• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith

Does anybody else have a really noisy vibration? It's way too loud :S

Is this normal for the Z2 or should I replace it?

kudoboi

yeah. but it looks to be Japan exclusive for the time being. not a fan of the body design imo
The Sony Xperia ZL2 will be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AB 2.3GHz quad core processor, 3GB RAM, 32GB internal storage and comes with microSDXC card slot, Android 4.4, WiFi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and 3000mAh battery.
sony-xperia-zl-5.jpg

sony-xperia-zl-6.jpg

sony-xperia-zl-2.jpg

sony-xperia-zl-1.jpg

thanks for the impressions. Did you take the photos with auto or manual mode?
Auto. I didn't notice any difference in image quality between auto and manual modes.

I was also choosing between Galaxy S5, HTC One and Z2. I don't like S5's design and cheap plastic, HTC One's camera is crap and both Samsung and HTC are more expensive than Sony. Z2 is better overall for me.

Kyoufu

Auto mode is actually very good and the best thing about the camera experience on Z2 is the dedicated camera button which makes it so much easier to take photos.

When I had the Galaxy S3, I once saw a fox running across the street and wanted to take a photo of it, but by the time I took my phone out of my pocket and got into the camera app, the fox had already ran away. ;_;

With the Z2, it takes seconds to take photos from the phone on standby. Love it to bits.

Faith

I brought it back. They don't have any replacement because all Z2s are already sold. I ordered it from an other shop (40$ more expensive), but I should have it by tomorrow.

A bummer. This phone would be amazing. Hopefully my new device is fine.

Kyoufu

I brought it back. They don't have any replacement because all Z2s are already sold. I ordered it from an other shop (40$ more expensive), but I should have it by tomorrow.

A bummer. This phone would be amazing. Hopefully my new device is fine.

Your ROM shenanigans fucked everything, didn't it.

demented

So LG G3 gonna be announced at the end of the month and probably gonna have very good spec, screen alone looks awesome, and Z2 still not available in my country... Guess right now I'm 99% skipping on it. All the hype went down the drain haha.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So LG G3 gonna be announced at the end of the month and probably gonna have very good spec, screen alone looks awesome, and Z2 still not available in my country... Guess right now I'm 99% skipping on it. All the hype went down the drain haha.

I'm starting to feel the same but that may depend on the quality of the G3 camera.

yogloo

My Z2 is here!
Everything seems pretty nice. I encountered a few small stutter while opening and closing stuff. Nothing major.

One big thing that I don't like about it is ergonomics. Holding it in your hand feels uncomfortable because of its square shape. Samsung phones are much more comfortable in this regard. I guess M8 should be more comfortable with the curved back too.

Faith

Got my new Z2 today. Even slightly better buildquality.

Vibration still makes noise, but not as loud as my old Z2. I think this should be normal. Or do you guys don't hear anything?

yeah. but it looks to be Japan exclusive for the time being. not a fan of the body design imo

Looks like the ZL finally got a sequel then. The ZL was the brother phone of the original Z and was exactly the same except if wasn't water proof (and had a dedicated camera button).

This will probably be the same deal with the ZL2. Same as Z2 but not waterproof.

kudoboi

Looks like the ZL finally got a sequel then. The ZL was the brother phone of the original Z and was exactly the same except if wasn't water proof (and had a dedicated camera button).

This will probably be the same deal with the ZL2. Same as Z2 but not waterproof.

it looks like this one will be waterproof. they have flaps to cover the charging port

Is it still strong?

Either I will send it to Sony to fix it or I will find a way to reduce vibration intensity, because it's too strong anyway.

Yes it's strong. Not as strong as the Z1 though. The Z1's vibration was really strong, silent and it's more even.

Now that the Z2 is getting widely available, I would like to list the issues that people are finding. For you guys don't need to go thru the cluster of the xda forum :p

1) overheating issue with 4k issue. Which I belive is a non issue. Just overblown by xda. Everyone's 4k recording time varies because phone temp varies. 4K records longer if the phone is idle and cooler.

2) Gap issues- upper right corner gap and glass is a Lil higher.

3) camera off Centered? - I have no idea if it's a real issue.

4) dead pixels- common on all phones but alot seem to be getting there phones with dead pixels

5) bootloader locked- if you get yours from a carrier it will be locked! Buy it from a Sony store or get a unbranded one and yours won't be locked.

That's it for now...

Well, that's the problem. I want it to be like that! Like my old Galaxy S3.

How unlucky am I to get 2 times the same problem with 2 new devices?

I think yours is fine. you'll eventually get used to it.

Dayam this phone got major hype in the beginning, looking back at this tread it seem like everyone is saying they will be getting this phone. Now it seem only a handful of us got this phone. Sony really dropped the ball when they delayed the launch...everybody got their S5 and M8s...and soon the G3. Sony failed in the US again..

Fezan

Sun Light visibility between z2 and 5s
All 3 android flagships here

So z2 is not not as bright as HTC M8 and S5 but brighter than 5s
Now that the Z2 is getting widely available, I would like to list the issues that people are finding. For you guys don't need to go thru the cluster of the xda forum :p

1) overheating issue with 4k issue. Which I belive is a non issue. Just overblown by xda. Everyone's 4k recording time varies because phone temp varies. 4K records longer if the phone is idle and cooler.

2) Gap issues- upper right corner gap and glass is a Lil higher.

3) camera off Centered? - I have no idea if it's a real issue.

4) dead pixels- common on all phones but alot seem to be getting there phones with dead pixels

5) bootloader locked- if you get yours from a carrier it will be locked! Buy it from a Sony store or get a unbranded one and yours won't be locked.

That's it for now...

1) Every phone overheats when using 4k video like s5 and note 3. I am more concerned with heat issues with other modes which some user are mentioning

2) Not a big issue many phones have such faults like here in KSA S5 has some water proofing issue due to thin membrane in the back covers. I personally know 3 guys who had this problem but Samsung changed their phones. Similarly 5s and 5 scratched body.

3) No idea what it even means

4) Like you said not only common on phones but on tvs laptops and monitors as well

5) Still better than Region lock of s5

The only issue here is sony delay almost finished any hype phone had. I am personally waiting for S5 prime or g3 and wont buy z2 because of the delay

kudoboi

Sony fucked up the launch big time. No doubt about that.

I just bought the magnetic docking station a few days ago and i am very satisfied so far. the Magnets are very strong and the charging speed is surprisingly as fast as cable. It is much easier compared to having to open the flap every time I want to charge. IMO it was a worthy investment.

XBP

I think yours is fine. you'll eventually get used to it.

Dayam this phone got major hype in the beginning, looking back at this tread it seem like everyone is saying they will be getting this phone. Now it seem only a handful of us got this phone. Sony really dropped the ball when they delayed the launch...everybody got their S5 and M8s...and soon the G3. Sony failed in the US again..

Pretty much. If the G3 launches before this in canada i'm definitely picking that up instead. I'm not really sure how sony expects to turn around their mobile division by messing up new product launches this bad.

Pretty much. If the G3 launches before this in canada i'm definitely picking that up instead. I'm not really sure how sony expects to turn around their mobile division by messing up new product launches this bad.

Canada got got their version a few days ago...

Brandson

None of the sony stores i've visited have it. They'll be getting it in a couple of weeks (June i was told) and i refuse to buy this from bell.

I picked up a Z2 tablet today from a Sony Store in Toronto, and was also told that the unlocked Z2 phones will show up in Canada in June. You can reserve one now if you really want to.

My co-worker bought one this weekend at Scarborough Town Center Bell Store.

Jeevez

Ordered mine last week on Sony Canada site when they enabled a few coupon codes to stack and I was able to get it outright for $600+tax. Hoping the order completes and ships soon. I've been using my Nexus 4 with a cracked screen for about 1 year now. I love the performance of the N4 though still and wanted to get a phone that was a big step up (especially in battery) and I'm hoping this phone satisfies me. First non-Nexus phone in a while, hope Sony keeps it decently up to date, especially if there is a big Android update this summer.

I got a phone call from my network provider yesterday (Three, and I'm in the UK) offering me an upgrade six months early. I was so tempted to go for an Xperia Z2 for only an extra £2 a month on my current contract, but while I'll get the phone for free, in order to get out of my contract early I've got to pay an extra £142. He's gonna call me back tonight and while I'd really love to get a Z2 now (played around with my friend's Z1 and loved it), I think I'll just wait until November and see what the contract deals look like then. I currently have a Galaxy S3 and I haven't really liked it since day one, so I won't be getting another Samsung phone (more due to the bloatware and functionality design than the build of the phone).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I got a phone call from my network provider yesterday (Three, and I'm in the UK) offering me an upgrade six months early. I was so tempted to go for an Xperia Z2 for only an extra £2 a month on my current contract, but while I'll get the phone for free, in order to get out of my contract early I've got to pay an extra £142. He's gonna call me back tonight and while I'd really love to get a Z2 now (played around with my friend's Z1 and loved it), I think I'll just wait until November and see what the contract deals look like then. I currently have a Galaxy S3 and I haven't really liked it since day one, so I won't be getting another Samsung phone (more due to the bloatware and functionality design than the build of the phone).

they'll be a Z3 by November, most likely. I think you made the right choice.

Chaeotic

Neo Member
Picked up the aussie version today, having "misplaced" my original Xperia Z...

First few hours are definitely positive - feels a lot quicker and vastly more responsive over the Z, along with the gorgeous screen. Really pops compared to the Z. The 4k recording is stunning, and the speakers are a godsend coming from what the Z was dishing out at the time.

Only complaint I'd have so far is the touch responsive seems weaker, example being during text input. Maybe the greater size diminishes the vibration? Minor annoyance though, overall definitely worthy of the flagship status Sony have bestowed it.

Now to really break it in and see how it goes over a longer time period!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom