• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says no AAA third party devs can make a game that rivals COD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldergamer

Right, I too dont think that was the sole motivating factor. Its pretty obvious though that both sony and Microsoft will do things within there power to stop the competiton taking away quality 3rd party content.

Im quite surprised by the scope sony is implementing its studio expansion.
Jim Ryan criticised Microsoft for aquiring large development houses and then they aquire bungie and possibly eyeing japan Square.
Similar to believing in generations and making next gen content. Only to later reveal ps4 built games.

Whats the point of being in business if you can't make purchases/deals to put you ahead of your competition? Why would Sony's lack of ability to create an ecosystem like COD's have any impact on this deal getting approved or not?
Sony, like Xbox, lacked the ability to create an ecosystem like COD. Xbox said, "fuck it... If you can't beat' em, buy em"

But it's not like Sony isn't also making deals for a COD "like" ecosystem, that's what Bungie is for. Sony being against the purchase is smart "maneuvering" basically. If you can prevent you competition from gaining a more "powerful" position, you try... that's business. Everyone in business says competition is good, they know competition is good, but damn if they don't wish they could crush their competition. It impacts the deal because if no one can create a competitor that is "no good." The commission is there to figure out how removing the biggest game from the other platforms could impact those other platforms, if they decided to pull that game from all platforms. They're basically trying to figure out if this game has enough pull to sway the market immensely and if the other platforms will be able to compete with it. I personally don't really care, I'll be playing COD on PC if I even play it.

Kagey K

Banned
are you high......they only make 300 million a year, and its split between platforms.

I clearly meant yearly, i doubt MS gets even $50M of that.
You forget about Halo 1-3 ODST and Reach?

You asked if a company has bought another company that's brought in almost a billion for a competing platform.

The answer is yes.

Last edited:

tmlDan

You forget about Halo 1-3 ODST and Reach?

You asked if a company has bout another company that's brought ialmost a billion for a competing platform.

The answer is yes.
wtf are you talking about, Bungie doesn't make Halo anymore and hasn't for a long time.

Stop going in the past, we're talking about now.

The acquisition is NOT comparable.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
They said titles.

Doesn't matter anyway. They didn't use that language with Bethesda. That's the point.

I admire your optimism.
Cap Lying GIF by Twitch

Riky

$MSFT
Call Of Duty is staying multiplatform, I don't think Sony have a leg to stand on. The real play is they are petrified of Gamepass and Call Of Duty being there day and date, that's the hammer blow.
That's going to drive subs and console sales through the roof as it becomes an incredible value proposition, people spend that £70-£100 on Call Of Duty every year, invest that money in Gamepass and you get the game and access to a massive library of games and the biggest first party output at launch, as well as your access to online play that people have to pay for separately.
Nobody can compete with that.

Last edited:
Call Of Duty is staying multiplatform, I don't think Sony have a leg to stand on. The real play is they are petrified of Gamepass and Call Of Duty being there day and date, that's the hammer blow.
The best thing about Microsoft being in this business is to keep Playstation in check for me.
I'm sure Sony was shook when they heard of this acquisition back in january.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Interestingly enough, CoD is probably at it's most vulnerable moment of the last 20 years right now.

Traditional CoD multiplayer has tanked.
Warzone isn't top dog.

A new wave of Battle Royale + Survival games are expected over the next 5 years by a litany of developers.

If CoD is going to maintain some kind of percieved top status, they're going to have to get off autopilot and start working for it again.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They bought Tomb Raider exclusively for an entire generation after the Saturn version ran faster.

Then when Destiny came out they moneyhatted content to keep it off Xbox. There were entire Strikes you could only access in the PlayStation version.

Most recently they moneyhatted Final Fantasy for exclusively.

You think that's comparable to buying a whole publisher that has over 30 developer teams making games?! Are you high?

reksveks

I assume this is the MS response to some of the questions.

I would love to get a proper translation (not a bad Google translation) but there is a paragraph about the new game pass rival from Sony

It should be noted that Sony recently announced a similar arrangement withdeveloper and publisher of Ubisoft games. On May 16, 2022, Sony announced the titles that would become available in the "New PlaySatation Plus".
In addition to several Popular Sony exclusive titles such as Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding and Demon's Souls, Sony announced that the catalog would include Ubisoft+ Classics, "a curated selection of Popular games, including the bestsellers, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, The Division and For Honor," which will be "released along with playstation plus extra and playstation plus subscription levels
Premium".3
The launch of the new PlayStation Plus, perceived by the industry as "a rival Xbox Game Pass",4 reflects the intense rivalry of the game distribution industry. The offer of the Ubisoft's "popular" and "best-selling" game catalog on PlayStation Plus reinforces this rivalry and also emphasizes the diversity of high-quality third-party games available for subscription service providers.

