• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Shows How First Party Matters

Thirty7ven

Banned
g97o7EE.png

There have been debates about the significance of first party exclusives, at least when it comes to PlayStation.

Over 20% of all software sales in Q1 FY20.

Redlancet

Banned
i swear to god everytime i read "first party doesnt matter" its from a xbox or pc user,and thats obvious whey they use that argument,the same people who run to post how much games like grounded are the best sellers on steam,first party its important,period

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
its not just first party, its exclusives. You can go all the way back to PS One. The games that were available on PS One were not available on Sega and Nintendo consoles. Simple. You wanted to play MGS, FF7, Resident Evil, u had to get a PS One. Same thing with PS2. GTA3, NGS2, DMC, FFX. Starting from PS3, Sony realized that you cant just buy all these third party exclusives and went into first party super saiyan mode, it took them a decade to build their studios and IPs to compete with jaggernauts like FF, MGS and Resident, but now Sony's IPs are just as if not more popular than those games going by recent sales.

nani17

are in a big trouble
i swear to god everytime i read "first party doesnt matter" its from a xbox or pc user,and thats obvious whey they use that argument,the same people who run to post how much games like grounded are the best sellers on steam,first party its important,period

I'm a PC player mainly but I agree with you on the point that it is from Xbox and some pc players. Exclusives and first-party titles have always driven sales and will for a very long time

GHG

What I'd really like to see is the % of PS4 owners who have bought a 1st party game at full price at any point of ownership.

DeaDPo0L84

As someone who switched from a PS4/Xbox player to mostly a PC player I disagree to an extent. I love 1st party games, it's the sole reason why I'll be buying a PS5 is exclusively because of their 1st party output.

Counterpoint to why I won't be buying any Xbox console is cause I can play all their games on PC.

PC+PS5 will be my personal combo next gen.

Exclusives matter they always have it's just the run of the mill gamer just plays cod/FIFA/Fortnite etc and all those games play identically the same between Xbox and ps so what other reason is there for Sony to be so far Infront a large part of that I believe is because exclusives .

Redlancet

Banned
As someone who switched from a PS4/Xbox player to mostly a PC player I disagree to an extent. I love 1st party games, it's the sole reason why I'll be buying a PS5 is exclusively because of their 1st party output.

Counterpoint to why I won't be buying any Xbox console is cause I can play all their games on PC.

PC+PS5 will be my personal combo next gen.

i can get you youe point of view,but the days of big exclusives on pc are far and away,and thats a pity

Bryank75

Banned
It's time to add to 1st party.... they need a big shooter, an MMO and a Skyrim style game....

So buy Bethesda, make Doom, Elderscrolls and all the rest 1st party. The sales potential is there.

Can still publish some of them on PC after 2 or 3 years.

Brofist

It's time to add to 1st party.... they need a big shooter, an MMO and a Skyrim style game....

So buy Bethesda, make Doom, Elderscrolls and all the rest 1st party. The sales potential is there.

Imagine a world where Doom and Elder Scrolls games aren't released on PC. Yikes

Imagine, people could be buying xboxes for this game right now (maybe not this late in the gen, when a console has no momentum it's harder to get people to jump in for one game).

Or maybe they don't matter to them, so they assume it's the same for everybody... as for myself, probably half of my gaming time has been on Sony exclusives!

turtlepowa

Banned
I don't think it's 1 in 5 over the whole 7 years. In January Sony said they sold 1.15 billion games and 106 million consoles. That's 11 games per owner. Someone added the known sales numbers of the PS4 exclusives by that time and it was something like 1,2 out of 11 or so and 0,X if you pull off all the PS3 remasters. Would be interesting to see the total numbers when the gen is over. I think TLOU2 and Ghost can sell 15 million together on Ps4.

Last edited:

martino

What i read is 80% of sales can go elsewhere.
And how much is that overall ? 5-7 %?

Last edited:

SilentUser

Instead of buying studios, I would like to see them funding new ones to create new IPs like a new big shooter (or Resistance haha), WRPG and stuff :D

Bryank75

Banned
Instead of buying studios, I would like to see them funding new ones to create new IPs like a new big shooter (or Resistance haha), WRPG and stuff :D
Yeah, they have a new studio at San Diego and some studios have expanded and built new teams....
I just want them to make an aggressive move and Doom marine would be very iconic as a platform mascot.

turtlepowa

Banned
It's just the impact of COVID. I'm curious if that ratio will remain once shit goes back to normal someday.
Doubt it. Once people get couch potatoes they stay couch potatoes. Also in some countries it already was > 50% without COVID. UK for example if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

Dnice1

Wonder how 3rd parties feel about Sony 1st party games taking all the sales revenue? 3rd parties already have to give Sony 30% of their profits only to see them use that money and compete against them if the full price market. By putting all their 1st party games into Gamepass Microsoft for the most part is giving 3rd parties the full price retail market to themselves.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Wonder how 3rd parties feel about Sony 1st party games taking all the sales revenue? 3rd parties already have to give Sony 30% of their profits only to see them use that money and compete against them if the full price market. By putting all their 1st party games into Gamepass Microsoft for the most part is giving 3rd parties the full price retail market to themselves.

im pretty sure publishers prefer the sony ¡model by a big margin

Who the hell has tried to suggest console exclusives don't matter?

What kind of moron said that?

When the PS4 didn't have great first party support and it was still selling well I used to hear all the time about how exclusives don't really matter.

That's the problem with this industry, we have selective memory.

Redlancet

Banned
When the PS4 didn't have great first party support and it was still selling well I used to hear all the time about how exclusives don't really matter.

That's the problem with this industry, we have selective memory.
maybe its yours,because i never have seen that .dont get mad son

Pallas

They aren’t buying Bethesda, just like they weren’t buying Take-two.

That digital ratio is crazy. Physical is officially dead.
You can see why they went with two SKU’s with the PS5 now. They probably wanted to do all digital but I imagine there would of been a large backlash.

Bryank75

Banned
They aren’t buying Bethesda, just like they weren’t buying Take-two.

You can see why they went with two SKU’s with the PS5 now. They probably wanted to do all digital but I imagine there would of been a large backlash.
Didn't say they were but I would like them to.... they could if they wanted and it would fit very well. It would grow both companies because it would make PlayStation an even more essential purchase to holdouts on other platforms....

Top Bottom