Store to the
euro. From November 13, you will
be able to continue making purchases in the
PlayStation Store using supported
payment methods, including Visa, MC, Discover
and Diners, in euros. If you are using
the free subscription to the PlayStation®Plus
service that we issued to you
during the transition process, we will
contact you shortly with additional
information. Read our FAQ section
for more information about these changes to
the PlayStation Store and more.
With our transition to the euro, which starts
on November 9, you will no longer be able
to make purchases in Croatian
PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita stores.
Thanks for your continued support,
PlayStation"

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Joking aside for the ps3 community, eliminating things from it is wrong when people have invested in that system.

Joking aside for the ps3 community, eliminating things from it is wrong when people have invested in that system.

That doesn't make sense and is a poor take on the situation.

• The PS3 has been discontinued for 6 years
  • This is like arguing Sony should keep making Dual Shock 3 controllers for a device they released in 2006 that generates no revenue and has no market demand
  • Nothing is stopping the discs from working or buying the discs on the 3rd market
  • All the games purchased still work, you just can't buy new games, and honestly, you could probably get passed that with a VPN if you were so inclined
  • All of these games are licensed and priced in the legacy currency. All of these games would have to be renegotiated and re-examined to convert them to euro.
    • That's actually something new
  • Nearly twenty years of support is more than enough for what people invested in the system

Kerotan

• This is like arguing Sony should keep making Dual Shock 3 controllers for a device they released in 2006 that generates no revenue and has no market demand
  • Nothing is stopping the discs from working or buying the discs on the 3rd market
  • All the games purchased still work, you just can't buy new games, and honestly, you could probably get passed that with a VPN if you were so inclined
  • All of these games are licensed and priced in the legacy currency. All of these games would have to be renegotiated and re-examined to convert them to euro.
  • Nearly twenty years of support is more than enough for what people invested in the system
Croatians can still use other euro stores.

Sony should keep the ps3/vita stores live for a few more years at least. Especially with many titles and dlc unplayable elsewhere especially on playstation.

If they manage to port a lot more psp/vita/ps3 only games to ps5 and ps5 premium like they do with ps3 game streaming or ports such as killzone liberation they could close it.

Otherwise they should keep them open until they finally get an emulator up and running which could be the ps6.

Sony should keep the ps3/vita stores live for a few more years at least. Especially with many titles and dlc unplayable elsewhere especially on playstation.

If they manage to port a lot more psp/vita/ps3 only games to ps5 and ps5 premium like they do with ps3 game streaming or ports such as killzone liberation they could close it.

Otherwise they should keep them open until they finally get an emulator up and running which could be the ps6.

Based on what exactly? People have had years to buy this stuff. If it was generating enough revenue to warrant it, they would have.

MarkMe2525

Everydaybeast is for sure some obsolete generative AI. Read post history

CamHostage

I'm confused, is this one of the last PS3/Vita stores for PSN? (Or can you still use PS3/Vita PSN browsers to buy PS4/5 games and that's what they're shutting down?)

Sony had already purged and shut down old game platforms (PS3/PSP/PSV) everywhere I know of as of 2021, so I'm not sure what is happening here unless it's just a delayed action of what's happened elsewhere.

(RIP console backwards compatibility, long live GOG...)

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just bought the Jak & Daxter trilogy on my Vita last weekend. The store isn't shut down. You have to use wallet funds to buy games but you have to fund your wallet from some other store. I don't live in Croatia, though.

I wonder how popular those consoles are there.

Last edited:

CamHostage

About that... they didn't.

Ah, yeah, it's kind of coming back to me now... so, they did pull the web store catalog of older platforms in 2020 and also delisted old consoles on the running hardware (and would only have old games on the servers for re-fulfillment), that happened. And then they had planned on shutting down the stores for all old platforms in 2021, but for some reason they didn't?

I never turned my PSN on for old platforms after the final buying panic so I never saw what is or is not still there. Good to know it's not totally purged, although it sucks that they pulled from the webstore PS3/PSP/PSV (and the original PS1 catalog, although now they have different PS1 games without the PS Classic wrapper... at 2x or more the price.) Sony had such a nice thing going there until whatever happened that fractured their backward-compatibility model when PS4 came around, and it went downhill from there. (They also just ruined the PSN web store, I can't find anything on it anymore and hate using it to shop.)

Last edited:

simpatico

Will they still be able to download patches? That's the real death sentence for modern consoles. Good luck with unpatched Fallout Demon's Souls

dotnotbot

Will they still be able to download patches? That's the real death sentence for modern consoles. Good luck with unpatched Fallout Demon's Souls

They will 100%. PSN functionality stays. Even back in 2021 when Sony announced global closure of old storefronts (which didn't materialise in the end) they emphasized the only thing that is being axed is the ability to buy new stuff. Patches, cloud saves, trophies, downloading previously purchased games stays and hopefully will stay for many years (PS+ Premium streamed titles use the same system as PS3 so probably doesn't make sense to turn off everything for PS3 if you still need it for the service).

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

All of this costs money.

Esppiral

Looks like I am good till 2080, because Hungary will never change to Euro :(
And my main psn account is an UK one since I bought my PS3
You are better not using that trash currency, prices skyrocketed from the very first day it was officially in circulation. I still miss my pesetas.

Top Bottom