Anyone speak Brazilian Portuguese?

Last edited:

skit_data

Just because they can't, doesn't mean they wouldn't.
Are we arguing about ethics or economy? If Sony did, they would face scrutiny as well (well, maybe a bit less because MS has a history when it comes to buying out competition) but we are not in that theoretical timeline.

They bought Tomb Raider exclusively for an entire generation after the Saturn version ran faster.

Then when Destiny came out they moneyhatted content to keep it off Xbox. There were entire Strikes you could only access in the PlayStation version.

Most recently they moneyhatted Final Fantasy for exclusively.
This deal alone is much more relevant than the ones you mention.

Tomb Raider is available everywhere, even those old games. Also, they were all over PC as well. If i remember it the releases were also simultanious. They were only console exclusives and just timed. I remember Dreamcast getting The Last Revelation and Chronicles at least and i think on day one.

Final Fantasy is also on PC. The exclusivity deals are timed only.

How is that comparable with buying a huge ass publisher with god knows how many studios and IPs, including one of the biggest gaming IPs ever?

"Oh...this is okay...Sony has timed exclusivity for 2 Final Fantasy titles...so it's okay for MS to buy one of the biggest publishers in business" like...no.

If Sony bought Square-Enix AND Capcom, it would still be nowhere near an Activision-sized acquisition (even if the IP collection they would get is be much more exciting to the hardcore gamer tbh)

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This deal alone is much more relevant than the ones you mention.

Tomb Raider is available everywhere, even those old games. Also, they were all over PC as well. If i remember it the releases were also simultanious. They were only console exclusives and just timed. I remember Dreamcast getting The Last Revelation and Chronicles at least and i think on day one.

Final Fantasy is also on PC. The exclusivity deals are timed only.

How is that comparable with buying a huge ass publisher with god knows how many studios and IPs, including one of the biggest gaming IPs ever?

"Oh...this is okay...Sony has timed exclusivity for 2 Final Fantasy titles...so it's okay for MS to buy one of the biggest publishers in business" like...no.

If Sony bought Square-Enix AND Capcom, it would still be nowhere near an Activision-sized acquisition (even if the IP collection they would get is be much more exciting to the hardcore gamer tbh)

Call of Duty will also be on PC.

just admit, Xbox studios are either incapable of making games like PS studios do, or they don't care about that type of thing. even sony might abandon them, since they don't sell as much as valorant, fortnite skins. it is actually a blessing that sony still pushes and supports those studios and produces those great high quality games.

Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica are literally the only 1st party studios that meet (rather, *met*.. past tense since were in a new generation) that specific high production/narrative/90s metacritic criteria you keep repeating.

How's this gen going for you though?
Ratchet, Miles Morales, Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7 clearly didn't meet your standards at all.

Ragnarok MIGHT be what you're looking for, but there isn't a guarantee that it will be as well received as Gow 2018. Good luck with that one.
You think Factions 2 is going to really hit like that? Good luck with that one as well.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Fucking Whaaaaah!!!!

'We can't make one so you shouldn't acquire one!!'

Yeah, ita not a legitimate complaint at all. The only difference is instead of buying studios of multiple years, ms are buying a bunch all at once.
Monopoly laws dont apply yet. Maybe if ms were to buy actiblizz, take 2 and EA, there would be an issue, but they are not.

GenericUser

At bold - its Delusional. They spent billions on Minecraft. And they've made a lot of money and own one of the biggest IP's in gaming. Same goes for this deal. They are in it to make (more) capita and CoD and Activision Blizzard games make tonne of revenue YOY.

Now they own some of the biggest IP's in multiple genres. With CoD still being absolutely huge in gaming. They want to sell/bolster their subscription services. Having Call of Duty on Game Pass would be massive and I dare say be potentially quite damaging to Sony's platform. Can just see the marketing push for CoD being on GP and Xbox advertisements.

Besides that their PR went out their way to reassure us that CoD is staying on Sony PlayStation so we're just going to have to take their word for it (< link to Eurogamer article).
I disagree. Sure, MS would make more money in the short term by putting cod in the playstation. But I don't think microsoft cares about the quick buck. I think their goal is to kill sony once and for all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, you're not understanding what I was saying. I said they have the ability to make a world class AAA FPS anytime they want, and the ability to promote it very easily and make it widely available.

The outcome is up to the market, but nothing is stopping their ability to compete in this genre at the highest level.

I don’t doubt Sony’s ability to make a decent FPS. But even Sony realizes they can’t fill CoD’s shoes. None of their developers could. CoD has been entrenched in the genre as a monster franchise on consoles for decades. You can’t just replicate that was my original point.

