• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Gamescom Media Briefing On "Release Plans for PlayStation 4"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm serious when I say I don't think you're really exercising the extent of human empathy if that's how you think someone would respond in that moment. I'm not trying to insult you, honestly, I just think overwhelming pride and joy are the clear human response to that situation.

Someone fighting tears of nerves and fighting back (nervous?) smiles as they're being showered with praise and adoration, and when they know the world is on their side and screaming "Yes!" simply doesn't make sense. It just doesn't. :/
uhh, sure thing, dude.

Iacobellis

And then you watch videos people made with their smartphones and see how loud the cheering really was and how people like HipHopGamer reacted. Really was Twilight Princess reloaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I26eZq8o4nM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPNPyNlDM8

This industry, man... I'm telling you, nothing else like it.

Looking back on this year, I don't think Sony has dropped the ball once in regards to the PS4. Some may say putting online multiplayer behind a paywall is bad, but I see it as a positive. Not just saying it because Sony did it and they are invincible to wrongdoings, but for $50 a year, there is an INSANE amount of value to Plus. Knowing that I am getting a PS4 game on day one, and the dozens of more to come throughout the year puts me at ease. Paying that fee will surely strengthen the PSN servers and allow Sony to provide more functionality to gamers. PSN on PS4 and Xbox LIVE seem very neck and neck right now, which is another selling point Sony has that was unheard of in 2006.

jrDev

Hahahaha, that's it right?? That's exactly the feeling!

1300105223354.gif

(Rewatching that gif though, it kinda makes me sad...)
Wtf, what is this gif from?

Wtf, what is this gif from?
It's from an Australian primary school. Basically the big kid had been picked on for ages, and what that gif doesn't show is the little kid punching him in the face etc.
Edit:Beaten...
Was pretty big news in Australia when it happened.

This industry, man... I'm telling you, nothing else like it.

Looking back on this year, I don't think Sony has dropped the ball once in regards to the PS4. Some may say putting online multiplayer behind a paywall is bad, but I see it as a positive. Not just saying it because Sony did it and they are invincible to wrongdoings, but for $50 a year, there is an INSANE amount of value to Plus. Knowing that I am getting a PS4 game on day one, and the dozens of more to come throughout the year puts me at ease. Paying that fee will surely strengthen the PSN servers and allow Sony to provide more functionality to gamers. PSN on PS4 and Xbox LIVE seem very neck and neck right now, which is another selling point Sony has that was unheard of in 2006.

farisr

I'm actually assuming there are warehouses with them right now. Especially with the 16m launch number they threw out. Would be hard to pull off between now and October otherwise.

Sony never said 16 million at anytime. It's a rumor from the manufacturers. And even then, most people agree, even if the figure is true, that they probably meant 16 million produced by the end of the first year of the console.

Snakeyes

It was powerful, shocking, and genuine. I felt honestly in that moment like I was watching history being created. I still think that. Not the message, but the moment. Regardless of one's feelings and allegiances, there is no doubt that Sony's E3 2013 presser--those moments in particular--was a historic moment in the gaming industry.
Oh, come the fuck on. I like Sony but they merely maintained the status quo while adding a MP paywall.

ST2K

The cynic in me believes that Sony will let the value of PS+ diminish as more and more people join it. There will be no incentive to keep it as good as it has been if people are subbing just for online multiplayer. Hell, there's no guarantee they'll even invest all the money they earn off PS+ back into their online infrastructure. It may just turn into another incarnation of XBL Gold.

I hope I'm wrong. But I fear I'll end up right.

Oh, come the fuck on. I like Sony but they merely maintained the status quo while adding a MP paywall.

that is such a masterful play of words and timing by Sony, they're announcing online multiplayer paywall and the crowd cheer for them, lol.

oh well, since I'm already plus member, it really doesn't effect me, and plus is really a great service on it's own.

That's true. However, they could have easily fucked us over as well and maybe ruined the whole industry in the process. I honestly think by retaining the status quo and giving publishers the middle finger instead of giving in to their shitty demands really was a historic moment. It never really happened before and after countless rumours and 6 months of waiting, many people were honestly scared for their hobby. Watching publishers like EA backtrack after the conference like crazy was a treat as well. It showed that we are still in control and not the media and not the publishers. Twitter campaigns can work, even when the media is laughing at us.

For me it was definitely historic, even though nothing happened.

Finalizer

A genuine, grade-A shit-eating grin if I ever saw one.

Not that he didn't deserve it, but goddamn.

Thanks for these. Nice to see a different perspective on the whole reaction. That belt killed me.

Safe to say, that whole E3 presentation is the stuff of legends by this point. Made all the more hilarious in that the announcement was over something so fucking mundane and expected. I've said it before, MS was the best PR Sony could have ever asked for.

It was powerful, shocking, and genuine. I felt honestly in that moment like I was watching history being created. I still think that. Not the message, but the moment. Regardless of one's feelings and allegiances, there is no doubt that Sony's E3 2013 presser--those moments in particular--was a historic moment in the gaming industry.

I can hear the whoosh going over your head.

Shivin

Neo Member

Heh, I've always wondered what would have happened had Sony been the first up at E3. Is it just me but when you watched the Sony Presser when it came time to announce all the super cool stuff "No DRM, yadda yadda" the slides they were using all the sudden looked like something they slapped together using a powerpoint template? Just saying….Sony historically (PS3) has been pretty content with letting Microsoft announce something…..wait for M$ to take the heat….then go with whatever public opinion dictated…or go how can we turn their failure to our advantage? Pretty smart if you ask me but not exactly what I could call visionary.

Heh, I've always wondered what would have happened had Sony been the first up at E3. Is it just me but when you watched the Sony Presser when it came time to announce all the super cool stuff "No DRM, yadda yadda" the slides they were using all the sudden looked like something they slapped together using a powerpoint template? Just saying….Sony historically (PS3) has been pretty content with letting Microsoft announce something…..wait for M$ to take the heat….then go with whatever public opinion dictated…or go how can we turn their failure to our advantage? Pretty smart if you ask me but not exactly what I could call visionary.
Of course they capitalized on MS's fuck-ups. Smart companies do that. I don't see what that has to do with the PS3. There they tried to do their own thing and failed miserably at the beginning and are still suffering with the losses now. MS maybe was a little bit more ambitious, but they can still piss off with their forced digital future. Sony has cool and ambitious stuff as well with Gaikai without forcing it.

Hyunashi

This. SO MUCH THIS.

I was very shocked to see how many people were impressed with Sony's conference.

While they were probably sub-par ... I blew my load when FFXV and KH3 came on (even with it being on both consoles). That was enough for me and for others I believe.

Now they only announced 1 new first-party game at E3 and I guess it was a risk to not announce more and to save them for a later time (over their competition blowing their load) but the decision paid off with the reaction to the price and NoDRM. Now I would honestly expect more from them in the coming events so hopefully we start seeing new stuff tomorow onwards...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The cynic in me believes that Sony will let the value of PS+ diminish as more and more people join it. There will be no incentive to keep it as good as it has been if people are subbing just for online multiplayer. Hell, there's no guarantee they'll even invest all the money they earn off PS+ back into their online infrastructure. It may just turn into another incarnation of XBL Gold.
The F2P exception they carved out suggests to me otherwise. They've allowed a growing niche to exist as an alternative to the one-size-fits-all subscription. I fully expect F2P games to emerge as a compelling alternative this gen to the typical tentpole MP games.

Shivin said:
Is it just me but when you watched the Sony Presser when it came time to announce all the super cool stuff "No DRM, yadda yadda" the slides they were using all the sudden looked like something they slapped together using a powerpoint template?
It's the same template they used for the Feb. event to unveil the PS4.

Wynnebeck

Banned

This. SO MUCH THIS.

I was very shocked to see how many people were impressed with Sony's conference.

Oh piss off. This was one of the most masterful trolls in E3 history. Right after hearing MS basically fuck over gamers worldwide, everyone was waiting with baited breath to see Sony's responses and they delivered eliciting the response you saw. You two can be sticks in the mud, but to the thousands sitting in that auditorium, that was one of the biggest moments of E3.

May be my favorite E3 moment of all time.

Mine will forever be earlier when Tretton announced no new DRM. Because after the insane work that a ton of us did on the #PS4NoDRM campaign it was like this explosion of happiness and relief. I was like HipHopGamer x1000 but in my house with my wife looking at me like I was on meth.

Bailers

This. SO MUCH THIS.

They knocked MS down with the price, used games, and online. Or I should say, not needing to be online.

They could have said the PS4 runs on the blood of puppies and people would still be cheering after those three punches.

Iacobellis

Mine will forever be earlier when Tretton announced no new DRM. Because after the insane work that a ton of us did on the #PS4NoDRM campaign it was like this explosion of happiness and relief. I was like HipHopGamer x1000 but in my house with my wife looking at me like I was on meth.

I salute you for doing that. Knowing someone very high up at SCEA like Adam Boyes witnessed it happening in real time must be a very pleasing feeling.

jayu26

Well you were the "Architect of the Rebellion". At first I was skeptical, but you never faltered. For that I thank you.

My favorite footage of that was when they showed the crowd and people were standing up and cheering and you see Hip Hop Gamer in the middle of it screaming his fucking head off holding up that wrestling belt. It's absurd and awesome all at once.

My favorite moment of E3 Hip Hop Gamer is a cool guy, and his cheering was awesome considering the moment.

Top Bottom