• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s CES press conference will stream live on January 8th (5pm PST / 1am GMT / 2am CET

Draugoth

Gold Member
smart

Sony will be exhibiting at CES® 2024, the world's largest technology event, in Las Vegas from 9 January, 2024. Sony first exhibited at CES in 1977, forty-six years ago, and since then, CES has remained an important venue for Sony to introduce its latest technologies and initiatives, as well as convey various messages to the world. At CES 2024, Sony will showcase various technologies and initiatives that support creators, based on Sony's purpose to "fill the world with emotion, through the power of creativity and technology."

"CES 2024" Sony Press Conference (online distribution)

Date and time: 8 January, 2024, 5:00pm PST (9 January, 2024, 1:00am GMT / 2:00am CET)

How to watch: Sony Square

We're sure you're curious about what will be announced at CES 2024, so for more information, please watch the live stream of the press conference on 8th January (PST) / 9th January (GMT/CET). In this blog, we would like to look back on the history of Sony at CES.

Can someone educate us with some context so we know whether to be excited for new game announcements or not.

Does PS/ Sony traditionally live stream a CES press conference?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone educate us with some context so we know whether to be excited for new game announcements or not.

Does PS/ Sony traditionally live stream a CES press conference?

CES is traditionally not a games focused show.

This is what they announced last year.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I doubt there will be anything Playstation related based on past precedent.
Actually, I'd say the past would tell us the exact opposite.

At CES 2022, they officially unveiled the PlayStation VR2 headset and features, alongside our first look at Horizon: Call of the Mountain gameplay. And in 2023, they confirmed VR support for Gran Turismo 7 coming at launch and announced Project Leonardo, now the Access Controller. On top of those things, PlayStation Productions has had a big presence at Sony's CES press conference throughout the years, with the Uncharted, The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo film and television projects.

Now for what we're all expecting, PS5 Pro, I think there's a slight chance that we'd see it. Remember how Tom Henderson reported that Sony is expecting PS5 Pro specs to leak anytime now after the devkits arrived to third-party developers a month ago? With that in mind, I believe they may want to do a soft announcement of the PS5 Pro (still refering to it as Project Trinity, giving some few technical details and explaining their vision for this new device) in order to get ahead of leaks and have full control over the message.

Actually, I'd say the past would tell us the exact opposite.

At CES 2022, they officially unveiled the PlayStation VR2 headset and features, alongside our first look at Horizon: Call of the Mountain gameplay. And in 2023, they confirmed VR support for Gran Turismo 7 coming at launch and announced Project Leonardo, now the Access Controller. On top of those things, PlayStation Productions has had a big presence at Sony's CES press conference throughout the years, with the Uncharted, The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo film and television projects.

Now for what we're all expecting, PS5 Pro, I think there's a slight chance that we'd see it. Remember how Tom Henderson reported that Sony is expecting PS5 Pro specs to leak anytime now after the devkits arrived to third-party developers a month ago? With that in mind, I believe they may want to do a soft announcement of the PS5 Pro (still refering to it as Project Trinity, giving some few technical details and explaining their vision for this new device) in order to get ahead of leaks and have full control over the message.

There's also prob a reason Mark Cerny was at the VGAs; maybe he's been at past shows but they took time to specifically mention his presence at this year's show.

I'm not expecting Sony to show off the PS5 Pro at this event, but they'll probably confirm it exists and maybe show a proof of concept demo or something running on it. But otherwise keep the system design and specs hidden until a fuller reveal a few months later. They may not even directly mention the Pro even if they do such a demo, just saying something vague like "future collaborative gaming technologies with partners", "partners" being AMD.

We'll probably at least get another PS5 sales update, in any case.

TexMex

Always about tech, not about software. I could be overlooking something but I can’t think of any real game reveals that have taken place at CES.

saintjules

Always about tech, not about software. I could be overlooking something but I can’t think of any real game reveals that have taken place at CES.

No one should really expect game announcements here. In the past it's just been hardware sales and hardware announcements/reveals.

If a Pro exists, I'd expect an announcement here telling us as such. Could be Mark Cerny presenting since Jimbo is on his way out.

I am just speculating and making a wildcard guess, but the last few years Playstation has been discussed in some capacity in it's own segment.

Last edited:

Reallink

They have the best processing in the biz it doesn't matter if they buy the panels from lg or Samsung there's a reason they keep winning tv of the year
They have a slight processing advantage you have to view side by side by side to notice that is only visible on select scenes. They "win" shootouts by a hair voted by calibrators and videophiles on film and TV content. They would lose a gaming and feature focused shootout by a landslide. So as I said, nothing that would warrant or justify their $1000+ price premiums.

