• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Gamescom Media Briefing On "Release Plans for PlayStation 4"

Oh piss off. This was one of the most masterful trolls in E3 history. Right after hearing MS basically fuck over gamers worldwide, everyone was waiting with baited breath to see Sony's responses and they delivered eliciting the response you saw. You two can be sticks in the mud, but to the thousands sitting in that auditorium, that was one of the biggest moments of E3.

Isn't it crazy that people try to downplay those moments as if they weren't huge?

Iacobellis

The F2P exception they carved out suggests to me otherwise. They've allowed a growing niche to exist as an alternative to the one-size-fits-all subscription. I fully expect F2P games to emerge as a compelling alternative this gen to the typical tentpole MP games.

It's the same template they used for the Feb. event to unveil the PS4.

The template is sooooooo much better than the one from E3 2005. I think it's also the same one used for the presentation Cerny gave at Barcelona Gamelab.

Snakeyes

Mine will forever be earlier when Tretton announced no new DRM. Because after the insane work that a ton of us did on the #PS4NoDRM campaign it was like this explosion of happiness and relief. I was like HipHopGamer x1000 but in my house with my wife looking at me like I was on meth.

So they did consider blocking used games at some point between the Bone reveal and E3?

LastNac

Mine will forever be earlier when Tretton announced no new DRM. Because after the insane work that a ton of us did on the #PS4NoDRM campaign it was like this explosion of happiness and relief. I was like HipHopGamer x1000 but in my house with my wife looking at me like I was on meth.
I had the honor of being in attendance. Videos don't do justice to how crazy it was.

This. SO MUCH THIS.

I was very shocked to see how many people were impressed with Sony's conference.

Well, when you have one company attacking consumer rights every way they can and then another company comes along and says they're going to do the complete opposite and for a cheaper price, what would you expect? It was a home run.

Iacobellis

We are almost there, ladies and gentlemen.

ibrC0jQaicWYs9.png

So they did consider blocking used games at some point between the Bone reveal and E3?

There's an interview with Boyes somewhere... Giantbomb maybe? I forget. But he said he was in a meeting with Tretton when his twitter started blowing up. He said something along the lines of "Microsoft is here, and we are leaning towards this and clearly this is what gamers want - let's lock it in." So they pretty much decided that night.

I don't think we would have DRM if we didn't do anything. Sony was already heading that way (which is what I said in my original OP). But it atleast helped them realize it was a good idea and it definitely got the media attention over the course of a few weeks that made that segment of E3 a knockout blow.

Sony should give us some money for that.

Persona86

Banned
Not even close. MS made themselves into an laughably easy target, that's all.

Yep the reveal was like a parody in itself.

I was genuinely excited to see what they had to show. "xbox one" was just weird, and the whole sports tv sports tv made the whole experience feel like it wasn't aimed at me...at all.

And then the aftermath....my god....just so confusing.

But Microsoft do seem to be making a good recovery. If it turns out good I might end up with an xbox one in a couple of years and catch up on some of the games.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just canceled my xbone preorder; Going Sony exclusive next gen. Naughty Dog is about the 90% reason for that. Other 10% is Sony goodwill and MS fuckup. Give ND all the monies, sony, do it.

There's an interview with Boyes somewhere... Giantbomb maybe? I forget. But he said he was in a meeting with Tretton when his twitter started blowing up. He said something along the lines of "Microsoft is here, and we are leaning towards this and clearly this is what gamers want - let's lock it in." So they pretty much decided that night.

I don't think we would have DRM if we didn't do anything. Sony was already heading that way (which is what I said in my original OP). But it atleast helped them realize it was a good idea and it definitely got the media attention over the course of a few weeks that made that segment of E3 a knockout blow.

I get more useful industry insight from you than Kotaku, Polygon and IGN combined Mort.

Without the Rebellion, that shit certainly would not have hit as hard at the conference. That's for sure. People were all riled and upset and loud, meanwhile every journalist and analyst said Sony would have some form of DRM. That contributed significantly to the impact of that moment.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
why are we acting like its still huge when its been void by recent MS announcements though?
Why are you acting like the recent MS announcements weren't triggered by Sony's announcements and the response they got? How does that make the latter void when MS's policy reversals likely wouldn't have happened otherwise? If anything, that just adds to their weight.

Finalizer

I was very shocked to see how many people were impressed with Sony's conference.

When you consider what people feared at the time was potentially on the line, the reaction makes sense. Like I said earlier, Sony should thank the guys in green for giving them such an opportunity to capitalize on something that's such a basic expectation in an industry for over three decades by now.

why are we acting like its still huge when its been void by recent MS announcements though?

Talking about purely within that moment, it was a massive bombshell. There's no disputing that much. Hell, for comparison's sake the Twilight Princess E3 reactions nowadays seem hilarious given how lukewarm some reactions are toward the game. Didn't stop it from being a defining E3 moment regardless.

Add to that the resultant fallout seen in the MS camp over the past few months just solidifies the immensity of that moment in Sony's E3 all that much more.

imtehman

Banned
Why are you acting like the recent MS announcements weren't triggered by Sony's announcements and the response they got? How does that make the latter void when MS's policy reversals likely wouldn't have happened otherwise? If anything, that just adds to their weight.

it makes it void because MS reversed their policies?

Not even close. MS made themselves into an laughably easy target, that's all.
Companies are stupid though. Many of them. MS was an easy target, but considering Sony's past they could have easily fucked it up as well by giving in to the publishers like every journalist expected to happen. Or fail to capitalize on MS's mistakes by not saying anything at the conference at all (Sony likes doing that). Many people were genuinely shocked Sony went the way they did, even veterans like Adam Sessler.

Been voided by?

Every single recent MS announcement has been made because of that moment. People can rightfully say it was huge because it set the direction for this generation, and those MS announcements? Those are Microsoft being forced to turn in that direction.

Like others have said, that moment isn't voided by any announcements, the word you're looking for is validated.

Nafai1123

Banned

That moment completely changed the course of console history. You think we'd be in the same place we are right now if they went with MS on the DRM front? Just because MS realized they fucked up doesn't make the moment any less important to the industry.

Without the Rebellion, that shit certainly would not have hit as hard at the conference. That's for sure. People were all riled and upset and loud, meanwhile every journalist and analyst said Sony would have some form of DRM. That contributed significantly to the impact of that moment.

Yeah, the only thing I can be certain of that we did was taking it from a niche issue to a mainstream issue. We got covered in over 200 publications, including the wall street journal and NBC News. It turned the issue from something that some loosely connected bitching from enthusiasts to a problem that became the focal point of the entire industry.

Whether we actually changed minds - I have no clue. But I do know we atleast succeeded in making it a big topic. And sony pounced on it, to their credit. Microsoft didn't and then the preorder sales showed them that they were wrong. One of the coolest things I was ever a part of. It's just videogames... a hobby - but man, that was a lot of fun. The happy ending helped, of course.

No, not that kind. Perverts.

it makes it void because MS reversed their policies?
Most of the pre-orders were made that night. People don't flip-flop that easily, especially since price difference is still there. PR was so bad that even casuals applauded Sony during Jimmy Fallon. People like that likely don't know about MS's reversals, they just remember hearing from their friends that Sony whooped MS's ass and MS doing bad things. On top of that price difference is the thing that matters most for them.

So while the reversals will help MS a big deal in the long run, the bad PR is still hurting them.

imtehman

Banned
HEY GUYS, remember that huge moment when MS reversed their DRM policy and always online and remove mandatory kinect and put a headset with every console?!?! it was soOO moving!~

Iacobellis

Yeah, the only thing I can be certain of that we did was taking it from a niche issue to a mainstream issue. We got covered in over 200 publications, including the wall street journal and NBC News. It turned the issue from something that some loosely connected bitching from enthusiasts to a problem that became the focal point of the entire industry.

Whether we actually changed minds - I have no clue. But I do know we atleast succeeded in making it a big topic. And sony pounced on it, to their credit. Microsoft didn't and then the preorder sales showed them that they were wrong. One of the coolest things I was ever a part of. It's just videogames... a hobby - but man, that was a lot of fun. The happy ending helped, of course.

No, not that kind. Perverts.

Damn, I didn't even think of it that way until I read the final sentence.

Whoa, hold up the Sony conference is being downplayed? What?

It was like one voice in which everyone practically announced we don't want your shit, MS.

It was an amazing moment.

MS has done nothing but to try to combat bad press after bad press, and when the numbers had them destroyed in preorders they have been trying to reverse that horsecrap they were trying to forcible spoon feed the gaming public since the One's introduction.

The one-two punch knockout of not forcing anti-used DRM and being a $100 cheaper was just fantastic.

Top Bottom