Three

Interestingly enough, CoD is probably at it's most vulnerable moment of the last 20 years right now.

Warzone isn't top dog.

A new wave of Battle Royale + Survival games are expected over the next 5 years by a litany of developers.

If CoD is going to maintain some kind of percieved top status, they're going to have to get off autopilot and start working for it again.
CoD still remains the king of sales numbers but you are right that as it leans more into a f2p type of model the yearly franchise will have difficulty maintaining sales or competing. I think that is why it was a good buy because sales have declined but it still has a massive audience it can attract as it transitions and yearly releases start to spread out.

JLB

Banned
I hope something like this would shut down the deal wherever it can, just to spite MS. They're a behemoth that literally cannot be competed against.

Microsoft needs to be broken up, like yesterday.

EDIT: Everybody "LOL"ing at my comment: I am serious. Microsoft has been a menace way longer than they've been in the game industry. Their acquisitions are never a good thing for any industry (gaming or otherwise).
mm, am i the only one smelling fear here?

Warzone isn't top dog.

Their biggest military shooter rival of the last 20 years, Battlefield is on life-support, and millions of people have been waiting for next-gen warzone since the new consoles arrived. If Anything, MW2 is in a very strong position.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Their biggest military shooter rival of the last 20 years, Battlefield is on life-support, and millions of people have been waiting for next-gen warzone since the new consoles arrived. If Anything, MW2 is in a very strong position.

A "strong position", yes. As strong of a position they were in 5, 10, or 15 years ago? No.

onesvenus

What's going to happen is they're going to look at the obvious facts. Which are financial numbers Sony's provided, NPD data, and come to the obvious conclusion that yes. COD is a staple FPS that has no real competitor.
But they talk about the future though. That's not an obvious fact at all

RCU005

LOL I bet you hate sony taking bungie as well.

Also, where are the people reveling in kotick being outed? How mysogynistic/transphobic of you
Lol! You are in the wrong forum. Nothing about my post has anything to do with sexuality or gender. I don’t know where you got that from, but please don’t trigger yourself just for the sake of it.

KingT731

I wonder how these publishers feel about Sony shitting in them like this?
They know it as well. None of those games has the same clout or revenue of a CoD. Even a "lackluster" CoD moves tons of units and generates ridiculous amounts of money spend via battle passes etc. You have people but a console and legitimately only play CoD....
I don’t think this would be so bad if BF was viable alternative.

People also saying Sony has done the same has never done anything of this magnitude. MS is dropping serious “fuck you” money on these deals. While I really enjoy GP on my Series X, I have a huge problem with companies essentially buying market share.
Battlefield may potentially compete in the quality aspect but BF doesn't generate anywhere near as much money. The protest here is the overall picture of user loyalty as well as the various ways CoD brings in revenue.

Idk why people are ignoring that part. Yes, those publishers wanted to sell but MS paid a significant premium for them even though the share price was down.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Spend your money carefully, lads.

Hahaha! Good to see him not hold back his fan warrior wisdom on Twitter. On GAF he got banned so many times he had to straddle the fence hoping mods wouldn’t ban him.

Funny how on Twitter or other boards, these permabanned members show their true colours.

Will gamers listen to his advice about not buying COD?

Who knows. If all his whopping 179 followers Listen to him, MS is out about $10,000. MS makes around $70B profit per year. Bryank has a chance to brick wall their profits for about 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Hahaha! Good to see him not hold back his fan warrior wisdom on Twitter. On GAF he got banned so many times he had to straddle the fence hoping mods wouldn’t ban him.

Funny how on Twitter or other boards, these permabanned members show their true colours.

Will gamers listen to his advice about not buying COD?

Who knows. If all his whopping 179 followers Listen to him, MS is out about $10,000. MS makes around $70B profit per year. Bryank has a chance to brick wall their profits for about 5 seconds.
Boycott MWII steam page.jpeg

Mobilemofo

They could make an FPS better than COD. The chances of that ever rivaling COD though are slim to none. It takes more than capability to beat a moat.
Its the time required. I'd like a redesign of m.a.g. or the remergence of it. That game had huge potential. Unrealised.

Last edited:

onesvenus

You look at the past to make assumptions about the future.

CODs been selling 20+ million copies for the past 15 years.

Can that stop in the next 5? Sure. Is it probable? No
That's true. The question is if that's a valid answer or not. Nobody can say no game will be able to match CoD in 5 years.
Sony saying nobody will while all other companies say CoD could have competition is a bad look for them. If Sony wanted to be taken seriously their point of view shouldn't contradict what everyone else is saying. I'm sure that weights a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom