• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony prevents JRPG Omega Labyrinth Z from publication on PS4 and Vita in the West

Battlechili

Banned
European-based publisher PQube announced today that the Western release for Omega Labyrinth Z on PS4 and Vita is officially cancelled. The reasons cited was due to being prevented by platform holders. As the PS4 and Vita are Sony products, this likely means that Sony's Western branches prevented a release. When someone commented under their announcement post on this that Sony allowed it in Japan, PQube added that Sony Europe and Sony America are different from Sony's Japanese branch. Despite this cancellation however, they did add that it is not impossible for a Steam release to happen in the future.

Here's the official statement from Pqube:
DgilnYYX4AAGKWN

Source:

Last edited:

Petrae

After Super Seducer got deep-sixed, it shouldn’t be surprising that Sony would do the same to other games that might create backlash or controversy due to content. The company doesn’t want to deal with it.

FranXico

After Super Seducer got deep-sixed, it shouldn’t be surprising that Sony would do the same to other games that might create backlash or controversy due to content. The company doesn’t want to deal with it.

I'm starting to worry that the people in charge of SCEA actually have a certain political leaning.

clem84

Gold Member

I'm not familiar with either game. What is problematic about their content?

edit:

I just googled Super Seducer. LMAO. Too bad we didn't get that.

Last edited:

Petrae

I'm starting to worry that the people in charge of SCEA actually have a certain political leaning.

It’s fair to assume that a significant amount of the video game industry (including most of the press that covers it) tends to at least lean to the left. That said, I think that Sony in these cases is just trying to head off controversy by cutting these games off at the knees instead of letting consumers decide for themselves.

They’re not worth the social media anger and the finger-pointing stories that would come from places like Polygon and Kotaku.

Super Seducer is an FMV game that puts players in various dating situations. Some considered it a “gigolo” simulator. A social media outcry against the game appearing on the PlayStation Store went viral, gaming press picked up on it, and Sony dropped approval for the game.

This title has overt sexuality in it. The screens shared in the localization publisher’s post indicate this.

Last edited:

nowhat

Super Seducer is basically a FMV "game" with some self-proclaimed pickup artist telling you how to get it on with stock footage (the actresses are reeeeally unbelievable). It's still available on Steam if you're so inclined.

I don't think it should have been censored on moral grounds (although, it's Sony's platform, they are free to do what they please as a private entity, so not censorship as such), but I agree with it not being on PSN, because it just looks so undeniably shitty. But yes, "Life of Black Tiger". I guess what I'm saying is I wish Sony would police PSN more, just to filter out the crap.

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
I suppose it's too late for an asian release with English subtitles?
It's already been released in Asia without them, but Pqube did say it may not be impossible to make it like a patch there or something.
That doesn't much help them as far as compensation for their hard translation work though.

Last edited:

Dunki

What a shame. I would have never bought it since I am not really interested however if they ever release it on Steam I will buy it the day they announce it.

Ar¢tos

Why would SCEE be bothered with this? I can literally see real boobs on public TV in the morning on deodorant TV commercials, I don't understand why they wouldn't release this with proper rating. Is there a lot of sex in these games, making them perv titles or is just tease stuff?

They do lean towards "I love making as much money as possible" and are thus rather risk-averse.

This isn't a political decision, it's a business one to shield the brand from negative publicity. Sony has enough of their plate with the cross-platorm stuff, they don't want more negative vibes. The potential earnings do not outweigh the potential headaches, it's coporate being corporate, nothing nefarious.

Last edited:

nowhat

What a shame. I would have never bought it since I am not really interested however if they ever release it on Steam I will buy it the day they announce it.
Does-not-compute.jpg

I mean, it's your money, go to town. But what you're saying is akin to "this product is shit, but I support some purported agenda of the product so I'll buy the product anyway". Which is within your right, as stated. Just that Steam being infested with too much shit has been a running theme for quite a few years now. And you want... more shit in Steam?

Why would SCEE be bothered with this? I can literally see real boobs on public TV in the morning on deodorant TV commercials, I don't understand why they wouldn't release this with proper rating. Is there a lot of sex in these games, making them perv titles or is just tease stuff?

The line between "perv title" and "tease stuff" is getting increaslingly blurred. Perception is what matters here, if the devs see it as "tease stuff" but the narrative is "perv title" then then narrative is what matters to corporate.

The reason this game is not being allowed is because Sony, MS, and Nintendo all forbid games with AO rating on their platform. If a game is likely to get an AO rating (which this probably was), it's why they had to ask to be modified. Since PQ does not want to do it, the game is not coming. We had this discussion years ago about a game coming out getting an AO rating and Sony/MS denied it since neither allow AO rating games on their platform (since it has to be sold behind the counter and other publicity).

Battlechili

Banned
Just that Steam being infested with too much shit has been a running theme for quite a few years now. And you want... more shit in Steam?
Obviously not him, but I don't have a problem with the saturation of bad games on Steam. I use Steam to purchase games I already know I want. Not to learn about games. I have gaming forums and news sites for that. I fear that if Valve were more restrictive, niche games the average person might not see value in could get prevented releases, and I don't want Valve deciding for me what I want to buy.

Also on another note I thought this game looked fun...

Battlechili

Banned
The reason this game is not being allowed is because Sony, MS, and Nintendo all forbid games with AO rating on their platform. If a game is likely to get an AO rating (which this probably was), it's why they had to ask to be modified. Since PQ does not want to do it, the game is not coming. We had this discussion years ago about a game coming out getting an AO rating and Sony/MS denied it since neither allow AO rating games on their platform (since it has to be sold behind the counter and other publicity).
This game was already rated M by ESRB in the US. It was not AO. This has nothing to do with its rating.
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35425&Title=Omega+Labyrinth+Z

Last edited:

Dunki

Does-not-compute.jpg

I mean, it's your money, go to town. But what you're saying is akin to "this product is shit, but I support some purported agenda of the product so I'll buy the product anyway". Which is within your right, as stated. Just that Steam being infested with too much shit has been a running theme for quite a few years now. And you want... more shit in Steam?
I am against censorship and stupid descisions that make it so that people can not play it. I live in a country in whcih it is not allowed to buy Dying light. We had Half Life censored with robots etc. I am tired of this and I will support these kind of games just because. Also I am not against shit on Steam since I easily see the games I a actually interested in. And if you do not want to see some games there are filter options again.

It is all about Choice for the customer not taking away their choice.

MayauMiao

The western politics is the problem here. Blame it on the media like Waypoint, Polygon, Kotaku for perpetuating the outrage. Sony is saving its own skin.

nowhat

The reason this game is not being allowed is because Sony, MS, and Nintendo all forbid games with AO rating on their platform.
I was about to say "bullshit!" but then decided to look it up...

...and what do you know, that actually is true for the US. Here within Europe (most of it, anyway) it's Pegi giving out the ratings. And there's a separate "18" category, that basically means "AO". But those games are sold constantly - Yakuza 6, God of War and Detroit being the latest I've bought myself. Just as a cultural observation, what seems to pass as "T" in the US may very well get an "18" here, if the game is very violent. But if you dare to show any pixelated titties, it's "MA" for you.

nowhat

I am against censorship and stupid descisions that make it so that people can not play it. I live in a country in whcih it is not allowed to buy Dying light. We had Half Life censored with robots etc. I am tired of this and I will support these kind of games just because. Also I am not against shit on Steam since I easily see the games I a actually interested in. And if you do not want to see some games there are filter options again.
I sort of see where you're coming from. But - if your country (Germany? that's the only one I can think of where replacing stuff with robots would be possible) forces those kinds of actions, maybe take it up with the government? The publishers are only following local laws.

But yeah, as stated, if you want to support something that is quite objectively shit (seriously, go look it up on Youtube), go right ahead. I just feel it's a bit counterproductive.

MayauMiao

Please explain to me how Super Seducer is an AO game.

nowhat

It still is BS considering it's not AO.
Oh sure, was just talking about there being no AO games for PS4/One/Switch. That does seem to be true, the last one on consoles to receive such an honor was San Andreas (according to Wikipedia).

Which makes me lose faith quite a bit in ESBR - honestly hasn't there been a game with more violence/drugs/sexual content on consoles since? I beg to differ.

Last edited:

Petrae

The western politics is the problem here. Blame it on the media like Waypoint, Polygon, Kotaku for perpetuating the outrage. Sony is saving its own skin.

Exactly. If this game got published, gaming media would launch an assault on all involved— including Sony. There’s no way that a niche game like this would be financially worth dealing with the controversy it would cause... so it’s easier for Sony to kill it.

Dunki

I sort of see where you're coming from. But - if your country (Germany? that's the only one I can think of where replacing stuff with robots would be possible) forces those kinds of actions, maybe take it up with the government? The publishers are only following local laws.

But yeah, as stated, if you want to support something that is quite objectively shit (seriously, go look it up on Youtube), go right ahead. I just feel it's a bit counterproductive.
Oh I know what kind of game it is and I really do not care. To me its all about support choice and support developers who are getting screwed by it.

As for the German Government. They are fucking idiots they are 60+ and do not understand the IInternet or video games. So it makes no sense to talk to these people in any form. I rather make myself a criminal to play a game like Wolfenstein uncensored (import no piracy) and I am also ready to pay some fine in the name of anti censorship. Stupid? Yeah maybe but I am very stirict in this regard. I will not support any censored game no matter what.

nowhat

Oh I know what kind of game it is and I really do not care. To me its all about support choice and support developers who are getting screwed by it.

As for the German Government. They are fucking idiots they are 60+ and do not understand the IInternet or video games. So it makes no sense to talk to these people in any form. I rather make myself a criminal to play a game like Wolfenstein uncensored (import no piracy) and I am also ready to pay some fine in the name of anti censorship. Stupid? Yeah maybe but I am very stirict in this regard. I will not support any censored game no matter what.
I'm... not going to go into the censorship debate very deeply, but there are two separate roles to consider: one of a government, trying to block access to something; and that of a private company, deciding what they want to resell. You may argue that one of them happens due to societal pressure. However, only one of them is actually censorship. Determining which is left as an exercise to the reader.

As to the second paragraph, as I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money, I'm not going to say how you should spend your free time. Still, as you said your politicians are 60+. Merkel is not going to be around forever. If you want companies to be able to sell whatever they like (well, within reason), political advocacy is basically the only way. Because once the next generation becomes status quo, you won't be heard anymore. Your chance is before the regime change.

Toraneko78

Neo Member

Yeah, but who decides which games are shit and which aren't?
I, for example really like games like Omega Labyrinth.

nowhat

Yeah, but who decides which games are shit and which aren't?
I, for example really like games like Omega Labyrinth.
I guess it's up for the company (Sony in this instance) to decide what they want to sell. The customers (us gamers, paying for their stuff) naturally can and will try to affect this as well. Perhaps the company may sometimes agree with a vocal minority to tone down further public backlash.

But it's not like this game has vanished from existence. You can get it hot and steaming (hah!) from Steam, apparently.

(And for the record, I bought Estival Versus and enjoyed quite a bit. You could call me very tolerant and liberal. At the same time I hate political correctness with a passion. What does that make me? A schizophrenic I guess.)

Nattan

Such a shame, I was really looking forward to it. I guess I need to shell out money for the Japanese version or maybe they can release it on Steam down the line.

Aranea

I'm not surprised about this. Sony America censors a lot of stuff. If you compare the PSN avatars of the America store to the EU and Japan you will notice they censor avatars that have cleavage visible on the USA store. UK banned this game a while ago which is quite surprising as i never expected the EU region to ban this game at all.

The lack of cross play with other consoles, telling me what kind of games i'm not allowed to purchase and other stuff is something i will keep in mind when they announce next gen.

Once again, graphic violence is fine, sexuality is not. Sigh. It really boggles the mind that this has become the standard in the West.

nowhat

Once again, graphic violence is fine, sexuality is not. Sigh. It really boggles the mind that this has become the standard in the West US.
FTFY. Outside the US nudity is much more accepted than violence. Both are meant for mature audiences though, sure.

FTFY. Outside the US nudity is much more accepted than violence. Both are meant for mature audiences though, sure.

Very true. I really should have said the US. Although many other Western countries still have an upside down standard when it comes to this, but not to the extent as the US (a bare breast is evil).

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is disappointing. Sadly we live in an age where we can't even get super cheesy, unbelievable titles like Super Seducer on console without someone throwing a hissy fit over some perceived sleight. I hope they do an English-Asia release for those that are interested in the game. Hope more developers move to this method to avoid unnecessary censorship or idiotic outrage by these overly sensitive types.

Pallas

Not a fan of these games but that’s always a bad thing when the platform holder decides for you. I mean the game isn’t even rated AO, I guess it’ll have to be as big as GTAV to avoid this censorship. Rip

DiscoJer

Somewhere Tipper Gore is cackling in glee. She might have lost the battle in the 1980s, but evidently she and her ilk have won the war.

JordanN

Banned
Let the free market decide, Sony!

Honestly, why are we empowering people who would never even buy these games to begin with? Let them write a thousand screeching blog posts, but still sell the game to the people who want it.

Last edited:

nowhat

Let the free market decide Sony!
I'll play the devil's advocate here: had this game been released in the West, most of the PS4 owning public would have been completely oblivious or indifferent to it. There would be a vocal minority that would laud the decision. And there would be at least as vocal minority (not trying to guess which would be bigger - they'd both be loud and annoying) decrying the whole thing. Corporations err on the side of caution when it comes to PR, less noise the better. So in a way, didn't the free market (Sony is not a charity but a corporation trying to make a profit) already decide?

kunonabi

Not a fan of these games but that’s always a bad thing when the platform holder decides for you. I mean the game isn’t even rated AO, I guess it’ll have to be as big as GTAV to avoid this censorship. Rip
Yeah, if this was a bigger publisher they wouldn't dare pull this crap. The whole situation is just gross.

Barakov

Do not like this one bit. It's never good when a platform holder decides that you can't have this game for such and such reason. Honestly, it's their choice and what not but the platform holder shouldn't be making these types of decisions. Hopefully, they're able to release it on steam.

Aranea

Yup if this was Grand Theft Auto i doubt that Sony or Microsoft would block the game. A little off topic but is good to see this type of topic being allowed to be discussed here, just checked the other place and the topic was closed because "we don't allow discussion on this type of game".

Top Bottom