Last edited:

magnumpy

They have a slight processing advantage you have to view side by side by side to notice that is only visible on select scenes. They "win" shootouts by a hair voted by calibrators and videophiles on film and TV content. They would lose a gaming and feature focused shootout by a landslide. So as I said, nothing that would warrant or justify their $1000+ price premiums.

traditionally, the last 1% in quality is where the big bucks are made. the last 1% in quality costs WELL over 1% in dollars. you pay a hefty premium to have the "best of the best"

you could justifiably call that a rip-off. 1% more in quality/performance should cost 1% more in dollars. but capitalism isn't necessarily logical...

Playstation announcements would be…
  1. There will probably be a Ghost Of Tsushima movie sneak peak.
  2. Uncharted 2 confirmation movie announcement.
  3. More Horizon and GOW show details, along with TLoU season 2 new cast announcement.
  4. Details on a Playstation Portal software update to allow streaming games without a PS5.
  5. Announce Netflix among other video services coming to the PSPortal.
  6. PS5 Pro announcement & Spiderman 8K presentation ray traced.
  7. Gran Turismo played on a Sony Honda car.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
you could justifiably call that a rip-off. 1% more in quality/performance should cost 1% more in dollars.
That makes the assumption that that relationship between cost and quality is linear but it is not (more like a stretched exponential).

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Playstation announcements would be…
  1. There will probably be a Ghost Of Tsushima movie sneak peak.
  2. Uncharted 2 confirmation movie announcement.
  3. More Horizon and GOW show details, along with TLoU season 2 new cast announcement.
  4. Details on a Playstation Portal software update to allow streaming games without a PS5.
  5. Announce Netflix among other video services coming to the PSPortal.
  6. PS5 Pro announcement & Spiderman 8K presentation ray traced.
  7. Gran Turismo played on a Sony Honda car.

Yeah Right Judging You GIF

Hudo

The thirst is real. It’s ces, not e3. You might get to see some new teles and a Walkman.
This. It's fucking CES, I dunno why people expect anything gaming related to be announced here. They might announce something for their "Inzone" product line, like a 32" display or something.

The PS5 Pro will most likely get its own dedicated announcement stream.

Perrott

Gold Member
This. It's fucking CES, I dunno why people expect anything gaming related to be announced here. They might announce something for their "Inzone" product line, like a 32" display or something.

The PS5 Pro will most likely get its own dedicated announcement stream.
... perhaps because multiple game-related things have been announced at Sony's CES press conferences over the last few years? PlayStation VR2, the Access Controller, Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo 7 VR, PlayStation Productions stuff, sales milestones or other interesting information, the PS5 logo...

Hudo

... perhaps because multiple game-related things have been announced at Sony's CES press conferences over the last few years? PlayStation VR2, the Access Controller, Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo 7 VR, PlayStation Productions stuff, sales milestones or other interesting information, the PS5 logo...
Well, Ok. Then. Expect a PS5 Pro announcement and maybe a new Motorstorm. I would genuinely buy into Sony's ecosystem bullshit for a new Motorstorm.

yurinka

Well, Ok. Then. Expect a PS5 Pro announcement and maybe a new Motorstorm. I would genuinely buy into Sony's ecosystem bullshit for a new Motorstorm.
The PS5 Pro is supposed to be released in fall. If they release it in let's say November then the announcement would make sense a month or two before. Let's say September. New SKUs/revisions aren't announced very far from release.

I'd love to see Firesprite making a new Motorstorm or Wipeout, but I think they are (sadly for me) working on a Twisted Metal game instead, which may be in too early stages to be announced this month.

Something they could announce is a PS5 30th anniversary limited edition (the one shown in the Jimbo party): a regular PS5 but with the colors of the original PS1, plus the related Dualsense and console plates.

There's also prob a reason Mark Cerny was at the VGAs; maybe he's been at past shows but they took time to specifically mention his presence at this year's show.
I think he was at the VGAs because he's an industry legend since he worked on many iconic games as Marble Madness, Sonic, Crash, Spyro, Uncharted, Killzone 2, Spider-Man, The Last Guardian, Death Stranding (or Knack xD) and the hardware arquitect of the recent PS consoles.

Last edited:

SHA

It's about pro bro, pro bros likes pro, it's just facts that not all bros pro to acknowledge pro, so all bros shall acknowledge pro bros and like the pro.

mitch1971

They will have CES exclusive demo real of Bloodborne running stutter free 60fps on their tvs throughout the day. :p

Last edited:

magnumpy

That makes the assumption that that relationship between cost and quality is linear but it is not (more like a stretched exponential).

true. the last bit of quality is definitely the most expensive, while an "equivalent" bit of quality, like say the first 1%, is so diminished in value that it's next to worthless

Audiophile

Gold Member
Only thing I can think of on the PS hardware side is PS5 Pro. But, they only confirmed and alluded to the PS4 Pro (as "Neo") in June of 2016 (5-1/2 months ahead of launch) and only officially revealed it in September (9 weeks ahead of launch).

That being said, things have changed a lot with announcements so I wouldn't be surprised if they just did a soft reveal with a logo and some key points...also, there's seems to have have been a stronger PlayStation presence at CES than I remember in the past.

Sony are also doing great hardware wise and likely wouldn't be as concerned about eating into current sales with a delayed sale later in the year; especially if this is a slightly more premium system vs the base system compared to PS4 Pro & PS4. In which case, people who want a Pro are likely gonna wait and get a Pro and people who want a base system will get that; so the delayed sale of the latter likely isn't a major concern. On-the-fence purchasers will probably be less common this time around.

I also doubt the number of likely double-dippers that can be "tricked" into getting both will be significant enough to matter, the majority of those who want a Pro likely already have or have had their first PS5. Building hype, mindshare and brand prestige around the most powerful gaming console is probably a higher priority.

There's also rumours of a September release (and there's no Slim releasing nearby this time), so a soft reveal at this point would only be 3mths earlier than the confirmation of PS4 Pro was relative to its launch; assuming this is the case.

Again, I don't expect it, I just wouldn't rule it out and I certainly wouldn't be surprised by a mention of it. The landscape of announcements and timescales have changed so much, I wouldn't put too much weight in past schedules and methods.

Last edited:

Elios83

Only thing I can think of on the PS hardware side is PS5 Pro. But, they only confirmed and alluded to the PS4 Pro (as "Neo") in June of 2016 (5-1/2 months ahead of launch) and only officially revealed it in September (9 weeks ahead of launch).

That being said, things have changed a lot with announcements so I wouldn't be surprised if they just did a soft reveal with a logo and some key points...also, there's seems to have have been a stronger PlayStation presence at CES than I remember in the past.

Sony are also doing great hardware wise and likely wouldn't be as concerned about eating into current sales with a delayed sale later in the year; especially if this is a slightly more premium system vs the base system compared to PS4 Pro & PS4. In which case, people who want a Pro are likely gonna wait and get a Pro and people who want a base system will get that; so the delayed sale of the latter likely isn't a major concern. On-the-fence purchasers will probably be less common this time around.

I also doubt the number of likely double-dippers that can be "tricked" into getting both will be significant enough to matter, the majority of those who want a Pro likely already have or have had their first PS5. Building hype, mindshare and brand prestige around the most powerful gaming console is probably a higher priority.

There's also rumours of a September release (and there's no Slim releasing nearby this time), so a soft reveal at this point would only be 3mths earlier than the confirmation of PS4 Pro was relative to its launch; assuming this is the case.

Again, I don't expect it, I just wouldn't rule it out and I certainly wouldn't be surprised by a mention of it. The landscape of announcements and timescales have changed so much, I wouldn't put too much weight in past schedules and methods.

There won't be any Pro reveal anytime soon and certainly not at CES.
These days Sony is announcing everything super close to release.
Pro will be announced during summer probably at a dedicated small event with Mark Cerny.
At CES we'll get a PS5 sales update and some PlayStation Productions (TV series/movies) news.
I also expect a SoP soon because the Q1 lineup is rich and strong and deserves some deep dives and good marketing.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Some new Audeze headphones would be cool. Something with their planar drivers not having reliability issues and being tuned close to Maxwells.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

I'm standing here at CES waiting for the presser to start. Not sure I would expect anything PlayStation to be honest. There is no PlayStation in the booth at all

Some new Audeze headphones would be cool. Something with their planar drivers not having reliability issues and being tuned close to Maxwells.
Do the Maxwells have reliability issues? Reviews have been excellent. I was thinking about getting a set this year.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Fucking shameful they do real press conferences for literally EVERYTHING but PLAYSTATION now

dotnotbot

Do the Maxwells have reliability issues? Reviews have been excellent. I was thinking about getting a set this year.

Yeah, lots of complaints on reddit, some only last few months. Planar drivers are fragile and thin and don't like pressure, taking them on and off paired with closed-back design creates pressure that slowly damages the drivers. If they made exact same headphones but open-back version durability should be much better.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Maybe a 2 second tease for the “Pro”, but literally just like a quote “hey we are working on a new iteration”. Nothing worth getting excited about, and definitely nothing about games.

Top Bottom